| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Yum Yum
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ijustdiedinside wrote:
B_A_D wrote:
I don't remember now. But I still have her on AIM, messaged her about it, gave my new address sometime last year.

hey, seriously, stop talking about this! this thread is basically fine. but i asked just a few posts up for people to stop talking about this stuff.

Sorry! I missed that after fee's post.

If I recall the General Taos tofu was pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

the cinnamon rolls are great. Plus having the videos was helpful first time round.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

Erinnerung wrote:
imaluckyducky wrote:
Recipes I Didn't Like
-Hurry Up Alfredo (This may have been a VitaMix recipe, so it could have change the end product...but, to be honest, it was disgusting.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like this. I made it when I first saw it on the blog and it was horrible and made so much that my food processor overflowed with the stuff. This was pretty much the reason I haven't bought the book. Her pancake recipe is my go-to though, so maybe I should give it a try.

Don't know why, but I really liked the Hurry Up Alfredo. I guess we have different tastes. I did however add a buuuunch more nutritional yeast and added flavourings to my liking!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:50 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

B_A_D wrote:
If I recall the General Taos tofu was pretty good.
That sounds like something I'd like. I really miss a lot of my favorite Chinese meals since giving up meat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:55 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I got this book for christmas and so far I've made the Chipotle Basil Corn Chowder and Black Bean Soup. Both were great, but I loved the chowder. It had a unique blend of flavours that made it different from any of the other chowders I've made. I did make a few substitutions for both though: Chowder: I used a couple jarred hot chili peppers instead of Chipotle, because I couldn't find any, and for the Black Bean Soup I doubled the recipe and did half with the blended fresh tomatoes and half with a can of tomato sauce I had laying around in my cupboard.

I also made the cabbage Tamarind Tofu Cabbage Bowl, which was delicious and now my go to meal for when I come home and really don't want to cook.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:55 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the Hurry Up Alfredo from the blog years ago, and I liked it. As far as I can remember, it wasn't just like traditional Alfredo sauce but the taste and texture would satisfy the craving.

ExpiredSanity wrote:
I also made the cabbage Tamarind Tofu Cabbage Bowl, which was delicious and now my go to meal for when I come home and really don't want to cook.

This sounds really great! I found it on a blog, so I'm going to try it out. This book has been on my list for awhile, but I wanted to make more from the blog before buying it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

appifanie wrote:
I didn't dig the Italian Rice and Beans. And I was super excited to make the chard on toast points but I've gone gluten free so I subbed the Bob's Red Mill GF flour and used rice bread and it wasn't good. Maybe it's better the original way?

I like the toast recipe but I've always used spinach instead of chard. I also change the recipe.

She puts tahini in everything! ugh.
I didn't like the alfredo-- it tasted like peanut butter to me.

The pictures are nice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:23 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I feel like a thread-rez here is blasphemous, considering the surrounding drama, but I just got this cookbook and am really enjoying it! (Though it does make me feel like I'm cheating on Isa).

Tonight, I made the Golden Chickpea & Artichoke salad - first time trying artichokes (I led a sheltered life before I went veg a year ago). I subbed cashews for almonds (because I ruined all of my almonds in a failed crack at homemade almond milk). Stuffed the salad in a pita and it was delish!

I also had great success with the Creamy Basil Pasta and the french toast recipe (the title escapes me).

I like that each recipe has a photo. I don't like that it's not the healthiest cookbook around (though I've had good luck so far using less oil/EB and subbing in whole wheat flour, etc).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:08 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I really like the Moroccan spiced root vegetable hash. It's an awesome combination of spices.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:30 am 

disneyfav4ever wrote:
I really like the Moroccan spiced root vegetable hash. It's an awesome combination of spices.

Having grown up with a limited spectrum of foods, I find that my brain avoids recipes that have some sort of indication of their cuisine. Like, I'd see Moroccan spiced anything, and think, "I don't like Moroccan food."

But - I don't even know what Moroccan food IS!! Or Mediterranean... or Ethiopian... or [insert regional cuisine here].

I really need to get over that little head-game, because I've never really tried any of these cuisines, and I just might like them!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

i've had the book for a while and the only thing i've made from it is the cinnamon bread. while i have made that recipe a few times, i haven't been motivated enough to make anything else from it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:24 am 

imaluckyducky wrote:
-The binding of the book doesn't allow for easy use in the kitchen, as the book doesn't like to stay open. I think I've finally gotten the binding lose, enough so that a simple weight does the trick to keep it open.

This makes me completely crazy. I have a really tiny kitchen and very limited space, and every time the book shakes off the weight that forces it open (it really does that!), something else will fall to the ground! Maybe I should open it and sleep on it for a few nights... I don't know. (This is the binding every cookbook should have...)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:39 am 

I grabbed the Food Network Cookbook Holder at Kohl's with one of their uber coupons a couple months ago. Life is so much easier in the kitchen without things flying off the counter when my cookbooks buck their weights and slam shut.

This is the one I got - though it appears to be unavailable on Amazon. Maybe that's why it was on sale at Kohl's. Works great, though, if you can find one.

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Network-Cook ... B004G0KV7C

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:07 am 
Discovered unobtainium

epicorganic wrote:
I grabbed the Food Network Cookbook Holder at Kohl's with one of their uber coupons a couple months ago. Life is so much easier in the kitchen without things flying off the counter when my cookbooks buck their weights and slam shut.

This is the one I got - though it appears to be unavailable on Amazon. Maybe that's why it was on sale at Kohl's. Works great, though, if you can find one.

You can also get a little foldable metal wire one at Staples or Office Depot for $7. I got one for textbooks, but it is perfect in the kitchen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:17 am 
Saggy Butt

I don't have the cookbook because I rarely have the money to buy anything, but I've made a few of the recipes from her blog. I really like the alfredo, but I sub almonds. The smoky miso tofu is delicious - I actually buy tubs of miso just to make that recipe.

I didn't like her mac and cheese at all though. It tasted terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:16 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I really did like the blog for the recipes/pictures. But right after the book came out, it just went dead--no posts in over a year!

I hate it when one of the blogs I regularly read dies and I hopefully check it every few months only to be disappointed. I think I already whined about it once in this thread, but I don't care! I want it back!

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:19 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I think lolo has just moved onto other things - it would be nice if she would say so on her site though, I know some people still check it regularly.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:53 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
epicorganic wrote:

You can also get a little foldable metal wire one at Staples or Office Depot for $7. I got one for textbooks, but it is perfect in the kitchen.

Thanks you two. I will keep my eyes open for something like that in France.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

Quote:
Thanks you two. I will keep my eyes open for something like that in France.

You might also consider buying one of those racks used to display plates. I got two different sizes at a thrift store: one for small plates, which is great for smaller cookbooks (paperbacks), and one for large plates, which is great for larger books (works even for coffee-table-sized books). They both cost me $1. Bonne chance!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

KarmaLily wrote:
The smoky miso tofu is delicious - I actually buy tubs of miso just to make that recipe.

I could eat sandwiches made of this stuff every day for the rest of my life. Smokey miso tofu + spinach + avocado + sriracha/mayo on wheat = love.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:38 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I made the Cinnamon Swirl Bread recipe yesterday and it was soo good really easy to make, i ended up doing half all purpose and half white wheat my parents and sisters were going crazy over it. I didn't like the alfredo either but the other things that i've tried like roasted eggplant marinara, lemon blueberry waffles which i made into super fluffy pancakes because i don't own a waffle maker, black bean soup, and tomato chickpea soup have all been really good.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:58 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I still think everyone needs to try the broccoli mushroom bake. This is seriously my favorite recipe of all time. This casserole is so creamy and yummy.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:50 am 
Saggy Butt

Erinnerung wrote:
imaluckyducky wrote:
Recipes I Didn't Like
-Hurry Up Alfredo (This may have been a VitaMix recipe, so it could have change the end product...but, to be honest, it was disgusting.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like this. I made it when I first saw it on the blog and it was horrible and made so much that my food processor overflowed with the stuff. This was pretty much the reason I haven't bought the book. Her pancake recipe is my go-to though, so maybe I should give it a try.

I didn't like it either. Maybe if it wasn't called alfredo and if the picture wasn't so white and alfredo-y looking, I wouldn't have been so disappointed, but it definitely didn't taste anything like alfredo. I don't know how the stuff in the picture is so white, either she used different ingredients or brightened up the photo - either way, not cool. I hate when people misrepresent things, especially when it comes to food.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:50 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Has anyone made the donuts successfully? I tried to make them, though without a donut pan so they were more like little donut balls. They tasted okay, but the texture was kind of weird. Not sure if I messed it up somehow.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:53 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I've seen lots of people post pictures of donuts they've made from the recipe, they've all used the donut pan, though.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next