| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Upcoming Cookbooks 2015
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:11 pm 
WRETCHED

I can't imagine any vegan getting more than 125g protein/day. Even when I was doing super heavy lifting and gained a ton of muscle, I was eating 60-80g per day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:33 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

I tested for Celine's and Tami's book and I didin't get the impression that it's about promoting a high protein diet. It's just full of delicious recipes that will help you meet your protein needs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:04 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I gather that BabyCakes is coming out with a vegan, gluten free bread baking book in March.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:37 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Greens 24/7: More Than 100 Quick, Easy, and Delicious Recipes for Eating Leafy Greens and Other Green Veggies at Every Meal, Every Day by Jessica Nadel -- January 6, 2015

This looks like a book with a great deal of potential. Here's the blurb:

Quote:
We all know greens are good for you but who would have thought they could be so much fun?

Greens 24:7 shows you how, with over 100 recipes for using 43 different types of greens for every meal of the day. From breakfasts on the go like the Elvis Romaine Roll, to Kale Pesto Canapes as an appetizer or snack, to Chocolate Hazelnut Avocado Torte for dessert, readers will find motivating, innovative recipes that pack a serious nutritional punch.

There’s something for everyone, with recipes that use greens anyone can find at their local market, and some they will be inspired to seek out: kale, chard, spinach, cucumber, avocado, zucchini, broccoli, cilantro, peas, collards, cabbage, bok choy, celery, arugula, romaine, broccoli rabe, pepper, turnip greens, pepper, turnip greens, radish greens, edamame, pea shoots, chayote squash, spirulina, Brussels sprouts, beet greens, green beans, watercress, escarole, lettuce, nori, radicchio, dandelion, green beans, artichoke, green papaya, asparagus, green onion, kelp, agave, green olive & nettle.

Filled with nutritional information, fun techniques, and green facts (gram for gram, kale contains 17 times more Vitamin C than carrots), Greens 24:7 will inspire readers to get their greens on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Looks like there's a 10th Anniversay updated edition of Vegan with a Vengeance coming out in May!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LFL wrote:
Looks like there's a 10th Anniversay updated edition of Vegan with a Vengeance coming out in May!

Ok, I am all over that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:52 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

LFL wrote:

Quote:
The protein one also looks good. I am really trying to get my protein up. Not that I am wasting away on rabbit food (haha) but I am exercising a lot and with weights. I really need to get more protein in my meals (like 125g+ per day), not just with shakes and stuff.

I have heard so much mixed nutritional advice about protein that I'm confused about what the ideal amount is. I've heard more than once that a lot of protein can cause calcium depletion, so I hope the high protein cookbook takes that into account and that the recipes are calcium rich, as well.

This used to be what nutritionists thought, but more recent research shows that it's not true.

http://www.theveganrd.com/2013/08/calci ... egans.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

mollyjade wrote:
LFL wrote:

Quote:
The protein one also looks good. I am really trying to get my protein up. Not that I am wasting away on rabbit food (haha) but I am exercising a lot and with weights. I really need to get more protein in my meals (like 125g+ per day), not just with shakes and stuff.

I have heard so much mixed nutritional advice about protein that I'm confused about what the ideal amount is. I've heard more than once that a lot of protein can cause calcium depletion, so I hope the high protein cookbook takes that into account and that the recipes are calcium rich, as well.

This used to be what nutritionists thought, but more recent research shows that it's not true.

http://www.theveganrd.com/2013/08/calci ... egans.html

That is really good to know. I stand corrected, but how odd: I got my information from a professional dietitian who isn't even vegan or vegetarian, but omni, and this was three or four years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:03 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Looks like my book, Teff Love: Vegan Ethiopian Cooking has been pushed back to the new year.

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar