| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Bowls
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:41 am 
Huffs Nooch

Last night I made the wide noodle and collard bowl with wild mushroom ragout. So good. I think there are more noodles in this than needed. Next time I'll cut back a bit and add more mushrooms. You must be a mushroom lover for this one, the porcinis really add a huge depth of flavor. This is a solid, quick meal that I think can be served for a fancier dinner.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:28 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Just an FYI for anyone who has been thinking about grabbing this book but hasn't taken the plunge.

Forum giveaway!

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34766

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:10 am 
Nailed to the V

I really want to make the mofongo with fennel sofrito but I cannot deal with fennel. What would be a complementary substitute?

Also, anyone made the lemongrass pasta? Looks sooooooo good!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:17 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Oh, and in addition to my previous post - in the challenge post there is a couple of recipes not included in the recipe roundup in this thread, including a PPK exclusive.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Moon wrote:
Oh, and in addition to my previous post - in the challenge post there is a couple of recipes not included in the recipe roundup in this thread, including a PPK exclusive.

Thank you so much for hosting the challenge! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:08 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Alin wrote:
I really want to make the mofongo with fennel sofrito but I cannot deal with fennel. What would be a complementary substitute?

Also, anyone made the lemongrass pasta? Looks sooooooo good!

Hi Alin!

Leeks (2 medium) would work great in this, I'm thinking. They are sweet when braised and add a light flavor, like the fennel would when braised.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

Leeks! That is genius. Yes, I will absolutely do that. I'm really excited to try this. Thanks, Zsu!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:12 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Any time, Alin!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:44 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

A reminder to everyone - April is here and that means the giveaway for this book has started! In an exciting update, Zsu has offered a copy of her upcoming book Aquafaba, if anyone who currently owns Vegan Bowls wants to play along. So come cook with us!

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34766&start=0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:12 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I've made two recipes so far. The Indonesian stir fried noodle bowl and the zucchini and mushroom pilaf bowl. The noodles were good - easy and tasty - but the pilaf bowl is truly excellent! It is so simple that I thought it would be underdressed and bland but the flavours are amazingly put together. I never would have thought to roast thawed corn kernels or to sautée my orzo pasta before cooking it but it's little things like that that make this meal really delicious. Mr Moon, neighbour and myself were all really pleasantly surprised and I'm sad to report that there's non left for me to have for lunch tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:31 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Hungarian breakfast bowl is yummy and I like the seared cherry tomatoes for something different. I like sautéed mushrooms with a big breakfast and frying them up to taste like sausage is genius.

Spicy ginger polenta bowl is amazing. Mr Moon just turned to me and told me he would take it over Mac and cheese any day. This is a really big deal - if I ever ask him what he wants for dinner the answer is usually Mac and cheese. I will absolutely double it next time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

I started the mofongo today with leeks instead of fennel. It is comfort food perfection. Took 4 times longer to cook than the directions but it's worth it. I'm going to actually eat it and cook the potato portion tomorrow for lunch. I'll post a pic if I figure out what hosting is. Maybe post a link to Insta instead.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:31 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Alin wrote:
I started the mofongo today with leeks instead of fennel. It is comfort food perfection. Took 4 times longer to cook than the directions but it's worth it. I'm going to actually eat it and cook the potato portion tomorrow for lunch. I'll post a pic if I figure out what hosting is. Maybe post a link to Insta instead.

Meh, just post the link. I find fiddling with photobucket too much of a pain lately.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:15 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Sweet and spicy eggplant and zucchini bowl is awesome. Every flavour point was perfect for Mr Moon and I, and just the right amount of spicy. Every part of my mouth was burning after, but not the level of heat that lost flavour, either. The browned cashews somehow threw everything over the edge and I basically wanted just roasted cashews in sauce. Yum yum yum. Might be my new favourite everyday stir fry sauce.

Kidney bean cottage pie bowl was a revelation with the baked mashed potatoes. I only liked the stew, Mr Moon loved it, but the finished product was awesome. Would tweak a bit in future for my own tastes (sub the turnip for.... Anything? My turnip tonight took a long time to cook and was strong tasting, probably just gross, off season turnip) but this was a nice way to make "shepherds pie". Sort of.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Indonesian Stir-Fried Noodle Bowl last night, & it was delicious! I had this recipe bookmarked forever, & I'm so glad I finally got around to making it.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I bought this book as a birthday treat for myself after following along with last month's cooking challenge. After flipping through the book, I'm excited about the variety of whole grains and produce used and I'm looking forward to trying some recipes.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I got started cooking with this book over the weekend. I made the gyro bowl using unchicken cutlets from Homemade Vegan Pantry. I loved this recipe. The lemon garlic marinade was simple, but really elevated the seitan to something special. All the elements worked well together. My only complaint is that I ran out of sauce before I ran out of the other components.

I also made the No Huevos Rancheros. They were good, but I thought the ranchero sauce was missing something. Maybe I didn't cook it long enough? It was nothing that some hot sauce couldn't fix though.

I have 2 more bowls on the menu this week, so I will report back.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:06 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made the Roman Style Tempeh Bowl with Kale and Apple Salad for dinner last night. I also made some garlic knots from Chloe's Kitchen, which turned out to be a good choice. The sauce from the Tempeh Bowl is very yummy and it was nice to have something to sop it up with. The lemon apple combo in the kale salad was very nice. I confess that we ate this one as a plate, but you could definitely pile the tempeh on top of the kale in a bowl and the flavors would work. Of the recipes I've tried so far, this one took the longest to make. I made the knots first and then started the bowl and I should have done it the other way since the tempeh itself has a 30 minute or so cooking time for all the elements.

This week, I'm going to make the Mushroom Larb Bowl and the Jerk Tofu with Coconut Rice bowl. I will report back.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:20 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I downloaded this book awhile back, and to be honest my impression was that these recipes sound like things I would love to eat in a restaurant, but are far too labor-intensive for a bowl dinner. Normally I'd associate a bowl with maybe making a special sauce and a really basic component like boiling rice or steaming broccoli, then mixing in leftover veggies and grains and proteins. Definitely not preparing a special oil or sauce and boiling/baking/sauteeing multiple components separately. But since I love a well-tested and reliably flavorful cookbook, maybe I should give this one another shot.

What are your favorite recipes from this book that are either super easy (a minimum of prep time and dishes to clean), or have components that are incredibly versatile? I mostly cook for myself so I try to mix up my leftovers (hence making bowls out of them). Or any sauces or other basic components you really love that could be mixed into a variety of things?

Also, can anyone weigh in on whether the fennel sofrito might be successful without making the garlic oil (maybe a super tasty olive oil instead)? I can't make the oil for now because a member of my household is super sensitive to the smell of cooked garlic, especially when it is sauteed or otherwise heated by itself before blending in to the overall smell of the dish, but I have some fennel I need to use.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:20 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Yaylentils, I think a lot of these recipes could be easily altered to make speedier.

The ginger polenta bowl is very fast and very easy and the gingered polenta is a revelation! Plus the recipe serves two so you're not swimming in leftovers.

The tempeh paprikas is delicious - I found the dumplings fiddly and messy for a weeknight but I bet packaged gnocchi or boiled potatoes would be a delicious base.

Puttanesca pasta bowl is another quicky recipe where you could probably skip a few steps for simplicity's sake without losing too much flavour. Like sautéing the olives, although I liked the texture change.

The lasagna bowl is delicious and using a food processor to cut down the veg prep time is a great idea. But you could probably do a bag of the frozen spaghetti sauce vegetables instead of processing your own if you wanted to make it even faster. The tofu/almond ricotta was delicious and I'll be using that component in other things for sure.

Tonight we had the Greek quinoa salad bowl with pickled onions. I don't do meal salads very often but this was fast and easy and really delicious. Using the onion brine in the dressing was a great idea and the dressing is so good. Beyond that I used a bag of mixed baby greens from the farmers market, a few cut veg, some pre-sliced olives, and I even made the quinoa in the rice cooker so I didn't have to think about it. I can't recommend this recipe enough, especially to someone who is finding these recipes daunting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:31 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Looking back through my comments in the first two pages, these recipes were 30 minutes or less to make:

Quinoa Breakfast Bowl with Orange, Pear, and Cardamom
Hungarian Cauliflower Soup Bowl (my favorite recipe that I tried!)
Sausage-Style Tofu Bowl with Squash and Potatoes
Spinach Salad Bowl with Warm Pecan Dressing
Indonesian Stir-Fried Noodle Bowl
Spicy Ginger Polenta Bowl with Bok Choy and Chickpeas (seconding Moon's recommendation of this recipe!)
Cinnamon Toast Oatmeal
Chicken-Free Goi Ga Bowl
Freekeh Stir-fry Bowl with Broccoli and Shiitake
Creamed Chipped Hash Bowl (so much better than it sounds!)
Buffalo Chickpea Salad Bowl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've been continuing to make bowls every week since I bought the book. Even though this isn't marketed as a healthy eating book, I think it's a good choice for those looking to add more veggies to their diet. I have recently made:

Veggie Lasagna Bowl -- I made this to use up ricotta I had leftover from another recipe, so I didn't make the ricotta component. I liked the technique of cooking the lasagna noodles in the sauce. It really added flavor. This was excellent fresh and somewhat less enjoyable as leftovers. (The dried herbs started to overpower the other flavors when given a chance to sit).

Sausage Style Tofu Bowl -- I'm not sure what made this sausage style because it didn't taste like sausage to me. But it was good (if a bit plain). I especially enjoyed the steam then grill technique used on the brussels sprouts.

Chimchurri Zucchini Bowl -- The jalapeno I used in the chimchurri was extra hot, so this dish really had a kick. I liked that the veggies were the main component and the protein (beans) was mixed with the grain. It reminded me that the protein doesn't always need to be the main part of a meal. (You would think I would know that, but I do often find myself thinking tofu with side, tempeh with side, seitan with side, etc. when meal planning).

Chickpea Brasoi Bowl - I loved this. The combo of the chickpeas and pickle-y vegetables was great. I did wind up needing to make a second batch of veggies because I ran out of those before the chickpeas were gone and the veggies definitely made the bowl.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:25 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I made the roasted zucchini and mushroom pilaf bowl based on recommendations here. It was delicious! Very subtle with the roasted vegetables and the lemon juice brightening it all up at the end, and I liked the combo of quinoa and orzo. I tried to do things in stages when I had time, so it all came together pretty easily. We threw some cashews on top to give it extra crunch. My only issue is that I'm still hungry after eating probably a third of it (it serves four).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:46 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Freekeh stir fry bowl was tasty and cooked up quickly and was full of veg. I like that Zsu specifies to use the broccoli stalks since so many recipes ask for only florets.

I didn't find the freekeh itself that exciting, so if it's not something that you can find easily don't avoid this recipe. Sub with brown rice or whatever else, really.

Very solid fried-rice type recipe.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI8nZN7Bru5/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh my god you guys, the Lemongrass Bok Choy & Tofu Bowl is delicious. Creamy & super-duper satisfying with tofu & pasta. It could probably be stretched to 6 servings it's got so much going on.

This was pretty taxing to me for a weeknight with multiple pots/appliances used and several things going on. I ended up with like 5 different utensils to wash not including forks to eat with!

Specifics: I cut the pasta down to 8 oz, I cut the oil in the tofu in half (and I used canola). I also soaked my cashews ahead of time. instead of boiling. I used extra firm tofu that I pressed for a couple of hours, but I found that the starch/zest mixture didn't really want to stick to them, especially the zest and I was wondering if they had a bit more liquid to them it might have helped. I used a cup of liquid to thin my sauce but then I realized since I cut down on the pasta maybe I should have used less. It was super liquidy, but I needn't have worried since about 3 minutes later it was ultra thick.

Anyway, this was crazy good. Go make it. https://www.instagram.com/p/BLPlrMFl7_j/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next