| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cookbooks you wish someone would write
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:16 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

i bought a bunch of produce-heavy and seasonal cookbooks this past CSA season, and i was working my way through them (check out the CSA 2014 thread for quick reviews of individual recipes. i've been meaning to copy my opinions from that thread and organize them per book and post it in the "seasonal-eating cookbook" thread: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=31949 (maybe i'll do that tomorrow. that sounds like a productive use of my time)

at the end of the season, i discovered the baker creek cookbook, and then was invited to test for queenV's root cookbook.* (so i haven't used it yet. flipping through, it looks like it could very well be somewhere between a "use a whole bunch of this" cookbook and a "this is how to use this weird thing" book. fascinatingly, it's organized by main ingredient.)
as for roots, queenV is definitely using some weird ones. (or at least ones i've never used before)

* http://www.amazon.com/True-Your-Roots-I ... 1551525887

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:42 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'd also like to add along with my recommendation for AFR 2.0 as stated above, make it for smaller families, like 1-2 people. It's really hard to halve recipes sometimes without throwing things away, and I really don't like eating a week's worth of leftovers. It's also good for if not everyone in the family is keen on eating a "reduction" meal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:01 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

ScooterDiva wrote:
I'd also like to add along with my recommendation for AFR 2.0 as stated above, make it for smaller families, like 1-2 people. It's really hard to halve recipes sometimes without throwing things away, and I really don't like eating a week's worth of leftovers. It's also good for if not everyone in the family is keen on eating a "reduction" meal.

See, this would kill it for me. Give me all the leftovers!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:15 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

mollyjade wrote:
It's not a cookbook, but the four pounds flour site (historical cooking) did a podcast on mock meats.

http://www.fourpoundsflour.com/podcast-fake-meat/
Thank you, that was really interesting!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

supercarrot wrote:
i've been meaning to copy my opinions from that thread and organize them per book and post it in the "seasonal-eating cookbook" thread: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=31949 (maybe i'll do that tomorrow. that sounds like a productive use of my time)

That would be great if you could, supercarrot. I'd love to know which of those seasonal eating cookbooks you like best now that you've had a chance to cook from them, too, but I don't want to take this thread off topic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:32 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Back when Isa first announced the title of Isa Does It, someone on this board immediately suggested that Isa had already set up the sequel: Isa Does It Again!

Oh, please. Please, let it happen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:34 pm 
Taco Scientist

I still want Isa Does Dallas. It could be tex mex.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I wish someone would write a vegan make ahead and freeze cookbook.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:27 pm 
Saggy Butt

I have begun writing my own cookbook - but have still a long way to go ...

Struggling with being unemployed several times in my life (like now) and thus having very little money (we're talking about existence minimum levels here...) I needed a cookbook which
* with a rather small but very carefully selected set of vegan ingredients (none of them too expensive, every one of them selected for total nutritional value for the cost - i.e. not only focussing on the normal fat, protein, carbs but even more focussing on things like iron, calcium, zinc, B-and other vitamins and minerals)
* has a mealplan for longer periods of time where each and every day will guarantee the minimal nutritional value with those selected ingredients (and on "normal" currently scientifically suggested calorie and vitamin- and mineral-levels per day - not like some books on this theme which promise a vegan (or other) diet on only a couple of $ per day but when you sit down and do the math only achieve this with like 500-800 kcal / day instead of around 2000 kcal / day and with severe deficits in especially the mineral levels if you compute them!
* explicitely states the average cost per recipe and some of the ingredients with suggestions for cheaper swaps with about the same nutritional value
* very much relies on "cook big batches of grains and lentils or peas or even meal components and freeze in individual portions" - so that even the days the energy levels are rather low I know I can take out 2-3 freezer bags of the freezer, put them in the microwave, whip up some dressing or salad and know I'll get at least part of the daily intake of all essential nutritiants in the right proportions.

Writing it most for my own sake (and mostly for that reason to for one person only - another shortcoming of existing cookbooks; especially since you simply cannot afford to throw eatables away when you'r on a minimal budget!) since I'd have needed this badly several times in my life.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:21 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I want to see a 100% vegan Balinese/Javanese cookbook. Some things would be pretty easy to veganize without a recipe, but I'd love to have a good mock-satay recipe (in Bali, they grind up the meat with other stuff, and kind of mold it around a stick), lawar, bakpau, rawon, gudeg, and all the sweets that aren't vegan (a lot of them are).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

helgonblomma wrote:

Struggling with being unemployed several times in my life (like now) and thus having very little money (we're talking about existence minimum levels here...) I needed a cookbook which
* with a rather small but very carefully selected set of vegan ingredients (none of them too expensive, every one of them selected for total nutritional value for the cost - i.e. not only focussing on the normal fat, protein, carbs but even more focussing on things like iron, calcium, zinc, B-and other vitamins and minerals)
* has a mealplan for longer periods of time where each and every day will guarantee the minimal nutritional value with those selected ingredients (and on "normal" currently scientifically suggested calorie and vitamin- and mineral-levels per day - not like some books on this theme which promise a vegan (or other) diet on only a couple of $ per day but when you sit down and do the math only achieve this with like 500-800 kcal / day instead of around 2000 kcal / day and with severe deficits in especially the mineral levels if you compute them!
* explicitely states the average cost per recipe and some of the ingredients with suggestions for cheaper swaps with about the same nutritional value
* very much relies on "cook big batches of grains and lentils or peas or even meal components and freeze in individual portions" - so that even the days the energy levels are rather low I know I can take out 2-3 freezer bags of the freezer, put them in the microwave, whip up some dressing or salad and know I'll get at least part of the daily intake of all essential nutritiants in the right proportions.

Writing it most for my own sake (and mostly for that reason to for one person only - another shortcoming of existing cookbooks; especially since you simply cannot afford to throw eatables away when you'r on a minimal budget!) since I'd have needed this badly several times in my life.

That sounds like a really good idea, especially if it had good nutritional info from a dietician.

I think one obstacle to a good budget vegan cookbook is that the price and availability of ingredients varies by country/region, so what is cheaply available to one cookbook author mightn't be available to readers elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Shy Mox wrote:
A cookbook for people with depression, it should have recipes that are easy for people when they have trouble even getting out of bed. ...I envision it would be more about trying to eat as healthy as you can when you're feeling unwell and can't muster up the effort for cooking, and have sections on self care.

I would love that book!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

An Eastern/Middle European cookbook that isn't that Linda Mazlik one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:29 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

RunLonger wrote:
Back when Isa first announced the title of Isa Does It, someone on this board immediately suggested that Isa had already set up the sequel: Isa Does It Again!

Now I can't stop singing "Isa does it again, she plays with your food, gets lost in whole grain, oh baby baby"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:49 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Last night I had a dream that AFR2.0 came out. I had a case of the sads when I realized it was a dream.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:00 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Blueberry wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:
A cookbook for people with depression, it should have recipes that are easy for people when they have trouble even getting out of bed. ...I envision it would be more about trying to eat as healthy as you can when you're feeling unwell and can't muster up the effort for cooking, and have sections on self care.

I would love that book!

I would, too! Those days when I'm just completely unmotivated and can't summon up the energy to do anything at all.

I would like to see Isa Does it Again
Isa Does Dallas

And then she could do a bunch of other places and keep those sequels coming...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:10 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

helgonblomma wrote:

as an unemployed person.
i would find a way to buy this book.
it's needeed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:54 am 
Saggy Butt

Blueberry wrote:
That sounds like a really good idea, especially if it had good nutritional info from a dietician.

I think one obstacle to a good budget vegan cookbook is that the price and availability of ingredients varies by country/region, so what is cheaply available to one cookbook author mightn't be available to readers elsewhere.

Code:
The complete list of ingredienst I'm experimenting with right now (it might change as the cookbook progresses!) The current mealplan I'm working on covers 35 days.
The style could be described as ”//low-sugar//, //high//-whole-grain-whole-greens-whole-fruits-cooking-from-scratch with lots of fresh homemade sprouts”

@ small packets of: cashewnuts, dried pineapple, dried apricots and flax seeds,
@ whole sesame seeds (mostly for sesame milk making – they are really a wonder calcium-wise),  a small bottle of vegan mayonnaise*,
@ vitan wheat gluten, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, dried yeast, vanilla powder+,
@ green lentils (partly for sprouting), red lentils, yellow peas (partly for sprouting), kidney beans, chickpeas (partly for sprouting), soy beans (for both soymilk-making* and some recipes), black beans, white beans, alfalfa-seeds (for sprouting)
@ baby food (for cheap flavoring), cocoa powder, 100 g dark chocolate (for decorating and some very-small-quantity-flavoring),
@ the smallest bottle of flax/lineseed oil (for the omega-3) to be found, small bottles of olive oil and canola oil, vitamin-D2-fortified vegan margarine (which is essential up here north in winter),
@ lettuce, basil and parsley for planting and tending on the counter
@ frozen% cauliflower, broccoli, corn, spinach&, blueberries&, black currants&;
@ small amounts of fresh cocktail-tomatoes, lots of fresh bananas (partly for freezing), some fresh apples&, a very few bell peppers (for freezing in small portion sizes),
@ lots of standard onions, lots of carrots, some potatoes, some parsnips, lots of cabbage, some garlic, some beets;
@ lots of rolled oats, whole millet, rolled millet/millet flour, lots of whole barley, some polenta, some quinoa (the most expensive item on the list but it does up the protein quality so much even in small quantities that I think it is worth including despite its high cost), some brown rice;
@ the smallest bottle of balsamic vinegar to be found (it's going to be used drop-wise), buillon powder/cubes, bottled lemon juice*, ketchup (for the lycopen), tamari/soy sauce, herbamare (salt with herbs)*, salt, fresh ginger (to be frozen), sauerkraut, 1 packet of nori sheets (partly for grinding for flavoring)
@ for spices: turmeric, coriander, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon; ”nooch”/nutritional yeast (Vitamin-B-12-fortified!), some small bag of dried shiitakes (or the like, I have found shiitakes cheapest in the asia shops around here)
@ flours: buckwheat-flour, lots of wheat graham/whole wheat flour, lots of barley flour, cornflour, brown rice flour, rye flour, oat flour/skrädmjöl (a swedish specialty) and a  little all-purpose-flour;
@ bread crumbs*; potato starch (cheapest around here, use any starch);
@ pasta: small packets each of fusilli, lasagna*, macaroni, 1 small packet of pad thai brown rice noodles and lots of spaghetti;
@ the smallest bottles of agavesyrup and maple syrup to be found (both are rather expensive over here), some raisins and a small packet of raw cane sugar/sucanat;
@ lingonberry jam*& (lingonberries/cowberries grow abundantly in Sweden and thus the jam is comparatively cheap even if you choose a high-quality lower-sugar type),
@ several cans of crushed tomatoes and a can of tomato paste (partly for freezing in table-spoon-quantities).

* Items marked with * are easy to make yourself (recipes included)
+ vanilla powder is more easily found around here – especially for a good price - than good-quality vanilla extract
% I use these stuffs frozen mostly because I can't afford to travel right now and because the nutritional value so quickly sinks if you have to store fresh greens. For a one-person-cookbook-on-low-budget-whole-year-applicable it simply is better to take out a few bits of broccoli from the freezer instead of having a bunch wilting and losing nutritional value in the fridge (or forcing you to eat broccoli every meal for a couple of days!) Of course you can buy fresh stuff and use it fresh – or freeze it yourself if you like.
& These items you could easily gather for yourself, grow yourself or maybe get fresh conveniently

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:08 am 
Saggy Butt

Code:
Some items which disappeared in copying and pasting and formatting the list:

@ apple cider vinegar, (dijon)mustard*, ground ginger,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:43 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

More vegan Korean stuff and a South Indian book. And Vietnamese! I have non-vegan versions of these cuisines and one vegan Korean book, but there could be more!

Kittee made my dreams come true with Teff Love.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:25 am 
Saggy Butt

For the record: the current estimate of costs here in Stockholm, Sweden for that -complete- list of ingredients above equivalents right now to 2,01 US$ (or 18 SEK) per meal or about US$6,08 (54 SEK) per day (35 days and 3 whole nutritionally balanced meals a day) [currently about 46 euros per week] - and this in a country known for its high living costs ... I might be able to get it down a bit more when finished with the whole thing (basically working "backwards" from the nutrition needs and the nutritional value of selected ingredients to sketches of recipes which undergo thorough testing both ingredient-ways and flavor-wise).
Of course it will get a bit more expensive if you want mostly organically grown stuff ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vijita wrote:
More vegan Korean stuff and a South Indian book. And Vietnamese! I have non-vegan versions of these cuisines and one vegan Korean book, but there could be more!

Do you have Dakshin? It's vegetarian, not vegan, but reputedly a great South Indian cookbook.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:12 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Dakshin is so good; I cook out of it all the time. I don't think there are any eggs in it at all, and all the dairy is ghee, yoghurt, and buttermilk, which are easy to sub for. I use coconut oil if I want the richness of ghee, sometimes I use peanut or canola oil, and that probably veganizes about 90% of the recipes. Soy milk mixed with lemon juice or vinegar makes buttermilk, and now that Whole Soy unsweetened yogurt is back, I use that if I don't have any home made on hand.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:17 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Interesting project Helgonblomma! I did something a little similar a while back, calculating how to get a nutritionally balanced and palatable menu for as little money as possible. My basic grocery list consisted of brown rice, oats, flour, lentils, chickpeas, peanut butter, sesame seeds, canola oil (for omegas), carrots, onion, frozen kale, tomato puree, raisins and a selection of spices. I took B12 and D supplements, because they were cheaper than fortified foods. Calcium was a major bottleneck. You can only eat so much kale and sesame, so adding some fortified plant milk or calcium supplements would be advisable. When budget allows you can add a larger variety of veggies to keep it interesting. Food is relatively cheap in the Netherlands, so this costs about €15 per week.

I made things like pancakes, bread, porridge, bean patties, stuffed pastries, pizza and soup. If you have a decent blender, you can get really creative with the pancakes by blending in soaked legumes and rice to up the nutritional value.

helgonblomma wrote:
@ baby food (for cheap flavoring)

Really? In my country, baby food is both relatively expensive and very low in flavor. What is this miracle Swedish babyfood?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:36 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I would really like a "Mrs Cropleys Vegan Selection"
For those who haven't heard of Mrs Cropley, she is a character from The Vicar of Dibley whose recipes are somewhat experimental (such as Marmite and Anchovy sponge cake)

Facebook

http://thechroniclesofbanania.blogspot.co.uk/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next