| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Bowls
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:24 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Ugh I want this book.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:26 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ME TO!!!
I said no more this year, then I got two for my birthday and bought two! But it think I NEED this one now as it sounds so good and I don't have any books by this author! Good enough reason?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:52 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Good enough reason!

(I enable you, you enable me, we horde all the cookbooks!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:48 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I think there's no such thing as too many cookbooks. It's an investment in making and eating delicious food -- that's not indulgence, that's virtuous! It keeps you out of the drive-through and the frozen dinner aisle! They save you money and improve your diet. It would be WRONG not to run out right now and buy more cookbooks ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:56 am 

Oh, Vegemitey is an enabler extraordinaire!

Cinnamon Toast Oatmeal: Good! Love the crunch of the streusel topping. This is fast too: make the streusel while the oven heats, bake the streusel while the oats cook. Done.

Everyday Dal with Potato Cakes: This was a little more of an ordeal. Ordeal is probably not the right word. It just involved more dishes than most of these recipes so far because you have the tempering spices, the lentils, potatoes boiling, then potatoes frying. And the two-step potato thing made it all take a little longer. I WILL be making the potato cakes again, though! They're so good! I served the dal in a wide shallow bowl, so I could put the potato cakes on top and they wouldn't sink. Loved this.

Chicken-Free Goi Ga Bowl: Back to easy and fast, this was really good too. I made a mistake with the dressing and used a teaspoon of sugar instead of a tablespoon and liked it fine. And I always like nuts in my salads.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:03 pm 

I forgot one!

Chickpea Brasoi Bowl: This was good too, but the spices in the sauce rely on garlic and paprika, and I screwed this up a little by using paprika that turned out to be old, so it didn't add much flavor. Note to use fresh new paprika... Chickpeas and potatoes, though! This is worth making again when I have the right stuff.

Question for the ppk, or Zsu if you pop back in: where do you get Hungarian paprika? An internet search told me I could probably substitute half sweet/half smoked paprika with a very tiny pinch of chili powder, so I went with that. But since I have to buy paprika now anyway, I want Hungarian. And can't find it. I may have to save up for Penzey's order. There are, like, eight different grades, though, so what kind is the most basic, have-this-in-your-kitchen Hungarian paprika?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:20 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hi Run Longer!

Wonderful seeing all the stuff you are making!

Paprika:

When I get really, really lucky, my sister brings some paprika from Hungary, but since that happens maybe a few times in my life, I rely on the top two Hungarian Paprikas (both have been winners of the top paprika brand in Hungary).

Szeged and Kalocsa.

As for simulating the flavor by combining regular paprika with smoked paprika, I advise against. I love both smoked and Hungarian paprika separately, but I feel the smoke would adversely affect the flavor since they are so so different.

Szeged is available in two main types: hot and sweet. Go with the sweet. I don't think they get extremely complicated regarding grind and such and I don't think it is a necessary aspect to worry about. Szeged is available at World Market (in stores - out online for some reason), but you can search for availability HERE. Szeged is also the brand I see most in stores - even Walmart, Safeway, and those basic grocery markets. I used to be able to get it on Amazon, but it is extremely costly now - no clue why (maybe the recall of paprikas earlier this year for having peanut allergens in them?)

When I can't find it at stores or Amazon for a good price, I'll splurge on the shipping and buy it from other vendors online, but I pick up three or four containers to make it worthwhile regarding shipping cost. I have used FAR AWAY FOODS in the past. They give a discount for 6+ units and shipping is around $10 for priority mail. The same can be bought from Walmart online - larger quantities, about $.40 cheaper per unit, given shipping costs. Walmart has Kalocsa as well, but you have to buy 12 units, cost is about $3.50 per unit after shipping.

All in all, either Szeged or Kalocsa is pretty good, unless you have family in Europe ;) Make sure to get the *sweet* version and not the *hot*

Hope this helps, but if not, just specify your needs and I'll see what I can do. Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:06 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

That is super helpful for me--I have never understood "good' paprika, because well, I don't think I've ever had it. I did recently find a Hungarian paprika at a bulk store that was really expensive (and brand new stock), so I'm excited to try it in something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:37 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Vijita -

In the case of "good" paprika, I say it is the variety, location of growth, type and strain, and how the peppers are handled in the drying process. In Hungary, special strains of peppers are grown, ripened to the perfect color (hence, the bright red) and then ground in a special mill with the correct amount of heat and just the right amount of seeds added to the grinding - which itself is an art as not all of the seeds are ground into paprika.

The folks at Szeged and Kalocsa (which are regions in Hungary; towns near rivers to ensure the proper moisture and nutrient requirement for the peppers) have pretty much simplified it for us in the sense that we can get either "hot" or "sweet" paprika. "Sweet" actually means "not hot." As long as the batch you get is relatively fresh (i.e. hasn't been sitting on the shelves in stores for too long), chances are good you have a great product.

A few things to note - because paprika burns very easily (especially these specialty brands that are produced in such a way that the sugar content of the paprika is already very high), I advise removing the pan from the heat when adding it to your cooking. If paprika burns it turns a darker, rusty color and tastes bitter. Also, paprika is best added to fat since fat and heat are needed to release the flavor and true color of paprika. This is the reason that paprika is not flavorful or even used in Hungary, as a condiment at the table or sprinkled over finished dishes - which is only aesthetically pleasing and does nothing for the flavor of the dish.

A bit more info than you probably needed :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:17 pm 

Thank you, thank you! There is a World Market just 4 miles from me, but I didn't think of that! I'll pick some up this weekend. Thanks also for the tips on cooking with it. I wouldn't want to accidentally bitter-ize my brand-new paprika.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:58 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

RunLonger wrote:
Thank you, thank you! There is a World Market just 4 miles from me, but I didn't think of that! I'll pick some up this weekend. Thanks also for the tips on cooking with it. I wouldn't want to accidentally bitter-ize my brand-new paprika.

Anytime! If you ever have any questions regarding anything in the book, I'll be happy to help any way I can.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:42 am 

DeverZsu wrote:
A bit more info than you probably needed :)

Not at all! Super helpful! I didn't know anything about paprika. Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:32 am 
Bathes in Braggs

We had the miso cajun grilled sweet potato bowl for dinner last week and it was great! I was a little hesitant about tacking a bunch of components/moving parts on a weeknight, but everything came together relatively quickly. We used rice instead of quinoa because no one felt like going to the grocery store, and it worked pretty well. The red pepper sauce was awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:51 pm 

This week's recipes!

Lentil Picadillo Bowl: I didn't know what picadillo was, but I liked the photo in the book. Well, mine doesn't look anything like the picture! But I've googled picadillo now and educated myself a little. It seems kind of like chili over farro (instead of rice), served with kale and pepitas. Very spicy and warming for fall.

Spinach Pesto Pasta Bowl with Roasted Vegetables: Pesto over roasted cauliflower (et al.). Need I say more? Unlike most recipes in the book, this was intended to serve 6 instead of 4, so I halved the amount of pasta called for, but made the whole recipe for the pesto and veggies. I like my pasta to be well covered in sauce, so I thought it came out just right this way for me. And still made a ton!

Tempeh Bowl with Fennel Sofrito and Sweet Potato Mofongo: This had more fennel in it than I've ever eaten in one dish! I usually use fennel as kind of an accent rather than the highlighted vegetable. It's good, though. The mofongo is the highlight of the dish. I never grilled potatoes before mashing before. Love that stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

If anyone is interested, Laura Theodore (The Jazzy Vegetarian) is hosting a giveaway for BOTH her Jazzy Vegetarian Classics and my Vegan Bowls. Great deal and easy to enter. Contest ends tomorrow (11/16) at 6 PM so don't delay.

Link to Jazzy Vegetarian giveaway is HERE.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:22 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I love this book so much! I got it from the library but I'm going to buy this one. I plan on making as much as I can from this. Looking at the recipes, they are look like they can be put together rather quickly. Something that you can do on weeknights. So far I made two recipes.

Hungarian Cauliflower Soup Bowl - loved it! I really like freekeh and just don't do much with it. Was great in this soup. It was a last minute meal as I was being lazy, but saw I had everything on hand to make this. It came together so quickly and was so tasty. I will be making this one over and over again.

Sweet and spicy eggplant and zucchini bowl - another good one. Though, I might have thrown in just a tad much of spice. I replaced the celery with carrots as I just don't care for celery -unless diced so tiny in a soup. I really liked the fact you grilled the veggies first. I have a grill pan I used. I would make this one again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:33 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I made the Indonesian noodle bowl and the Tex Mex Risotto at the weekend. I liked the noodles but the risotto was excellent. Really recommended.

To make it easier, I did the vegetable sauté earlier in the day.

Mat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:53 am 

This week's recipes!

Freekeh Stir-fry Bowl with Broccoli and Shiitake: How I love freekeh. If it didn't cost so much more than plain-old rice, I'd sub it in stir-fries forever. This is a great bowl and really quick to make - easily under 30 minutes. I added a cup of edamame just for fun. I know I'll make this again.

Creamed Chipped Hash Bowl: This is so much better than it sounds (to me... I didn't grow up with the SOS stuff). It was more like biscuits and gravy, except served on thick slices of toast instead of biscuits. With chard, because every bowl is a complete meal. Also under 30 minutes, or not much more. A cozy, Sunday morning, post-run breakfast.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:12 am 

A cold landed on me this week, and once I got over the blahs, I went looking for bowls with bold flavors that I'd be able to taste.

Sambal-Glazed Tempeh Bowl: Loved this! For a chili-sauce lover, this had just the right amount of heat. There are four components to make - spiced pepitas, rice, tempeh, and veggies - so this bowl took a little more time - about 45 minutes.

Buffalo Chickpea Salad Bowl: With a half-cup of hot sauce in the chickpeas, I thought this might be TOO hot. But, no, once it's tossed with the salad and croutons, the beans are spread out enough that it was just right. Yeah, it's buffalo sauce, but that's what I was looking for. The dressing recipe comes out thick and fluffy. I diced the other half of the avocado onto the salad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I caved & bought this with an amazon coupon.

I made the Chicken Goi Ga Bowl last night; subbing sriracha for the sambal olek and unchicken from Homemade Vegan Pantry for the tempeh. It was different & delicious. I love a big bowl of crunchy salad and this fit the bill perfectly. We especially liked the coolness of the mint coming through.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:00 am 

RunLonger wrote:
Sambal-Glazed Tempeh Bowl: Loved this! For a chili-sauce lover, this had just the right amount of heat.

Oooh thanks for the inspiration. I am totally making this tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:34 am 

Zsu mentioned on her blog that she's already working on a new cookbook! (no other details)

Busy woman!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:22 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

RunLonger thank you for all the updates, you've completely sold me on this!

Do you all think that recipes from this book travel/reheat as well as most other recipes?

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:54 am 

Hey, yay, I sold a book!

Yes, I think so. I'm the only vegan in our house, and almost all the recipes serve 4. So I bring the leftovers for lunches during the week. I make up the bowls the night before, unless the bowl includes croutons or toasted nuts as toppings, which I keep separate so that crunchy stuff stays crunchy.

Even the oatmeal bowl kept well/reheated well, with a splash more of almond milk the following morning before I put it in the microwave.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:06 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I just purchased this one. The library wanted back their copy :-) But I just love this one and can't wait to make many more from this one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next