| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The art of making your own st
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:57 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

OMG, you all. I've canned a lot of BBQ sauce. I've bought a lot of BBQ sauce. I am a snob about my BBQ sauce. The Zippy BBQ Sauce is right up there with the best. If you are afraid of heat, I beg you not to skip the chipotle peppers. They will not make the sauce hot, but they will add another layer of flavor that can't be recreated without said chipotles.

The recipe also makes a ton and costs considerably less per ounce than the storebought stuff. NOM.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:14 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

theCaityCat wrote:
OMG, you all. I've canned a lot of BBQ sauce. I've bought a lot of BBQ sauce. I am a snob about my BBQ sauce. The Zippy BBQ Sauce is right up there with the best. If you are afraid of heat, I beg you not to skip the chipotle peppers. They will not make the sauce hot, but they will add another layer of flavor that can't be recreated without said chipotles.

The recipe also makes a ton and costs considerably less per ounce than the storebought stuff. NOM.

I agree, it is sooo good and pretty easy to make plus has a 2-3 month shelf life. I use it a few times a week on tofu, seitan or tempeh with some veggies for a quick dinner.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:15 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

otherdimension wrote:
You could try blanching the tofu, which mellows the beany taste.

Did you add the black salt?

Good thought! I did add the black salt, but it still tastes a little beany to me. I found a good usage, though: I mixed it with tahini, a couple squirts of lemon juice, and a little salt and almond milk to make a salad dressing. Delicious, and the beany taste disappears!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:27 pm 

I'd like to try the glorious butter, but it looks like lethicin only comes in pretty large bottles - since I'm an apartment dweller, I generally avoiding buying things that can only be used in one recipe. For those who have it, how often do you use it? Would you say it leans more toward 'useful ingredient' or 'big waste of precious shelf real estate?'

Also, I know I'm way late to the Homemade Vegan Pantry party here, but if anyone has thoughts for me, I'd be grateful!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made a batch of the butter for the first time this weekend. I bought the coconut oil from amazon, and the recipe took the entire container. So... not worth it. And now I have a giant bottle of lecithin that I have no idea what to do with.

The butter is tasty, and it made two good-sized jars. But it's still just barely cheaper than buying EB.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:25 pm 

zelavie wrote:
I made a batch of the butter for the first time this weekend. I bought the coconut oil from amazon, and the recipe took the entire container. So... not worth it. And now I have a giant bottle of lecithin that I have no idea what to do with.

The butter is tasty, and it made two good-sized jars. But it's still just barely cheaper than buying EB.

Thank you! Yeah, ounce for ounce, EB looks a little cheaper than just the coconut oil where I am. Rats - I don't mind shelling out a little more for a superior product, but it sounds like I'd have to make it a LOT to make it worthwhile... =\

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:38 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Any tips (aside from freezing) to prolong butter life? Mine went mouldy after awhile.

In the vegan artisan book she states salt prevents mould, so perhaps rubbing the outside of the butter would help?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:59 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Mine went mouldy so quickly! Like way quicker than anything else I've made ever. It's strange!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:05 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I made the baguettes again, this time using 3 cups of ww flour and 2 cups of white flour, and I added sunflower seeds and flax seeds. It worked beautifully like last time and it's really yummy!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:22 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

This may not be a great solution for people with no storage, but you can buy a gallon of refined coconut oil for about $20, which drastically reduced the cost of my homemade butter operation. :) (I pour it into smaller jars so I can keep most of it in the back of the fridge until I need it). I've been using the same container of (refrigerated) sunflower lecithin for about 2 years with no adverse effects.

It's still not exponentially cheaper than EB, but along with containing no palm oil and tasting way better, the savings is enough to make it worth my time...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:54 am 

Oooh-thanks, Elizabee!! I've been making some of the cheese from AVC-if I go through refined coconut oil quickly enough to make storage worthwhile, I will totally, totally get that!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:51 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made both the classic mayo and the oil-free mayo.

The oil-free mayo made a good tofu-based sandwich spread but was nothing like mayo in taste or texture IMO.

The classic mayo had a perfect texture but I didn't like the taste at all, I blame myself for using flaxseed oil, which is probably not neutral enough. I like flaxseed oil in salad dressings but apparently not in mayo. I used prepared mustard and it turned the mayo bright yellow, I wonder whether Dijon would work best? The recipe doesn't specifiy the kind of mustard.

What I'm really looking for is a recipe very similar to Vegenaise, especially to accompany steamed or oven-fried potatoes. I love Vegenaise, but I'd like being able to make my own so I can make just a small quantity and not have to go through a big jar.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:13 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

So I made the UnRibs for dinner, complete with enough leftovers for four more meals, and NOM. I could taste the peanut butter, but it actually worked really well. Flavorful, chewy, and also delicious with some sriracha and mashed purple sweet potatoes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:38 am 

I made the chicken nuggets last night and they were okay. I wished I'd fried them, and the poultry seasoning was a bit overkill in that they only tasted like poultry seasoning. I used panko but I think they would have been better with fine breadcrumbs. I'm still in love with using okara in seitan though!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:08 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I made the yogurt last night, but fell asleep before I could remove it from my yogurt maker (it was on for 11 hours) and when I woke up, it was really separated - thick tangy yogurt (tasty!) with lots of whey at the bottom. Like half and half, so the amount of yogurt has decreased quite a bit. Do I need to stir it together again? I'm afraid that will make the nice thick yogurt layer on the top thin again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:45 am 
WRETCHED

I usually pour off excess water from my yogurt.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:47 am 

paprikapapaya wrote:
I made the yogurt last night, but fell asleep before I could remove it from my yogurt maker (it was on for 11 hours) and when I woke up, it was really separated - thick tangy yogurt (tasty!) with lots of whey at the bottom. Like half and half, so the amount of yogurt has decreased quite a bit. Do I need to stir it together again? I'm afraid that will make the nice thick yogurt layer on the top thin again.

You can def stir it back in, but if you prefer it thick, why not just pour it off? You could save it and use it in a baked good or something-I used soy whey in place of vinegar once and it worked well!

I'm very curious about okara, but I'm concerned that this soymilk recipe would leave the beans kind of... undercooked? Vijita, do you find that the creamy soymilk recipe cooks the beans enough for them to taste pleasant and not bitter? I've had bad experiences with undercooked beans :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:41 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I love the oil-free granola sweetened with date paste. It makes clusters, tastes good, has contrasting crunchy/chewy textures, makes a lot and is full of good things. I plan on making it often. I used 1 cup of dates instead of 1 1/2 cups and it worked well.

The fresh tofu and thick soy yogurt failed for me. The tofu remained liquid. Although I used a yogurt maker, the yogurt's texture was all wrong and way too thick and it tasted weird, not sour and not at all like yogurt. I'll go back to the soy yogurt I usually make from "The Complete Guide to More Vegan Food Substitutions": I cannot keep it from separating while fermenting, but it tastes great.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:17 pm 

Whoever suggested that I blanch the tofu for the oil-free mayo - thank you! That definitely did reduce the beany taste. It's no Hampton Creek, but given the nutrition difference between it and Hampton Creek, I'm gonna stick with it. I'm still getting into this cookbook, but I've also made:

-vegan shaved parmesan, which I'm really liking. I thought I spread it pretty darn thin, but I still had to pop it back into the oven to dry it out completely. Still, once it was finally dry, this stuff saved a thoroughly mediocre ribollita. Yum.

-buckwheat baking mix, which I can't yet comment on. I tried to make the crepes with it, and I added aquafaba. They didn't hold together at all, but that could be my fault for messing with the recipe. I salvaged it into decent waffles, but they weren't anything special. I'm going to try some pancakes, or maybe buckwheat chocolate waffles, and report back...

-caramel sauce, which, holy shiitake, is incredible and so so delicious. I halved the recipe and I still got more than I'll ever use, though.

-luscious low-fat chocolate oat gelato, which is super, super creamy and intensely chocolatey. I used it to make a riff on Ben & Jerry's Phish Food, with the caramel sauce and some marshmallow fluff. I am going to try and use the recipe as a base for some other flavors. I'm pretty pleased with the texture.

I want to try some of the fake meats next - I wonder if I could use the slow-cooker seitan method on the unchicken? Hmmmm... I may give it a shot!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:30 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just made the breasts of unchicken and made a silly mistake. In the ingredients, it has two "water" measurements and I used the wrong one because I wasn't thinking and it wasn't explicit ("add the water")... I thought it seemed like a lot and yes, yes it was. I baked them to dry them out a bit. They're... okay. I'll make them again, probably, in a smaller batch.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My boyfriend made me the unribs for my birthday BBQ this Saturday. He grilled the slabs on a cast iron pan on a charcoal grill, then baked in the oven, then fried the slices in the cast iron pan on the grill. They are so good. And the zippy barbecue sauce is quite tasty, I don't think we'll ever buy barbecue sauce again. We're going to reheat them on the grill this weekend at the party. Part of me wants to share with all the meat eaters because they are good but the other part of me just wants to horde them all for myself.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:32 pm 

Made a few more things! Still really enjoying the book, but have had some hits, some misses:

-No-knead baguette: delicious. I added sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and a little buckwheat flour, and it was so good. Nice texture, good crust. I served it to friends and they couldn't believe it was homemade.

-Refrigerator pizza dough: stickiest, most unmanageable dough ever. Used so much flour and still had the worst time with it - it didn't matter how much flour I put on my counter, I couldn't roll it out. It just stuck to the counter. I had to shape it with my hands, which didn't work very well and made a GIANT mess of my kitchen, given how much flour I used on surfaces. Tastes good, but SO not worth the hassle - would not recommend this one!

-Oil-free melty mozzarella: one of the best vegan cheeses I've ever made. So, so good. It doesn't EXACTLY melt, but I don't care. Still sooooo much better than daiya.

Still need to try the fake meats, and I want to play with the ice creams too... really having fun with this book!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:07 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We're picking up a grill this weekend. I've never owned one in my entire adult life, so I have no idea what you can and cannot grill. Thoughts on whether the meats from this book will hold up? I'm thinking of trying the unchicken basted with barbeque sauce, but I don't know if it will dry out.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:00 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the unpork with the "extra stringy" variation and it's not stringy at all. It actually turned out looking very much like ground actual pork - I might post a picture if I can figure out how. It has sort of a crumble texture, made lots of little pieces. I do like it and I think it'll make a great dumpling filling or sloppy joe or sausage crumble, but not pulled pork. Maybe I needed to knead it more to develop the stringiness before mixing in the second half cup of gluten?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:43 am 

I've troubleshooted that unpork a bunch of times and keep meaning to record whatever I do, but I've had it so great lately. Put what you made in fried rice I think and then add the VWG more slowly next time? Sorry if that's not too helpful. I really like the basic design of that recipe which is basically just seitan with lots of oil and sugar but it's good.

Samesies on the pizza dough. I've ditched that recipe. I have no patience for difficult dough.

I still love this book so so much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next