| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oh She Glows Cookbook
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:13 am 
Saggy Butt

Last night was an OSG night! Made the "Our Favorite Veggie Burgers", the Lightened-up Baked Fries and the Fudgy Mocha Cake.

For the burgers, I prepared the flax seed mixture and then just completely forgot to add it to the burgers, and they were already in the oven when I noticed. They still mostly held together, although some of them did crumble. I think they were good although I wouldn't necessarily call them my favorite. It was the first time I baked veggie burgers instead of frying them in the pan, and although it takes significantly more time, I think I'll bake them instead now as it clearly is a lighter way to eat them. Also wrapped them in lettuce leaves (Romaine) and it was delicious, will also be doing that more instead of buns.

The fries were delicious, I added a bit of sweet potatoes to the mix. I didn't add additional spices other than salt and pepper but next time I'll try with chili perhaps.

The Fudgy Mocha Cake, however, was a huge miss for me. I really disliked the texture, the taste was not bad but not so good either, and even if I left it in the oven for the minimum amount of time suggested it still came out mostly without the "fudgy" aspect of the cake. I thew out the rest. The similar recipe in Chloe's Vegan Desserts is much much better, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:25 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Accidentally went on a bit of an oh she glows kick this weekend. Last weekend at the farmer's market I bought a bunch of heirloom baby carrots without a real plan for them and by Thursday they were a bit sad, so I made the roasted carrots with lemon/cumin/coriander dressing. Accidentally added too much lemon juice but the dressing still worked and was very zippy. Will make again for sure! Since I only had a tiny bunch we had the carrots over salad more like a garnish and used the dressing on top of everything. Mr Moon and my Mom went nuts for them. We had the pan seared garlic tofu on the side - it was tasty and a good solution for when I want baked tofu but forgot to marinate. It won't be my go to method, but it was yummy enough and a decent way to introduce mom to tofu.

When she was flicking through OSG yesterday morning she kept getting stuck on the portobello mushroom burger with kale pesto recipe. Seeing as portobello burgers are kind of vegan cliche I have never bothered with them and I am kicking myself now. The kale pesto left something to be desired (tasted too much like kale and not enough like pesto which shouldn't be a surprise, plus the sun dried tomatoes got lost in it) but the burger itself paired with caramelized onions and tomatoes was heaven.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:11 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I made the zucchini chocolate muffins yesterday. These are nice. I'm spoiled by Isa's Bundt, so a lower sugar/whole wheat muffin seemed underwhelming to my taste buds. Mr. Jean thought they were great, so....I think they'll replace cake, because I do tend to eat way too much white flour and sugar.

I made the Baked Carrot Cake Oatmeal(from the blog) this morning for breakfast. We both really liked this. I did not add raisins and I forgot to add the walnuts, and it was still really good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:04 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Okay, so this morning we microwaved out left over Baked Carrot Cake Oatmeal, but this time we poured over some soy creamer and I sprinkled mine with dark brown sugar.....so good!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:23 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made two new-to-me recipes yesterday.

~Spiced Red Lentil & Kale Soup: I can see this one becoming a regular in fall & winter. It's really delicious with a nice kick from the spices. We're having it for breakfast this week.
~Immunity-something Tomato Sauce with Mushrooms: I've been wanting to make this one for quite awhile. It did not disappoint in the least. I left out the lentils to save time, but added spinach & a few kalamatas. Also, I used a blend of fresh heirloom tomatoes & fire-roasted tomatoes from the freezer. Served over zucchini noodles with pecan parmesan on top, it was vividly gorgeous & delicious!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:00 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I've mostly had great luck with this book:

*Baked apple-pear oatmeal: Really good. It ended up with a bread-pudding texture that really surprised me, given there's no bread or flour, and of course no eggs. Fruity and spicy and not too sweet. A++++, would nom again.

*Protein power goddess bowl: this ended up being an awful lot of work, since you cook the grains and lentils separately, plus making the dressing in the blender and sauteing everything else. however, it's forking delicious. I will make the tahini-lemon dressing often and use it on whatever I feel like eating.

*Butternut squash with almond "parmesan": I used kabocha squash and skipped the kale (because there was kale in the goddess bowl thingy). OMG, so good! Perfect balance of flavors, rich and savory and the squash has marvelous texture. The parmesan is easy to make and would be good on just about anything.

*Luxurious tomato-basil pasta: Meh. It was fine but did not stand out from the millions of other tomato-basil recipes in the world.

*Favorite veggie burgers: Fine, but not as good as the very similar Speedy Burgers from Vegetarian Planet.

*Mushroom pesto tart: Only made the topping and ate it on crostini. Holy umame, Batman! Delicious!

*Enchilada casserole: fabulous. Delicious stuff, and we loved the avocado cream sauce. The enchilada sauce is intensely flavorful and really makes this special.

*Overnight oatmeal: My one fail. I hated this. It was soggy and gritty and I used black chia seeds, which made it look like asphalt.

In general, Angela has a terrific palate and can make food that sounds aggressively health-foodish taste fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:49 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Vegemitey wrote:
I've mostly had great luck with this book:

*Baked apple-pear oatmeal: Really good. It ended up with a bread-pudding texture that really surprised me, given there's no bread or flour, and of course no eggs. Fruity and spicy and not too sweet. A++++, would nom again.

In general, Angela has a terrific palate and can make food that sounds aggressively health-foodish taste fantastic.

I can only second this! I also made the Gym Rat Smoothie twice and love it. Looking forward to trying the Echiladas sometime soon. All the recipes sound super yummy and don't need super-exotic ingredients (although fresh kale is near impossible to get where I live and cilantro can be a challenge as well...).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:52 am 
Saggy Butt

nifty wrote:
I can only second this! I also made the Gym Rat Smoothie twice and love it. Looking forward to trying the Echiladas sometime soon. All the recipes sound super yummy and don't need super-exotic ingredients (although fresh kale is near impossible to get where I live and cilantro can be a challenge as well...).

The enchiladas are delicious! It's worth it to make the sauce she suggests instead of buying one!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:06 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I already did prepare the sauce tonight since Enchilada sauce isn't really a thing in German supermarkets. It's yummy... I'm still lacking fresh cilantro though...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:21 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Ok, so made the Enchiladas for lunch and they're forking awesome! The avocado cream is still yummy without cilantro. Never made any kind of Enchiladas before, but I'm hooked. So good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:18 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I made the Maple Glazed Tempeh last night and it was tasty, but too sweet for me. I might try again with less maple syrup.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:43 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Made the tomato-mushroom sauce for dinner tonight including lentils. While I don't think it is a super original recipe, I still appreciate the concept of adding some protein to your usual tomato sauce. It tastes good and was super easy to prepare.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made the Chia donuts over the weekend. Such a quick recipe to prepare. Dense, slightly sweeter with a slight crunchiness from the seeds. They were tasty plain, but also good with jam and white chocolate peanut butter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:17 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

On Sunday I prepared the Eat Your Greens Detox Soup. It's probably one of the most "health foodish" recipes in the book so husband wouldn't touch it (as it has mushrooms, broccoli AND kale in it!). I quite like it, but didn't find it terribly filling. It's a good idea to top each serving with nori IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:19 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My mom was visiting this weekend, and I made her the summer harvest tortilla soup. She LOVED it and asked for the recipe. It is a lovely summer soup, but the toppings (avocado, crushed tortilla strips, cilantro) really make it special.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:46 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

One of my favorite bloggers. Here are my takes on some of the recipes:

15 minute creamy avocado pasta - I've made this a billion times (my kitchenaid mini prep is the perfect tool for it, if you have something similar). It just makes about 2 servings so sometimes I double it for leftovers. Perfect when you have several half-bruised avocados to use up. I do feel like it needs something in the pasta for tang and chew - I usually add chopped grape tomatoes or sundried tomatoes, and sometimes pine nuts or almond slivers. I also usually increase the basil in the recipe - it's fine with the called for amount, but I like a stronger pesto taste. Last night I made it with the Eggplant Tricolore (minus the cheese) in Plenty, and the salsa from that was the perfect topping. I added some cilantro to the basil as well, and that was good.

10 spice vegetable soup - this was DELICIOUS. The cashew cream left it more speckled than creamy like in the photo, but maybe that is because I used a food processor instead of a vitamix. It's very similar in flavor to the Gypsy Soup from the Moosewood cookbook. I used red lentils for a little beefiness but chickpeas would work really well imo.

The immunity-boosting spaghetti sauce - I don't know if this boosted my immunity, but it was pretty good. It was a little tart for me, my my bolognese-loving, omnivore, autistic brother that I made it for ate his entire plate in about 3 seconds and asked for more, and my omnivore mom liked it as well. The tartness might have just been the tomatoes I used, I must be sensitive to that flavor because I seem to feel like a lot of canned tomatoes are too tart. I used red lentils for some texture without too much lentil structure and that worked well. I couldn't even detect the chia seeds in the final sauce, they just serve to make it nice and thick. This would be perfect for a huevos en diavolo type of application if anyone knows how to veganize that!

Eat-your-greens detox soup - This wasn't the most delicious soup I had ever eaten in my life, but it was tasty for its extreme healthiness, and nothing in it is really caloric besides the coconut oil you sautee the onion in. It's nice for a serving of veggies alongside whatever you happen to be eating for a meal. I subbed cauliflower for the broccoli because it was on sale and beet greens for the kale because I had them, maybe it would have tasted better as written.

Mother Nature's Apple Crumble - This was tasty, and healthy enough for a sweet breakfast, but very, uh, fibrous. It could be called Apple Crisp for Regularity.

The mocha pudding cake thing - This was good, but not really what I expected. The texture was kind of like a saucy, cake-flavored oatmeal. I made my own oat flour in the food processor - I wonder if it would be more pudding cake-like with more finely ground purchased oat flour.

The lentil walnut loaf - LOVE this. I've been making it since before the book came out, from her blog. It's my yearly contribution to Thanksgiving. Some people are a little weird about it but some of the adventurous omnivores wind up going for seconds and I've never seen much left on someone's plate. The sauce really makes it, so make her sauce rather than using a bbq sauce. Since I went gluten free I have to use oat flour instead of breadcrumbs which makes it a little more goopy, but still good (I haven't found a cheap GF bread without egg). You can also make it in a muffin tin for mini lunch-size loaves.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:15 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Made the creamy potato & asparagus salad, and I added white beans and unchicken from Homemade Vegan Pantry and served it over a big bowl of greens to make it into a meal salad. SO good. So so good. I just grabbed this from the library and felt lukewarm about a lot of the recipes - now I'm excited to dig in more.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:38 am 
Saggy Butt

I wanted to revisit this cookbook as I am getting excited for Oh She Glows Every Day! I made the strawberry cherry bruschetta for a party and everyone loved them! The mint taste came through but not the basil, so I don't think it's necessary (especially if you buy a package just for this recipe).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:59 am 
Not NOT A Furry

The 10 spice soup was delicious. I swapped soy milk for the cashew cream to make it easier and added peas for a summer twist. Delicious! Now to use up that spice mix. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:29 am 
Saggy Butt

Made the Life-Affirming Nacho Dip and it was indeed delicious! I made only half the recipe and used a glass pie dish to cook it. Used salsa instead of marinara sauce as per comments from others who've made it. Will make again for parties for sure!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:24 pm 

Oooh, I need to make that. I made the enlightened miso power bowl recently, but I turned it into a salad by serving it over greens with only a little quinoa. I added unpork from Homemade Vegan Pantry for protein. Gooood. Also made the rad raw pad thai from the blog recently - delicious, but it really does take a lot of dressing to conquer all that raw cabbage. I really like her recipes, tho - I'm probably going to pre-order the second book so that I can get that bonus bundle!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:27 pm 
Saggy Butt

Ohh, that pad thai looks delicious! I need a spiralizer (and a trick to thinly slice cabbage properly!)!

I made the Summer Harvest Tortilla Soup (I'm on a roll, pre-ordered OSG Every Day and determined to maximize the first to concentrate on the second when it arrives); simple but again, really good topped with avocado.

I also have my eye on the cauliflower cream sauce pasta recipe on her blog!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:35 am 

Stella wrote:
Ohh, that pad thai looks delicious! I need a spiralizer (and a trick to thinly slice cabbage properly!)!

I made the Summer Harvest Tortilla Soup (I'm on a roll, pre-ordered OSG Every Day and determined to maximize the first to concentrate on the second when it arrives); simple but again, really good topped with avocado.

I just bought the pre-shredded organic red cabbage from trader Joe's - worked fine!! For the zucchini noodles, you could probably get away with using a peeler to make ribbons... just saying!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:48 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The perfected chickpea salad sandwich really is perfection, even with a lot of substitutions. I left the chickpeas whole instead of mashing them. I used 1/4c hummus instead of mayo as per a suggestion upthread, and this worked beautifully. Diced red instead of green onion, diced carrot instead of red bell pepper, added optional fresh dill, omitted lemon juice. Seriously, this stuff is incredible.

We made the empowered noodle bowl last night with the Thai peanut sauce. I tripled the sauce recipe, which was not a good idea - it was way too sour from all the lime juice. I managed to salvage it with extra peanuts and dates. Turned out great!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

Gwenlet wrote:
Stella wrote:

I just bought the pre-shredded organic red cabbage from trader Joe's - worked fine!! For the zucchini noodles, you could probably get away with using a peeler to make ribbons... just saying!

Oh that's true, thanks!

Made the Almond Brownies (not gluten-free), and to my surprise (because the texture didn't look convincing!) they are amazing. So good, and so filling because of the almonds which is useful to not eat too many! My new favorite brownie recipe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next