| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Under Pressure
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:07 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Searched for a thread and didn't find one - apologies if it has already been created! I picked this up while it's on kindle for $2.99 (https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Under-Pres ... B010KMOPI0), anyone cooked from it?

I notice she calls for dry-sauteeing a lot of the food - anyone know if this is standard practice for pressure cookers, or if it's a nutritional thing for the author?

I got an Instant Pot for Christmas that I still haven't put together so I'm excited to get started with it. Also excited to try the gluten free sausage option, since the only gluten-free sausage I can currently find is soyrizo (which falls apart and functions more like a flavoring paste than a sausage imo).

Post subject: Re: Vegan Under Pressure
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The author is an RD who works with Dr. McDougall, so it's a nutritional thing for her....nothing to do with pressure cooking. I have a hard copy of the book and I've made the shepherd's pie, curried chickpeas, and quinoa and cranberry pudding. They were quick and good, but nothing earth-shattering.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:47 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I try to follow the McDougall program a majority of the time (about 90%). Dr. McDougall doesn't believe that oils are a whole food and we should avoid them. (He wrote a newsletter article about it August 2007.) I try to not use oil for the most part unless absolutely necessary.

I really like the recipes in the book; I also use it often for time references as it has much better times for beans and rice than the book that came with my Instant Pot.

I plan on making her Creamy Cornbread with Millet this summer, so I don't have to use the oven when it's hot. I've made it two times and I really like it. The Brown Rice Biryani was excellent, but takes time with multiple steps. I made her "Baked Beans" for a family get together; it was so quick and easy.

She has a whole section on Burgers. For me, these are a weekend project since it involves many steps, such as cooking the beans, cooking the vegetables and then making and baking the burgers in the oven. I've made the Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers and the Cauliflower and Chickpea burgers. I will make both again when I have time.

Next on my list to try is bean sausages, Multi-Bean soup and Hearty Healing Sweet Potato Soup.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:50 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My issues with most pressure cooking recipes is the wolfgang puck electric pot I have lists cooking temps/pressures as meat/stew/vegetables/soup/rice and not the standart high medium low etc. So i find recipes take a bit of practice to get right.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:22 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I just bought this book, but haven't used it yet. A coworker recommended it, and then it went on sale! I actually had this on my wish list back before it came out but had forgotten about it. I can't wait to try out some recipes this week while I'm off of work.

I think a bit of oil definitely enhances the flavor of food. Can you really dry fry with a stainless steel pot like the Instant Pot? My electric pressure cooker is nonstick, but I still prefer to use a tablespoon of oil or so for frying.

B_A_D wrote:
My issues with most pressure cooking recipes is the wolfgang puck electric pot I have lists cooking temps/pressures as meat/stew/vegetables/soup/rice and not the standart high medium low etc. So i find recipes take a bit of practice to get right.

Here is something that might be kind of useful: http://www.hippressurecooking.com/forum ... n-bocr007/

It sounds like low would be veggies and high would be meat. Low and high are not quite the same for electric and stovetop pressure cookers, but they are roughly equivalent as far as cooking time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:28 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thread hijack but if you are looking for GF sausage, try Renee's recipe:
https://leafycauldron.net/2014/06/18/al ... uten-free/

(I haven't tried it myself but her recipes are great)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

There is a black bean mole chili and summer squash -basil soup that is delicious. And easy. At first, I thought the book was nothing "special" but the Kindle sale price was worth it for those two recipes.

There is an oil-free pesto recipe that uses miso that I am curious about trying.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just picked up this book and I like it a lot so far. I'm trying to cut down/out oil so the previous comments about that were a positive for me. She also discusses how to add oil to recipes if wanted in the intro. I have tried a few things so far in this book and everything has been a success. I'm an old pro with a stovetop pressure cooker so that part of the book is not what I need, but the cooking times charts would be valuable for someone who doesn't already have a good source for that.

First, the black bean and quinoa veggie burgers were easy and good. So nice that beans and quinoa cook at the same time so not too many steps.

Next up, I made steel cut oats. I have never tried that in the pressure cooker and it was quick and easy. About 15 minutes total (going up, cooking, and coming down) without stirring. Game changer for me as I usually slow cook oats over night. If I forget to make it before bed I don't have time in the morning, but that is no longer true.

Tonight I tried the Sesame tofu (cover pic on the cookbook). So good and fast! I wouldn't serve it at a dinner party because it is not the prettiest thing and very basic, but for an every day healthy dinner it hits the spot. That's my impression of the whole book actually. Good for people trying to do ETL or other veg heavy eating plan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:49 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I got this book a week ago to go with my new Instant Pot. So far I've made the millet cornbread (very good), cheezecake (crust was excellent, cashew filling didn't taste like cheesecake), Farro salad (loved it), Pakistani greens (I was expecting something more like a saag so I wasn't crazy about them, plus they were a little intense for me), and Misr Wot, the Ethiopian lentil soup, which I love love love. That one makes the cookbook so far for me.

I'd like to try the black bean-quinoa burgers after seeing them mentioned here a few times now. I find the recipes to be easy and not too time consuming, plus they are definitely healthy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:24 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

How does this compare to Jl Fields: Vegan pressure cooking book?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:23 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Otherdimension, from what I can tell, although the recipes are still healthy, JL Fields' cookbook sometimes uses processed ingredients while Nussinow's is purely whole foods, plant-based. By processed I don't mean Frosted Flakes, maybe more like Earth Balance and soy curls... whereas Nussinow's usually has oil optional sautéeing, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:55 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Thanks! Will get both!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I am loving this book so far! Perfect for cooking in this heat wave as everything has been super quick. I've never tried any kind of pasta in the pressure cooker but two noodles bowls I made this week were satisfying, healthy, and fast. I made the rice noodle bowl with eggplant, squash, and mushrooms last night. I added tofu that I cooked separately to make it more of a main dish. I also served mine over shredded collards to get my greens in. I loved it.

Tonight I made the soba noodle bowl with shiitakes, carrots, and edamame. Again, super fast and yummy. I didn't have any spinach to make it as written so I subbed kale and that was yummy.

Anyway, I guess I had gotten into a pattern of only using my pressure cooker just to cook basics that I would use in other recipes. This book is teaching me some new ways to use and I like that. Next up I'm going to try the Ethiopian recipes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:29 pm 
Tofu Pup

Try the summer squash chowder...best recipe ever--deceptively simple.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:34 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Ooh, I'm going to try the chowder soon. I have a lot of corn, though, so I might do that one first.

The Ethiopian Misr Wot lentil soup is out-of-this-world good.

I liked the black bean and quinoa burgers okay but they weren't my favorite thing from this book. They tasted a little bland to me, and others in my family didn't like the strong taste of nutritional yeast.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We had a mini feast tonight with ethiopian recipes from this book. Misr Wot (red lentil stew), atakilt wat (cabbage, carrots, and potatoes), gomen (collards), and plain millet. I made all oil free because we are watching calories around here.

Everything was delicious. My potatoes were a tad mushy but still held their shape so I will cut the time a bit next time. It could be that I didn't set my timer fast enough. The lentils are amazing! The best part was that my 4 year old ate quite a bit of everything except the collards. She kept asking for more carrots, so my leftovers are picked over! I think I have enough leftovers so I don't have to cook tomorrow.

I will make all of this again. Very yummy, easy to cook, and healthy. In case you are wondering, I have two pressure cookers! In case vegan is not weird enough.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:19 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Wow, that sounds delicious! I will have to try some of the other Ethiopian recipes too. I'm not a fan of cooked cabbage, does it dominate the taste of the other one you mentioned?

I made the corn chowder, which was labor intensive but incredibly good. The essence of summer corn really shines through. My eight year old also loved it, even though she's been grumbling about my excessive use of the Instant Pot lately.

I also made miso green beans and they make a nice side.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Well, I'm the wrong person to ask about cabbage because I adore cooked cabbage, and this is my favorite dish to add to the platter when I go to Ethiopian restaurants. I guess if you dislike cabbage, maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Loved the refried black beans!