| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan Chocolate by Fran Costigan
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:25 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Bananadreams wrote:
I've made the Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies, Magic Cookie Bars, Opera Cake, and I've got the Chocolate Cherry Miroir Cake setting up in the fridge.

The cookies took me 2 tries to get the texture right; ended up adding another tablespoon of flour or so. The bars were delicious the second and third day after making them, as I kind of get sick of chocolate the day I make these :).

I made the Opera cake for a baptism, and it was pretty amazing! You really have to make sure you refrigerate the cake between layer building, so that it doesn't slide around on you. I'll admit I'm seriously impatient, but I forced myself to split the prep time into 2 days to get it right.

The Miroir cake is a bit of a favorite of mine right now. Cherries and raspberry liqueur NOMZ! I did alter the sizing a bit and made two 6 inch mini cakes after doubling the cake batter (GF version). The remainder I made into cake balls with more of the cherry preserves/raspberry liqueur mixture and mousse. So tired of chocolate...but...can't stop :P I also subbed the agar powder for the required flakes and just reduced the amount. Seems to have turned out okay. I'll post pictures later

Would like to makde the opera cake, but seems a bit intimidating all the steps. Is it easy, depsite all the steps?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:03 am 
Tofu Pup

otherdimension wrote:
Bananadreams wrote:
I've made the Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies, Magic Cookie Bars, Opera Cake, and I've got the Chocolate Cherry Miroir Cake setting up in the fridge.

The cookies took me 2 tries to get the texture right; ended up adding another tablespoon of flour or so. The bars were delicious the second and third day after making them, as I kind of get sick of chocolate the day I make these :).

I made the Opera cake for a baptism, and it was pretty amazing! You really have to make sure you refrigerate the cake between layer building, so that it doesn't slide around on you. I'll admit I'm seriously impatient, but I forced myself to split the prep time into 2 days to get it right.

The Miroir cake is a bit of a favorite of mine right now. Cherries and raspberry liqueur NOMZ! I did alter the sizing a bit and made two 6 inch mini cakes after doubling the cake batter (GF version). The remainder I made into cake balls with more of the cherry preserves/raspberry liqueur mixture and mousse. So tired of chocolate...but...can't stop :P I also subbed the agar powder for the required flakes and just reduced the amount. Seems to have turned out okay. I'll post pictures later

Would like to makde the opera cake, but seems a bit intimidating all the steps. Is it easy, depsite all the steps?

I found that if you make some of the components a day or two ahead of time like the author advises, a lot of the stress and intimidation eases up. It's just a matter of alternately layering and chilling it from there. The opera cake turned out pretty fantastic!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:24 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Made the bittersweet chocolate truffles with the tempered chocolate coating. Wow! can't believe I actually tempered chocolate.

The whole process is time consuming, but worth it.

I agree with Fran when she says non-dairy truffles have a cleaner richer taste.

They were a hit with friends!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:55 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I want to make to Chocolate Cherry Miroir (page 102), but I am confused by one of the instructions. I think I saw at least one person mention they had made this awhile back. Can anyone help?

The cake calls for one recipe of Magic Chocolate Mousse but specifies to make it with 1/2c + 1T cherry juice instead of water and 1T kirsch. The actual recipe for Magic Chocolate Mousee (page 182) calls for 1c +2T water. Does that mean you are meant to use half of the liquid the original mousse recipe calls for (so, only juice), or does it mean to replace half of the water with juice and still use half water? I find the wording confusing, and I'd really appreciate if anyone could help!

Also, I am thinking of multiplying the recipe by 1.5 for a larger cake. Should I multiply all the mousses/fillings, or is the quantity big enough that they could just be spread a bit thinner?

Thanks so much for any advice!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:18 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

PoesiePie wrote:
I want to make to Chocolate Cherry Miroir (page 102), but I am confused by one of the instructions. I think I saw at least one person mention they had made this awhile back. Can anyone help?

The cake calls for one recipe of Magic Chocolate Mousse but specifies to make it with 1/2c + 1T cherry juice instead of water and 1T kirsch. The actual recipe for Magic Chocolate Mousee (page 182) calls for 1c +2T water. Does that mean you are meant to use half of the liquid the original mousse recipe calls for (so, only juice), or does it mean to replace half of the water with juice and still use half water? I find the wording confusing, and I'd really appreciate if anyone could help!

Also, I am thinking of multiplying the recipe by 1.5 for a larger cake. Should I multiply all the mousses/fillings, or is the quantity big enough that they could just be spread a bit thinner?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Have you thought of contacting the author? Here's the contact page on her website.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:43 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks. Just emailed her. Should have thought of that myself. :/
Will report back in case anyone else is confused by this.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:33 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I did email Fran, and she is so super nice!
There IS a typo in the miroir recipe and, yes, you should use just as much juice as you would have used water in the chocolate mousse. So 1c +2T juice in place of water. It turned out great, by the way.
I'm loving baking from the book. The Brooklyn Blackout is so easy yet really looks spectacular. Also, I've made the Buche de Noel, Opera cake, Almond Orange Olive Oil Cake, a few different truffles and the Sachertorte. Some of them seem a bit intimidating, but once you get started and read through the recipe thoroughly, you find out it's totally doable and so worth the effort.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:51 pm 

PoesiePie wrote:
I did email Fran, and she is so super nice!
There IS a typo in the miroir recipe and, yes, you should use just as much juice as you would have used water in the chocolate mousse. So 1c +2T juice in place of water. It turned out great, by the way.
I'm loving baking from the book. The Brooklyn Blackout is so easy yet really looks spectacular. Also, I've made the Buche de Noel, Opera cake, Almond Orange Olive Oil Cake, a few different truffles and the Sachertorte. Some of them seem a bit intimidating, but once you get started and read through the recipe thoroughly, you find out it's totally doable and so worth the effort.

Thank you for the correction. I still haven't made anything from the cookbook--I'm not much of a baker-- but my husband's birthday is coming up later this month, so that may be the time to crack open this book.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:22 pm 

I took a vegan chocolate class from Fran last week in NYC. We made four recipes from this book - the blackout cake, the sachertorte, the trifle and the eclairs. They were all amazingly good, but I think my favorite was actually the eclairs. The vanilla pastry creme (the recipe for this is also in the book) that's used to fill the eclairs is soooo tasty. And Fran was such a good teacher! Pics below.

Fran with all the desserts

Closeup of the eclairs

The sachertorte and blackout cake

The trifle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:46 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Those eclairs look so good!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:47 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

The eclairs look particularly yummy. For some reason I didn't think this dessert could be veganized. But I guess, it is possible to use a different pastry as a vehicle for the filling and the chocolate topping.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:03 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Wow. That all looks amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:35 pm 

healthnut wrote:
The eclairs look particularly yummy. For some reason I didn't think this dessert could be veganized. But I guess, it is possible to use a different pastry as a vehicle for the filling and the chocolate topping.

Yup, these eclairs were more of a yellow cake baked in an eclair pan. I haven't had an actual eclair in forever but I think that choux pastry for traditional eclairs is quite a bit different. But the ones we made were definitely delicious, so it's all good.