| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Everyday Vegan Eats by Zsu Dever
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:06 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

cadryskitchen wrote:
There's an international giveaway for 2 copies of Everyday Vegan Eats today on the Vegan MoFo blog: http://www.veganmofo.com/everyday-vegan-eats-giveaway/

I won! I won I won I won! I'm so excited and have been trying really (really) hard to win this book. I have a feeling I will end up cooking through it like I have been with IDI.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:07 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

It came today! And this book looks pretty awesome. I've only done a cursory read through, and wanted to make notes here for anyone curious. I'm sure some of my comments were also reflected in blog posts by others but I'll say it all anyway.

My very first thought was that this book would be amazing for a new vegan, cooking experience or not. This book gives you the cursory "setting up a vegan pantry" info but also super basics like, what is slicing/chopping/minced/shredded/dicing, etc. How to sautée/pan fry/roast a pepper. Where to shop, how to press tofu.

There's also an extensive section of basics. Home made broth powder from basic ingredients, BBQ sauce, veg broth, tomato sauce. The broth powder in particular is in lots of recipes.

The book also has lots of pages interspersed that give concise info for the new vegan. One page about giving up dairy, another about protein. These pages are given a different background colour. Along the same lines is a page pointing out the 30 minute recipes in the book - a page I will surely refer to. All of them look like the would require little to no work ahead of time.

There is an excellent range of recipes here, from typical Americana to non-threatening ethnic dishes to a handful of dishes I've never heard of, let alone seen in a cookbook. I like that Zsu's background lends to Eastern European ethnic options and not just Asian, which seems to be the fallback of other books. Not that Asian food isn't represented here! Most ingredients look like they'd be readily available unless you're in a major vegan wasteland.

I love that subs are listed for many recipes, especially when a protein is involved, and also the recipes that call for pricey mushrooms. Also, the recipes appear to be well seasoned. Unlike some authors that seem to fall short on a regular basis or others that over salt, the seasonings in this book look like they would be dead on.

A couple quick notes that might be of concern to others:

There is analogues used here. Vegan sausage is mentioned a few times, but we all know where to find a recipe for that. My bigger concern is that sour cream/cream cheese is in more than a handful of recipes. At least it's in small amounts for the most part (most that I noted asked for 1/4 cup), the seasoned vegan probably has subs for these in mind but a new vegan might not. Vegan mayo is called for quite a bit but recipes are included for a home made version, and the recipes look good to me.

This is not a low fat book. It's not necessarily a high fat book either but enough recipes call for mayo that some people might be put out.

I noted a pile of recipes that I'm excited to try. Among those are the tofu bacon (looks crazy tasty and easy), the minestrone (I never get excited for minestrone but this recipe looks lovely), Thai Tom kha coconut soup, no-fish filet sandwiches, banh mi burgers, German potato salad, autumn harvest salad, meatless pies in buttermilk herb biscuits, tandoori tofu, scampi pasta, march of the grenadiers, arroz non pollo, stuffed cabbage, tater tot casserole, brownies and SOFT PRETZELS. The holiday seitan roast with glaze is BEAUTIFUL.

Many (If not most) recipes have pictures. The pages are glossy, the text is mostly black on white. At first the different fonts caught me off guard but then I realized that one text was for ingredients, one for instructions, and one for pre and post recipe notes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:56 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Um yeah, that tofu bacon is A MAZ ING.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:35 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Moon wrote:
. . .
My bigger concern is that sour cream/cream cheese is in more than a handful of recipes. At least it's in small amounts for the most part (most that I noted asked for 1/4 cup), the seasoned vegan probably has subs for these in mind but a new vegan might not. . .

Zsu has already posted the Vegan Sour Cream, and Soy Yogurt recipes on her blog; and said she would be posting the Cream Cheese recipe as well.

http://www.zsusveganpantry.com/2014/06/back-to-basics-vegan-sour-cream.html

http://www.zsusveganpantry.com/2014/05/back-to-basics-homemade-soy-yogurt.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:41 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

gingerlime wrote:
Moon wrote:
. . .
My bigger concern is that sour cream/cream cheese is in more than a handful of recipes. At least it's in small amounts for the most part (most that I noted asked for 1/4 cup), the seasoned vegan probably has subs for these in mind but a new vegan might not. . .

Zsu has already posted the Vegan Sour Cream, and Soy Yogurt recipes on her blog; and said she would be posting the Cream Cheese recipe as well.

http://www.zsusveganpantry.com/2014/06/back-to-basics-vegan-sour-cream.html

http://www.zsusveganpantry.com/2014/05/back-to-basics-homemade-soy-yogurt.html

Good to know! I'll print them out and tuck inside the book.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:39 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Moon, thank you so much for the detailed review of Everyday Vegan Eats. I think you covered all the nuances. And I am so very happy that you were one of the winners!!

I will get on making that cream cheese, now that there is interest. It's been off my radar, unfortunately.

An Unrefined Vegan is hosting a giveaway for Everyday Vegan Eats and is sharing the Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Contest ends Oct. 27.

Cheers,
Zsu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:00 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

My focus has been on IDI for a while now, but am glad to finally be branching out.

Tonight I made the creamy tomato-basil soup and the green goddess primavera salad. The soup was fast and easy to make, inexpensive, and pantry friendly but still complex tasting. Tomato soups get to be too sweet for me sometimes, and this one walks the line nicely. I couldn't get fresh basil which would have been nice but I just added more dried basil to taste. I liked that I didn't have to shell out for cashews or muck around with potatoes to make it creamy.

I had to make the salad winter-friendly by using a couple regular carrots instead of the spring carrots and dropping the asparagus completely. I only got one bowl and Mr Moon destroyed the rest. The dressing was excellent.

A little while ago I made the potato leek soup. It is an extremely simple, basic recipe. The night I made it and tasted it I just thought "meh, it's mild but I can jazz it up tomorrow". The next day the flavours had come together a bit more and it was perfect on a night when I wasn't feeling so great.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:20 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Oh, also wanted to add, the tomato soup only serves six if you are doing starter sized bowls. For dinner sized bowls, I'd say three.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:17 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Made Mama's Hungarian Bean Soup tonight. Another simple but tasty recipe. But wow, it is so rich! The roux base combined with the smokiness is almost too much for me (I'm weird about smoked/smoky flavoured foods) so next time I'd probably lighten up the roux or even skip it entirely. Very different from anything I've ever made, but very pantry friendly if you've always got carrots and celery around.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:39 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Normally anything labelled minestrone is not something I get excited for - I never really enjoyed a minestrone before. But when I got this book I marked the minestrone to make soon since it looked so good in the picture.

So I threw this together Saturday night because I had all the ingredients called for laying around, and it was a good time to use up some stuff that needed using in my fridge. The liquid drained from diced tomatoes from jambalaya a few days ago, the package of baby spinach, some very floppy celery. What bothered me instantly was that the picture of the recipe doesn't match the ingredients at all! So I rolled with it and used pasta instead of rice and mixed beans instead of one kind.

And this was so good!! I was surprised how much I liked it since I've never liked a minestrone before. Would definitely make this again.

The next new recipe I make has to be not soup since I really haven't tried much of anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:01 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Last night I used the braised brussels sprouts recipe from EVE. They're a veg I only learned to like in the last few years and we tend to just steam them. They were so good. It felt like the recipe called for a lot of oil, but the end result was lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:35 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Hi Moon! I am so glad you are trying some of the recipes. I love the feedback you are providing and wanted to address a few of your observations:

Minestrone: You are so right and it really bugs ME when a photo doesn't look like the recipe. When I took the picture of the soup it did call for pasta. During recipe development I found out that rice is the more the authentic starch for this soup and after many renditions of the soup I finally changed it to using rice instead of the pasta. At that point I should have retaken the photo, but, in all honesty, I did not realize that Vegan Heritage Press was going to put so many of the pictures into the book and I thought this would just be omitted. When I saw the complete pdf of the book I was floored! They had used most of the photos I provided (I had originally thought they would just have an insert with around 12 photos, max.) At that point it was too late to reshoot the soup or ask them to remove it. It really bothered me because I knew it would bother others.

Mama's Bean Soup: It is a very rich soup, indeed. I think it harkens back to the good-ol-days when breakfast was eggs fried in lard with a side of bacon and biscuits baked with butter and lard. In other words, traditionally, the masses of people who worked the fields ate very rich foods because they used up all that energy. I made this soup with that tradition in mind because that is how I grew up eating this soup and I strive for authenticity in all my recipes. It was supposed to even contain sausage, but I knew that would be pushing the already pushed boundary. I agree, though, it is very rich. Part of the roux is needed for the soup to thicken up a bit, but to lighten it up you could use half or even a quarter of the roux instead of all of it. Cutting down the barley would help as well. Adding a tablespoon of minced parsley would also give the soup some freshness. Not authentic, but it would definitely help to modernize the soup.

Again, thank you so much for the feedback! If you have any concerns about any of the recipes I can always be reached at zsu (at) zsusveganpantry (dot) com.

Warmly,
Zsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:08 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Zsu, I sort of like that the picture doesn't totally match the recipe, it let me feel more comfortable using subs. I try to follow recipes very closely and am only getting more comfortable using them as a guideline recently. I've made it again since using shell pasta and I love how the little cups hug the beans.

As for my most recent review - the thai thom kha coconut soup. I blanked totally and forgot to get curry paste so when I made it I just used sriracha. Even with that sub this soup is AMAZING and I was really pleasantly surprised at how authentic it tasted. The straw mushrooms were an unusual experience and not something I have a lot of experience with - I don't think I'd go out of my way to find them again (they can't be found locally and I'd have to make a special trip) and I think halved or quartered white mushrooms would be just fine.

Seriously delicious soup and so easy to make.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:28 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Another fan of the minestrone here (actually two, because MrB loved it too!) I also subbed pasta, because the picture looked so good, and I love pasta. Not sure why I didn't test this one, but am glad I finally made it! It's going to be a regular, I think.

I made the Hungarian tomato salad yesterday and was slightly distressed because it was absolutely drowning in dressing. It tasted awesome, but I had to fish the tomatoes and stuff out of a veritable pool of liquidy sour cream in order to eat it. :-/ I thought a cup of water sounded like an awful lot when I started (considering it calls for one tomato and half a cucumber) but I went with it.

On the upside, there was so much dressing left over that I threw a bunch of other random chopped veggies in after we ate the salad. Instant second salad! :-D

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:46 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thanks, Moon! I go with the buttons, myself, but the straw ones are very authentic, especially in restaurants.

TCFP: yes, that is as salad-y as Hungarians get, I'm afraid. Although, that got changed up in the Bowls book :) The dressing is not like an American dressing that coats the greens, but it is more like a pickling liquid. I should have described it that way, instead! Live and learn and rewrite.

Thank you, ladies!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the glazed holiday roast with good success. Nice texture and not rubbery.

I didn't tie mine tight enough so it "ballooned" out making it come out a bit deformed looking.

Still tasty. Used the leftovers for vegan sliders with cream coleslaw!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:24 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Just a quick word to say the glazed holiday roast turned out perfect cooked in the pressure cooker (with cheesecloth and twine). I cooked for 30 minutes on high pressure and then baked/glazed as described!