| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Afro-Vegan by Braynt Terry
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:44 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

jdfunks, your spread was very ambitious and sounds fantastic!

Last night, I made the Fresh Corn Grits with Swiss Chard and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes. It has four components: fluffy cashew cream, grits with fresh corn, chard (I had rainbow!), and tomatoes. And it seemed like it would be harder than it was, but I put the tomatoes in the oven for 30 minutes, and the rest came together while they were cooking because I have learned to ABS (always be soaking) from Isa Does It.

I started doing Terry's cashew cream for grits waaaaay back when Vegan Soul Kitchen came out (in 2009). It's such an easy step that makes grits oh-so-good. Because normally I think they're sort of boring.

I'm really pleased with the book so far. I agree with people who've said his recipes are (1) too fussy and (2) have too much oil. But so far this book has been neither of those things. Or rather, there are fussy recipes, but also many simple ones. And the "street food" chapter has lots of oil and fried things, but the simple recipes I've made so far used "normal" amounts, like a tablespoon for a recipe that serves 4.

Maybe just because it's still new, but I think this is my favorite of his books.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:29 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I made the grits with slow-braised collards (subbed mustard greens for collards). Time-consuming as heck but so so so good. I think I will look to this when looking to veganize the West-African dishes I grew up with. I'm totally going to buy this tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:10 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

RunLonger wrote:
jdfunks, your spread was very ambitious and sounds fantastic!

Last night, I made the Fresh Corn Grits with Swiss Chard and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes. It has four components: fluffy cashew cream, grits with fresh corn, chard (I had rainbow!), and tomatoes.

I'm so excited for the end of the summer to use the best local corn and tomatoes for this! That recipe looks beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The grits and greens.... SO GOOD. Pretty sure it's in my top 5 now. Took over an hour though, and dirtied 3 different pots, so not a particularly weeknight-friendly meal.

The recipe was featured on seriouseats: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014 ... vegetarian

Is mollyjade in this thread? I saw that no one answered her question on the serious eats page. There's only supposed to be 3 tbsp of oil; it's listed twice accidentally.

Post subject: Re: Afro-Vegan by Bryant Terry
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:15 am 
Saggy Butt

Recipe, review and giveaway shared:

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2014/07 ... wgiveaway/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:47 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Okay, for anyone else facing tons of zucchini this summer, the grilled zucchini marinated with herbs was really good and easy. It was probably the best zucchini I've ever eaten.

I can't wait to try the grilled corn with the mustard green sauce. That's next on my list.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:57 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The BBQ tofu kabobs were really good. I find it a PITA to make kabobs in general, but these were worth the effort. The BBQ sauce is amazing. I'm going to use the leftovers to make baked beans.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:49 pm 
Hail Seitan!

I made a couple things out of here today and both were very good. The Jamaican patties with maque choux were yummy - I left out the habenero because I didn't have one and subbed a red bell pepper for the green. Results were delicious. My corn took longer to cook than he said it would - ~20 minutes vs 8-10 as written in the recipe.

I served them with the banana - chipotle hot sauce recipe that's in the book. This was also very good, very easy, and very pantry friendly. I can see myself making this recipe often.

I'm planning on making the savory grits with slow cooked collard greens soon, so I'll report back on that too.