| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Cookbooks 2015
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:11 pm 
WRETCHED

I can't imagine any vegan getting more than 125g protein/day. Even when I was doing super heavy lifting and gained a ton of muscle, I was eating 60-80g per day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:33 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

I tested for Celine's and Tami's book and I didin't get the impression that it's about promoting a high protein diet. It's just full of delicious recipes that will help you meet your protein needs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:04 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I gather that BabyCakes is coming out with a vegan, gluten free bread baking book in March.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:37 pm 

Greens 24/7: More Than 100 Quick, Easy, and Delicious Recipes for Eating Leafy Greens and Other Green Veggies at Every Meal, Every Day by Jessica Nadel -- January 6, 2015

This looks like a book with a great deal of potential. Here's the blurb:

Quote:
We all know greens are good for you but who would have thought they could be so much fun?

Greens 24:7 shows you how, with over 100 recipes for using 43 different types of greens for every meal of the day. From breakfasts on the go like the Elvis Romaine Roll, to Kale Pesto Canapes as an appetizer or snack, to Chocolate Hazelnut Avocado Torte for dessert, readers will find motivating, innovative recipes that pack a serious nutritional punch.

There’s something for everyone, with recipes that use greens anyone can find at their local market, and some they will be inspired to seek out: kale, chard, spinach, cucumber, avocado, zucchini, broccoli, cilantro, peas, collards, cabbage, bok choy, celery, arugula, romaine, broccoli rabe, pepper, turnip greens, pepper, turnip greens, radish greens, edamame, pea shoots, chayote squash, spirulina, Brussels sprouts, beet greens, green beans, watercress, escarole, lettuce, nori, radicchio, dandelion, green beans, artichoke, green papaya, asparagus, green onion, kelp, agave, green olive & nettle.

Filled with nutritional information, fun techniques, and green facts (gram for gram, kale contains 17 times more Vitamin C than carrots), Greens 24:7 will inspire readers to get their greens on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:33 pm 

Looks like there's a 10th Anniversay updated edition of Vegan with a Vengeance coming out in May!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:51 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

LFL wrote:
Looks like there's a 10th Anniversay updated edition of Vegan with a Vengeance coming out in May!

Ok, I am all over that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:52 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

LFL wrote:

Quote:
The protein one also looks good. I am really trying to get my protein up. Not that I am wasting away on rabbit food (haha) but I am exercising a lot and with weights. I really need to get more protein in my meals (like 125g+ per day), not just with shakes and stuff.

I have heard so much mixed nutritional advice about protein that I'm confused about what the ideal amount is. I've heard more than once that a lot of protein can cause calcium depletion, so I hope the high protein cookbook takes that into account and that the recipes are calcium rich, as well.

This used to be what nutritionists thought, but more recent research shows that it's not true.

http://www.theveganrd.com/2013/08/calci ... egans.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:44 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
LFL wrote:

Quote:
The protein one also looks good. I am really trying to get my protein up. Not that I am wasting away on rabbit food (haha) but I am exercising a lot and with weights. I really need to get more protein in my meals (like 125g+ per day), not just with shakes and stuff.

I have heard so much mixed nutritional advice about protein that I'm confused about what the ideal amount is. I've heard more than once that a lot of protein can cause calcium depletion, so I hope the high protein cookbook takes that into account and that the recipes are calcium rich, as well.

This used to be what nutritionists thought, but more recent research shows that it's not true.

http://www.theveganrd.com/2013/08/calci ... egans.html

That is really good to know. I stand corrected, but how odd: I got my information from a professional dietitian who isn't even vegan or vegetarian, but omni, and this was three or four years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Looks like my book, Teff Love: Vegan Ethiopian Cooking has been pushed back to the new year.

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:40 pm 

kittee wrote:
Looks like my book, Teff Love: Vegan Ethiopian Cooking has been pushed back to the new year.

Thanks for letting us know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:46 pm 

I saw that Ann Gentry of Real Food Daily is coming out with an updated and paperback edition of Vegan Family Meals, called Real Food for Everyone.

I feel like I just got Vegan Family Meals though I guess it's been three years. Still, it makes me want the updated version instead of the one I have, and I'm annoyed that it's coming out this soon after the original. I'm also not crazy about the title change. How will people know it's the same book if they don't read the book description carefully? They could end up purchasing it by mistake.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:59 pm 

A couple 2015 cookbook concepts that look interesting:

Plant-based Paleo: Protein-rich Vegan Recipes for Well-being and Vitality by Jenna Zoe – February 15, 2015

Street Vegan: Delicious Dispatches from the Cinnamon Snail Food Truck by Adam Sobel– May 5, 2015

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:42 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I've already pre-ordered a bunch of 2015 cookbooks!
- Vegan Pressure Cooking by JL Fields (I tested for it, it's fabulous!)
- But I Could Never Go Vegan by Kristy Tuner of Keepin' It Kind
- Happy Healthy Vegan Kitchen by Kathy Patalsky of Happy Healthy Life

I have my eye on:
- the Cinnamon Snail cookbook
- the Great Vegan Protein Book

2015 is going to be a delicious year!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:32 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Simple Recipes for Joy: More Than 200 Delicious Vegan Recipes by Sharon Gannon available Sepember 16

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:28 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

LFL wrote:
I saw that Ann Gentry of Real Food Daily is coming out with an updated and paperback edition of Vegan Family Meals, called Real Food for Everyone.

I feel like I just got Vegan Family Meals though I guess it's been three years. Still, it makes me want the updated version instead of the one I have, and I'm annoyed that it's coming out this soon after the original. I'm also not crazy about the title change. How will people know it's the same book if they don't read the book description carefully? They could end up purchasing it by mistake.

This is the kind of thing that happens when a book doesn't sell as well as expected and the publisher tries to rebrand it. They're taking it from a limited audience (vegan families) to a bigger audience (the real food movement and "everyone").

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

mollyjade wrote:
LFL wrote:

This is the kind of thing that happens when a book doesn't sell as well as expected and the publisher tries to rebrand it. They're taking it from a limited audience (vegan families) to a bigger audience (the real food movement and "everyone").

Yes, they did something like that with "Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites" too. I hope they're not shredding a pile of printed unsold copies of these books' first editions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:54 pm 

kidsdoc wrote:
I've already pre-ordered a bunch of 2015 cookbooks!
- Vegan Pressure Cooking by JL Fields (I tested for it, it's fabulous!)
- But I Could Never Go Vegan by Kristy Tuner of Keepin' It Kind
- Happy Healthy Vegan Kitchen by Kathy Patalsky of Happy Healthy Life

I have my eye on:
- the Cinnamon Snail cookbook
- the Great Vegan Protein Book

2015 is going to be a delicious year!

That's great news about Vegan Pressure Cooking! I'm really excited about that one now!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:57 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
LFL wrote:

I think the title comes from the name of Gentry's restaurant, Real Food Daily. It's also a more appropriate title than Vegan Family Meals because the recipes aren't so simple so as to be ideal for busy parents cooking on weeknights.

I don't like rebranding though. I got excited that she had a new book out and was disappointed to realize it's one I already have. But what's worse is that someone could purchase it and only then come to the same realization.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:46 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

creep wrote:
LFL wrote:
creep wrote:
Isa's working on an entertaining book, but I don't think it has a name or release date yet.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm looking forward to it! Where did you hear about it? I looked through the home page links but didn't see anything listed in the obvious places (Books, FAQ), and I didn't want people to think I was overlooking her.

I'm testing.

so another one I'll need to buy... I'm sad for my overflowing bookshelf while excited at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 pm 
Huffs Nooch

rohai wrote:
so another one I'll need to buy... I'm sad for my overflowing bookshelf while excited at the same time.

I used to be a huge fan of physical cookbooks, but with so many awesome vegan cookbooks coming out and so little bookshelf space, I've started buying everything as e-books. I make exception for ridiculously beautiful cookbooks (ie Isa Does It, Afro-Vegan, Oh She Glows), but this approach is a lot easier on my tiny apt.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:56 pm 

kidsdoc wrote:
rohai wrote:

I used to be a huge fan of physical cookbooks, but with so many awesome vegan cookbooks coming out and so little bookshelf space, I've started buying everything as e-books. I make exception for ridiculously beautiful cookbooks (ie Isa Does It, Afro-Vegan, Oh She Glows), but this approach is a lot easier on my tiny apt.

I have the same approach. Ebooks are a huge space saver and are often priced more reasonably too. The only downsides (1) taking the ebook reader into the kitchen where it can get splattered with food and (2) this makes it much too easy to buy too many!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

LFL wrote:
this makes it much too easy to buy too many!

That's the pitfall for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:55 pm 

Minatomachi wrote:
LFL wrote:
this makes it much too easy to buy too many!

That's the pitfall for me.

For me too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

the cinnamon snail is up for pre-order (finally!)

next year is gonna be awesome for vegan books as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:49 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

miyoko schinner (artisan vegan cheese author) has a book on vegan staples coming out.

i'm interested in it for just one recipe--- a feta with brine that gets better with time. i have my own feta that i think is respectable, but it could always be improved on...

to be clear- i'm not a cheerleader for the artisan vegan cheese book; i've made a few of the things in the book and they were good/edible but not great. that said, i'm not inclined to discount the effort because to me making good vegan cheese is a new frontier; and at least schinner is pointing out the techniques that *can* be used to make cheese...and that's nothing to be sniffed at...

and in less than 72 hours i'll be attempting gluten free seitan for an ethiopian dish : )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next