| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just for You by Kathy Hester
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:06 am 
Saggy Butt

I've just had notice my pre-order has shipped. I've not got Kathy's first slow cooker book as I already have a couple of others so it didn't seem an urgent addition to my library.
However I have high hopes for this one, I know it fills a very specific niche, but it's a niche I live alone in with an underused baby slow cooker. :)

Did anybody else pre-order?

Post subject: Re: Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just for You by Kathy Hes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:26 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I got mine yesterday, and there are a lot of really great sounding recipes in it. I have the Creamy Tomato Basil Bisque brewing right now for serving with xgfx grilled cheese sandwiches tonight. I was going to make the corn chowder but can't find any green chiles in my pantry. I'm particularly excited to try the butternut squash mac and cheese, but my frozen butternut squash was seriously past its prime.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 am 

The creamy tomato basil bisque was delicious! Once you puree the soup, the cashews become like little flecks of parmesan. Yummy, and it made 3 servings of 1.5 cup-ish each.

Today I am making the lentil quinoa taco filling to use in taco salads. I added diced zucchini and fresh corn to cook with the filling.

This cookbook really could not have come out at a better time...I needed something to reinfuse my excitement for cooking, because I had gotten really burned out. When I work, I generally don't get home until 7, and the last thing I want to do at that hour is cook an involved meal. So the slow cooker is really a lifesaver and normally I love it, but the recipes for my large one tend to make 6 servings, which 2 people tire of very quickly. Seems like this one will make a little bit of leftovers without making a huge amount of food.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:50 am 
Semen Strong

You are making me want this! I really am just cooking for myself and my toddler and so many recipes leave so many leftovers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:10 am 
And you never will.

Tofulish wrote:
You are making me want this! I really am just cooking for myself and my toddler and so many recipes leave so many leftovers.

This, exactly. I didn't even know this book existed, but I think I need it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:33 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

karichelle wrote:
Today I am making the lentil quinoa taco filling to use in taco salads. I added diced zucchini and fresh corn to cook with the filling.

Tell me how you like this. She previewed this recipe on the web somewhere and I made it last week, but was not impressed. I might have gotten the seasonings wrong or something, though.

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to this cookbook. I hate downsizing crockpot recipes because the seasonings seem to turn out wrong for me.

The tomato bisque sounds great!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:30 pm 

The taco filling certainly smells good! I went grocery shopping and came back and the house smelled fabulous. I thought the seasonings smelled just like taco seasoning in a packet after I mixed it all together. I used smoked paprika from Trader Joe's and chili powder from Aldi, if that helps. We will see how it tastes later tonight, after Jazzercise! :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:59 pm 

Hmm, it did turn out pretty bland...and it wasn't nearly as fragrant by the time I got home this evening. I'm guessing the long cooking time dulled the flavors, so next time I will double them and see what happens. I did like the texture, it just needs more flavor. Nothing a little guac didn't fix. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:51 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So it wasn't me! I found the texture after refrigeration got really goopy, too.

Guac is a savior.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm indecisive. I only cook for my husband and I, but I like leftovers! And we'll often devour a recipe meant for 4 anyway...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:50 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Anybody tried any more recipes from this one? I'm on the fence. I have her other book, which has some recipes I love, but has had a few that just did not turn out. We were just given a small crock and it'd be nice to get some use of it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:52 pm 

Other recipes we've tried so far:

Curried Cider Winter Squash Soup - This turned out really bitter to me, but I think it might be my dislike for nutmeg. It could also have been my use of a bottled garam masala spice blend instead of the blend in the book. My husband seemed to like it better than I did.

Three Sisters Stew - Really good! I'm used to three sisters stew being made with winter squash, so this one using summer squash was a welcome change that helped me use up some zucchini. I also used the canned kidney bean option on this one (instead of the heirloom beans) for ease and thriftiness.

Cheezy Butternut Squash Macaroni - We've had this twice. It's good and so easy. I am gluten sensitive so I've been making it with GF elbows (Tinkyada brand) and it turns out great.

Tonight's dinner is the Tomatillo & White Bean Chili. It smells good. It doesn't make a whole lot though, maybe just one serving for one person with a hearty appetite. We'll split it and have it with cornbread.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:13 pm 

The Tomatillo & White Bean Chili is tasty, but definitely only for one unless you just want a cupful, then it'll serve 2.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:03 am 
WRETCHED

Ok this is a stupid question... how different is this than her vegan slow cooker book? Does anyone have that?

Reason I ask is although it is my husband and myself, I have a decent sized slow cooker, we like leftovers and if I'm going to cook something for 8 hours, might as well have something leftover to eat? Or would doubling recipes here not be a problem in a bigger cooker? (I imagine she recommends a small slow cooker)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:42 am 

This book is all new recipes, and it's made for a 1.5 or 2 qt slow cooker. We have a tendency to waste leftovers made from 6 or 8 serving recipes so that's why I like being able to make a meal for two. Doubling might work, sometimes it can do weird things to consistencies or spices though.

Last night we had the Southern-Style Chickpeas & Grits. I stirred some Wayfare Hickory Cheddar into the grits to make them cheese grits, and it was delicious. The chickpeas were kind of soupy though so I had to use a slotted spoon to get them out as not to turn the grits into soup in the serving bowls.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:46 am 
Semen Strong

I bought this because I just get tired of left overs! Thanks for the recommendations karichelle!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:00 am 

You're welcome :) I hope you enjoy the book as much as we have been. I have been pretty much obsessed with my slow cooker since we got married. I love coming home to a meal that requires little or no effort to be ready to enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:03 am 
WRETCHED

I think my smallest slow cooker is 4 qts? so yeah, I can't imagine buying a new one (I actually have 2 large ones because 1 is a multi cooker). I may consider buying and doubling recipes though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:27 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I love my 1.5l slow cooker and don't get nearly enough use out of it because of this issue, so I'm thinking of getting this as well. So torn, though, because I already have her first book, two of Robertson's slow cooker books, and that Indian one as well! I could've used it at the BEGINNING of deployment, not now... but it's looking like we may be moving soon to a job where husband will be frequently traveling, so maybe it's worthwhile.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:56 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

i will be giving away this book on my blog on monday - if anyone is interested! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:49 pm 
And you never will.

Ooooh, thanks for the heads-up! I'm very interested!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:33 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made the Apple Chai Oat Groats. Loved it. I just added a bit of dried ginger in addition to the spices listed in the recipe. Mmmmm cardamom! This recipe is going to be a winter staple.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I made the apple crisp recipe, which I saw of Google books. It came out great, and it was perfect with the apples we got from apple picking last week. And, it stayed nice and warm, perfect for topping with vanilla coconut ice cream!

I am seriously considering getting this book. (I even asked for it for my birthday)! I have a hand-me-down 1.5 Q crock pot, which up until now, I've only used for keeping bean dips warm at parties, and the occasional spinach and artichoke dip, too. I really like that all the meals are tailored to fit the smaller crock pot. We are a house of two, and a big slow cooker is just not our style.

I have one question, though, for all the crock pot experts: the cooking times for many of the dishes are 7-9 hours on LOW. With my work schedule and long commute, the weeknights where I would need a no-fuss crock pot meal, I would not be getting home until 10-11 hours. In your experience, would this completely ruin the dish in the pot? Or burn my house down?? HELP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:12 pm 

She addresses needing longer cooking times at the beginning of the book -- she says to add a little more water.

I used to use a light timer to delay the start when I worked long hours. I was omni at the time and only used it when I had frozen meat in the pot, but with a vegan dish there is much less to worry about on the food safety front.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:43 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Ohh the light timer is a good idea! Never thought of that