| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:15 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Miss Mandy, you've got yourself a new follower!

I made the cauliflower pesto soup last night. I was really looking forward to it as a potentially faster version of the gnocchi pesto soup from IDI and we did enjoy it... but I'll stick to Isa's version. To be fair, I only blended it with my immersion blender and I didn't really commit to the blend. So maybe it would have been better had I gotten a smoother consistency.

I have to remember that Chloe's soup recipes are basically always appetizers and never come out with the four true servings I expect. I always make them in a pot that is too big and then I kick myself.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:10 am 
Huffs Nooch

Moon wrote:
Miss Mandy, you've got yourself a new follower!

I made the cauliflower pesto soup last night. I was really looking forward to it as a potentially faster version of the gnocchi pesto soup from IDI and we did enjoy it... but I'll stick to Isa's version. To be fair, I only blended it with my immersion blender and I didn't really commit to the blend. So maybe it would have been better had I gotten a smoother consistency.

I have to remember that Chloe's soup recipes are basically always appetizers and never come out with the four true servings I expect. I always make them in a pot that is too big and then I kick myself.

Thanks Moon! That soup looks good too. I will have to give that one a try. I'm trying to use this book more. Though, I love that gnocchi pesto soup from IDI. A fav in our house.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The ebook editions of all three of Chloe's cookbooks are on sale today on Amazon! $4.49 for Chloe's Kitchen, and $3.99 each for Chloe's Vegan Desserts and Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Staggering away from the dinner table to write this post: We had the Mushroom Pesto sliders for dinner (two with little ciabatta buns; 2 with just the toppings). These are so flavourful and so rich and full of umami. Perhaps a little too oily/rich for an everyday dinner but for a special treat: yes, yes, yes! I also made the Summer Bread Salad last week and we really enjoyed that, too. I didn't think it was enough for a main course, so I fried some fingers of polenta and added a side of chickpeas with chilli oil and it made a fabulous meal: perfect for the end of a warm summer day. I also made the Wild Mushroom Pizza again last week and used all regular white mushrooms and it turned out really well. With that toothsome mozza sauce and the chopped garlic and chilli oil, I didn't miss the wild mushrooms. Now I have to go waddle around the block (while licking my lips).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:03 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I made that wild mushroom pizza the other day too--it was lovely!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:05 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I bought this eBook on sale at Amazon based on all the yummy things I was reading about in this thread. Made the apple cake, and it was as amazing as everyone has said. But I tried making the Mac and cheese with pesto and it did not go over well with my kid, who usually loves all varieties of Mac and cheese. I wasn't crazy about it either. What other recipes have you tried with omnis that have been successful? I'm trying to move my whole family in a more plant based direction, but when things taste too unrecognizable I lose them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rachelita wrote:
I bought this eBook on sale at Amazon based on all the yummy things I was reading about in this thread. Made the apple cake, and it was as amazing as everyone has said. But I tried making the Mac and cheese with pesto and it did not go over well with my kid, who usually loves all varieties of Mac and cheese. I wasn't crazy about it either. What other recipes have you tried with omnis that have been successful? I'm trying to move my whole family in a more plant based direction, but when things taste too unrecognizable I lose them.

I don't know if it would appeal to your kids or not, but my husband and I love the Avocado Caprese pasta salad, and the Bowties in Garlic Cream Sauce are so good!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:54 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I will try those! Both look pretty omni friendly. I just struggle when I make a recipe that says it tastes "just like" something else that I end up disappointing everyone. Kind of like the comment earlier in the thread that the tiramisu, while delicious, didn't taste quite like tiramisu.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:26 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

rachelita wrote:
I will try those! Both look pretty omni friendly. I just struggle when I make a recipe that says it tastes "just like" something else that I end up disappointing everyone. Kind of like the comment earlier in the thread that the tiramisu, while delicious, didn't taste quite like tiramisu.

If you are trying to get your family on board I would avoid any recipe that is supposed to recreate an omni dish. I love the pasta in garlic cream sauce with mushrooms and sundried tomatoes from this book. Delicious but not trying to be anything it's not.

You can also slightly change the names of things you're making so no one is expecting something they're not getting. We really loved the white bean, spinach and butternut squash pizza but you could get away with calling it a "flatbread" or "tart" if it is too far off from what your family thinks of as pizza.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:29 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Oooh, good tip on the "flatbread"! I won't call it pizza if that is going to change their expectations. I love all those flavors too, so I will try making it soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:23 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My husband made the fusilli with minted eggplant sauce the other day. I remembered too late to tell him to cut down on the salt, so it was way too salty for my taste, but underneath it that I could tell it was pretty darn good!

You can tell why there is no photo in the book:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHXgGP-A4Ig/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:30 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

With some reservations, I made the Easy Eggplant Caponata. It was going to be part of an appy platter, so I thought if it didn't turn out I had plenty of other bites for people to have. Well, this was delicious and got almost completely scraped out of the bowl. I thought it might be too sweet or weirdly minty, but it was delicious. I also made the garlic breadsticks and they were very simple to make. (I chucked the baking sheet into the fridge, as I started them early in the morning for baking later in the evening.) I liked the topping of marg, garlic powder, and oregano, but I over-brushed the finished breadsticks and they were a bit too oily, I thought. Didn't stop everyone else from finishing them off, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:04 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I got this book for my birthday a few weeks back. So far I've made the orange chocolate chip scones and the spaghetti and meatballs - both of them were absolutely delicious!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:47 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Made the crumbled sausage mozzarella pizza last night, and added caramelized red onions and a bit of leftover rockin' ricotta.

This pizza is amazing. Just awesome. The mushroom/walnut sausage is fine. The mozzarella sauce is fine. Together they're just outstanding.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:25 am 

I love that mozza sauce on the wild mushroom pizza. I think I'll make that sausage one for my roommate next week.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:52 am 

I made the lasagna bolognese last night and I ate it for breakfast this morning. It's so simple and good.

Bought the ingredients for that Kate Middleton thing.

Still blown away by all the hits from this book.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:16 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Does anyone in the US have a go-to no boil lasagna noodle brand? Every kind I've ever seen in the store has eggs, but this book and one of my other ones both call for them. (I know I can use dried but no boil sounds convenient!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Pinko wrote:
Does anyone in the US have a go-to no boil lasagna noodle brand? Every kind I've ever seen in the store has eggs, but this book and one of my other ones both call for them. (I know I can use dried but no boil sounds convenient!)

I think this question is more likely to be answered if you make a separate topic in the Food & Cooking forum. I hope you do, since I would love to know the answer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:16 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

LFL wrote:
Pinko wrote:

I think this question is more likely to be answered if you make a separate topic in the Food & Cooking forum. I hope you do, since I would love to know the answer.

I am surprised Americans have this problem. A lot of readily available brands here seem to have egg-free oven-ready lasagna noodles.

Since I can't speak to what brands you guys may have, I can say the store brand Walmart oven-ready noodles are egg free in Canada. Checking that would involve stepping into a walmart which I know a lot of PPKers don't like doing, but it could be worth a shot?

FWIW, I don't love giving Walmart my money but my local store is literally down the road and a better solution for me when I have anxiety so occasionally they get my money.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:30 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Since we're still getting summer produce in our CSA, I made the Farmer's market panini the other night. https://www.instagram.com/p/BLH29-igoMV/

We sliced the eggplant very thin, but it was still pretty tough on the sandwich the first night. I've had a lot of white bean spreads and this one was one of the best. It was super thick & fluffy and garlicky. I cut the oil down to 1.5 tbsp and cut the salt to 1/2 tsp.

Last night the leftovers were even better. It was our most successful sandwich pressing to date as well using the combo of cast iron grill & grill press.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

(Deleted)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:38 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I made Shelly's Shells last night and it was great! My insanely picky omni husband loved it! He said it was the best dinner in a long time. Uhh, thanks? In my defense I have a 7 month old baby so I havent spent a lot of time cooking. This recipe was really easy. I added Tofurky Italian Sausages to bulk it up a bit and instead of olive oil to finish the pasta, I used earth balance because my husband likes butter. Anyway, make Shelly's Shells It's yummy and easy!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=24501886[url][/url]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13