| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cookbooks you wish someone would write
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:11 am 
Saggy Butt

*sigh* the system just ate a longer reply I was typing since I got logged out while typing :( :( :(
Will try and sit down and remember what I wrote so right now just a shorter reply than was intented.

Cornelie wrote:
Interesting project Helgonblomma! I did something a little similar a while back, calculating how to get a nutritionally balanced and palatable menu for as little money as possible. My basic grocery list consisted of brown rice, oats, flour, lentils, chickpeas, peanut butter, sesame seeds, canola oil (for omegas), carrots, onion, frozen kale, tomato puree, raisins and a selection of spices. I took B12 and D supplements, because they were cheaper than fortified foods. Calcium was a major bottleneck. You can only eat so much kale and sesame, so adding some fortified plant milk or calcium supplements would be advisable. When budget allows you can add a larger variety of veggies to keep it interesting. Food is relatively cheap in the Netherlands, so this costs about €15 per week.

I made things like pancakes, bread, porridge, bean patties, stuffed pastries, pizza and soup. If you have a decent blender, you can get really creative with the pancakes by blending in soaked legumes and rice to up the nutritional value.

Thanks for the input! I already do some of this :) - and lots of other things (like sneaking in not only beans but sprouts as well) - but I have to watch the carbohydrate percents very carefully for my own health reasons (having NOT done this in the past partly due to much relying on the "cheapest food" (i.e. often barley and lentils or the like for too long periods)) so I can't have too much "flour-heavy/grain-mostly" recipes even if they would make it even cheaper. But some I do have of course, but more balanced.

So it has to be a mix of different food items in nearly every recipe to get the balance right AND not too high carbs percents - with the cost as limiting factor. A kind of puzzle in several dimensions :)
"Number-crunching everything" :P is the whole idea of this cookbook :) (and "cook big batches of stuff once a week and freeze in portion sizes" - fortunately the high living costs here mean higher living standards as well so a freezer (sometimes even a huge one) is considered "basic stuff" in the apartments.

Fortified things are rather hard to get out here in the suburbs especially since Veganism still is not widespread even if it is catching in Sweden and Stockholm in particular (the part called Södermalm in Stockholm really is a "green heart" - but on the other hand that is over 20 km away from where I live).

helgonblomma wrote:
@ baby food (for cheap flavoring)

Cornelie wrote:
Really? In my country, baby food is both relatively expensive and very low in flavor. What is this miracle Swedish babyfood?

Even the organic purés (those with the most flavor) rarely cost more than 10-15 SEK (and are available nearly anywhere) - and taking out the 1-2 tablespoons I need I freeze the rest in icecub-trays which gives me about 7-15 tablespoons more I can flavor several things in small quantities with during the month.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yes, the carb overload is definitely an issue when you try to keep it really cheap, I had some problems with that too. Can you find an affordable source of vital wheat gluten to make your own seitan?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:01 am 
Saggy Butt

Cornelie wrote:
Can you find an affordable source of vital wheat gluten to make your own seitan?

Fortunately yes - and if I can't afford to travel into town their postage is moderate so I can order it online. But even here I'm not making "pure" seitan cutlets but I do mix in both beans and in some cases raw (alfasprouts) or parboiled sprouts (yellow peas and / or chickpeas) as well to get it more balanced (with regard to the mineral contents this time though :) ...). I also use vital wheat gluten to both up the protein content of several other things and to get a better structure without using too much flour or carb-heavy bread-crumbs (my barley-hamburger-bread-rolls and the mixed-vegetable-burgers for instance).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:22 am 
Saggy Butt

I think sprouts simply a miracle :) - very cheap to make (especially if you buy the seeds/beans anyway for normal cooking as well), very easy to tend (especially using the stapled-colanders-on-the-counter-method which has served me for years), just needing 2-4 rinses per day work-wise, always-ready and fresh if you set a small new set some times per week, great-tasting, filling (even if mixed into other stuff), powerhouses of vitamins if eaten raw (those you can eat raw) and still powerhouses of minerals if parboiled (like some of the beans you have to parboil to inactivate some enzymes) AND good sources of protein with the carb-percents decreasing as sprouting goes on. And so many different varieties! The list could go on :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:27 am 
Saggy Butt

I suggest we move the discussion about my cookbook-in-the-making to its own thread: Helgonblommas low-budget-cookbook-for-one-in-the-making so that we don't "hijack" the cookbook-wishes-thread :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:38 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Chat Mingkwan has done two cookbooks with vegan//vegetarian Vietnamese recipes. I have Asian Fusion. It's pretty decent. I think the biggest thing for Vietnamese cooking is to grow your own herbs. Perilla is pretty easy to grow. Viet coriander (rau ram) is a little harder if you live somewhere with hard winters.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:01 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Tuiren wrote:
Chat Mingkwan has done two cookbooks with vegan//vegetarian Vietnamese recipes. I have Asian Fusion. It's pretty decent. I think the biggest thing for Vietnamese cooking is to grow your own herbs. Perilla is pretty easy to grow. Viet coriander (rau ram) is a little harder if you live somewhere with hard winters.

They are both great books, for sure! I love his recipes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:50 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'd like to see an Indo-Chinese cookbook or one where you make a quantity of rice and vegetables and then turn it into different dishes with spices or sauces. Like, high volume cooking where you make a week's worth of different vegan meals.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:54 pm 
Tofu Pup

I need a traditional style pastry book. I've been watching The Great British Baking Show and I want to learn how to vegainze fancy pastries, but I've never even tried many of the non-vegan versions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ericaness wrote:
I need a traditional style pastry book. I've been watching The Great British Baking Show and I want to learn how to vegainze fancy pastries, but I've never even tried many of the non-vegan versions.

Vegan Chocolate by Fran Costigan might have some of the recipes you're looking for.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:35 am 
Tofu Pup

LFL wrote:
ericaness wrote:

Vegan Chocolate by Fran Costigan might have some of the recipes you're looking for.

Good to know. That book is on my wishlist, I'll move it to the top.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I came across this cookbook and now I want a vegan version!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:34 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'd like a vegan cookbook of soup and bread pairings, like this one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:07 am 
Taco Scientist

Minatomachi wrote:

I love that idea!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:18 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Shy Mox wrote:
A cookbook for people with depression, it should have recipes that are easy for people when they have trouble even getting out of bed. I suppose I have time to do a blog for it now, but I am not very creative when coming up with new recipes, so it would just be an anthology of recipes I find.

This would be a book of peanut butter and jelly sandwich recipes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LazySmurf wrote:
Minatomachi wrote:

I love that idea!

Anna Thomas' vegetarian cookbook Love Soup is pretty vegan friendly and has soup and bread and spread recipes. It is time consuming, though. Moosewood has a cookbook like this too, but I'm less familiar with it.

Agreed, it'd be great to have a vegan version of something like that, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

LazySmurf wrote:
Minatomachi wrote:

I love that idea!

Actually I just signed this book out of the library and now I have to decide what to make first. Love pairings and many can be made vegan.

Beatrice is one of my favourite cookbook authors for Scandanavian and American Midwest recipes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:35 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I wish someone would write a cookbook geared toward tweens/teens. It's an age where many of our young people start becoming aware of and open to the idea of veganism.

There are cookbooks targeting young children and college students, but I don't believe there are any targeting this age group. A cookbook that's approachable, with pictures of the food, that doesn't talk down to the readers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:23 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Grateful wrote:
I wish someone would write a cookbook geared toward tweens/teens. It's an age where many of our young people start becoming aware of and open to the idea of veganism.

There are cookbooks targeting young children and college students, but I don't believe there are any targeting this age group. A cookbook that's approachable, with pictures of the food, that doesn't talk down to the readers.

I always thought the Sarah Kramer books would good for that purpose! I suppose they are a little outdated for hip teens, but she presented veganism in such a fun and easy way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:18 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Padraigin wrote:
Actually I just signed this book out of the library and now I have to decide what to make first. Love pairings and many can be made vegan.

I know this book through being given it from someone who didn't want it anymore. I made the spicy carrot-parsnip soup yesterday and I like it, but I was too lazy to make the accompanying bread after all (still wish there were a similar book not so full of meat though - I'll check whether my library has vegetarian Love Soup LFL suggested).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Minatomachi wrote:
Padraigin wrote:

I know this book through being given it from someone who didn't want it anymore. I made the spicy carrot-parsnip soup yesterday and I like it, but I was too lazy to make the accompanying bread after all (still wish there were a similar book not so full of meat though - I'll check whether my library has vegetarian Love Soup LFL suggested).

Mina, I looked up the Moosewood soup cookbook, Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special. It turns out to be a soup and salad book and I don't know if it has any bread recipes. Love Soup definitely does, though, and there's even a thread for it somewhere on these boards. I hope your library has it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:48 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

LFL wrote:
Love Soup definitely does, though, and there's even a thread for it somewhere on these boards. I hope your library has it.

It doesn't have it (it has few English-language books, so I'm not surprised). It's still good to keep in mind, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:08 am 
BAD PASS

I long for a savory-only breakfast cookbook. I know that's a weird thing to want, but there ya go.

I'm writing one, if by "writing one" you mean, "Sort of developing recipes every now and then and writing them down in a notebook."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:08 am 
BAD PASS

double post-o-rama

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I would love a savory only breakfast book, especially if some of the recipes are relatively quick. The morning is usually the last time I want something sweet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next