| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:02 am 
Huffs Nooch

Right now I'm taking a break from cooking as it is too hot, but I wanted to chime in with a tip.

Most of the sauces in the Main Dishes chapter can be frozen. As I am cooking only for myself, I make the full amount of the sauce, reserve half for freezing, and then add the protein of choice for the final simmer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:11 pm 
Huffs Nooch

pepitajobo wrote:
Right now I'm taking a break from cooking as it is too hot, but I wanted to chime in with a tip.

Most of the sauces in the Main Dishes chapter can be frozen. As I am cooking only for myself, I make the full amount of the sauce, reserve half for freezing, and then add the protein of choice for the final simmer.

I just made the Vegetable Manchurian Balls, very easy and quick. I bet you can use Coleslaw Mix as a shortcut, or pre-mix the veggies and flour BUT DON'T add the salt until ready to bake.

One minor quibble, I always struggle reading ingredient lists where everything is boldfaced. I find that even though I read and re-read the recipes, I always miss one ingredient.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:53 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

pepitajobo wrote:
pepitajobo wrote:

I just made the Vegetable Manchurian Balls, very easy and quick. I bet you can use Coleslaw Mix as a shortcut, or pre-mix the veggies and flour BUT DON'T add the salt until ready to bake.

One minor quibble, I always struggle reading ingredient lists where everything is boldfaced. I find that even though I read and re-read the recipes, I always miss one ingredient.

Great tips, esp the coleslaw! I am going to get a pack for a super quick manchurian! and yes for the salt. The veggies get super mushy really quickly with the salt.

What is your current fave cookbook with the font and design you like? I have trouble keeping track of ingredients if they are not bold :) With my book, I made sure the font was large and dark that I could read and cook. I have a couple that I cannot use in the kitchen at all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:58 am 
Huffs Nooch

betit19 wrote:
pepitajobo wrote:
pepitajobo wrote:

Great tips, esp the coleslaw! I am going to get a pack for a super quick manchurian! and yes for the salt. The veggies get super mushy really quickly with the salt.

What is your current fave cookbook with the font and design you like? I have trouble keeping track of ingredients if they are not bold :) With my book, I made sure the font was large and dark that I could read and cook. I have a couple that I cannot use in the kitchen at all.

Everyone is different. So what works for me probably won't work for anyone else. :D

I can deal with that minor quibble; for me it works if you only use boldface to bring attention to something important. A compromise could be a combination of regular (for quantities) and bold (for ingredients). An example of a great book with a poor font/background colour contrast is Isa Does It. I find it very difficult to read, and struggle with it, so I barely cooked from it. The recipes look easy and tasty, but I can't bring it into the kitchen with me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:16 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the Tempeh Tikka Masala for dinner again tonight. It is so good that I might not be able to wait until tomorrow to break out the leftovers. We ate it on brown basmati rice and had spaghetti squash on the side. Spaghetti squash goes so well with the flavors in this recipe.

I think I want to make the Tofu in Mango Curry. I found mango puree at an Indian market but noticed that it has added sugar. I'm wondering if this is what Vegan Richa is suggesting to use in the notes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:32 pm 

quietkaos wrote:
I made the Tempeh Tikka Masala for dinner again tonight. It is so good that I might not be able to wait until tomorrow to break out the leftovers. We ate it on brown basmati rice and had spaghetti squash on the side. Spaghetti squash goes so well with the flavors in this recipe.

I think I want to make the Tofu in Mango Curry. I found mango puree at an Indian market but noticed that it has added sugar. I'm wondering if this is what Vegan Richa is suggesting to use in the notes.

Awesome! Yes the puree from the Indian market will work. I usually add sugar to the sauce if I use a mango as I like it on the sweeter side. The canned puree works great.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:53 pm 
Semen Strong

The Tofu in Mango Curry is so good! I had a bunch of mangoes going off, and stuck them in the freezer and used them in this and it was amazing!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:33 pm 

Made the Tofu in Mango Curry last night. It was really tasty. Simple ingredients but a very complex flavor.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the additional 28 oz of mango puree I have left over. The can I bought was gigantic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:41 pm 

quietkaos wrote:
Now I have to figure out what to do with the additional 28 oz of mango puree I have left over. The can I bought was gigantic.

Make mango lassi!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Freeze the mango in portions then make the curry again! I have mango frozen in the freezer ready to make this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:39 pm 

I just got this and started with the tofu scramble. I was too impatient to go out and buy curry leaves but had everything else on hand, and it was delicious even without them. I'm sure it's even better with.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:25 pm 

The Makhani Vegetable Pot Pie is in the oven as I type this. I went full out and made the biscuits to top it. When I took it out to add the biscuits it looked so good. These last 22 minutes are going to kill me...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:59 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I am so glad I got this! I made the eggplant with nigella and it was soooo good! Anything I make just turn out delicious!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:01 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I had a ton of caulipots left over from Thanksgiving. I used them in the pav bhaji and it turned out so good. I had to adjust the salt since my caulipots already had some, and I adjusted the cooking time since the potatoes and cauliflower were already cooked. It was such a good way to use leftovers when I was getting sick of Thanksgiving food. This may be my go to way to use up calipots from now on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:40 pm 

Exactly how I would use up all those mashed veggies. :) pav bhaji for the win!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:52 pm 

Hey you all,

I am thinking of what to do for the next book. There are many many books in the market and many upcoming too with similar concepts. It is overwhelming to think sometimes.
Please send me any suggestions that get you excited.
I will be taking more time for this one. No dates yet, coz no concept or recipes yet.

<3 <3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:03 pm 
Semen Strong

I completely and totally adore your GF recipes, and would love a book for GF vegans. Seriously, though, everything you make is amazing and I'd buy any book you wrote!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:13 pm 
Taco Scientist

I would love if you'd do a soups and stews book! There are a few out but none of them are very interesting or original, I think you could come up some awesome stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:28 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Tofulish wrote:
I completely and totally adore your GF recipes, and would love a book for GF vegans. Seriously, though, everything you make is amazing and I'd buy any book you wrote!

I second this! (All of it--GF recipes as well as buying anything you write.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:58 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I would love another book similar to the bulk of Isa Does It - weeknight friendly, full meal recipes. Stuff that doesn't require more prep than a cooked grain/bean or marinating tofu. IDI and Vegan Casseroles have become my favourite books for this reason. A recipe for a great tempeh dish is fine, but I am the sort of person who needs you to tell me what starch and veg to have with it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:44 pm 

Moon wrote:
A recipe for a great tempeh dish is fine, but I am the sort of person who needs you to tell me what starch and veg to have with it.

I agree. I love IDI for this reason. Another reason Vegan Richa's book is so good. If it isn't a complete meal there is a reference as to what to serve with it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

betit19 wrote:
Hey you all,

I am thinking of what to do for the next book. There are many many books in the market and many upcoming too with similar concepts. It is overwhelming to think sometimes.
Please send me any suggestions that get you excited.
I will be taking more time for this one. No dates yet, coz no concept or recipes yet.

<3 <3

Richa, there is a great PPK thread topic called "Theme suggestions for cookbook authors." I just gave it a bump for you.

I would love a vegetable-focused cookbook that contains a lot of vegetable heavy main dishes. It seems like there are all these protein, grain and nut cookbooks out right now, but not very many that focus on vegetables.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:26 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

LFL wrote:

Richa, there is a great PPK thread topic called "Theme suggestions for cookbook authors." I just gave it a bump for you.

I would love a vegetable-focused cookbook that contains a lot of vegetable heavy main dishes. It seems like there are all these protein, grain and nut cookbooks out right now, but not very many that focus on vegetables.

Seconded. Would love to see a lot of veggie mains.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ScooterDiva wrote:
LFL wrote:

Seconded. Would love to see a lot of veggie mains.

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind -- veggie main dishes!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:08 am 
BAD PASS

Ooh. I would love a book of veggie main dishes! ...but seriously, Richa, I will buy your next book even if it's just 701 ways to cook lima beans.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next