| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Make ahead meals cookbooks?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:05 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Hi folks, back in the new PPK fora after a long absence from the old ones! So I apologize if this has come up and I missed it.

I've recently become pregnant and am thinking ahead to those days when I'm going to have to stuff my freezer full of casseroles to subsist on for those post-baby days. I'm also tired a lot and not feeling much like cooking these days, so it would be a nice time to get started on that freezer meal plan anyway.

I'm looking for freeze-ahead meals, ideally branching out a little from casseroles and tamales (my favorite delicious freezable). I have a LOT of cookbooks, veg and non, and already have various casserole recipes that will work, but the idea of something like Super Suppers or Dream Dinners appeals to me. Unfortunately I can't very well pop into my local Super Suppers and expect to find anything Super Vegan, so I've resigned myself to doing my own version of this. There are various cookbooks on the topic on Amazon, but even the ones that get good reviews seem to be meat intensive. I'm pretty good at substituting, but most of these recipes seem to be composed of 95% meat or dairy. I don't mind subbing beans or tofu for meat in a mostly veg dish or throwing in a bit of daiya, I just don't want, you know, 200 recipes for marinated steak. Has anyone found a good do-ahead cookbook for this kind of thing?

Ideally I would LOVE to get enough recipes like this together where I could maybe have people over for a freezer meal make ahead party.

Post subject: Re: Make ahead meals cookbooks?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:30 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Congratulations! If you're still in your first trimester, take heart! Food will become more appealing again and you will get energy back in your second tri (than lose it again in your third... I just got up from a nap).

I don't have any cookbook suggestions, but we've got a little thread with some freezer ideas in the playground (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1852&hilit=freezer).

Post subject: Re: Make ahead meals cookbooks?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oooh, that thread's great, thanks! I looked for something like it but my brain must have skipped right over that thread. Maybe it's time to just start gathering my favorite recipes together and do some experimenting with freezing. I'm about 8 weeks along now, luckily not too much bad morning sickness but I do go from voracious starving veganzilla to "ugh ate too much never want to see food again" in minutes.