| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just for You by Kathy Hes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

Can I ask those people who've made the Tomatillo & White Bean Chili, did you add water? The recipe doesn't state to use any but if I stick the other ingredients in my slow cooker without some kind of liquid it will probably incinerate them

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Facebook

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I didn't make any changes to the recipe for the tomatillo chili and it came out fine -- it just doesn't make much. I used an el cheapo Black Friday special slow cooker made by Rival.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:36 pm 
Nailed to the V

karichelle wrote:
I didn't make any changes to the recipe for the tomatillo chili and it came out fine -- it just doesn't make much. I used an el cheapo Black Friday special slow cooker made by Rival.

Thanks! My slow cooker tends to run hot (like surface of the sun hot) so I will probably stick a cup of water in, it will also make it go a bit further!

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Facebook

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:37 pm 
Semen Strong

The Barbecue Soy Curls recipe is so good! We loved it. I made baked potatoes in one slowcooker and the soy curls in the other and we added a salad - a full and yummy meal with no stove or oven time at all!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:46 am 
Nailed to the V

So far I have made Carrot Cake Rice Pudding, Italian Seitan Coins with Mashed Cauliflower & Gravy, Italian Seitan and Pepper Stew, Cheezy Butternut Squash Macaroni , Tomatillo & White Bean Chili (I ended up putting water in which was a mistake), Mashed Indian Veggie Sandwich

Facebook

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:52 am 
Semen Strong

How were they?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:15 am 
Nailed to the V

They were all fantastic

Facebook

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just got this and everything looks amazing. I definitely need to try making one of the creamer recipes and the pumpkin caramel sauce! I'm going to try the tempeh with apples and cabbage tomorrow I think, and I really want to try the cheezy butternut squash macaroni.

My husband works six nights a week and I've ended up throwing leftovers in the bin recently because I got so tired of eating them, so this book should be getting lots of love from me!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:12 am 
Nailed to the V

ComradeSquirrel wrote:
I just got this and everything looks amazing. I definitely need to try making one of the creamer recipes

I made the vanilla hazelnut one and that was a bit of a failure (the only failure so far). The recipe itself is fantastic and tastes great but I think you definitely need a high power blender. Mine just made grainy but very nice tasting mush.

Facebook

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:55 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Star - Good to know, thanks! Maybe I'll the pumpkin caramel first then :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:29 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ok, little update - I tried the tempeh with apples and cabbage. Except that I forgot that I had used up my tempeh so I made it with chickpeas. At first I thought it was a bit bland but as I was eating it I started to really enjoy it! The subtle sweetness of the apple really works.
I also had the vanilla fig oatmeal with baklava topping for breakfast this morning. So good! My slow cooker burned the oatmeal a little bit so I think it must run a bit hot but it wasn't too bad and I salvaged almost all of the oatmeal. I want to try the Indian carrot halwa oatmeal next! Waking up to a nice warm bowl of creamy oatmeal almost makes getting up in the dark worth it... almost ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Star wrote:
ComradeSquirrel wrote:
I just got this and everything looks amazing. I definitely need to try making one of the creamer recipes

I made the vanilla hazelnut one and that was a bit of a failure (the only failure so far). The recipe itself is fantastic and tastes great but I think you definitely need a high power blender. Mine just made grainy but very nice tasting mush.

do you think maybe straining with a cheesecloth will help? sometimes i find i have to do that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:01 am 
Nailed to the V

daisysunshine wrote:
Star wrote:
ComradeSquirrel wrote:

do you think maybe straining with a cheesecloth will help? sometimes i find i have to do that.

I tried putting it through a sieve. Didn't work. It was too thick.

Facebook

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:42 pm 
Semen Strong

I made the Massaman Curry and it was surprisingly delicious! I made it in about 10 minutes, while my kid was napping, and I was worried that there were no onions or garlic in it. But it ended up being beautifully fragrant and rich, and just a perfect curry for a cold evening.

I tripled the recipe because I have a ton of zucchini and potato going off, and I am so excited for the leftovers!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:16 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Tofulish wrote:
The Barbecue Soy Curls recipe is so good! We loved it. I made baked potatoes in one slowcooker and the soy curls in the other and we added a salad - a full and yummy meal with no stove or oven time at all!

Is there a baked potato recipe in there? I just got the book yesterday for my b-day and I cannot wait to flip through it. BBQ soy curls are def. on the "to try" list!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:58 pm 
Semen Strong

There is no recipe but its super easy - just wrap the potatoes in foil and put them into the slow cooker. the Kitchn had a recipe with suggested times to maximize the Mallinard reaction http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-bake-a- ... chn-189271. But I just do 3 to 4 hours on high. They turn out amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:09 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Just tried to make the vanilla hazelnut creamer and think its a fail. It's brown, not white as the pic suggests, it was super super thick, and it was almost burned in 5 hrs in my crockpot on low instead of the stated 7-9 hours.

I'm now trying the chocolate brownie pumpkin quinoa as an overnighter. Added an extra cup of milk just in case.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:15 am 
Nailed to the V

ScooterDiva wrote:
Just tried to make the vanilla hazelnut creamer and think its a fail. It's brown, not white as the pic suggests, it was super super thick

I had the same issue

Facebook

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:51 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

ScooterDiva wrote:
Just tried to make the vanilla hazelnut creamer and think its a fail. It's brown, not white as the pic suggests, it was super super thick, and it was almost burned in 5 hrs in my crockpot on low instead of the stated 7-9 hours.

I'm now trying the chocolate brownie pumpkin quinoa as an overnighter. Added an extra cup of milk just in case.

So both of these recipes were a fail for me...the creamer needed water added to it as it thickened in the fridge and tasted burnt, and didn't care for the texture of the quinoa breakfast at all. At least I've figured out my slow cooker cooks super fast.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:42 pm 

I have the quinoa and lentil taco filling going now, while I'm at work. Hoping to go home to an already-made, no-fuss dinner!

Has anyone tried the homemade seitan, or the dried beans yet?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

Bek wrote:
I have the quinoa and lentil taco filling going now, while I'm at work. Hoping to go home to an already-made, no-fuss dinner!

I made the Italian Seitan Coins, they were OK but I think they are designed to be made and then used in another slow cooker recipe

Facebook

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:42 am 

Star wrote:
Bek wrote:

I made the Italian Seitan Coins, they were OK but I think they are designed to be made and then used in another slow cooker recipe

Good to know. I'm a fan of Terry's seitan from Viva Vegan, but I like to try new things too. I just read your review of the book on your blog! very helpful, thank you!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:48 pm 
Semen Strong

The Korma was delicious!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:58 pm 
Semen Strong

The Tomato Bisque was so easy and so delicious! We all loved it, served with the Vegan Brunch English Muffins. Yumyumyum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I was looking at this, and considering it, but the preview shows a couple recipes that are linked and both need the slow cooker. This seems ridiculous--are we supposed to have a whole chain of baby slow cookers running all day?

I'd have to buy a slow cooker, and aim wondering where I would put it. But this might help me cook more if they are all quick.

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next