| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Casseroles by Julie Hasson
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was given this book as a holiday gift. There are so many interesting looking casseroles in it! Where do you guys recommend starting?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:53 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

LFL wrote:
I was given this book as a holiday gift. There are so many interesting looking casseroles in it! Where do you guys recommend starting?

Basically everything in the pasta section. Also the chickpea/rice/dill/tahini casserole. And the potatoes gratin. Also the polenta mushroom casserole. The rice/shiitake casserole.

Basically this is the hardest question in history, but I am particularly partial to the pasta casseroles and any of them that use Julie's cashew cream type sauces. The sauces are perfection.

ETA: pale ale stew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:50 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I agree about the pastas.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:55 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i borrowed this book from the library and made quite a few things this past month.

the baby greens with cashew cream is AMAZING. holy crepe yum. im guessing i will end up buying this book at some point but im going to type out that recipe to have until then.
it has miso in the cashew cream sauce and i think that adds and extra layer of deliciousness.

we also really liked the skillet chilaquiles and the creamy rice and dill casserole

i also enjoyed the caramelized onion dip but i think it's the most expensive onion dip ever since it uses 2 cups of raw cashews

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:12 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made the Nacho Mac Casserole - yum!!! I wish I had doubled the recipe. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:54 pm 
BAD PASS

I'm doing the Broccoli Rice Casserole tonight. Well, I plan to. So far I just have the cashews soaking.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm planning to make it too, Hollie. I made the rice and cheezy sauce today, will do the soy curls and broccoli tomorrow. The cheese sauce is good but the oat flour gives a sweetness I don't really care for. I'm excited for the finished product.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:25 am 
BAD PASS

I used regular flour because I only had steel cut oats and figured she only put oat flour in because she doesn't do gluten.

It turned out heavenly. I'm excited that I get to eat it all week long for lunches.

(My Whole Foods said they don't carry Soy Curls and I didn't have time to go to the little health food store I'd gotten them at before, so I used Gardein -- but I know Soy Curls would have made it even better)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:16 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Moon wrote:
LFL wrote:

Basically everything in the pasta section. Also the chickpea/rice/dill/tahini casserole. And the potatoes gratin. Also the polenta mushroom casserole. The rice/shiitake casserole.

Basically this is the hardest question in history, but I am particularly partial to the pasta casseroles and any of them that use Julie's cashew cream type sauces. The sauces are perfection.

ETA: pale ale stew

Her cheese/cream sauces in that book are some of the very best I've ever had! The truffled Mac and cheese is amazing.

Now that the weather is sub-zero here all week I think I'm going to crack that book open and have casserole week at my house!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:44 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Hollie wrote:
I used regular flour because I only had steel cut oats and figured she only put oat flour in because she doesn't do gluten.

I think she's said that oat flour makes a creamier sauce, but other flours work, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:57 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

mollyjade wrote:
Hollie wrote:

I think she's said that oat flour makes a creamier sauce, but other flours work, too.

Yeah, that has been her comment but I think I've only used oat flour once (just by blending up some rolled oats) and otherwise use AP.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm making Broccoli Rice Casserole tomorrow because you've all made it sound so good!

And I definitely have a can of oat flour in my freezer that I made from the ends of a tin of steel cut oats. If you have a high powered blender it's a cinch.

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I know I am likely preaching to the choir, but I got this cookbook recently and made the spinach florentine and it was super awesome. I added some chickpeas because I didn't have enough pasta. Also skipped the sherry since I had none. Delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:02 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

saveur wrote:
I know I am likely preaching to the choir, but I got this cookbook recently and made the spinach florentine and it was super awesome. I added some chickpeas because I didn't have enough pasta. Also skipped the sherry since I had none. Delicious!

That's a great idea, adding chickpeas to it. I think the next time I make it I will do some sort of chik'n style add in, like gardein cutlets or soy curls.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I've never cooked with tvp before but I'll be buying it again to make the taco casserole. I topped it with crushed baked chips, lettuce, my homemade salsa and some tofutti sour cream. That was hearty and filling on a super cold night and not too bad to assemble. Her spices were spot on too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:37 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Now that we have had sub zero temps or wind chills for a week and will continue for another I've been cooking out of this book exclusively. I've also made the chickpea, rice, dill and tomato casserole which was fabulous. Like a dilly falafel covered in tahini sauce. Then I also made the smoky soy curls to put on baked potatoes. Holy crepe why have I never made those before? I could just eat them by the handful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:15 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Veggies and dumplings are amazing! I skipped the onion since I have not been liking diced onion lately for whatever reason and then added the dehydrated soy curls right into the stew with the peas and broccoli. This was delicious and my hubby requested I make it at least every other week until spring.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Question: In the Roasted Butternut Squash Casserole, it says to use "peeled and cubed" squash, but doesn't specify the size of the cubes. What size would you cube them?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:25 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

LFL wrote:
Question: In the Roasted Butternut Squash Casserole, it says to use "peeled and cubed" squash, but doesn't specify the size of the cubes. What size would you cube them?

Hi LFL! I just popped in and saw your question. I should have included the size in the recipe. I think the chunks should be about 3/4-inch in size. You want them to be bite size after they are roasted. But too tiny and they will mush. I hope that helps!

Julie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:43 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Lurked this thread pre-lunch yesterday and immediately had to order myself a copy of this. I cannot wait to make the broccoli and rice casserole. Also pretty excited for the creamy sauce recipes in general. I love oat flour for baking but never thought to use it in sauces!

Also don't forget to check your moles nightly to make sure they aren't devil's teats. - Erika Soyf*cker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

cupcake wrote:
LFL wrote:

Hi LFL! I just popped in and saw your question. I should have included the size in the recipe. I think the chunks should be about 3/4-inch in size. You want them to be bite size after they are roasted. But too tiny and they will mush. I hope that helps!

Julie

Thank you, Julie!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:15 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I've got the butternut mac and (an adapted) truffled mac and cauliflower (no truffle oil and I added broccoli and peas). Roasted a head of garlic in olive oil and drizzled that all the top of the bread crumb topping. I'm going to freeze them tonight but not before taste testing. Hoping to update with pictures later!

Also don't forget to check your moles nightly to make sure they aren't devil's teats. - Erika Soyf*cker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:26 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

And the butternut mac is amazing!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:34 pm 

I am cooking fun stuff for my parents on Sundays. I gave my mom the choice between a casserole from BICNGV and the Boozy casserole from.this book. She got all excited about this one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:54 pm 

Ok the Boozy Penne was a huge hit! I followed the recipe exactly. My mom had 2 helpings and had to stop herself from tagging a 3rd. She kept saying how warming and comforting it was, as we watched the snow fall. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next