| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:59 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:31 pm
Posts: 359
Location: Seattle, WA
I made the pasta carbonara with shiitake bacon tonight. So damn good! I don't know why I waited so long. I always thought the shiitake bacon sounded good, but the cream sauce seemed too simple to me. I thought it would taste like tofu. But it was absolutely delicious. I am also a very slow cooker and this came together in less than an hour for me. Super easy. So I will definitely be making this regularly!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:34 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 1364
Location: Bull City, NC
I made the bowties with garlic cream sauce. Delicious! I haven't cooked much from this book, I think mostly because I ordered a used copy online and it ended up being a galley copy with no index, etc. Definitely have to make more things--I think the pesto mac is next in the queue.

Minor changes:
-Used king oyster mushrooms because I had some I didn't think were going to last much longer
-Soaked the sundried tomatoes separately instead of adding them to the pasta water
-spaghetti instead of bowties because I didn't feel like going to the store


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:50 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:38 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Ontario, Canada
I made the butternut lasagna last night - big success! Even more fun, I didn't have to chop and bake the squash - I used frozen cubes. I just steamed them up and then blended. I can't imagine fresh would have tasted much different.

_________________
Instagram : tofupowered (food pics)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:56 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 pm
Posts: 1061
Zula wrote:
This was my first time making a vegan ice cream really. After years of thinking my maker was broken, I got a new fridge/freezer & it turns out it still works fine; the bowl just wasn't getting cold enough! It's exciting, but dangerous. ;)


Hah! I'm glad you solved your ice cream maker deficiency issue!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:46 pm 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:27 pm
Posts: 59
My mom wants me to teach her to cook vegan stuff, so we made the mushroom pizza for her and my dad. I only tried the mozzarella sauce. My dad just told me he LOVED it. And....my mom and I had so much fun making it. She was like a little kid, it was a craft or something. So cute. We made one for her and then she took the ingredients home to make the rest for him today. They just love Chloe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:46 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:02 pm
Posts: 290
masuphl333 wrote:
They just love Chloe.


Join the club :)! Her first book was one of the first vegan cookbooks I ever got and I've used it the most! I recommend it to anyone, but especially people exploring vegan cuisine! Glad for you that your parents are so enthusiastic!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:12 am 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:27 pm
Posts: 59
Stella wrote:
masuphl333 wrote:
They just love Chloe.


Join the club :)! Her first book was one of the first vegan cookbooks I ever got and I've used it the most! I recommend it to anyone, but especially people exploring vegan cuisine! Glad for you that your parents are so enthusiastic!


Thanks! It's making me very happy!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:25 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup Forever

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:52 pm
Posts: 19
I bought this book over a year ago, and am loving it so far! I don't have it on hand right now (my father borrowed it) but I've made:

Italian Quesedillas - Liked them! The idea of mashing beans as a quesedilla filling was genius, and it held together very well
Spicy Tomato Soup - Amazing!!! So easy to make! My sister loves it as well (without the peppers) and I often make it as a starter for when guests are coming over: everybody loves it! They don't sell canned roasted tomatoes here, but it is delicious nontheless.
Pasta carbonara - Also delicious, the shiitake bacon didn't work out for me, but that might have something to do with the fact that I reduced the amount of oil used heavily. Last time I sautéed a zucchini and added the sauce, that was a nice variation!
It is best when eaten immediately, though, it dries out very quickly.
Bowties with garlic-cream sauce and sundried tomatoes - My father's favorite! He keeps requesting it! I use quite a lot of fresh parsley and black pepper.
Italian meatloaf - great flavours, but it did fall apart when cutting, may have something to do with the amount of broth I added, my rice was pretty soggy as well. But great flavour!! Am going to experiment with this one. Didn't glaze it, but covered it in breadcrumbs and served it in a tomato-chickpea sauce.
Rockin' Ricotta - delicious! Used it to stuff mushrooms with.
Italian Apple Cake - great, but used 2 apples in stead of 3, otherwise it would have been too much. (we have big apples here)
Focaccia - Delicious! The mashed potato added softness and juicyness to the bread. Reduced the salt used a little bit next time I made it, dough: the olives and sea salt on top were salty, and there were another 2 tsp in the recipe itself.
Gremolata potatoes - Very refreshing and yummy! Reduced the oil a bit.

Looking forward to trying more from her!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:00 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1863
Location: Los Angeles
Hammie wrote:
I bought this book over a year ago, and am loving it so far! I don't have it on hand right now (my father borrowed it) but I've made:

Italian Quesedillas - Liked them! The idea of mashing beans as a quesedilla filling was genius, and it held together very well
Spicy Tomato Soup - Amazing!!! So easy to make! My sister loves it as well (without the peppers) and I often make it as a starter for when guests are coming over: everybody loves it! They don't sell canned roasted tomatoes here, but it is delicious nontheless.
Pasta carbonara - Also delicious, the shiitake bacon didn't work out for me, but that might have something to do with the fact that I reduced the amount of oil used heavily. Last time I sautéed a zucchini and added the sauce, that was a nice variation!
It is best when eaten immediately, though, it dries out very quickly.
Bowties with garlic-cream sauce and sundried tomatoes - My father's favorite! He keeps requesting it! I use quite a lot of fresh parsley and black pepper.
Italian meatloaf - great flavours, but it did fall apart when cutting, may have something to do with the amount of broth I added, my rice was pretty soggy as well. But great flavour!! Am going to experiment with this one. Didn't glaze it, but covered it in breadcrumbs and served it in a tomato-chickpea sauce.
Rockin' Ricotta - delicious! Used it to stuff mushrooms with.
Italian Apple Cake - great, but used 2 apples in stead of 3, otherwise it would have been too much. (we have big apples here)
Focaccia - Delicious! The mashed potato added softness and juicyness to the bread. Reduced the salt used a little bit next time I made it, dough: the olives and sea salt on top were salty, and there were another 2 tsp in the recipe itself.
Gremolata potatoes - Very refreshing and yummy! Reduced the oil a bit.

Looking forward to trying more from her!


Thanks so much for this great round up of recipes, Hammie, and by the way, welcome to the boards! From your list I've only made the bowties in garlic cream but I agree they are delicious.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:52 am 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:09 pm
Posts: 823
Location: Memphis
The penne puttanesca is absolutely delicious, while also being reasonably affordable & terribly easy to throw together.

_________________
Goodreads


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:24 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:42 pm
Posts: 2780
I have this out from the library right now and I think I'll definitely buy a copy because everything I've made so far has been great!

I made (heart shaped!) pizzas last night for Valentine's Day - the white wild mushroom one and the sausage one (with added tomatoes, basil and black olives). The wild mushroom one was seriously one of the best pizzas I've ever made. Actually, they both were. I didn't have enough mushrooms for the sausage mixture, so I used a can of white beans instead. And tweaked the spices slightly - added garlic, oregano and more fennel. It turned out really well.

I think I'm going to make the Kate Middleton Alfredo (seriously cringe-worthy name, but it sounds tasty!) and chopped salad tonight. Looking forward to it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:26 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1863
Location: Los Angeles
Pinko wrote:
I think I'm going to make the Kate Middleton Alfredo (seriously cringe-worthy name, but it sounds tasty!) and chopped salad tonight. Looking forward to it!


Please post about it here! I'm very curious about that Alfredo recipe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:37 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:51 am
Posts: 1522
Location: Minnesota
LFL wrote:
Pinko wrote:
I think I'm going to make the Kate Middleton Alfredo (seriously cringe-worthy name, but it sounds tasty!) and chopped salad tonight. Looking forward to it!


Please post about it here! I'm very curious about that Alfredo recipe.

I've made that recipe. My opinion is that it was good but I did want the sauce a tad richer so I threw in a handful of cashews. I also bulked up the pasta with beyond meat grilled chicken strips. With those additions it was delicious!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:13 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan

Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 1506
Location: Yorkshire, UK
I made the Italian Apple Cake yesterday. LOVE IT!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:42 pm
Posts: 2780
rohai wrote:
LFL wrote:
Pinko wrote:
I think I'm going to make the Kate Middleton Alfredo (seriously cringe-worthy name, but it sounds tasty!) and chopped salad tonight. Looking forward to it!


Please post about it here! I'm very curious about that Alfredo recipe.

I've made that recipe. My opinion is that it was good but I did want the sauce a tad richer so I threw in a handful of cashews. I also bulked up the pasta with beyond meat grilled chicken strips. With those additions it was delicious!


I made the sauce as written and I really liked it. It doesn't especially taste like alfredo, but it tastes really good! And it came together really easily. It was kind of light, but the salad I served it with was filling so it all evened out.

Speaking of the salad, I thought the dressing was too sweet but other than that it was tasty. I don't really need a recipe for a chopped salad, but I haven't made one in ages so maybe I DO need a recipe. If only to remind me that it's an option.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:33 am 
Offline
Tofu Pup Forever

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:52 pm
Posts: 19
I made the Cherry Coffee Crumbcake yesterday, and it had such a depth of flavour! Delicious. I served it while still warm with a dollop of vegan whipped cream. I made it for my parents, and they both loved it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:29 pm 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 6831
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
Avocado sundried tomato panini tonight. I thought they were good. My husband thought they were amazing and inhaled 3 of the 4 sandwiches in no time.

_________________
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus
I got your blood sausage right here, baby. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:14 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 11607
I made the creamy tempeh and mushroom thing yet again (I rarely repeat cookbook recipes!) but this time I used wild mushrooms (oysters and shiitakes) sauteed before baking, then sauteed some extra with a drizzle of truffle oil on top before serving. It's so rich and heavenly. Light arugula salad with the dressing from her Italian chopped salad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:03 pm 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 6831
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
vijita wrote:
I made the creamy tempeh and mushroom thing yet again (I rarely repeat cookbook recipes!) but this time I used wild mushrooms (oysters and shiitakes) sauteed before baking, then sauteed some extra with a drizzle of truffle oil on top before serving. It's so rich and heavenly. Light arugula salad with the dressing from her Italian chopped salad.


Oh my yum

_________________
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus
I got your blood sausage right here, baby. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:14 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:24 am
Posts: 106
Finally scored this while visiting a little bookstore down in Portland (Annie Bloom's Books, in Multnomah Village). Instant love, if only for the photography.

I went the easy route for dinner and made the Roasted Potatoes with Gremolata and some pasta with the Arrabbiata Sauce. Roasted potatoes with salt and olive oil are already a staple in my house, but the addition of the lemon was refreshing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:06 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:04 pm
Posts: 2
Did anyone else try the pesto meatball slider recipe and have it turn out poorly? Mine stick to everything, even the bottom of the frying pan, no matter how much oil I use. They taste good, but they're not substantial enough to stand up to cooking. They're even sticking to an oiled baking sheet because I'm trying to cook them in the oven right now. This is the first recipe I've had that's been a disaster from this cookbook, and I've tried about 10.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:41 am 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:09 pm
Posts: 389
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, ON Canada
vamonroe98 wrote:
Did anyone else try the pesto meatball slider recipe and have it turn out poorly? Mine stick to everything ... They're even sticking to an oiled baking sheet because I'm trying to cook them in the oven right now.


Instead of oil, try a sheet of parchment paper in the bottom of your baking dish. I've never had anything stick using parchment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:50 pm 
Offline
Hearts James Cromwell

Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:20 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Central Texas
vamonroe98 wrote:
Did anyone else try the pesto meatball slider recipe and have it turn out poorly? Mine stick to everything, even the bottom of the frying pan, no matter how much oil I use. They taste good, but they're not substantial enough to stand up to cooking. They're even sticking to an oiled baking sheet because I'm trying to cook them in the oven right now. This is the first recipe I've had that's been a disaster from this cookbook, and I've tried about 10.


Funny, I have a question about this recipe, too, but not about sticking--I didn't have that problem. I just thought they were so disappointing in taste--like really dense bread. Not meaty or juicy at all. I think I possibly didn't have enough mushrooms and/or I over-processed past "chunky" into a homogeneous paste. Any thoughts?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:43 am 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:38 am
Posts: 261
Made the homemade pasta with a small sub (subbed 1/2 chickpea flour for regular flour). So all up: 1 cup semolina, 1/2 AP flour, 1/2 chickpea flour and the rest ingredients as is. Came out great in my kitchenaid pasta press!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:23 am 
Offline
Huffs Nooch

Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:50 am
Posts: 122
Last night I made the Kate Middleton pasta alfredo. It was sooooo good. I didn't know what to make and when I opened the fridge I had a giant head of cauliflower staring at me....so this recipe was perfect. I ate way too much of this. I will be making this again and perhaps adding more almond milk just to thin it out a bit. Also, I might add a tad bit of miso just for another flavor. I topped mine with shredded spinach and nooch. So dang good.

I did capture, a kinda dark, photo of it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BFC0OvJAEON/?taken-by=cocoamandyk

So far I've been very happy with the recipes I have made from this one. Going to give the biscotti a try next.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer