| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rejuvelac colour?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:14 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi, I have done a quick search but found nothing re my rejuvelac issues. I have followed a recipe and all went well until it was placed in the fridge. After two days it went a dark grey colour. It still smells and tastes OK, is this normal for it to change colour?. I had no issues, sprouting, fermenting etc. I used wheat berries, filtered water and everything was sterilised with boiling water.

Post subject: Re: Rejuvelac colour?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:24 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I personally haven't had my rejuvelac turn gray. Mine has always turned out opaque yellowish-white to "dirty white." I suppose it could be described as gray, but not dark gray. Even when I've had it in the fridge for weeks, it still maintains somewhere in that color spectrum. However, I use quinoa, not sure if the grain makes a difference. Its still fresh and smells ok, so maybe try a little bit and test the waters?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks Emmalv,
Yes it smells fine and I have had a cautious sip and all seems good. Maybe they batch of grain is of a different quality.
I intend trying other grains and see which I prefer. I fond quinoa a tad expensive to use that way in case it does not turn out.
I am presuming any sprout-able grain is suitable to use for rejuvelac?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

From my readings here, and from my experience as well, I can say 2 things: quinoa sprouts the fastest and people tend to have the most consistent results. Rice sprouts pretty slow (too bad cuz its cheap!) which then allows for more things to go wrong/off. I had quinoa rejuvelac literally in a day (I live in a warm climate) and during the same period of time, my rice took something like 4 or 5 days.

Search through the Artisan Vegan Cheese thread here - there is lots of rejuvelac talk in there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

Yes, I am browsing through the thread. I will give Quinoa a try but at nearly $8 for 500g I would much rather eat it in a salad or side dish :-)

I too live in a warm climate, Adelaide which has just been through a 5 day heat wave and topped 46c which made it the hottest place in the world last Thursday.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

If it tastes good, I say just use it. I imagine there's lots of variation in rejuvelac color based on the grain used.

That said, I also vouch for quinoa and I am pretty sure you can use the same sprouts to do multiple batches of rejuvelac.