| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Afro-Vegan by Braynt Terry
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

my dad saw the word vegan and didn't recognize the title so he assumed I didn't have it and sent it to me! (good assumption) I am real excited to cook through this!!!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:47 am 
Nailed to the V

booberthefraggle wrote:
my dad saw the word vegan and didn't recognize the title so he assumed I didn't have it and sent it to me! (good assumption) I am real excited to cook through this!!!

What a nice dad!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

Just made the Savory Grits with Slow-Cooked Collard Greens for dinner and it's so delicious! I just cut the amounts down by half since it's just me, but I ended up eating all of it. I'd say that the stated yield works out if you're planning on serving this with a side or two.

Also made the Tamarind Sweet Tea earlier this week. Not sure I put enough syrup in it, since it seemed like a lot, or if I cooked down the tamarind too much, because it was a little too bitter for me. The Vanilla Bean Syrup is fantastic though, and I used it to sweetened the author's lavender lemonade (Vegan Soul Kitchen)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:40 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made the Verdant Vegetable Couscous with Spicy Mustard (well, dandelion, as I couldn't find mustard) Greens last night. It was pretty fiddly but a little bit less time consuming than some of his other recipes. Oh, and delicious. It was delicious. We had veggie fish filets on the side and spooned some of the dandelion greens relish on top - our mouths were on fire (seriously, the recipe calls for jalapeno AND red pepper flakes AND cayenne!) but it was so good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

tofu_crouton wrote:
I have a review posted as well.

I really like this book, but if your concern is prep time, then you might be disappointed. As I mention in the review, his recipes are often overly intensive. This is purposeful though; the recipes are more for building community than for satisfying physical hunger.

Fantastic review! Now I really want it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The curried scalloped potatoes are soooo good. My husband and I ate half of a large casserole dish ourselves. A little time consuming for a side dish (over an hour total), but there's a lot of downtime. We had them with Isa's basic baked tofu and Bianca's mess o' greens.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:16 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

This is a gorgeous cookbook! The Kindle preview version doesn't do it justice.

The first thing I made is the Tomato-Garlic Broth with Spinach (p. 44). Bryant retweeted a pic of someone who made this soup with chickpeas instead of hominy and as I don't have access to hominy, I decided to do that as well. It was good! The only thing I changed is that I left the veggies in (I'm not a fan of straining soups, it feels like a waste of veggies!) and that I probably didn't cook it quite as long. Come to think of it, I also used more spinach. (Sorry, Bryant, I'm terrible at sticking to recipes... The note at the end of the introduction made me feel quite guilty.)

I pan-fried the chickpeas in a little oil instead of deep-frying them. The soup was even better the next day, after the parsley had time to mingle. (I added it to the pot, not the individual plates.)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:00 am 
Inflexitarian

I have his other two books.... I don't use them enough but I really like them, so I will probably get this one at some point soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:12 am 
Tofu Pup

Serious Eats is posting some of the recipes for preview. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/cook-the-book-afro-vegan-by-bryant-terry.html

"We'll simmer a delightful hominy, tomato, and spinach soup and toss together a bright, springy pea and cabbage slaw. Later we'll fry a few batches of creole-spiced plantain chips and bake a skillet of nutty cornbread. We'll end the week with a dish that is emblematic of Terry's synthetic cuisine: savory grits topped with Ethiopian stewed collard greens."

Those plantain chips look really good, and plantains are super cheap here.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:54 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I came here to post that Serious Eats was covering this too! Also, they're giving away five copies.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:27 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

one of my sisters sent this to my sweetie for his bday and it looks wonderful, he's already flagged a bunch of recipes to have. All the Ethiopian/berbere stuff sounds great, as do the tofu po boys and that tomato-garlic soup too!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:46 pm 
Chard Martyr

I finally got my copy and I LOVE IT! I am so excited to dive in. It's beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:11 am 
Chard Martyr

Okay so the chermoula tempeh is incredible and the dukkah cornbread is life-changing. Seriously you guys, make the cornbread! http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014 ... vegan.html

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:40 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I've been wanting to make the chermoula tempeh since I first laid eyes on the recipe! I've finally got some tempeh in the fridge, so I'll make it soon.

Today I made the tofu curry - delicious! I used spinach instead of mustard greens. This is probably one of the least time-consuming recipes in the book - definitely recommended.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:00 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the Curried Scalloped Potatoes with Coconut Milk on Sunday, with the collard greens from AFR and Coconut Rice from VwaV. Delicious! It made a lot, so I am still eating it all...

The potatoes just melt in your mouth, and they are so creamy!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:33 pm 
Chard Martyr

I am really excited for watermelon season!

This book is my favourite bedtime/bath reading these days. I am so excited to finish my move so I can dive in with reckless abandon for the state of my kitchen!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:33 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who reads cookbooks in the bathtub.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

How do you weirdos not get your books wet?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:39 am 
Chard Martyr

Oh my cookbooks get destroyed, believe me. It doesn't bother me as long as I can still read them!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The chermoula tempeh is aaamaaaazing.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:14 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I got started yesterday with two easy recipes:

First Smashed Potatoes, Peas, and Corn with Chile-Garlic Oil. The recipe intro says these are a cross between tostones and "irio," a Kenyan dish. It takes a while because the potatoes are first steamed and then baked, but there's a LOT of down time and it's SUPER easy. I had both fresh peas and fresh corn, and LOVED the results. I will definitely make these again - probably any time I can get fresh peas that are already shelled (because I'm lazy). Yum!

While the potatoes for the above were doing their thing, I made the Tofu Curry with Mustard Greens, except I used kale due a run on mustard greens at the grocery. This was also really easy. The recipe list looks long, but it's mostly spices - it comes together fast. I really love the heaping spoonful of peanut butter in the tomato sauce. To me, that's the best way to eat greens. So this is on the make-again list too.

A word about the cookbook: it's pretty! There are lots of pictures throughout the book, not just a folio in the middle. It's a nice hardback that lays flat on the counter top. For the most part, you have one recipe to a page, although some take two. The publisher didn't give it quite the star treatment that Isa's latest book got, but it's really a nice looking book. Also, I thought there were more easier, quicker recipes in this book than in his previous. I know that's not really his thing, but maybe it just worked out that way.

I have a two-column list of recipes I want to try. This is going to be a great farmer's market cookbook for the summer.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:18 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

RunLonger wrote:
I really love the heaping spoonful of peanut butter in the tomato sauce.

Me too!

I finally made the chermoula tempeh and yup, it's great! However, I should have been more diligent when measuring the herbs - I only got a yield of about 1 cup of the sauce. Oops! I was planning to use the leftovers for tofu and now there aren't any...

I also made the za'atar roasted potatoes last week (I subbed yellow potatoes) - they were good too!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

1) Can someone please fix the spelling on this thread title? It's driving me a wee bit bonkers. : )

2) I get so lost in such a good way exploring his books, gosh. I currently have this one from the library to see if I'd want to buy it, and I'm thinking a big yes. I cooked a big spread last night for friends who'd been traveling the past month to welcome them back, and everything was so memorable and interesting (and yes, delicious). His recipes are definitely overwhelming, because it's always this method + this multi-step sauce + putting it altogether, but if I'm not crushed for time, or have time to prep the night before, that's what I want from a cookbook and my own meals.
Anyway, our spread had the chermoula tempeh, blackened cauliflower (which I opted to boil + roast vs. the extra frying step, and next time I'd just roast) with plum tomato sauce, teff biscuits with plantain spread (the biscuits devoured, the plantain spread a little less so, but my plantain was a bit underripe, and the spread was still enjoyed. One friend paired it with Earth Balance and was digging that) and the pili pili hot sauce to top everything. I'm looking forward to putting that sauce on corn and soy curls and everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:44 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just got this today and it looks amazing. I was thinking about making the Jamaican patties at the weekend while the resident corn hater is still away. Can a more experienced pastry maker than myself (anyone) cast their eyes over the recipe and tell me if you think 5 cups of flour and 2 cups coconut oil sounds right for 6 patties? It sounds like masses to me and I don't really want to use 2 cups of pricey coconut oil and have a whole load left.

(I may end up picking something else this weekend or be too busy to spend that time, but it is on my list for some point!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:51 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I've only ever made the lentil patties from Caribbean Vegan and Taymer uses 1.5 cups of flour in that recipe. It's a recipe for 4 people (which means it's 2 meals for me if I'm eating on my own, just like all other "4 servings" recipes I've ever seen). So, yes, I agree - 5 cups of flour seems like a lot and it might be best to halve it if you don't have a lot of freezer space.