| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cookbooks you wish someone would write
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:41 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Omg I would also love a savoury-only breakfast book!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:40 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Sounds like you better get writing Hollie, because I'm on board with a savoury breakfast book too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:57 am 
Saggy Butt

Grateful wrote:
I wish someone would write a cookbook geared toward tweens/teens. It's an age where many of our young people start becoming aware of and open to the idea of veganism.

There are cookbooks targeting young children and college students, but I don't believe there are any targeting this age group. A cookbook that's approachable, with pictures of the food, that doesn't talk down to the readers.

Mattias Kristiansson has written exactly that cookbook "Vego hela dagen" - unfortunately it's in swedish. But maybe you could start a campaign to get it translated? It really has good recipes so even I use it several times a month (and I'm 45) but it is written for the 10-16 year olds.

Use google translate and you'll get an idea :)
http://www.vegomagasinet.se/vego-hela-dagen/

Edit:
here is a link with some pictures of the actual pages. A nice clear picture with cute "drawn" additions on all recipes
http://attlevasunt.se/vego-hela-dagen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I would 100% purchase a savory-only breakfast cookbook. Especially if there were minimal oatmeal recipes, as I cannot get past that texture.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:33 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I love a savory breakfast. I guess I usually just eat leftovers from dinner, or make a sandwich, or have a green salad and toast (toast might be topped with any of these: nut butter, EB, nooch, smooshed avocado, marmite, sriracha, hummus, and more). But I would absolutely be interested in a vegan savory breakfast cookbook.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:50 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

It would also be cool to have recipes for things that could be made in advance (e.g. the night before) and would require minimum prep in the morning.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:29 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Thank you, helgonblomma! "Vego hela dagen" seems exactly like the kind of book we could use for our young folks in the US! It seems fun, approachable, and doesn't talk down to the reader. Being able to translate it was pretty slick, too... Many thanks for the links!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:56 am 
BAD PASS

Okay, well, I guess I better get ta' writing!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:54 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

These days all I want out of life is a vegan donut cookbook. I've only ever made donuts half a dozen times, and I've convinced myself that this would all change if I only had a dedicated cookbook full of pretty pictures. This didn't really work out for me with pie, but who knows - maybe this would be different.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I like the savory breakfast suggestion. But could I also maybe get a book of sweet vegan breakfasts that's actually a dessert cookbook disguised as a breakfast cookbook? That way I would have an excuse to eat way too much sugar in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:05 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Hollie wrote:
Okay, well, I guess I better get ta' writing!

I volunteer as recipe tester......

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

elizabee wrote:
These days all I want out of life is a vegan donut cookbook. I've only ever made donuts half a dozen times, and I've convinced myself that this would all change if I only had a dedicated cookbook full of pretty pictures. This didn't really work out for me with pie, but who knows - maybe this would be different.

Babycakes Covers the Classics: From Donuts to Snickerdoodles is both vegan and gluten-free.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:00 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'd really love someone to write a vegan cup soup cookbook, so you can make soup powder in advance and have fancy cup soup at your convenience.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:43 pm 
BAD PASS

Oooh yeah! For a while I was on this soup-cup kick! ....I used a lot of Vegeta powder and also melted a couple plastic lidded jar thingies. But I was never disappointed in my lunches (except for when they had not reached their proper done-ness levels).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:25 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Babycakes Covers the Classics: From Donuts to Snickerdoodles is both vegan and gluten-free.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion! I live near Babycakes and am not the biggest fan of their donuts though, possibly because of the gluten-free bit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:53 am 
Saggy Butt

you savory-breakfast-types do own "Vegan Brunch" by Isa?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Definitely count me in for buying your book Hollie (and recipe testing)!

helgonblomma wrote:
you savory-breakfast-types do own "Vegan Brunch" by Isa?

I love this book, it never disappoints. However, I find most of it far too time-consuming for weekday breakfasts. Toast & spreads, savory overnight oats (I used steel-cut, so they don't get mushy), bakes & casseroles that are prepared in advance, leftover salads, etc. are much more doable for me. I need savory breakfasts that are FAST!

I was really using Protein Ninja a lot when it came out in the Spring. Muffins and scones (sweet), tofu veg pan omelet, toast toppings, cheezy kale scones (!!!), these are all winners that can be prepared on Sunday & re-heated throughout the week. That's what I need more of.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yes, I own and like Vegan Brunch. But it is a weekend book for me, too. What Zula said!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:40 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Quail wrote:
I'd really love someone to write a vegan cup soup cookbook, so you can make soup powder in advance and have fancy cup soup at your convenience.

The Home Made Vegan Pantry has a bouillon recipe that you might be able to change up with variations.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:48 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I want a Vegan Pantry part 2! I learned and loved so much from that book. I was shocked because I wasn't even going to buy it because I thought it was more like those "cook the pantry" books or Happy Herbivore or something, but it is so innovative and full of recipes I rely on regularly. I will settle for anything Miyoko writes because although AVC is meh for me due to the expense/time consumption, her Japanese book is a favourite.

I wish there were more books like Vedge, but written by home cooks rather than chefs, and tested very well. What I don't need is another general home cook vegan book, like pretty much any book with smoothies and tofu scramble in the first chapter and just really predictable stuff. Bryant Terry fills a void there for me but I want more!

I love Vegan Brunch too! But I don't think I've ever used it to cook at breakfast time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vijita wrote:
I want a Vegan Pantry part 2! I learned and loved so much from that book.

Robin Robertson's 2017 cookbook has a similar concept to Vegan Pantry:

https://www.amazon.com/Veganize-Easy-Recipes-Plant-Based-Kitchen/dp/0544815564/

vijita wrote:
I wish there were more books like Vedge, but written by home cooks rather than chefs, and tested very well. What I don't need is another general home cook vegan book, like pretty much any book with smoothies and tofu scramble in the first chapter and just really predictable stuff.

Hear hear!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:53 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

vijita wrote:
I wish there were more books like Vedge, but written by home cooks rather than chefs, and tested very well.

Co-signed! I love Vedge, I think it's incredibly inspiring (gonna salt-roast some golden beets this weekend, as a matter of fact), but a book that's just as inventive written by a normal person would be a game changer. Or if these people would just get some testers! You're publishing a book, for crying out loud, make sure it works. /end rant.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:55 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Ok, not really a new book, but I so-very-much wish Isa Does It was available in kindle form. I have the hard cover version, but for favorite books like this one, I like to have both versions. I tend to cook more using my kindle than a book.

Re: a new book, it would be lovely if a well-done frugal vegan (fv) cookbook would come out. I realize there's one coming soon, and I have that one on pre-order. I was thinking of a fv cookbook geared toward low income people. I feel so many of our ills are influenced by what we eat, and we all know cheap food is often crepe. I'd love to see a book that gives financially disadvantaged people hope for good food and good health for cheap. Perhaps the author(s) could do a week long 'food stamp challenge' as Gwyneth Paltrow tried to do, but doing it right, and seeing it through for the week (or longer), and have this as an introduction to the book. And actually going to a food pantry and using what's available to create recipes. With lots of pictures. With the government subsidizing the books so they're available for free at food pantries and economic support agencies. (I like to dream big!)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:10 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Grateful wrote:
Ok, not really a new book, but I so-very-much wish Isa Does It was available in kindle form. I have the hard cover version, but for favorite books like this one, I like to have both versions. I tend to cook more using my kindle than a book.

Re: a new book, it would be lovely if a well-done frugal vegan (fv) cookbook would come out. I realize there's one coming soon, and I have that one on pre-order. I was thinking of a fv cookbook geared toward low income people. I feel so many of our ills are influenced by what we eat, and we all know cheap food is often crepe. I'd love to see a book that gives financially disadvantaged people hope for good food and good health for cheap. Perhaps the author(s) could do a week long 'food stamp challenge' as Gwyneth Paltrow tried to do, but doing it right, and seeing it through for the week (or longer), and have this as an introduction to the book. And actually going to a food pantry and using what's available to create recipes. With lots of pictures. With the government subsidizing the books so they're available for free at food pantries and economic support agencies. (I like to dream big!)

What frugal book is coming out? I may have missed a memo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:19 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

This one: https://www.amazon.com/Frugal-Vegan-Aff ... 1624143776

It was listed in the '2017 upcoming cookbooks thread'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next