| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri May 29, 2015 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The year of bloggers turned cookbook authors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:13 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I stumbled across an article in the Albany Times-Union which calls 2015 "the year of healthy bloggers turned authors." Looking at this year's upcoming cookbooks on Amazon, I see cookbooks based on several blogs, including Blender Girl, Vegan Richa, Happy Healthy Vegan, My New Roots, Chocolate Covered Katie, Love Fed, Deliciously Ella, and there may be others I am missing. It's exciting to see the way the web has democratized cookbook publishing, but at the same time, I have this perception that some other kinds of vegan cookbooks, such as theme cookbooks based on world cuisines, or on a type of food (for example this year's Vegan Casseroles, or all the pie cookbooks from a few years back) are being pushed aside by traditional publishers in favor of blogger cookbooks with a bigger name recognition or brand.

I have two questions:

1) Do you think this perception is accurate, or not?
2) If you do think it's accurate, do you see that trend as a good thing, or is it one you wish would go away?

Post subject: Re: The year of bloggers turned cookbook authors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:25 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I don't know many blogs and I don't usually care for books based on blogs, though I do love the Oh She Glows and the Vegan Stoner books. I agree with you that this fashion makes for a lot of general cookbooks, and I prefer cookbooks based on a type of food or cuisine since I already have several general cookbooks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:10 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I don't mind this trend because a lot of people like particular bloggers and want to support them. Plus the blogs give you an idea of what will be in said book and you can have a feel for whether or not you'd like the books ahead of time.

To be fair, some of the blogger books you've listed will be theme books, right? Richa's is Indian, chocolate covered Katie does sweets, blender girl blends, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:36 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Compared to even 10 years ago, the number of vegan cookbooks being published has grown exponentially. I don't think bloggers are taking a share of the traditional author pie. I think they are increasing the size of the pie. I am definitely a little cautious about buying blogger books though - more so than I am when purchasing books by more traditional culinary professionals.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:59 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Just a heads up that you may want to parse your words carefully going forward, as there are a fair number of blogger-to-cookbook-authors here on the PPK, and plenty of PPKers who have supported and tested for them during their writing processes.

I don't see what makes a 'more traditional culinary professional' a more reliable cookbook author, necessarily. I've bought cookbooks by 'professional' chefs which don't seem to take into consideration the fact that the average home cook doesn't have the prep time or access to unusual/gourmet ingredients (not to mention a sous chef and dishwasher) that professionals have at their ready disposal. Not to mention being a professional chef is grueling, thankless, low-paid work. The Jamie Olivers and Barefoot Contessas of the world are few and far between, and I can't begrudge someone with a culinary bent for working a day job to pay the bills and blogging in their spare time- if anything, that sort of commitment is a statement in and of itself.

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:30 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Just a heads up that you may want to parse your words carefully going forward, as there are a fair number of blogger-to-cookbook-authors here on the PPK, and plenty of PPKers who have supported and tested for them during their writing processes.

I am aware of that and I tried to be careful with my phrasing for that reason. I can see my last question may have been insensitive, and I'm sorry for that. But overall, I was pretty careful. I said I thought the way the web has democratized cookbook publishing is exciting, and I asked if my perception that there are fewer theme cookbooks now is accurate. I offered people as much opportunity to chime in favor of the trend as in preference for something else. I hope publishing trends is something that we can discuss like mature adults in a forum for cookbook discussions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:46 pm 

Overall, I like it when a cookbook author also has a blog. Usually you can try a couple of their recipes before you buy the book, and often the comments will have some useful info too. It is a little confusing when it seems like most of the recipes came directly from the blog, but if I enjoy the blog I would generally buy the cookbook too.

There are so many vegan cookbooks out there these days, it is both wonderful and overwhelming. Thankfully there is room in my Kindle app for all of them!

ETA: Also, I guess I don't make too much of a distinction between a blogger and an author--probably most people with blogs wouldn't necessarily be limited to that format and would be interested in publishing a book, too. It's exceedingly difficult to get a book published, unless you self-publish, and blogging is a pretty good way to develop a following.

Last edited by Beanitarian on Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:49 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Beanitarian wrote:
Overall, I like it when a cookbook author also has a blog. Usually you can try a couple of their recipes before you buy the book, and often the comments will have some useful info too. It is a little confusing when it seems like most of the recipes came directly from the blog, but if I enjoy the blog I would generally buy the cookbook too.

There are so many vegan cookbooks out there these days, it is both wonderful and overwhelming. Thankfully there is room in my Kindle app for all of them!

100% agree. I've bought from many authors after trying a few things from their blog. It's how I found Isa!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:52 pm 

Minatomachi, yes, that's my issue. I own many general cookbooks and many of them are great. I love them and wouldn't want them to disappear. I just want to also have access to other types of cookbooks too, and it seems like at least as a percentage of total vegan cookbooks, these are getting published less than they used to be.

Moon, that's a great point about some blogger cookbooks being theme cookbooks. I've preordered Vegan Richa's cookbook for example, so you see I like the idea of it. I've bought other blogger cookbooks in the past and I think it's really exciting that you don't have to go to culinary school or open a restaurant to make your recipes available to the public.

Bcakes -- yes I agree there are more vegan cookbooks now than there were 10 years ago. There were also more of them 10 years ago than there had been 20 years ago. The pie share for vegan cookbooks may be increasing but I can't say that definitively because I don't know whether the number of non-vegan cookbooks has gone up, down, or stayed the same. I don't pay attention to that. Personally I'd credit the pie share increase in the number of vegan cookbooks to an increase in interest in veganism among book buyers (though I could be wrong there-- maybe publishers are publishing more books in general, due to population growth or a growing number of readers? I really don't know). Bloggers absolutely are responsible for some of the interest in veganism, but I think books like The China Study and movies like Fork Over Knives have also played an important role.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:48 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

In the information-driven category of books these days, publishers are hesitant to offer contracts to those without platforms. The pro is the built-in audience; the con is the potential for regurgitation of content. In cookbooks, however, the latter has its own pros and cons. Some people feel duped when they see blog recipes in a book (even if it's only a handful), while others feel ripped off if they didn't get a hard copy of every blog recipe. There's a set of expectations that didn't exist prior to blogging, when people took their cookbook authors as they came.

Personally, I like that the recipes have been developed in a home kitchen and tested by readers. I much prefer that to recipes that have been scaled down from a restaurant's mise-en-place system, in which I have to prepare multiple component recipes to make one sandwich.

Overall, I think it's a good thing with some worrying points. Trained chefs have their place, as do traditional cookbook authors, but there's a lot of creativity coming from people who started cooking for fun and who get instant feedback on what works and what doesn't. I just hope that we don't miss out on the next Madhur Jaffrey because she didn't have enough unique pageviews.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:32 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

LFL wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

I am aware of that and I tried to be careful with my phrasing for that reason. I can see my last question may have been insensitive, and I'm sorry for that. But overall, I was pretty careful. I said I thought the way the web has democratized cookbook publishing is exciting, and I asked if my perception that there are fewer theme cookbooks now is accurate. I offered people as much opportunity to chime in favor of the trend as in preference for something else. I hope publishing trends is something that we can discuss like mature adults in a forum for cookbook discussions.

Certainly, and I don't think I implied otherwise. I didn't accuse you of making any specific statements, just wanted to make it clear moving forward. If you are aware of it, that's great, and I appreciate that you don't want to make any comments that would offend any PPKers. I just wanted to lay it out there because it wasn't clear from your first posts. It wasn't meant to put you on the defensive.

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:41 pm 

Thanks, Erika.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:47 pm 

Xocolatl wrote:
Overall, I think it's a good thing with some worrying points. Trained chefs have their place, as do traditional cookbook authors, but there's a lot of creativity coming from people who started cooking for fun and who get instant feedback on what works and what doesn't. I just hope that we don't miss out on the next Madhur Jaffrey because she didn't have enough unique pageviews.

This captures how I feel too. You also make an interesting point about how some blog followers want to see all the blog recipes in the blogger-author's cookbook, while others prefer to see brand new recipes from that blogger author. I can see both sides of that, so maybe a mix of some of each is a good idea?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:55 pm 

I usually make a difference between a cookbook author who has a blog and a blogger who publishes a cookbook. (I'm not saying one is better than the other.) Isa and Robin Robertson for instance have blogs, but are more known and more active as cookbook authors, so I don't really see them as bloggers. Of course, some of the bloggers who are publishing now will publish other books with time and some of them will become more known for their books than their blog too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:27 pm 
Semen Strong

I don't know if that distinction is meaningful at all. The writer of Its Not About The Broccoli was shopping her book around, and was told by her publishing house that she needed to start a blog, and they'd only publish if she could show a strong online presence. So it looks like she is a blogger who then got published, but in fact, the situation is the reverse.

And I doubt it makes any difference in the quality of the books. Oh She Glows and Vegan Richa are both bloggers who wrote amazing recipes and their cookbooks are fantastic. I've bought books from cookbook writers who happen to have blogs, and some are amaing (Isa!) and some are not that great. Julian Barnes has a line that most cookbook authors have only one good book in them, and Isa and Terry prove them wrong every time. And many blogs do have a theme, so I don't think it makes sense conclude that "theme cookbooks" are losing out. Plus bloggers like Kittee and Vegan Richa are doing great themed cookbooks (Ethiopian and Indian respectively).

Last edited by Tofulish on Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

There are also bloggers, in veganland and beyond, who become popular, publish a book, and then disappear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:13 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
I don't know if that distinction is meaningful at all.

I was making the distinction so that we can agree on the kind of blogger we are discussing in this thread, i.e. not the cookbook authors who also have a blog.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Minatomachi wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
I don't know if that distinction is meaningful at all.

I was making the distinction so that we can agree on the kind of blogger we are discussing in this thread, i.e. not the cookbook authors who also have a blog.

I agree that they are different in the context of the OP. "Healthy Living Bloggers" is also a category on GOMY but I don't know if that's what was intended.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Certainly, and I don't think I implied otherwise. I didn't accuse you of making any specific statements, just wanted to make it clear moving forward. If you are aware of it, that's great, and I appreciate that you don't want to make any comments that would offend any PPKers. I just wanted to lay it out there because it wasn't clear from your first posts. It wasn't meant to put you on the defensive.

I actually read the original comment as a response to me and, to be quite honest, it did put me on the defensive. I put together a whole defensive response, but it wasn't particularly on topic, so I am electing not to post it. I think the only way to clarify my original post is actually to be more blunt and say that I've had one or two experience where I bought books because I liked a blog and wound up not enjoying the book. That has led me to wait for a PPK consensus that a book is great before I'll buy it.

I wasn't trying to distinguish between professional chefs and those who aren't professional chefs. I was thinking more of the distinction that Minatomachi made -- authors who happen to blog versus bloggers who became authors. The category of authors I most consistently enjoy is actually the professional recipe developers like Bryanna Clark Grogan and Julie Hasson. As I said, I'm not particularly concerned about these authors being squeezed out by bloggers because I see the number of vegan cookbooks being published growing each year. I see blogger-authors as expanding the category of vegan cookbooks, rather than taking spots away from "non-bloggers" however we define that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:40 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Some of that stuff is just silly though. How can you compare Bryanna Clark Grogan with Oh She Glows? You just don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:17 am 

I agree with Minatomachi's distinction, for the purposes of the discussion. And to clarify, my original post was a response to the article in I saw in the Albany Times Union, which can be found here if anyone cares. Also, it's not a question of quality to me. There are good and bad recipes by cookbook authors with blogs and good and bad recipes by bloggers turned cookbook authors. I don't think one category has better cooks than the other. I just think it's a matter of what the theme or hook of a cookbook is, and if the theme or hook is a particular blog, that's generally less exciting to me than if it is a specific type of cuisine or dish.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:50 am 
Semen Strong

But since most bloggers have a "theme" or a style, don't their books reflect that?

And even when you have a blogger as eclectic as Kittee or Vegan Richa, who cover a huge range of themes, their books still have themes. Vegan Richa does tons of non-Indian food, but her new book is all Indian cuisine and Kittee has the most wonderful range of cakes, soul food and GF yums, but her new book is all Ethiopian.

And by contrast, even an oldschool cookbook writer like Isa, who cooks vegan comfort food can have different themes for some books (VCIYCJ, Vegan Brunch) but also do broader vegan comfort food (Veganomicon) covering a range of different cuisines etc. She has a "style" of cooking (and of writing) that is very distinctive, rather than themes or hooks. So for me, the appeal of an Isa book is her own personal style, rather than any of the themes she would do.

So in my view, both bloggers and cookbook writers do themes and "hooks" and also have a personal writing and cooking style that their followers like.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:07 am 

I think part of the distinction is simply whether the author began writing before blogs became popular or after (late 90s to 2000s). Are there any relatively new cookbook authors who do not have some sort of online presence?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:08 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Personally, for better and worse (well, better for my budget, worse for authors' income?), more books simply means much more to choose from, which means I'm way more selective about the ones I actually purchase. I suppose I do have a preference for books with a certain 'theme'.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:08 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

The more I think about it, all this trend means is that my bank account is in serious trouble.