| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Salad Samurai
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:10 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I feel like I'm pretty good at managing my time in the kitchen. Maybe last night's actually went quicker than the time before because I made sure to make all those little components first, then just the chopped up stuff for the bulk of the salad. I did make the dressings very first, though, just to get them out of the way. The baked components (sweet potato, pecans, coconut) were still done way sooner than anything else.

I'm also just super tired these days, so I'm probably moving kind of slow. I have found that it's worth the effort to make it all and then have lovely salads for days with no effort, like lavawitch said. I do all the stuff that won't make lettuce (or whatever the base is) slimy/gross in one huge bowl that I can just grab out of, then things like tempeh/tofu, nuts, croutons are packaged separately. Then I just make one salad out of all of it in the mornings, starting with the dressing on the bottom of my container so it doesn't make things slimy by the time I'm eating it.

Pretty pumped to try out the nicoise today! I don't have a bento set, so I'm just going to pack it up like a regular salad.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:13 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

my book should be arriving on monday!!! so excited by this thread, i want to try them all :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:23 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm ok with the salads taking a little longer to make, especially if they're full meals!

Planning to make the BBQ Tempeh & Dilly Slaw Bowl with IDI cornbread muffins for dinner for the BF and I this Friday. I made a shopping list and only needed $8 worth of stuff to complete the salad. Not bad!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:08 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Regarding the time, yes, I can see how some of the salads would take a long time. I use creep's method of basically timing my planning of components. I'll also make some of the individual components separately on the weekend while i'm doing other things. ie: press tofu, interwebz and drink coffee. Put tofu in marinade, walk the dogs. Put tofu in oven, do the weekly cleaning.

Had the coconut samosa salad yesterday. Familiar flavor profile for me, as I love indian food, but it was really good. I cut down on some of the potato and added some add'l veggies, and it was definitely a keeper. And sooo filling.

Everybody is making me excited to try those sriracha smoked pecans now....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:30 am 
Married to the wolfman

emmalv wrote:
Had the coconut samosa salad yesterday.

Whaaaaat. I didn't even see this... now I have to look it up. That sounds awesome.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:53 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

True story.

I was about to bake a batch of 70's tofu when my preheating oven smelled a bit off. boring story even more boring, I broiled a mouse that was on top of the reflector plate and there was a nest on the bottom of the oven. It was so devastating! My co-workers delight in this story of animal sacrifice for a batch of tofu. It was an awful night for me.

Oh, and now my oven doesn't work after my husband cleaned it. And so many of these recipes needs the use of an oven. Which to me is ironic for a salad book!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

Marzipan wrote:
True story.

I was about to bake a batch of 70's tofu when my preheating oven smelled a bit off. boring story even more boring, I broiled a mouse that was on top of the reflector plate and there was a nest on the bottom of the oven. It was so devastating! My co-workers delight in this story of animal sacrifice for a batch of tofu. It was an awful night for me.

Oh, and now my oven doesn't work after my husband cleaned it. And so many of these recipes needs the use of an oven. Which to me is ironic for a salad book!

I am sorry but this is just too funny!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:06 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Marzipan wrote:
True story.

Oh, god, this is terrible. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I would have been bawling.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

saveur wrote:
Marzipan wrote:
True story.

I am sorry but this is just too funny!

Why is cooking a live animal funny? You know where you are, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:13 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Whoa. I would have a hard time using that oven after that!

I mean I would of course, I am not a baller that can just buy a new oven...but I would be super grossed out and sad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:30 pm 
Nailed to the V

the east west salad is delicious.
(i had to pick out tomatoes. how can i love tomatoes cooked (hmm soup) or saucey (hmm ketchup) but not raw? i simply can not do it. they are evil).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:33 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

daisysunshine wrote:
(i had to pick out tomatoes. how can i love tomatoes cooked (hmm soup) or saucey (hmm ketchup) but not raw? i simply can not do it. they are evil).

what is in the east west salad? my copy doesn't arrive until next week!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:15 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

gooberific wrote:
daisysunshine wrote:

Lemongrass tofu, roasted corn, cherry tomatoes, scallions, basil, cilantro, lime, coconut, sriracha, ranch dressing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

crazynut wrote:
gooberific wrote:
daisysunshine wrote:

Lemongrass tofu, roasted corn, cherry tomatoes, scallions, basil, cilantro, lime, coconut, sriracha, ranch dressing.

which is yummy in mah belly. i forgot to do the coconut.
we didn't have lemongrass so we used lemon and herb seasoning and it was still very good. we used veganaise instead of the ranch dressing too. just reading the whole thread - this came together for me, i roasted the corn in the oven, did all the herb-y bits and dressing, pulled the corn, to let it cool, popped the tofu in shucked the corn mixed and yummo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:44 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I don't have this book yet. But I am already all about turning my fridge into a salad bar each week. So I have a few thoughts, suggestions, and questions.
Does the book tell you approximately how long each recipe takes to make so you can figure out which ones you have time to quickly make before you fall asleep on your feet after a busy day and which ones to save for slaving over all weekend to impress important company? Or at least some sort of time icon?
I'm thinking some of the ingredients, such as the BBQ tempeh and sriracha pecans might freeze well in which case it would probably be almost no more trouble to make a double batch and have some to pull out to save time at a later point.
Sometimes it's ok to "cheat" and use a store bought pre washed and chopped salad or slaw mix to use as the base of your salad. Same goes for using a store bought salad dressing.
If you want to make a complicated salad, it might be worth planning to build it over the week. Maybe make a huge batch of one component and save some of it for the salad but use it on day one to make sandwiches. Then on day two make a second component and use that as a marinade or sauce for something else, but reserve enough for the planned salad. Etc. And then after a few days you have all the components ready to go for the planned salad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:38 am 
Nooch of Earl

Oh man, sorry Marzipan. I can't imagine discovering that. Part of me would be packing up my things to move to a new house. Ugh.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:17 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Rhiz O -

Yes there are approximate times for each recipe. I would say most of them are about 45 minutes, there are some that are more, and some that are less, but just flipping through to get an idea for you, that's probably the most popular estimate. Terry does suggest a game plan at some point in the early pages of the book for getting through the week.

I agree that it's ok to "cheat" with a pre-packaged salad mix or other appropriate item! I pretty much exclusively buy the big tubs of spring mix and use that for my leafies in a green salad, as I'm not too keen on arugula or spinach.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:20 am 
Married to the wolfman

Marzi, that's horrifying about the mouse.

I'm on my third and final lunch from the summer soba salad today! It continues to be good, despite the dressing mishap at the beginning.

Next week I'm thinking about making something with kale for work lunches because I have a bunch of CSA kale that didn't get used this week and no one else in my house is as into kale as I am. Favorite kale-inclusive recipes from SS so far? The BKT? Anything else?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:28 am 
Tofu Pup

The Grilled Kale Salad with Spicy Lentils is absolutely wonderful!! Made it twice already.
I did like the BKT, but it wasn't love - probably because I'm not a huge tempeh-lover and also because it was a little too sweet for my taste. But I will try it again with tofu instead of tempeh.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The sriacha pecans are sooooo good. Holy cow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

creep wrote:
I made the deviled kale caesar salad last night, and it was great. Even making everything the day of, it came together quickly, but it would've been almost instant if I'd already had the croutons and pickled onions ready. The serving size says 2-3, but it's definitely only 2 unless it's a side salad. We split it into 2 and had baked tofu with it, and it was just enough food.

I noticed after eating that the description mentions smoked paprika, but the ingredients say sweet paprika and hot paprika, so I might sub out some of the sweet for smoked next time, since smoked paprika is one of my favorite flavors.

More kudos for this salad! The complexity of flavors and textures is just FABULOUS. It's something I'd NEVER have thought to put together - yet I had nearly all the ingredients (and usually do) - which is what makes this book so enticing to me.

My make-do subs were:
sweet yellow onion replacing red onion
kale-spinach pre-washed mix instead of straight kale
smoked paprika + cayenne instead of sweet/hot paprikas
Wheat Thin shards in lieu of the croutons/flatbread

I found it pretty darn Caesar-y, which may have been high-lighted by the pickled sweet yellow onion replacement, obviously a different contribution than pickled red onion would be. I was worried the sweet yellow onion would be too much/too harsh, but it mellowed out wonderfully in the pickling liquid, and adds a really nice burst of flavor. With a mouthful of all the components, it really has that Caesar vibe to it. Dijon is key! I had an old jar I haven't touched in ages, with just the tablespoon needed! This recipe will give me a reason to buy a new jar.

In light of all the accolades, I tossed in sliced 70s Tofu with it (pressed while I was making the dressing and onions, baked while they were chilling in the fridge). Delicioso! Love it all tossed together.

Can't wait to have this for lunch tomorrow. I think this would be a great salad to serve for someone who is open-minded about plant-based eating - and who loves them some garlic (my breath shall be reeking tonite, without question).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Time to review my salads for the week!

Bento Box Nicoise - I don't have a bento box, so I just ate this all together instead of as individual components. I haven't tossed in the avocado mix yet because my avocado was unripe until this afternoon, but I'll be trying it tomorrow. I really like all of the stuff together! I wasn't crazy about the chickpeas alone (I didn't add any creamy element to mine because I didn't have any), and thought they were way too salty (same for the avocado 'egg' salad that I made today), but all together it's good. The lettuce cuts a lot of the saltiness of everything. The chia seeds in the dressing are kind of weird to me, so I'll probably zip any future chia seed dressings in my Ninja so they aren't so...individual. All in all a really good salad with lots of fun components that I don't normally use in salads. (Admittedly the reason this one took so long to make was probably because of all the separate preparations, more than most recipes.) I really like the coconut bacon! I've made it before with a different recipe, and this one is better.

Can't remember the proper name, but the collard salad with roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, and sriracha pecans - Way better than I expected. I was worried that it would be a little too boring with that same old smoky/sweet potato/black bean flavor, but I really like how different it seems as a cold salad! The dressing is tangy and citrus-y without having an overpowering orange flavor. I couldn't deal with the raw collards, so I lightly steamed and then chilled mine. Such a simple and tasty recipe.

And I forgot that last week I made the green curry quinoa/lentil salad with my friend. We both really liked it. I was worried I wouldn't since a couple of people have been dissatisfied, but the lack of a creamy factor didn't bother me. We used canned pineapple so that we could have the juice/chunks without buying two separate ingredients, and that worked just fine. I did think there was way too much liquid for cooking the quinoa (I usually do a 1:1 quinoa:water ratio), so I had to take off the lid and simmer off the rest of the liquid once the quinoa had cooked. No big deal. It was nice and light, but still filling, and it made a ton!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:14 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Marzipan wrote:
True story.

Awful! I must confess, I check the oven before I turn it on because I dread this kind of thing happening.

Meanwhile, I just got the kindle version of this book yesterday and can't wait to try some of the recipes. Love salads so much!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

creep wrote:
Yeah, I'm not really sure what made the deviled kale caesar salad "caesar" either. It was really good, but it wasn't briney like caesar salad.

VeganVamp wrote:
With a mouthful of all the components, it really has that Caesar vibe to it. Dijon is key! I had an old jar I haven't touched in ages, with just the tablespoon needed! This recipe will give me a reason to buy a new jar.

Chiming in again, after enjoying my fabulous leftovers for lunch today: As I poured the dressing onto the greens, I swiped a taste - and it indeed was brine-y, before adding the pickled onion topping - so I think the Caesar part is directly related to the Dijon, and it appears to have *noticeably* intensified with its refrigeration/co-mingling overnight. May be a consideration for those who don't find it quite Caesar-y enough when consumed the same day it's prepared.

Darn, I'm sad to see this bowl empty. I thought it was really good last night, but I'm positively in love with the salad today. <swoon> Fancy those makeshift Wheat Thin croutons, too - the sweetness perfectly accents the tangy dressing and onions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:16 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I am so tempted to get this book, but I have a few questions:
Do a lot of the recipes call for a lot of oil? Like more than a tbsp or two? And do a lot of the recipes call for raw garlic?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next