| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oh She Glows Cookbook
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

We're not so much into watching the Super Bowl in our house but Super Bowl party food for dinner? That's another story. We just made the Life-Afffirming Warm Nacho Dip and Taco Fiesta Potato Crisps from Oh She Glows and both were awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:50 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Those photos are amazing, crispy!

Today I made the ultimate nutty granola clusters, effortless anytime balsamic vinaigrette, Mother nature's apple crumble, and the almond meal. The balsamic dressing is just insanely good, I'm forcing myself not to drink it from the jar. The apple crumble was easy and hit the spot this morning for a decadent breakfast. The almond meal method was super easy. The granola is in the oven so I haven't tried it yet, but I snuck a taste before it went into the oven and I think it's going to be heavenly!

I'm planning to make the raw buckwheat porridge for work breakfasts this week.

I just love this cookbook.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:52 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the African Peanut Stew and I wasn't impressed. I thought it would be creamier and that I would taste the peanut butter more. Anyone have suggestions of other recipes for such a stew that are creamier and in which the peanut butter tastes more?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:15 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Stella wrote:
I made the African Peanut Stew and I wasn't impressed. I thought it would be creamier and that I would taste the peanut butter more. Anyone have suggestions of other recipes for such a stew that are creamier and in which the peanut butter tastes more?

Try the West African Peanut Stew from Nut Butter Universe, its far more nutty

Facebook

http://thechroniclesofbanania.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:46 am 
Saggy Butt

crispy, your pic reminded me that I need to make the potato crisps again soon! They are gone in a flash in this house.

Stella wrote:

I agree, it wasn't peanut buttery enough. The Guatita (potato stew) in Viva Vegan is thicker and more peanut buttery.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks I'll try those!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:09 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

littlechickadee wrote:
crispy, your pic reminded me that I need to make the potato crisps again soon! They are gone in a flash in this house.

Stella wrote:

I agree, it wasn't peanut buttery enough. The Guatita (potato stew) in Viva Vegan is thicker and more peanut buttery.

There's also this version from the Vegan Stoner cookbook and blog. It's peanutty and I liked it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:32 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I was planning on making the sweet potato and peanut soup tonight, but wasn't super excited since it's similar to an allrecipes.com one I've been making since I first went veg. Then I flicked by he 10 spice veg soup recipe, which conveniently calls for 1.5 cups of potato or butternut squash and I had exactly that much squash sitting in my fridge. It was meant to be.

I did the lazy version, using Cajun spice from a bottle instead of her spice blend, and using 2T. I also reduced the cashews just a smidge, 2/3 cup instead of 3/4 because I am cheap and trying to reduce calories a bit. I also added extra cayenne since we like spice. Subbed zucchini for he greens because I had a small one languishing in the crisper.

And let me just say this recipe is JAMMIN and doesn't get enough love. Mr Moon really liked it too. Can't wait for leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:37 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I LOVED the Life Affirming Warm Nacho Dip, but this was the first recipe I've made for my mom that she didn't even want to finish her portion! It made me sad! :( I don't know what is not to like about it! She said "It's OK".

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:30 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Yesterday I made the morning glory smoothie with raspberries instead of strawberries. It was yummy and pink but nothing new as far as smoothies go.

We had the grilled long weekend salad to go with dinner which my neighbour referred to as "corn crack" - she absolutely loved it. We liked it too. I have a bit left over that I'll toss with romaine for tonight and add fresh avocado.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:26 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We made the Strawberry-Mango Guac yesterday for a Memorial day get-together. My husband forgot to rinse the red onion (I'd never read that trick before, really want to try it) to mellow out the flavor. Also, our mostly mashed avocado turned the whole thing a not-very-appealing shade of brownish, instead of the Gorgeous bright colors in the book.

That said, it was incredible. My mom ate most of it by herself. It was totally addictive & will definitely be made in the future!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:27 pm 

It's cold this evening so I made the Metabolism-boosting green citrus tea. I'm in love with the green tea/grapefruit combination. I'll make a pitcher of an iced version of this tea when it gets warmer outside!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've revisited this book this week. We've really enjoyed everything: protein power bowls, miso maple orange noodle bowls, and the best veggie burgers. I had never made spelt berries (for the protein power bowl) before but had a bag that my partner randomly bought. They were really tasty and had a awesome chewy texture. The noodle bowl was so amazing that I dreamed about it later and had trouble waiting until lunch time to eat the leftovers.

I usually don't bother to make veggie burgers at home because it is so often something I get at restaurants, but these really were the best veggie burgers I had ever had. So glad we tried them. I made homemade buns from Vegan Diner which probably helped the experience considerably.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:28 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I made the quinoa cashew cheese broccoli wraps for the third time. It makes a ton of filling so makes work lunches easy for the week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Marzipan wrote:
I made the quinoa cashew cheese broccoli wraps for the third time. It makes a ton of filling so makes work lunches easy for the week.

I made these for dinner tonight! So yummy. I had my share over romaine lettuce instead of a tortilla.

I made a double batch of the perfected chickpea salad for lunch. It's my favorite chickpea salad that I have made a billion times. My daughter helped me make pita bread to go along with it...amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:00 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I can't believe I've waited this long to make the Almond Butter Choc Chip Cookies. What's not to love? Mine seemed a bit more chewy than crispy, but I figure they'll crisp up some more. It didn't bother me anyway.

I love this variation on the standard cc cookie. The almond butter gives it a wonderful depth of flavor & the oat/almond combo give it a little of an oatmeal cookie vibe.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Made the peanut butter cookie dough bites and they were awesome. Subbed in some Bailey's Irish Cream for the vanilla - great idea, folks!

Shared my version today on the blog.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

saveur wrote:
Made the peanut butter cookie dough bites and they were awesome. Subbed in some Bailey's Irish Cream for the vanilla - great idea, folks!

Shared my version today on the blog.

I'm confused by this. As far as I'm aware Baileys is not vegan and never has been. Have I missed some radical recipe change?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:47 am 
BAD PASS

I also was confused and briefly excited, until I googled the ingredients.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 am 
Not NOT A Furry

ack, sorry. I forgot Bailey's wasn't vegan. That's what I get for using things not from my own kitchen! :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:54 am 

saveur wrote:
ack, sorry. I forgot Bailey's wasn't vegan. That's what I get for using things not from my own kitchen! :(

Oh She Glows just happens to have a recipe for homemade vegan Bailey's!
http://ohsheglows.com/2012/03/12/homema ... ade-vegan/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:57 am 
Not NOT A Furry

kidsdoc wrote:
saveur wrote:

Oh She Glows just happens to have a recipe for homemade vegan Bailey's!
http://ohsheglows.com/2012/03/12/homema ... ade-vegan/

love it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:10 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

kidsdoc wrote:
It's cold this evening so I made the Metabolism-boosting green citrus tea. I'm in love with the green tea/grapefruit combination. I'll make a pitcher of an iced version of this tea when it gets warmer outside!

It's hot here so I made the iced version! It's good, but I think it gets a little weird/bitter if you let it sit in the fridge for a few days. More reason to drink it quick I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:16 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Reread through this cookbook again and it really is geared to omni friendly gatherings. Lots of options for BBQs, etc. I made the tomato sauce this weekend and it was excellent.

I also plan to make the Italian marinaded mushrooms.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:14 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm also adding my thumbs up for the 10 spice vegetable soup. I made it with sweet potato and kale, I made Angela's 10 spice mix because I did have all the ingredients. My subs were crushed tomatoes instead of whole, and I added a full fat unsweetened soy milk at the end of the cooking time instead of the cashew cream (cashews being too expensive). This was hands down my favourite new meal recipe we've tried so far this year. It was just simply delicious. Some soups taste great the first few mouthfuls, and then two thirds into the bowl, it starts to taste kind of meh. This soup was tasty right to the bottom of the bowl. Looking forward to having leftovers for dinner tomorrow.

We also were surprised by how much we like the Out the Door Power Chia Donuts. Although I don't have a donut pan, so I make muffinettes and I've not bothered with the icing because we wrap them up to go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next