| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One Dish Vegan by Robin Robertson
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:09 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Did anyone do any recipe testing for this book? It's due out September 10th and although the Amazon description for it sounds good, the reviews from Amazon Vine customers are definitely mixed.

I pre-ordered it since I have a fondness for Robin, even if I do end up tweaking her recipes.

Post subject: Re: One Dish Vegan by Robin Robertson
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i can not wait. i don't mind robin's recipes at all, and i generally find them very figure friendly too! :)
i was concerned that this would be a re-tred but after talking to robin, most of the recipes have been revamped from one dish vegetarian, (significantly) and there are 50 new recipes. so worth the purchase.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i have no idea what amazon vine is, but i have the one-dish book on my wishlist and will most likely buy it once it's officially available for purchase.

i have quite a few of robin's books -- quick fix vegan, party vegan, and the meat & potatoes vegetarian book (very vegan friendly) --- and really enjoy them. i've made plenty of her recipes, a couple my hubby & i weren't fond of, but that was our own personal taste preferences, and nothing to do with her recipe.

i'll most likely get this title because i love the one dish concept, but i am way more excited about her quick fix vegan (sequel!) cookbook that is coming out in feb or march of 2014.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

this book is now available for purchase on bn.com
still in pre-order status on amazon.com

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/one-dis ... 1558328129

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:18 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ok, strange, last night you could add it to your cart, now you can't.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:16 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

bookwormbethie wrote:
i have no idea what amazon vine is, but i have the one-dish book on my wishlist and will most likely buy it once it's officially available for purchase.

i have quite a few of robin's books -- quick fix vegan, party vegan, and the meat & potatoes vegetarian book (very vegan friendly) --- and really enjoy them. i've made plenty of her recipes, a couple my hubby & i weren't fond of, but that was our own personal taste preferences, and nothing to do with her recipe.

i'll most likely get this title because i love the one dish concept, but i am way more excited about her quick fix vegan (sequel!) cookbook that is coming out in feb or march of 2014.

From what I understand, Amazon Vine is a review program where reviewers get pre-released copies of books and other materials for their reviews of said materials.

And I hope I didn't sound like I was knocking Robin. I really like her cookbooks and her 1000 Vegan Recipes was the first vegan cookbook that I bought.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

'party vegan' was the first cookbook i bought from robin, i also forgot to add that i have her 'vegan on the cheap' title too. i think i want to see 'one dish vegan' in person before i order it since i'm still on the fence about it, although if the pre-order price dips low enough, i might just get it once it's officially released. wish there was a recipe list somewhere. definitely will order QFV2 sight unseen -- a lot of hubby's fave recipes come from QFV.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:44 am 
Saggy Butt

Mines shipping! This was a complete surprise as the release date just kept getting pushed back on Book Depository.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yeah, on bn.com it keeps switching back from that you can order it to pre-order status. yesterday i could have bought robin's new book but i didn't and now it's back to pre-order. that is really really weird. oh well, the other pre-order book that released early (julie hasson's pizza book) i bought and is being delivered to me today so i can't complain ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

darksideknitter wrote:
Mines shipping! This was a complete surprise as the release date just kept getting pushed back on Book Depository.

definitely report back your opinion, i'm still on the fence about this one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:53 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I really wish Amazon would have the Look Inside feature available. The book is available for shipping on the 10th and still not much information. I have it on pre-order and will report when I get it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:58 am 
WRETCHED

I'm watching. I think Robin Robertson's cookbooks are very beginner friendly although not always the most tasteful but usually simple enough to make up for it. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

bookwormbethie wrote:
darksideknitter wrote:

definitely report back your opinion, i'm still on the fence about this one.

Alright, they e-mailed to say it had been released and they were processing my order ready to ship, yet it still hasn't actually shipped. It's had a week of processing. This does not bode well, the last time this happened was with Nut Butter Universe and they cancelled and refunded my order due to "unavailability". :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:32 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My copy arrived yesterday from Amazon! I really love the concept of having one main dish. There are so many recipes that I have already bookmarked to make. I can't wait to start cooking from the book!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:19 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Jeni7282 wrote:
My copy arrived yesterday from Amazon! I really love the concept of having one main dish. There are so many recipes that I have already bookmarked to make. I can't wait to start cooking from the book!

You lucky duck! Mine has not even shipped from Amazon. I emailed to complain and was given a pat reply from their customer service about how it should arrive within the estimated delivery times. Well the front end of that time is tomorrow.

I pre-ordered my copy but apparently that doesn't matter. Next time I won't bother.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:52 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Amazon seems to be increasingly inconsistent. I got my preordered copy the day before yesterday (coincidentally, I live 6 miles from Centreville, Silvergirl). The shipping notice and the book arrived on the same day. I'm so happy to have this book, I'm a big Robin Robertson fan, and there are lots of recipes I want to try in this one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hey Zinnia, we're neighbors! Are you closer into DC or further out?

According to Amazon, it is shipping now and should be delivered tomorrow, so I completely agree with your inconsistent statement. I am excited to finally get this book!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
I'm watching. I think Robin Robertson's cookbooks are very beginner friendly although not always the most tasteful but usually simple enough to make up for it. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.

This is how I feel about her books too, and I own several of them. Fire & Spice is probably the most flavorful, and I usually still add heat. Keeping my ears open about this one though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:06 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm thinking of making the fusilli with creamy summer vegetable sauce today. Kind of torn between this and trying out the pizza book. Pesto pizza is sounding good, too.

Silvergirl, I'm further south, in Manassas. We are neighbors, almost!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:20 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I finally got my copy on Friday and Saturday I made the Jambalya dish. It was quite tasty and spicy enough for my husband, who likes it spicy. The only tweak I had to do was cook the rice longer and that may be because of the rice I used, not any fault of the recipe. I have plans to make a few more dishes this week, so I will give a fuller review after that but I have to say, I like the looks of this cookbook. There are a lot of recipes that I want to make!

Zinnia, yep we arethisclose to being neighbors!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:07 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm so frustrated. I made two dishes this week, the artichoke pasta bake and the butternut squash, potato, spinach casserole. I added extra seasoning and vegan cheese and they're both super bland and not very tasty. Husband took a bite of each and didn't like either so now I'm stuck with two casseroles that I have to eat all of or toss. What a waste of time and ingredients. The other recipes don't really sound very flavorful either.

If anyone wants to trade for this book, it's all yours.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

couroupita wrote:
I'm so frustrated. I made two dishes this week, the artichoke pasta bake and the butternut squash, potato, spinach casserole. I added extra seasoning and vegan cheese and they're both super bland and not very tasty. Husband took a bite of each and didn't like either so now I'm stuck with two casseroles that I have to eat all of or toss. What a waste of time and ingredients. The other recipes don't really sound very flavorful either.

If anyone wants to trade for this book, it's all yours.

that's a major bummer since the two recipes you tried sound tasty in theory and the loss of money for ingredients.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:37 am 
Saggy Butt

My copy arrived today, I've lined the family up for dinner tomorrow night so I can try the linguine with red lentil sauce. It seems fairly pantry friendly, although I will have to pick up more carrots.
The chili chapter looks interesting, I notice hot chilli powder is called for quite often. I've got some of that knocking about, although I'm not sure how I feel about 3 Tbsps in some of the recipes. I think I may try with a fraction less and work up as I see how things come out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:22 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have made a couple of the dishes from the cookbook. The Lebanese bread salad is pretty good and I think an exact duplicate of her Fattoush salad in Vegan Planet; the hoisin glazed tofu with bok choy was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too salty so I quickly made kung pao tofu (I had bottled sauce) instead; and the garlic lover's chili. I cut back on the chili powder considerably. Had I not done that, it would have been overwhelming. As darksideknitter noted, she does call for 3 tbsps of chili powder quite a bit in the chili recipes.

So, some mixed results so far. I will keep making recipes but will also be prepared to do some tweaking.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

darksideknitter wrote:
My copy arrived today, I've lined the family up for dinner tomorrow night so I can try the linguine with red lentil sauce. It seems fairly pantry friendly, although I will have to pick up more carrots.
The chili chapter looks interesting, I notice hot chilli powder is called for quite often. I've got some of that knocking about, although I'm not sure how I feel about 3 Tbsps in some of the recipes. I think I may try with a fraction less and work up as I see how things come out.

While I haven't seen the recipe you are referring to, remember that American chili powder is a blend of spices and isn't particularly hot.

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next