| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:02 am 
Offline
Huffs Nooch

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 126
Right now I'm taking a break from cooking as it is too hot, but I wanted to chime in with a tip.

Most of the sauces in the Main Dishes chapter can be frozen. As I am cooking only for myself, I make the full amount of the sauce, reserve half for freezing, and then add the protein of choice for the final simmer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:11 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nooch

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 126
pepitajobo wrote:
Right now I'm taking a break from cooking as it is too hot, but I wanted to chime in with a tip.

Most of the sauces in the Main Dishes chapter can be frozen. As I am cooking only for myself, I make the full amount of the sauce, reserve half for freezing, and then add the protein of choice for the final simmer.


I just made the Vegetable Manchurian Balls, very easy and quick. I bet you can use Coleslaw Mix as a shortcut, or pre-mix the veggies and flour BUT DON'T add the salt until ready to bake.

One minor quibble, I always struggle reading ingredient lists where everything is boldfaced. I find that even though I read and re-read the recipes, I always miss one ingredient.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:53 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:04 pm
Posts: 455
Location: seattle,wa
pepitajobo wrote:
pepitajobo wrote:
Right now I'm taking a break from cooking as it is too hot, but I wanted to chime in with a tip.

Most of the sauces in the Main Dishes chapter can be frozen. As I am cooking only for myself, I make the full amount of the sauce, reserve half for freezing, and then add the protein of choice for the final simmer.


I just made the Vegetable Manchurian Balls, very easy and quick. I bet you can use Coleslaw Mix as a shortcut, or pre-mix the veggies and flour BUT DON'T add the salt until ready to bake.

One minor quibble, I always struggle reading ingredient lists where everything is boldfaced. I find that even though I read and re-read the recipes, I always miss one ingredient.

Great tips, esp the coleslaw! I am going to get a pack for a super quick manchurian! and yes for the salt. The veggies get super mushy really quickly with the salt.

What is your current fave cookbook with the font and design you like? I have trouble keeping track of ingredients if they are not bold :) With my book, I made sure the font was large and dark that I could read and cook. I have a couple that I cannot use in the kitchen at all.

_________________
Richa @ Blog: http://www.veganricha.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/VeganRicha


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:58 am 
Offline
Huffs Nooch

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 126
betit19 wrote:
pepitajobo wrote:
pepitajobo wrote:
Right now I'm taking a break from cooking as it is too hot, but I wanted to chime in with a tip.

Most of the sauces in the Main Dishes chapter can be frozen. As I am cooking only for myself, I make the full amount of the sauce, reserve half for freezing, and then add the protein of choice for the final simmer.


I just made the Vegetable Manchurian Balls, very easy and quick. I bet you can use Coleslaw Mix as a shortcut, or pre-mix the veggies and flour BUT DON'T add the salt until ready to bake.

One minor quibble, I always struggle reading ingredient lists where everything is boldfaced. I find that even though I read and re-read the recipes, I always miss one ingredient.

Great tips, esp the coleslaw! I am going to get a pack for a super quick manchurian! and yes for the salt. The veggies get super mushy really quickly with the salt.

What is your current fave cookbook with the font and design you like? I have trouble keeping track of ingredients if they are not bold :) With my book, I made sure the font was large and dark that I could read and cook. I have a couple that I cannot use in the kitchen at all.


Everyone is different. So what works for me probably won't work for anyone else. :D

I can deal with that minor quibble; for me it works if you only use boldface to bring attention to something important. A compromise could be a combination of regular (for quantities) and bold (for ingredients). An example of a great book with a poor font/background colour contrast is Isa Does It. I find it very difficult to read, and struggle with it, so I barely cooked from it. The recipes look easy and tasty, but I can't bring it into the kitchen with me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:16 pm 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:31 am
Posts: 220
Location: Chicago, Il USA
I made the Tempeh Tikka Masala for dinner again tonight. It is so good that I might not be able to wait until tomorrow to break out the leftovers. We ate it on brown basmati rice and had spaghetti squash on the side. Spaghetti squash goes so well with the flavors in this recipe.

I think I want to make the Tofu in Mango Curry. I found mango puree at an Indian market but noticed that it has added sugar. I'm wondering if this is what Vegan Richa is suggesting to use in the notes.

_________________
after every party i die


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:32 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:04 pm
Posts: 455
Location: seattle,wa
quietkaos wrote:
I made the Tempeh Tikka Masala for dinner again tonight. It is so good that I might not be able to wait until tomorrow to break out the leftovers. We ate it on brown basmati rice and had spaghetti squash on the side. Spaghetti squash goes so well with the flavors in this recipe.

I think I want to make the Tofu in Mango Curry. I found mango puree at an Indian market but noticed that it has added sugar. I'm wondering if this is what Vegan Richa is suggesting to use in the notes.

Awesome! Yes the puree from the Indian market will work. I usually add sugar to the sauce if I use a mango as I like it on the sweeter side. The canned puree works great.

_________________
Richa @ Blog: http://www.veganricha.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/VeganRicha


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:53 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 22108
Location: Cliffbar NJ
The Tofu in Mango Curry is so good! I had a bunch of mangoes going off, and stuck them in the freezer and used them in this and it was amazing!

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:33 pm 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:31 am
Posts: 220
Location: Chicago, Il USA
Made the Tofu in Mango Curry last night. It was really tasty. Simple ingredients but a very complex flavor.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the additional 28 oz of mango puree I have left over. The can I bought was gigantic.

_________________
after every party i die


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:41 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:34 pm
Posts: 449
Location: Chicago, IL
quietkaos wrote:
Now I have to figure out what to do with the additional 28 oz of mango puree I have left over. The can I bought was gigantic.


Make mango lassi!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:06 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:22 am
Posts: 1831
Location: Midlands, UK
Freeze the mango in portions then make the curry again! I have mango frozen in the freezer ready to make this.

_________________
new and improved blog!
insta!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:39 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:39 pm
Posts: 415
I just got this and started with the tofu scramble. I was too impatient to go out and buy curry leaves but had everything else on hand, and it was delicious even without them. I'm sure it's even better with.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:25 pm 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:31 am
Posts: 220
Location: Chicago, Il USA
The Makhani Vegetable Pot Pie is in the oven as I type this. I went full out and made the biscuits to top it. When I took it out to add the biscuits it looked so good. These last 22 minutes are going to kill me...

_________________
after every party i die


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:59 am 
Offline
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:04 am
Posts: 163
I am so glad I got this! I made the eggplant with nigella and it was soooo good! Anything I make just turn out delicious!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:01 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 am
Posts: 772
I had a ton of caulipots left over from Thanksgiving. I used them in the pav bhaji and it turned out so good. I had to adjust the salt since my caulipots already had some, and I adjusted the cooking time since the potatoes and cauliflower were already cooked. It was such a good way to use leftovers when I was getting sick of Thanksgiving food. This may be my go to way to use up calipots from now on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:40 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:04 pm
Posts: 455
Location: seattle,wa
Exactly how I would use up all those mashed veggies. :) pav bhaji for the win!

_________________
Richa @ Blog: http://www.veganricha.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/VeganRicha


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:52 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:04 pm
Posts: 455
Location: seattle,wa
Hey you all,

I am thinking of what to do for the next book. There are many many books in the market and many upcoming too with similar concepts. It is overwhelming to think sometimes.
Please send me any suggestions that get you excited.
I will be taking more time for this one. No dates yet, coz no concept or recipes yet.

<3 <3

_________________
Richa @ Blog: http://www.veganricha.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/VeganRicha


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:03 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 22108
Location: Cliffbar NJ
I completely and totally adore your GF recipes, and would love a book for GF vegans. Seriously, though, everything you make is amazing and I'd buy any book you wrote!

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:13 pm 
Offline
Taco Scientist
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2870
Location: Austin, TX
I would love if you'd do a soups and stews book! There are a few out but none of them are very interesting or original, I think you could come up some awesome stuff!

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:28 pm 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 pm
Posts: 1723
Location: Boston
Tofulish wrote:
I completely and totally adore your GF recipes, and would love a book for GF vegans. Seriously, though, everything you make is amazing and I'd buy any book you wrote!

I second this! (All of it--GF recipes as well as buying anything you write.)

_________________
http://vegetalion.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:58 pm 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 6840
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
I would love another book similar to the bulk of Isa Does It - weeknight friendly, full meal recipes. Stuff that doesn't require more prep than a cooked grain/bean or marinating tofu. IDI and Vegan Casseroles have become my favourite books for this reason. A recipe for a great tempeh dish is fine, but I am the sort of person who needs you to tell me what starch and veg to have with it.

_________________
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus
I got your blood sausage right here, baby. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:44 pm 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:31 am
Posts: 220
Location: Chicago, Il USA
Moon wrote:
A recipe for a great tempeh dish is fine, but I am the sort of person who needs you to tell me what starch and veg to have with it.


I agree. I love IDI for this reason. Another reason Vegan Richa's book is so good. If it isn't a complete meal there is a reference as to what to serve with it.

_________________
after every party i die


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:38 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: Los Angeles
betit19 wrote:
Hey you all,

I am thinking of what to do for the next book. There are many many books in the market and many upcoming too with similar concepts. It is overwhelming to think sometimes.
Please send me any suggestions that get you excited.
I will be taking more time for this one. No dates yet, coz no concept or recipes yet.

<3 <3


Richa, there is a great PPK thread topic called "Theme suggestions for cookbook authors." I just gave it a bump for you.

I would love a vegetable-focused cookbook that contains a lot of vegetable heavy main dishes. It seems like there are all these protein, grain and nut cookbooks out right now, but not very many that focus on vegetables.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:26 am 
Offline
Angrily Posting on Facebook
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:46 pm
Posts: 3186
LFL wrote:

Richa, there is a great PPK thread topic called "Theme suggestions for cookbook authors." I just gave it a bump for you.

I would love a vegetable-focused cookbook that contains a lot of vegetable heavy main dishes. It seems like there are all these protein, grain and nut cookbooks out right now, but not very many that focus on vegetables.


Seconded. Would love to see a lot of veggie mains.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:42 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: Los Angeles
ScooterDiva wrote:
LFL wrote:
I would love a vegetable-focused cookbook that contains a lot of vegetable heavy main dishes. It seems like there are all these protein, grain and nut cookbooks out right now, but not very many that focus on vegetables.


Seconded. Would love to see a lot of veggie mains.


Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind -- veggie main dishes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:08 am 
Offline
BAD PASS
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:43 pm
Posts: 3273
Location: NW Indiana/Chicago
Ooh. I would love a book of veggie main dishes! ...but seriously, Richa, I will buy your next book even if it's just 701 ways to cook lima beans.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer