| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fusion Food in the Vegan Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:40 am 
Nailed to the V

creep wrote:
So I'm not feeling this one as much as I expected to. Any suggestions for main dishes that aren't super time consuming? Everything looks great, but there's just not much I feel compelled to make for a weeknight dinner.

I'm with you, creep. I thought this one would be overflowing with eye-catchers, but at first glance nothing specific has caught my eye. Not yet, anyway. I might start with soup, cuz that always works for us.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:58 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My copy arrived! I like it. Some of the stuff made my brows furrow, but fusion food does that, even though I almost always cook that way! I'm a fan of the type of food Joni likes so I'm excited to dive in. The sauces look particularly delectable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

vijita wrote:
My copy arrived! I like it. Some of the stuff made my brows furrow, but fusion food does that, even though I almost always cook that way! I'm a fan of the type of food Joni likes so I'm excited to dive in. The sauces look particularly delectable.

Yeah, the sauces are all yum-looking. The orange garlic sauce is good; I made that already. I'm planning on making the thai peanut sauce next and tackling the thai chicken and waffles!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:04 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I just made that orange garlic sauce and poured it over roasted broccoli. Delicious.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

beethecookie wrote:
creep wrote:
So I'm not feeling this one as much as I expected to. Any suggestions for main dishes that aren't super time consuming? Everything looks great, but there's just not much I feel compelled to make for a weeknight dinner.

I'm with you, creep. I thought this one would be overflowing with eye-catchers, but at first glance nothing specific has caught my eye. Not yet, anyway. I might start with soup, cuz that always works for us.

really? granted i have not made anything from this book yet or thoroughly set aside time to make a list of recipes i want to try, but i was really impressed. i nearly squeed with all the homemade sauces/condiments and such chapter and saw lots of other yummy dishes to try. while this book is no where near comparable to VEW, i feel this fusion cookbook is way more accessible and one that i will use often. i've barely used VEW -- too intimidating, too fussy, too many HTF or pricey ingredients.

the only thing i thought was weird was "lemongrass" being used as bones in the seitan to make it seriously more rib-like.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think the deal with Vegan Eats World is that it's large enough that there are a ton of easy AND time-consuming recipes. This one is a lot smaller, and has a lot of recipes-within-recipes, which is fine, just not ideal for weeknight cooking. I have the sloppy joe pho on my list for this week though, since testers seem to be raving about that one. I don't see many ingredients in either book that are problems for me, but I live in a city with access to ethnic markets and what not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

So I made the Thai Peanut Sauce and the Tofu Fried Chicken, but instead of using the waffle recipe in the book, I just made some VWAV Fronch Toast. It was all soooo good!

I feel bad that I had said negative things about this book; it's nothing against the book itself. So far, the recipes I've tried have been great, so I don't question the quality of the dishes in here. It's more that a lot of them seem very time-consuming/fussier, like spring rolls and tamales and such. Plus, the desserts are not really my kind of desserts, which is always an important point with me. I like my books to be well-rounded, and I'm a sweets person. Still, the sauces are cool in this book and some of the easier, faster dishes will be hitting my table soon. I'm gonna plug away at this one!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:22 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

When I tested for this book I definitely made a lot of things on weekends. It helps if you have the sauces premade, you can batch make at the weekend and they almost all lasted for ages. Some of the combos seemed weird to me and I probably wouldn't have touched them if I hadn't been testing (the jackfruit pumpkin chilli springs to mind) but I really liked them. I have my book now so later today Ill do a list here of my thoughts on various recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:40 am 
Nailed to the V

Okay, so I made the Sloppy Joe Pho last week. Wow! This one is such a keeper. The broth is to die for. Like, I could just drink that when I'm sick and be perfectly happy. But adding all the components together was magical. Loved it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

beethecookie wrote:
Okay, so I made the Sloppy Joe Pho last week. Wow! This one is such a keeper. The broth is to die for. Like, I could just drink that when I'm sick and be perfectly happy. But adding all the components together was magical. Loved it.

I actually wasn't crazy about this. I liked the broth a lot, but the whole dish was just alright to me. I made a reeeaaally awesome pho from Vedge the previous week though, so I may have been comparing unintentionally.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

This arrived on Xmas Eve and I was just too tired too look at until about New Year. I was a bit ambivalent about it when I first looked at it, but I got it out for another look and now I'm wondering what was wrong with me. I'm excited to try just about everything, since most recipes require you've made at least one other recipe from the book it's going to mean I need to be a bit more organised.

I'm really keen to make the Ya Ka Mein, I've been intrigued by the photo ever since the cover was released. Although I notice the actual recipe page says there's a photo on page 74, it's actually page 51. It's bugging me to no end and as much as I want to correct it, I also have this thing about not writing in books.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:39 pm 
Huffs Nooch

We had the teriyaki seitan asada tacos for dinner last night. It was, seriously, one of the best meals I've ever had.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The jackfruit pumpkin chili was pretty good, but I could tell just looking at the ingredients that it wouldn't make four servings. We got two entree-sized bowls and had cornbread on the side, and only had one smallish serving left.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:10 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i wanted to make the jackfruit chili - good to know. i guess a salad and bread is needed to accompany it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:59 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made the potstickers and brussels sprouts the same week we made the tacos. We actually used the creamy sesame sriracha sauce leftover from the tacos as a dipping sauce for the potstickers. The potstickers were fantastic, but I didn't love the brussels sprouts. Don't get me wrong - brussels sprouts are my all-time favorite vegetable, and the orange sauce was delicious. I thought they'd be transcendentally good together, but I didn't really think they worked.

I love this book so much. I want to make everything in it, but it's crazy fiddly and time-consuming.