| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Cheesy Vegan by John Schlimm
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Zula, I made the cheddar and it grated just fine. Was your agar totally and completely dissolved? I had to stir mine for a little longer than the minutes to get to that point. I am toying with the idea of swapping the agar out with carrageenan on a future batch... My understanding (I think) from Miyoko's posts is that the latter melts better than the former?

So I made the cheddar and the cream cheese so I could make the seasoned mac and cheese. The mac and cheese was really good. I think Miyoko's cheeses are better for just eating (and I know its not fair to come to that conclusion as I've only made the 2 from this book). The culturing really does lend some depth. However, I love how these are fast and easy and much more calorically friendly. (I think I calc'd that an ounce of this cheddar was around 35 kcal whereas Miyoko's are about 100.) I definitely think both books have their places and I like having the option to choose between the two.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:49 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I thought the agar was totally dissolved; I had to turn up the heat from low and stir for quite a bit longer than the 5-10 mins suggested. However, there were a few specks left on the bottom of the pan, so maybe that was the problem. Hmm...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

beethecookie wrote:
I tried my first recipe from this book, the mozzarella cheese. I made it to put on pizza. It worked great as a pizza topping, but it's still slightly saucy in the fridge. Like, there's no way I could slice it cuz it's just a thick puddle of goo.

But it's a very tasty puddle of goo!

Amen to this.

I'm 0-for-1 with this book thus far: I also made the mozzarella for pizza last night, and I don't foresee making it again.

I eventually opted for another homemade meltable mozz for my pizza, after tasting and seeing the final product: it's a nice umami, cheese-ish flavor, but the tahini carries a prominent flavor, and the texture is that of a thick cheese sauce - even after cooling it overnight and trying it on a pizza this morning. [I ended up making calzone because the globs of the mozz (slices are impossible) really weighed down the crust, making a smooth transfer from the pizza peel to the pizza stone impossible without folding it up and hoisting it.]

Oozing out of the calzone, it does stretch a bit, and again, the taste is pleasing, but it's not what I'd call a satisfying mozzarella cheese replacement (after enjoying other homemade meltables on a regular basis, which really come close to the rich, salty, cheesy texture and taste I recall so fondly).

On the positive side, it's easy to make, and pantry-friendly (no "oddball" ingredients like carrageenan, or refined coconut oil, both of which I'm now well-stocked from my prior vegan cheese-making), and probably perfect for those with allergies (since there is a water option in lieu of soymilk). I would imagine it appealing to those who found AVC, et al, daunting or too time-consuming or complicated to consider.

I wasn't planning to post yet, till I could try a few more recipes, but saw bee's comment about the goo, and decided to chime in. =) Bee, did you also use the soy milk? I wonder if the water would make a difference in final texture?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

VeganVamp wrote:
beethecookie wrote:
I tried my first recipe from this book, the mozzarella cheese. I made it to put on pizza. It worked great as a pizza topping, but it's still slightly saucy in the fridge. Like, there's no way I could slice it cuz it's just a thick puddle of goo.

But it's a very tasty puddle of goo!

Amen to this.

I'm 0-for-1 with this book thus far: I also made the mozzarella for pizza last night, and I don't foresee making it again.

I eventually opted for another homemade meltable mozz for my pizza, after tasting and seeing the final product: it's a nice umami, cheese-ish flavor, but the tahini carries a prominent flavor, and the texture is that of a thick cheese sauce - even after cooling it overnight and trying it on a pizza this morning. [I ended up making calzone because the globs of the mozz (slices are impossible) really weighed down the crust, making a smooth transfer from the pizza peel to the pizza stone impossible without folding it up and hoisting it.]

Oozing out of the calzone, it does stretch a bit, and again, the taste is pleasing, but it's not what I'd call a satisfying mozzarella cheese replacement (after enjoying other homemade meltables on a regular basis, which really come close to the rich, salty, cheesy texture and taste I recall so fondly).

On the positive side, it's easy to make, and pantry-friendly (no "oddball" ingredients like carrageenan, or refined coconut oil, both of which I'm now well-stocked from my prior vegan cheese-making), and probably perfect for those with allergies (since there is a water option in lieu of soymilk). I would imagine it appealing to those who found AVC, et al, daunting or too time-consuming or complicated to consider.

I wasn't planning to post yet, till I could try a few more recipes, but saw bee's comment about the goo, and decided to chime in. =) Bee, did you also use the soy milk? I wonder if the water would make a difference in final texture?

I used water, not soymilk. Yeah, I do wonder if that would have helped, but I'm thinking probably not too much. And I'm kinda scared to try again and potentially come up with the same results. Still, the cheese tastes good as long as you don't try it expecting it to be just like dairy mozzarella. This book's mozz is something else entirely.

I also made the cream cheese and cheddar this morning, just like emmalv. I'm planning on turning these into the seasoned mac n cheese for dinner later this evening. On first glance, the cream cheese looks like super loose dairy cream cheese, and the cheddar looks convincingly like a block of dairy cheddar. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Beethecookie, yes, the cream cheese is loose, not helped that I added too much lemon juice to mine. I would compare my version more to a sour cream than cream cheese; it was delicious with pierogi's! And fine for the mac and cheese of course.

For cream cheese on a bagel I'm sticking with Miyoko's basic cashew cheese doctored up with sundried tomatoes or scallions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

Okay, the verdict on the mac and cheese: yummy!

I have to admit, I was really skeptical about putting the raw pasta noodles in the cheese sauce and then baking the whole thing that way. At 30 minutes in the oven, the noodles were still crunchy. I added an additional cup of soy milk in at that point, and my noodles worked out perfect! Oh, I did use a pound of pasta instead of the 8 oz. the book called for.

But it all was delicious and I would make it again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:21 am 
Huffs Nooch

emmalv wrote:
Beethecookie, yes, the cream cheese is loose, not helped that I added too much lemon juice to mine. I would compare my version more to a sour cream than cream cheese; it was delicious with pierogi's! And fine for the mac and cheese of course.

For cream cheese on a bagel I'm sticking with Miyoko's basic cashew cheese doctored up with sundried tomatoes or scallions.

I'm wanting to make that cashew cream cheese but I'm having trouble finding unsweetened soy/almond/coconut yogurt anywhere. Do people just use the plain stuff even though it's sweetened or are people making their own yogurt? I checked at whole foods and a couple health food stores around me and nobody had any.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

BowtoLordSeitan, I make my own yogurt out of plain unsweetened soy. If you aren't willing to do so (but really, entertain the idea - its so much cheaper than buying yogurt and its so easy) I would think the plain sweetened might work? If its too sweet for your taste, I'd prbly do this: divide it up in 2 batches and make 1 into a sweet cream cheese - just own the sweetness, maybe blend it with strawberries? The other batch I'd try and make more savory and see if that overcomes the sweetness: add garlic powder and green onions, roasted peppers, or sundried tomato.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:05 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Good idea. I do love strawberry cream cheese. I already got some plain sweetened almond yogurt to give it a shot with.. Will report how it goes!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:22 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I made the Cheddar today and it looks fine but I don't think it tastes that great (a bit weak). It might be that the flavour will develop after its been left overnight. It could also be that I can't remember what Cheese tastes like so was expecting more flavour. I will probably increase the amount of nooch/onion/garlic next time

π

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:28 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

The cheddar doesn't have that sharpness/depth that dairy versions have, but that's to be expected (to me anyway) since it didn't culture or age. However, I really like how it melts nicely and it does do the job as an ingredient (versus just hacking off a slice and eating it). For mine, I went a little heavy on the mustard it seems, so I will cut that back next time. Today I think I'm going to make the mozzarella.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:32 am 

emmalv wrote:
The cheddar doesn't have that sharpness/depth that dairy versions have, but that's to be expected (to me anyway) since it didn't culture or age.

Thank you - at least I know I didn't do anything wrong, it will probably taste better warm as well.

From a cooking point of view I loved it, quick and simple to make

π

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:14 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Made the spicy mac attack last night. However, I didn't have cream cheese so I used AVC gruyere instead. It was sooo good. If you dig spicy, I recommend this one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I also made the jack, which was great on quesadillas last night. Also made the mozzarella, which I tweaked a little bit... I use mozz solely for pizzas and wanted it to be shreddy and melty, so instead of just dumping in the soy milk with the rest of the ingredients I melted 1 tsp of carrageenan in it first and then combined with everything else. Its absolutely shreddy but the meltiness like dairy is still ever-so-elusive. The experimenting shall go on! I seem to be able to get meltiness at microwave temps but just not oven temps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

when I made the mozz - it never hardened but then I was using it for pizza pockets so it was exactly how I liked it. I use orginal almond milk for everything, and i never had a "ugh it tastes sweet" moment yet. [knock on wood]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

So daisysunshine, are you saying that it was more melty if I were to have made the recipe as is?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:02 am 
Nailed to the V

Yesterday I made the swiss cheese, and then I used that to sort of make the skillet macaroni from the book. I think the title of it is something like Parmesan Swiss Cheddar Skillet Macaroni. I used the swiss and then I threw in leftover queso dip from the superbowl dinner we had the other night. Otherwise I followed the recipe. It was really good. I was impressed with the swiss; I don't know how similar it is to actual dairy swiss, but I thought it was delicious. It worked well with the pasta and the other cheese I used. It all turned out super creamy and luscious.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:15 pm 

I made the cheddar again but doubled the nooch, onion & garlic. It tasted the same as last time so I have given up on that.
I made the Jack yesterday and for some reason thought it would be a super sharp/spicy cheese (I've never tried Monteray Jack). I tried it while it was still runny and didn't like it because I could still taste the silken tofu, but once it had set I thought I had gone wrong because it was a mild but tasty white cheese - really nice. It was only after googling it that I found out its supposed to be that way!

π

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the wine cheese. Eh. I'm keeping it in hopes it will work will in a dish, but as a slice for crackers type of cheese, a nut-based (and prbly cultured) cheese is where its at.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:42 am 
Nailed to the V

I made the four cheese baked rigatoni dish, but I made so many modifications to it that it probably didn't turn out anything like the original recipe. I didn't make the ricotta for it, and I used probably half the mozzarella that was called for. I thought it was just meh, unfortunately. My son and hubby liked it just fine, but I was disappointed. I think I'm realizing that I don't miss cheese that much after all, which I guess is a good thing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:56 pm 
Tofu Pup

I found this book really good, I guess. I made the mozzarella and it was a bit watery but tasted nice. Also Robin has lost his mind.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:45 am 

I made the Hot Chili Bean Casserole which I really enjoyed, but wasn't a fan of the Tomato Gratin with Cheddar Crumb (I felt there was way too much garlic).
I made the Cheesy Houmous for lunch this week and its fantastic. My favourite recipe so far

π