| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:45 pm 
Huffs Nooch

masuphl333 wrote:
My dad has requested the spicy tomato soup every week for about 2 months now. He can't get enough of it. I don't even eat it, I make it and give it all to him. He doesn't even need the croutons. I use much less salt and oil than the recipe calls for, and I use light coconut milk. He said that he likes the consistency of it because it's filling without being chunky. His health is bad and he's trying so hard to eat well. So sending this soup to him makes me feel like I am really helping. And it's so easy.

That is so awesome! Good for you and for your dad!
I was just eyeing that one but was waiting since it used canned tomatoes. Still trying to use up the fresh ones I have.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:26 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

MissMandy wrote:
masuphl333 wrote:
My dad has requested the spicy tomato soup every week for about 2 months now. He can't get enough of it. I don't even eat it, I make it and give it all to him. He doesn't even need the croutons. I use much less salt and oil than the recipe calls for, and I use light coconut milk. He said that he likes the consistency of it because it's filling without being chunky. His health is bad and he's trying so hard to eat well. So sending this soup to him makes me feel like I am really helping. And it's so easy.

I was just eyeing that one but was waiting since it used canned tomatoes. Still trying to use up the fresh ones I have.

Thanks! I have been using fresh tomatoes to make Red Hot BLTs from IDI and other sandwiches for my mom. I am a busy daughter!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Tempeh with 40 cloves of garlic -- bliss! I cut back on the stock and simmered it with white wine before adding the stock and it was so delicious. I also brown the garlic and tempeh in two separate skillets and give the garlic a little more time so the garlic is lusciously soft at the end.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:00 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

MissMandy wrote:
masuphl333 wrote:

Oh my goodness, use fresh! It'll only be better!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:55 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm planning on making the butternut lasagne tonight! I think I'm going to use almonds rather than cashews since I always use cashews. I'm going to double the recipe so we have leftovers for days!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:00 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

vowlry wrote:
I'm planning on making the butternut lasagne tonight! I think I'm going to use almonds rather than cashews since I always use cashews. I'm going to double the recipe so we have leftovers for days!

This recipe alone is worth the price of the book!! Love it!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:46 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

jc4 wrote:
vowlry wrote:

This recipe alone is worth the price of the book!! Love it!!

That's semi-unfortunate, because the recipe is online, too! :)
http://chefchloe.com/entrees/white-lasa ... inach.html

I've had so much success with all the recipes I've tried so far. Now that it's I want to try the spicy tomato soup--it sounds yummy!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

masuphl333 - thanks for the post about the spicy tomato soup! I made the recipe last night and we LOVED it! And it's so easy! Thank you thank you thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:32 pm 

quagga wrote:
masuphl333 - thanks for the post about the spicy tomato soup! I made the recipe last night and we LOVED it! And it's so easy! Thank you thank you thank you.

I just saw this message now. :D You're so welcome! I can't say enough about this soup!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:44 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the Wild Mushroom Pizza yesterday as it seemed like the perfect, puttering around the house, recipe. The pizza dough was wildly active. I wrapped it in plastic and tucked it into the fridge, then when I looked next, a blob of dough had squeeeeeezed its way out of the plastic wrap. I wrapped another piece of plastic around it, put it back in the fridge, and yes, the next time I looked, another blog of dough has squeeeeezed its way out of another section of the plastic wrap. I managed to corral the dough with a third piece of plastic wrap.

I used a combination of white mushrooms (which Chloe suggests) as the "spread" part, then sautéed shiitakes on top. That combination, with the sprinkling of raw garlic underneath and the slightly garlic-y, tangy mozza sauce on top was fantastic. Especially with the lashings of chili oil to give an extra spark. Mr. Fenice, who is normally a well-controlled, moderate eater, was tackling that pizza like it was his job. We have a sad little amount as leftovers, but I'm pretty sure there's going to be some swift maneuvering at the dinner table tonight, with both of us trying to get our share of leftovers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

fenice wrote:
Made the Wild Mushroom Pizza yesterday as it seemed like the perfect, puttering around the house, recipe. The pizza dough was wildly active. I wrapped it in plastic and tucked it into the fridge, then when I looked next, a blob of dough had squeeeeeezed its way out of the plastic wrap. I wrapped another piece of plastic around it, put it back in the fridge, and yes, the next time I looked, another blog of dough has squeeeeezed its way out of another section of the plastic wrap. I managed to corral the dough with a third piece of plastic wrap.

Ha same thing happened to me this week! I read somewhere that it might be because not all the air was squeezed out in the kneading process.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:31 pm 

I made the Hummus Pomodoro with warm pizza crust for Christmas Eve. It was delicious and so easy to throw together! But next time I will wait until the last minute to add the tomato/basil/balsamic vinegar.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made the lasagne with red sauce tonight for the first time and it was delicious. I subbed beyond meat beef crumbles for the seitan and that was okay. It was the best lasagne I have ever made and I have tried a few different recipes. Also the roasted cauliflower which was amazing and the pizza dough appetizer (had to make this twice because the first batch disappeared very quickly).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:00 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made the butternut squash lasagna for Christmas Eve and it was really good. Lasagna is always fussy to make, but I thought it was easy to make as lasagnas go. Most of the components (sauce, ricotta, squash) were made primarily in the food processor or blender, which always makes quick work of things. The sweet squash, creamy sauce and herb-y ricotta were a very nice combination.

We're probably lasagna-ed out for the time being, but I will definitely be trying the red sauce lasagna at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:54 am 

Butternut wrote:
I made the lasagne with red sauce tonight for the first time and it was delicious. I subbed beyond meat beef crumbles for the seitan and that was okay. It was the best lasagne I have ever made and I have tried a few different recipes. Also the roasted cauliflower which was amazing and the pizza dough appetizer (had to make this twice because the first batch disappeared very quickly).

I want to make this on Sunday. But I can't decide if I want to make the sauce or buy jarred sauce. I wouldn't know which jarred sauce to get. Can you tell me which brand you used?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:38 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I got this for Xmas! Hurray! Looks fab...
I made Baked Tempeh in Mushroom Cream Sauce which was lovely. I think next time I might bake it with spinach or broccoli in the sauce.
I also made the Tuscan Tofu Scramble which was good but not as good as my usual go to scramble recipe. Nice for a change though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

masuphl333 wrote:
Butternut wrote:

I want to make this on Sunday. But I can't decide if I want to make the sauce or buy jarred sauce. I wouldn't know which jarred sauce to get. Can you tell me which brand you used?

Sorry this is probably too late. I used the 365 marinara sauce from whole foods. I think it would be good with any sauce you like. I was pressed for time so jarred was a quick option for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:50 am 

Butternut wrote:
masuphl333 wrote:
Butternut wrote:

Sorry this is probably too late. I used the 365 marinara sauce from whole foods. I think it would be good with any sauce you like. I was pressed for time so jarred was a quick option for me.

Thanks! I decided to make the Mama's Marinara from AFR. And I made Nut Ricotta from Kathy Hester's slow cooker for 1 or 2 book. Everything came together so easy and it was a hit with my parents!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:06 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I made the tempeh mushroom bake but I added truffle oil because it seemed like a good call. And it was. And I have to remember that Chloe has the same salt taste as me (LOTS) because in almost every recipe I make ever other than hers I add extra salt!

Also made the gremolata potatoes but I changed the gremolata to make it more spicy than herby (and I didn't have parsley). Still good.

Continue to be impressed by this book. It has filled a niche for my husband loving Italian food and me never wanting to cook it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:08 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I didn't think that I would like the shiitake bacon as much as I would. I questioned her salt and pepper quantities, but they came out great. I seriously ate half of them right off of the pan.

The cashew garlic cream sauce (that is supposed to go over the bowties) is amazing! So simple but so so good.

Her long marinara version was fine. Nothing amazing, but not bad either. A little sweet for me, would leave the maple out next time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:42 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vijita wrote:
And I have to remember that Chloe has the same salt taste as me (LOTS) because in almost every recipe I make ever other than hers I add extra salt!

YES! I am addicted to salt and extra flavor currently and I always have to add so much to my food. I noticed the first time I made one of her recipes that she is a salt lover. We had company over at the time, and it might have been too salty for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Eggplant Parm again and it's just sooooo good. The mozz sauce is almost too rich for me. I used a pricey jar of marinara and didn't want to change it by adding the onions and brown sugar. Would that have made the dish lighter? I don't know but I'm not complaining. Excited for leftovers today.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My husband & I made the Butternut Pecan Ravioli over the weekend. We've used the ravioli dough before. It's very easy to work with. I pureed the filling a bit too much. I cut the oil & butter down for the sauce, as it was really oily enough. I don't really like sauces like that, much preferring a tomato one, but I wanted to try it. The dish was tasty and not nearly as sweet as I expected.

We also made the Roasted Banana Bourbon ice cream, which turned out very nice indeed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:05 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Zula wrote:
My husband & I made the Butternut Pecan Ravioli over the weekend. We've used the ravioli dough before. It's very easy to work with. I pureed the filling a bit too much. I cut the oil & butter down for the sauce, as it was really oily enough. I don't really like sauces like that, much preferring a tomato one, but I wanted to try it. The dish was tasty and not nearly as sweet as I expected.

We also made the Roasted Banana Bourbon ice cream, which turned out very nice indeed!

I haven't ventured into Vegan ice creams much yet, but Chloe's look so good. I tried one from a blog online and the texture was fine right out of the ice cream maker, but once I froze it I didn't like the texture.

Last edited by petermares on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

petermares wrote:
Zula wrote:

I haven't ventured into Vegan ice creams much yet, but Chloe's look so good. I tried one and the texture was fine right out of the ice cream maker, but once I froze it I didn't like the texture.

It was super-smooth & lovely a few hours after mixing in the ice cream maker & quite a bit harder after a night in the freezer. I'm used to banana soft serve though, so it was a surprising, but refreshing change of texture.

This was my first time making a vegan ice cream really. After years of thinking my maker was broken, I got a new fridge/freezer & it turns out it still works fine; the bowl just wasn't getting cold enough! It's exciting, but dangerous. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next