| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: classic vegan cookbooks?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm wondering if there are any "classic" vegan (or vegan friendly) cookbooks or any vegan cookbooks that were really trendy for their time due to ingredient, concept, etc....

Like maybe the nooch cookbook is/was really trendy because nooch is that magical ingredient that you love or hate and has lots of great b12 and other goodies in it.
http://www.amazon.com/Nutritional-Yeast ... 1570670382

I'm also thinking Diet for a Small Planet even though that is not strictly vegan...
http://www.amazon.com/Diet-Small-Planet ... 0345321200

I'd love to hear your opinions on what the "classic" vegan (or vegan friendly) cookbooks are, and/or any trendy vegan cookbooks that maybe just feature 1 ingredient?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: classic vegan cookbooks?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:29 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

The vegan cookbook market is pretty new. I think of The New Farm Cookbook as classic, though.

Opening it up to vegetarian books, I'd add Laurel's Kitchen and the Moosewood Cookbooks.

ETA. Also, Tofu Cookery fits both your guidelines.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:49 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

mollyjade wrote:
Opening it up to vegetarian books, I'd add Laurel's Kitchen and the Moosewood Cookbooks.

To which I would add Vegetarian Epicure Book One and Book Two. Those vegetarian books, along with the original Moosewood and Laurel's Kitchen were life changers for me.

Also, and pretty much completely vegan, how about the Ten Talents Cookbook?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofu Cookery! I have to say though, it's on my shelf and I never cook from it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:21 am 
Not NOT A Furry

creep wrote:
Tofu Cookery! I have to say though, it's on my shelf and I never cook from it.

I know, I've only made a few things from it. I keep meaning to make more, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:07 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I think that the Moosewood cookbooks fit that bill. I know that at least one has fish in it, but not all of them do, and they're very vegan friendly, except for the baking recipes.

I have two oddball cookbooks that I never cook from that seem like that:

Vegan Delights, by Jeanne Marie Martin. Almost every single recipe includes a little bit of kelp and cayenne...there's something in the introduction about the health benefits, so she adds it to literally everything.

Oh! Haha and the other one, I just realized is a Robin Robertson book, so maybe it doesn't count since she's a current cookbook author, but 366 Healthful Ways to Cook Tofu? Weird, I've had it for ages and had no idea it was one of hers. Never cooked a single thing from it.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:15 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Since my husband's been vegan forever, he has a couple cookbooks which are so old and are fun to leaf through and see what veganism used to be like. Honestly, it's all pretty gross.

This book is one of the ones we have:
http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Handbook-De ... 614&sr=8-1

I'll post some of the recipe titles when I get home, they are disgusting!

Though we do make this recipe from it which is really good:
http://nakedveglunch.blogspot.ca/search ... ench+toast

Last edited by paprikapapaya on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:15 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak or pretty much anything by Jo Stepaniak, really. She was my stepping stone to vegan cooking way back when. Her recipes were very, um, normal. They used easy-to-find ingredients, were always dependable, low fat (important to me), and tasted good. She was a huge inspiration to me in the early days, as I'm sure she was to many, and I am always surprised and kind of sad that she doesn't get more mention.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:54 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

+1 on Jo Stepaniak...the original Vegan Vittles and Vegan Table for Two were my first. Vegan Vittles especially was great because of all the rescued animals featured. And then How It All Vegan, which appealed to my punk rock sensibility. But yeah all of these titles certainly come after Louise Hagler's stuff, and I definitely did a lot of cooking out of the Moosewoods, Vegetarian Epicure and the Vegetarian Times Cookbook as a kid (raised veg).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:06 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

i'd consider Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison a classic. she loves her dairy & eggs, but most of her recipes are pretty easily veganized. i first discovered it when i lived in a vegetarian shared house in 2005 and i'd sit on the kitchen floor reading totally blown away by the fact that each vegetable had its own little mini-chapter.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:16 pm 
ugh

Nonna's Italian Kitchen? Maybe not trendy, but probably classic.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:20 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

weaver wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

To which I would add Vegetarian Epicure Book One and Book Two. Those vegetarian books, along with the original Moosewood and Laurel's Kitchen were life changers for me.

Yes, my completely not-veg family had the second Vegetarian Epicure book when I was a kid.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

paprikapapaya wrote:

This book is one of the ones we have:
http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Handbook-De ... 614&sr=8-1

i got a copy of this book free with a subscription to Veg Times my mom bought me after i went veg in colleg and she was confused.

that was a good 15+ years ago.

i dont think i ever really looked through it. i definitely never made anything from it.
i still do have it though

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:14 pm 

Simply Heavenly

The collection of meaty-style seitans is amazing. Frankly, I'm still in awe and I've had the book forever. Was there a cookbook previously that had anything like it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vgnwitch wrote:
Simply Heavenly

The collection of meaty-style seitans is amazing. Frankly, I'm still in awe and I've had the book forever. Was there a cookbook previously that had anything like it?

awesome. i love how the book description from 1997 includes how to correctly pronouce "vegan" because that word must have been previously unheard ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Heavenly-M ... 0028612671

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:59 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Sounds like you just want older vegan popular cookbooks? These were some of my first:
New Farm
The Cookbook for People who Love Animals
Tofu Cookery
Friendly Foods
Simply Heavenly
Perenniel Political Palate
The American Vegetarian Cookbook (vegan fit for life people)
High Road to Health (Lindsay Wagner)

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:19 pm 

kittee wrote:
Sounds like you just want older vegan popular cookbooks? These were some of my first:
New Farm
The Cookbook for People who Love Animals
Tofu Cookery
Friendly Foods
Simply Heavenly
Perenniel Political Palate
The American Vegetarian Cookbook (vegan fit for life people)
High Road to Health (Lindsay Wagner)

I have all of those except for Perennial Political Palate. Does that mean I'm old? :-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:53 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The vegetarian books from the 70s like the Vegetarian Epicure, Laurel's Kitchen, and the Moosewood Cookbook did change my life back then, but were so dairy and egg heavy that I don't find them very relevant any longer. My vegan classics are the early books by Jo Stepaniak and Bryanna Clark Grogan. The Uncheese Cookbook (Jo) and then Nonna's Italian Kitchen and Authentic Chinese Cuisine (Bryanna) from the late 90s cemented my veganism. They were pretty hot then, but I guess I missed out on the earlier vegan cookbooks...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:22 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Jill wrote:
The vegetarian books from the 70s like the Vegetarian Epicure, Laurel's Kitchen, and the Moosewood Cookbook did change my life back then, but were so dairy and egg heavy that I don't find them very relevant any longer.

Yes, they really were LOADED with cheese and dairy! Of course, back then, all the wonderful resources available to us now were virtually nonexistent. When I first gave up meat, a veg meal when dining out (if you could find it) was likely a plate of iceberg lettuce topped with american cheese and orangey colored "tomatoes" that had all the appeal of cardboard! With all the great vegan cookbooks available now, I would no longer buy or recommend the Vegetarian Epicure books. Still, where I have them already, I do continue to make some of the vegan, or easily adaptable to being vegan, recipes they contain. Those poor books, which replaced worn out copies of the original Veg Epicure books I owned, are virtually falling apart!

Thinking along the lines of strictly vegan classics, is How it all Began too new an entry to consider? At least in my journey, I think it and Vegan Planet (which I seldom, if ever use these days) might qualify. The books looked good and the recipes they contained tasted great. More importantly, they were eye opening. Through them and some other non-cookbook resources, I came to realize that the dairy, egg and wool industries were even worse than the meat industry.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:16 am 
Saggy Butt

Gosh, I have and love most of these books.had my copy of The Farm since I was 10.

Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian Cooking is amazing. Hundreds of traditional recipes from the middle east through asia and india. There is an eggs chapter and a milk chapter but it's like 30 pages out of 400. If there's a vegetable you don't know what to do with, this book will tell you. Visually it's very similar to Vegetarian Epicure which I love. It was published in 1981.
I still love my Hare Krishna cookbooks even though they are really ghee-heavy. I have the Hare Krishna Guide to Vegetarian Cooking, and Lard Krishna's Cuisine, which is this huge beautiful hard-bound. I coveted my mom's copy forever and she gave it to me last Xmas. My preciousssss...