| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:43 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 am
Posts: 417
This is also a vegan cookbook. She mentions honey a few times but always have vegan substitutes. It is very similar to her blog with simple plant-based recipes.

I shared my review, a recipe for Almond Butter Fudge (excellent!) and a chance to win a cookbook today:

https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ter-fudge/

_________________
http://tastespace.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:26 am 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:32 pm
Posts: 2193
Yeah, she was a bit snarky about vegansin a recent interview. Given the other authors I would rather support, I'll pass.

Commentary:

http://fatgayvegan.com/2015/01/27/truly-disappointing/

Mat.

_________________
Lady Gaga and Beyonce should run her over with the kitten Wagon for that one comment alone - Torque (speaking of Katy Perry)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:06 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:19 am
Posts: 110
I tried her sweet potato brownie recipe and it was truly the greatest recipe fail I've ever had. I've had success with pumpkin and sweet potatoes in other dessert recipes before (Dreena Burton's chocolate pumpkin pie, for example). But these were spit-out-and-throw-in-the-trash disgusting. The recipe called for 2 large sweet potatoes and 4 TB of cocoa powder - that right there should've tipped me off that these would basically just taste like bitter sweet potatoes, and made me question the author's recipe development skills.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:20 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:34 pm
Posts: 262
Location: Chicago, IL
matwinser wrote:
Yeah, she was a bit snarky about vegansin a recent interview. Given the other authors I would rather support, I'll pass.


Whoa, that was a very disappointing read. I don't want to support her either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:01 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 am
Posts: 417
matwinser wrote:
Yeah, she was a bit snarky about vegans in a recent interview. Given the other authors I would rather support, I'll pass.

Commentary:

http://fatgayvegan.com/2015/01/27/truly-disappointing/

Mat.


That would explain why I couldn't find a thread for the cookbook. I figured it had to be one, but alas. I didn't know about her thoughts about veganism.

Angela from Oh She Glows also stopped labelling herself as vegan - is that just as egregious?

_________________
http://tastespace.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:17 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:05 am
Posts: 413
matwinser wrote:
Yeah, she was a bit snarky about vegansin a recent interview. Given the other authors I would rather support, I'll pass.


That's disappointing but not surprising, I suppose. She makes clear in her book that she adopted her diet solely for reasons of health and that readers should feel free to add meat and cheese at will.

Having made her berry scones, I find it very had to believe that the picture in her book is of the actual recipe. I always follow baking recipes exactly and instead of beautiful golden scones I ended up with leaden masses that never cooked all the way through despite leaving them in the oven for more than three times the baking time.

I bought the book not knowing that the family (bar one) is no longer involved in the business, so I assumed I'd get the full weight of Sainsbury's test kitchens behind the recipes. (Mummy! I want a cooking blog! And I want to be a cookbook author! Make them to do it RIGHT NOW!) Clearly, I had that wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:22 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm
Posts: 1953
Location: Berlin
saveur wrote:
matwinser wrote:
Yeah, she was a bit snarky about vegans in a recent interview. Given the other authors I would rather support, I'll pass.

Commentary:

http://fatgayvegan.com/2015/01/27/truly-disappointing/

Mat.


That would explain why I couldn't find a thread for the cookbook. I figured it had to be one, but alas. I didn't know about her thoughts about veganism.

Angela from Oh She Glows also stopped labelling herself as vegan - is that just as egregious?


As dissapointing as Oh She Glows not longer labelling herself vegan, that's hardly the same, she did so because she was annoyed by people telling her she wasn't vegan for not bringing her child up vegan, so she said "oh well, if you say Im not vegan, than Im not vegan". Which is dumb, but not the same. Deliciously Ella was never vegan, has a really negative attitude towards it and profits from veganism being trendy.

_________________
lepelaar wrote:
The PPK is a mere cooking seminar for flexitarians who believe in the good of man, but might be a good resource for 3d video expertise and ready-made inhumane slaughterhouse timelines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:52 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 am
Posts: 417
LaurenL wrote:
I tried her sweet potato brownie recipe and it was truly the greatest recipe fail I've ever had. I've had success with pumpkin and sweet potatoes in other dessert recipes before (Dreena Burton's chocolate pumpkin pie, for example). But these were spit-out-and-throw-in-the-trash disgusting. The recipe called for 2 large sweet potatoes and 4 TB of cocoa powder - that right there should've tipped me off that these would basically just taste like bitter sweet potatoes, and made me question the author's recipe development skills.


I came across this review (below) when searching for her recipes and thought of this. Although she didn't say she didn't like the taste, just that her hubby didn't like it and it was too difficult to make. Sometimes I wonder how it could be her most popular recipe?? (I haven't tried it)
http://adventures-of-a-twenty-something ... ie-review/

_________________
http://tastespace.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:49 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:19 am
Posts: 110
saveur wrote:
I came across this review (below) when searching for her recipes and thought of this. Although she didn't say she didn't like the taste, just that her hubby didn't like it and it was too difficult to make. Sometimes I wonder how it could be her most popular recipe?? (I haven't tried it)
http://adventures-of-a-twenty-something ... ie-review/


Hah! "A little funky" is a very polite way of putting how these tasted. Also, a very sad waste of expensive ingredients (almond flour, maple syrup, medjool dates).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:41 pm 
Offline
Writes Vegan Haiku
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:01 am
Posts: 25
Really disappointed to read her comments on veganism. I enjoy following her blog (mainly for aesthetic reasons..) but have only ever tried one of her recipes before-- a beet soup that was actually pretty good. Her recipes, at least on the blog, seem poorly written and unprofessional. I watched one of her cooking videos that she posts and was kinda freaked out by some techniques. Like, a recipe she was making called for a cup of something. In her video she says she doesn't use measuring cups, she'll just grab whatever mug or cup she has available (!). This works fine if you're making something loosey-goosey like granola or a smoothie but not baking!!! I checked out her Amazon reviews and there are a lot that are pretty illuminating. A lot of money seems to have gone into this project and I think somewhere along the line Ella's crew did her a diservice. She should have worked with an established chef on this or at least had proper testing and editing...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:49 am 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 5162
Location: Surrey, UK
I just bought the book and I like the look of some recipes but I do have some doubts about the recipes for baked goods in the books. How are they going to rise and be anything more than a solid lump with no raising agents? But I am going to attempt the sweet potato brownies and see if she proves me wrong.

I did try the dates and almond butter last night, which I know is not really a recipe, but it was a very yummy snack that I wouldn't have thought of before.

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:04 am 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 5162
Location: Surrey, UK
I made my first recipe from this book; the baked beans. I'm a hater of heinz baked beans so wasn't sure how these would be. They were nice but I didn't love them, they were very very tomatoey, which isn't a bad thing, they were just a bit overpowering for me. HG LOVED them though. He said please please make them regularly!

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:49 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 am
Posts: 417
I made those beans, too, and agreed they were a bit too one-dimensional to me (very tomatoey!). I added some vegan Worcestershire sauce and that really helped.

_________________
http://tastespace.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:43 pm 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 5162
Location: Surrey, UK
Oh that's a good idea. I'll try that next time.

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:32 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs

Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 1368
Location: Yorkshire, UK
baps wrote:
I did try the dates and almond butter last night, which I know is not really a recipe, but it was a very yummy snack that I wouldn't have thought of before.

I agree about the dates. I love them with cashew butter too!
I find this book very hit & miss. It uses ALOT of very expensive ingredients and I'm not sure that her quantities are always correct. Not keen on her mug measures either. What does she mean mug? In one of her videos she does use a blue & white mug.
I made the Berry Cheesecake which was tasty but it cost a fortune. Also it was kind of difficult to know if I should keep it in the freezer or fridge. In the freezer it went too hard & it was too cold to get the full effect of the flavour. In the fridge one of the layers started to melt.
I was also not keen on the sweet potato brownies. I don't think she should have called them brownies because they are not! Maybe, if I wan't thinking brownie, I might of liked it more. I won't make them again, a lot of faff & expense for something that's not that nice.
I did like the black bean chilli. I mixed all the ingredients together (it was VERY quick) & just put it in the fridge then I cooked a portion each night for dinner.
The cinnamon pecan granola was very good but it makes ALOT & cost about £9 in ingredients!

Last night I made the quinoa & turmeric fritters. I was again a bit worried about the measurements. She say 1 large sweet potato (340g) I needed 3 potatoes to make that weight. However they were quite tasty. I re-heated two for tea tonight & they were a little bit dry. I think I'd only make this if I needed to use up some quinoa. I ate it with the pan con tomate which was scrummy.

I don't think this book is as good as Oh She Glows but it does have a few nice things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:29 am 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 5162
Location: Surrey, UK
Yes this is what puts me off pretty much ALL of the desserts; a lot of expensive ingredients. And her measurements are probably not the same as mine would be. If you watch her videos, she says a tablespoon but then uses a huge serving spoon, not a tablespoon! The mug thing bothers me too, I wish she'd just buy some measuring cups! They are cheap and available in pretty much every supermarket.

I agree, the OSG book is better, but I like this one for a few ideas for healthy swaps.

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:28 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:54 pm
Posts: 308
Location: Ireland
baps wrote:
The mug thing bothers me too, I wish she'd just buy some measuring cups! They are cheap and available in pretty much every supermarket.


That made me laugh because I saw an interview with her in the Sunday Times a few months ago and her family own Sainsburys.

_________________
http://blueberryblossoms.blogspot.ie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:45 am 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 5162
Location: Surrey, UK
Blueberry wrote:
baps wrote:
The mug thing bothers me too, I wish she'd just buy some measuring cups! They are cheap and available in pretty much every supermarket.


That made me laugh because I saw an interview with her in the Sunday Times a few months ago and her family own Sainsburys.

Do they?? HA! that's why she can afford infinite volumes of dates and cashew nuts haha

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:56 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:22 am
Posts: 1037
Location: Midlands, UK
Yeah she is not exactly struggling for money. A lot of the new "healthy instagram" crowd seem to not know that much about affordability. Deliciously Ella herself has a page "debunking" the idea that it's expensive to eat like her. Even though she readily admits you actually need things like tahini, almond butter, dates, nuts, quinoa etc. Apparently if you buy it all in bulk it's just not expensive. And as for fresh produce, well, simply visit your local market, and then keep frozen fruit in the freezer!

It's so out of touch it's almost infuriating. Even buying in bulk online most of these ingredients come out pretty expensive. And there's not to mention the hassle of ordering food online, being in to take the delivery, or having to arrange to pick it up from royal mail (which is only open in working hours). Simulator markets - you have to have the time and energy to get to the market multiple times a week. I was introduced to her website as a health thing, seeing as she claims that it cured her of chronic illness, but I just don't have the energy to either walk to the local market or pay to catch a bus there. And I only have a small house which means a small freezer, which is usually full of bread, frozen peas, and leftovers, I can't fit a market in there.

Maybe this should go in the privilege thread or something but it just seems so dense. Someone who has never had to worry about money telling others that it is "affordable" - yeah, if you have all the other things that come with being rich to start with.

_________________
blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:18 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:54 pm
Posts: 308
Location: Ireland
vixki wrote:
Yeah she is not exactly struggling for money. A lot of the new "healthy instagram" crowd seem to not know that much about affordability. Deliciously Ella herself has a page "debunking" the idea that it's expensive to eat like her. Even though she readily admits you actually need things like tahini, almond butter, dates, nuts, quinoa etc. Apparently if you buy it all in bulk it's just not expensive. And as for fresh produce, well, simply visit your local market, and then keep frozen fruit in the freezer!

It's so out of touch it's almost infuriating. Even buying in bulk online most of these ingredients come out pretty expensive. And there's not to mention the hassle of ordering food online, being in to take the delivery, or having to arrange to pick it up from royal mail (which is only open in working hours). Simulator markets - you have to have the time and energy to get to the market multiple times a week. I was introduced to her website as a health thing, seeing as she claims that it cured her of chronic illness, but I just don't have the energy to either walk to the local market or pay to catch a bus there. And I only have a small house which means a small freezer, which is usually full of bread, frozen peas, and leftovers, I can't fit a market in there.

Maybe this should go in the privilege thread or something but it just seems so dense. Someone who has never had to worry about money telling others that it is "affordable" - yeah, if you have all the other things that come with being rich to start with.


Yeah I agree. I don't use Instagram so I'm not the most knowledgeable about the "healthy instagram" crowd, but it seems to me that some people are using expensive superfoods as an austentacious status symbol.

_________________
http://blueberryblossoms.blogspot.ie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:18 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:54 pm
Posts: 308
Location: Ireland
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/Mag ... 544338.ece

The full article is behind a paywall but you can see the intro about Ella and her mother, the "Sainsburys heiress".

_________________
http://blueberryblossoms.blogspot.ie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deliciously Ella cookbook
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:45 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 am
Posts: 417
This was a funny article about cooking through her cookbook:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... again.html

_________________
http://tastespace.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer