| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Casseroles by Julie Hasson
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Veggies and Dumplings last night for dinner. So tasty & comforting!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My husband & I made the Eggplant Parm last night. I always make my him do the dredging, flouring, frying thing; it's just too fussy & frustrating for me. It was more time-consuming than I thought & filled the rooms with smoke.

I made the Quick Marinara, subbing dried basil & instead of shredded cheese I used the white Cheesy Sauce variation from the book. It tasted good, but there was so much red sauce, I don't really see much point to sauteing the breaded eggplant. It seems like we could have saved time & not gotten the house as smoky if we'd just had a couple of buttery crumb topping layers. It reminded me of a kind of soupy lasagna.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:32 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Julie is magic. I made the Smoky Corn Quiche and really had low expectations. I'm always skeptical of mostly-tofu recipes and mainly made it because I had all the ingredients in the house. And it turned out that we all loved it. It was really easy to make and tasted great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mollyjade wrote:
Julie is magic.

Quoted for truth!

We had Nacho Tots casserole last night and it was great! I used the last of my soy curls, and it was a good choice. I need to order some more!

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:55 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Nacho tots casserole? How could I have missed this? I was just given a gift card to an online store that carries soy curls, so I know what that gift card will be buying.

This cookbook has the most cozy, comforting foods. I recently made the Shiitake and Green Bean casserole, followed by the Veggies and Dumplings. Both were a huge hit with Mr. Fenice and the leftovers were fabulous for work lunches.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fenice, the soy curls are optional in the tot casserole, I think anything you put on top of regular nachos would work well. We had black beans, soy curls, and scallions. I would have put salsa on top if we'd had any. I had some leftover lentils from the IDI Ancho Lentil Tacos and tossed those on top of the leftovers.

Everything I've made so far has been a hit with M, who is a self-described "simple man." I asked him today if there was anything he fancies for the upcoming week and he said that the Nacho Tot casserole was good and that we should have it again (I agreed, but not back-to-back weeks). Now that it's cold, I'm definitely going to work at least one recipe from this book in each week.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:45 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

If you haven't already, do yourself a favour and make the fully loaded nacho fries. So freaking good.

Mat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've been eating the Mujadara for breakfast. I greased the baking dish, but some still stuck to the bottom. I had to sprinkle water & scrap. Oh well, the rice & lentils cooked perfectly and it just has a little added crunch. I cooked my onions a bit too long so they shrunk too much. The flavor is really nice.

I was supposed to make salad for dinner, but it was cold & rainy & I wanted something comforting & warm. Enter Truffled Cauliflower Mac. I used some brown rice shells that had been languishing in the pantry for quite awhile. I had some porcini oil I had bought locally instead of truffle. When making the sauce, it tasted fab (I used 3 tsp & was out of gran. onion), but the porcini flavor disappeared quite a bit once it was baked. I think I'll try adding sauteed mushrooms to the sauce next time as someone mentioned in the thread. I ran out of butter (!), so I had to cut the Crumb Topping from 2 recipes to 1/2 of 1. It was still pretty delicious. I liked the toothiness of the cauliflower. My husband loved it (but he's a mac 'n cheese fiend).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I keep eyeing that mujadara recipe because I have everything I need for it in the pantry. But I get stuck on what to serve with it. Would just some veggie sides be enough to make it into a dinner? Or does it need something more substantial like pitas and dip?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hmm, good question. I'm stretching it to 6 servings for breakfast and it's a little bit on the light side. I think if you had a veggie or two it would probably be sufficient for 4 dinner servings (depending on your appetite!) Pitas & dip would go great with it, but I think that would definitely be heavier.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made the Bumbleberry Cobbler last night using all frozen blackberries from my Mom's backyard. It was easy to throw together with a really simple and yummy batter.

The top crisped up much more than I thought it would, but it was nice surprise. I would probably use this recipe as my go-to for cobblers from now on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:41 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

bcakes wrote:
I keep eyeing that mujadara recipe because I have everything I need for it in the pantry. But I get stuck on what to serve with it. Would just some veggie sides be enough to make it into a dinner? Or does it need something more substantial like pitas and dip?

When I made it, I served it with steamed broccoli, flat bread and hummus. I loved that dish so much and think about it often. With those sides my husband and I had hefty meals and I got a few breakfast/lunch leftovers as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the Nacho Tots casserole on Halloween evening and topped it with Smoky Curls, fresh tomatoes and green onions. Accompanied with a crisp green salad, it was a divine meal! Unfortunately, the casserole is also really good when eaten by stealthy forkfuls out of the container in the fridge in the wee hours of the morning, too.

And the Smoky Curls! I kept grabbing some every time I passed by the fridge and had to force myself to eat a little fruit instead.

Double win.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Truffled Cauliflower Mac & Cheese for dinner tonight!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:11 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I finally got around to making the mujadara as everyone recommended. It's so easy to make (assuming you have 2 hours for the inactive cooking time) and I couldn't believe how tasty it was given the simplicity of the ingredients. I think it's my favorite thing I've made from the book so far.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:14 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made the Loaded Nacho Fries over the weekend. I used some homemade pepperjack from HVP and it didn't really melt, but that was okay. This was a really fun, filling & easy dish!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just got this for my birthday yesterday. I cannot wait to make something this week!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the Truffled Cauliflower Mac again to take to Thanksgiving and there were some omnis there that had no idea what vegan even meant and they LOVED it - someone asked me what kind of cheese I'd used. Mega win!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:30 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Has anyone made the Welsh Rarebit Casserole? How well does it work to make ahead?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Everything in this book is magical. I wish I could find soy curls!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:23 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Last week I made the Rice & Bean Casserole using a mix of pintos and black beans and the regular cheesy sauce recipe. Simple ingredients that added up to a magical dish! I also made the Salsa Fresca which was delicious on top with some crusted multi-grain tortilla chips.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:30 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We recently made a major purchase, so our grocery budget was extra tight this week. I am so happy that that Florentine Casserole is so pantry friendly and delicious! I didn't have any sherry or wine so I added a little rice vinegar instead and it still tasted great.

I made the Welsh Rarebit Casserole for my side of the family's non-traditional Thanksgiving that we had this past weekend - It was just ok to me. I think part of it could have been the beer I used.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:43 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

We had the jambalaya for dinner. I really liked it, but I'll add red beans and maybe seitan next time to make it more substantial. Even one tablespoon Cajun seasoning was too spicy for my kid, so I need to find a mild Cajun seasoning recipe.

I haven't made so many recipes out of one book since I first went vegan and only had one cookbook.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made the layered polenta and mushrooms for dinner tonight, and it was very good! Definitely a recipe where the whole is more than the sum of the parts, and something I'll make again since everything in it is a pantry staple.

The only thing I'll do differently is to try not to nibble so many of the polenta rounds as they come out of the skillet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:52 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We made the roasted butternut casserole last night. It's got some different flavors than the Isa Does It one, since you keep the butternut in chunks, with big slices of onion & garlic. It was really delicious and perfect paired with sauteed chard. It would be good with sage mixed in as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next