| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Superfood Smoothies
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:24 am 
WRETCHED

I figured I should start a thread about this book which I love. Prior to buying it, I had read that it had called for a lot of special ingredients including acai powder, goji berries and the such but I decided to go for it anyway. The rebuttals for those comments were that they were used in such small ingredients that these high priced items lasted a long time or could be omitted easily which was my finding.

Each of the smoothie recipes is for 2 smoothies so it is easy to half the recipe or save the other half for later. The recipes also hardly use bananas which is a bonus for people who are either allergic, don't like the taste or want to mix up their smoothies. And some of the recipes do call for nuts or almond milk. I use whatever milk I have available but there aren't a lot of recipes with nuts. The cookie dough calls for pecans and I've seen a couple call for cashew but it isn't an overwhelming part of the book. The beginning of the book has a good general overview of ingredients found in the book. Oh and none of the recipes have calorie information which is something I appreciate right now as I move away from calorie counting.

This morning I made the cookie dough one which reminds me of a cookies n cream milk shake. The specialty ingredients called for in the shake were lucuma powder, maca powder and cocoa nibs. I had seen lucuma powder in the sugar aisle of my grocery store so figured it was something I could pass up, the maca powder was a small amount (1 tsp for 2 shakes) but I had some, otherwise it could've been omitted. The cocoa nibs which I already had were pretty vital to the shake. So the only thing I omitted here was the lucuma powder. Oh and chia seeds were an optional add in which even though I had them, I skipped.

Other smoothies I've tried and liked:
Blueberry Goji (chia and goji are specialty ingredients here - goji is easily omitted or substituted for other berry such as raspberry)
Raspberry Peach (chia is specialty ingredient here - could be omitted but I think chia is a pretty good smoothie ingredient)
Blueberry Maqui ( maqui powder here but could be omitted as well)
Green Tea Goji (Goji is specialty ingredient here, I'd substitute for other berry rather than omit)

Personally, I feel that even though I splurged for goji berries and acai powder, the recipes use such small amounts that they aren't critical to the ingredients list or can be easily swapped for other more local/cheaper berries.

Also, it is a personal thing for me but I don't think Aloe juice is a good thing based on what I've read on NIH's pubmed. She does have a couple recipes with aloe juice, I'd personally just use water.

Post subject: Re: Superfood Smoothies
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:24 am 
Nailed to the V

Great synopsis, linanil. You've convinced me to get this one over the 365 smoothie book. I regularly keep chia, goji, and maca powder around for smoothies, and as you said I don't eat bananas, which makes this one more practical. That cookie dough one sounds divine!

I also like the idea of experimenting with other types of powder, such as lucuma, mesquite, and maqui. I see them in the store but I never splurge on them because I don't know how to use them. With this book, I think I would be able to learn how to incorporate them. Does this book use the steel cut oats trick, too?

Thanks, too, for mentioning that calories aren't listed, as I am also trying to put the brakes on my calorie obsession. I think this book is just what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:47 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have this cookbook and have made a few smoothies (unfortunately none are springing to mind!) and I have liked every one of them. Her instructions are clear and concise and she gives good information on making the smoothie (i.e. what ingredient to put in first, etc.) Plus the cookbook has photographs that are quite enticing!

As linanil said, you use a small amount of the superfoods in the recipes, thereby justifying the cost. I have noticed that my local Whole Foods tends to sell most of these so you won't have to pay for shipping on top of the base price.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:24 am 
WRETCHED

I looked to see if any recipes had oats and 2 are listed but funnily enough, those recipes also contain bananas!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:39 am 
Nailed to the V

Hmm, weird about the bananas being in the oat ones, but I'm sure they could easily be omitted, right?

I finally ordered this. The Amazon price dropped to 8.47 so I took it as a sign :) Can't wait for it to get here!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:03 am 
Saggy Butt

I actually really like this cookbook, too. I want to try so many more smoothies.

I shard my favourite (so far) today - the Lucuma Macadamia Smoothie along with a giveaway for the book!

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2014/01 ... -giveaway/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:55 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Bumping as I'm just thinking about getting this. Linanil, when you say goji berries, do you mean the dried things?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:48 pm 
WRETCHED

hey! the goji berries were dried

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:14 pm 

Thanks! I randomly bought those, and I haven't done anything with them. Now I'm tempted to get this book. Or maybe I'll just chuck them in some smoothies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:36 pm 
WRETCHED

Just throw them in!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:12 pm 

I'm tempted to yell, 'Surprise!' and throw them in like confetti!