| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Appetite for Reduction nutrition info
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:22 am 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 5
First off, I have every Isa book and am in serious looove... I am a weight watchers member, and just got Appetite for Reduction and was beyond geeked when I found out the nutrition info was in there. My question is, I noticed only some of the receipes have the carb count, which is needed to figure out the WW points with the new program. Is there a reason for this?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction nutrition info
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:10 pm 
Offline
Married to the wolfman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm
Posts: 5981
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
I don't know why it's missing from a lot of recipes, but I noticed it too. I'm typing a shiitake ton of recipes into WW to make meal planning next week easier, and so far I've noticed that total carbs is missing from:

pg # Recipe
18 Spicy Blue Potato & Corn Salad
31 Quinoa Salad w/Black Beans & Cumin
45 Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad
54 Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
63 Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Apples
65 Brussels Sprout-Potato Hash
67 Cranberry-Cashew Biryani
69 Scarlet Barley
70 Unfried Fried Rice
75 Quinoa Puttanesca
80 Butternut Coconut Rice

_________________
"Hummus; a gentleman's vice." -- Mars

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction nutrition info
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:21 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 5
Ok, I'm not crazy . I was really tired when I was trying to figure out the points and I thought maybe my mind was just blurring them in. I bought it last week when it was still the old plan, and thought I was golden. Now I'm stuck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction nutrition info
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:32 pm 
Offline
Keepin' It Seal
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 3834
Location: PORTLAND!
Ugh I'm mad that I still haven't gotten my copy. I ordered it with a coworker's amazon stuff so I could get free shipping and it's taking forever to come in. I'll look inside on amazon and figure out the points for some of those when I get home.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction nutrition info
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:38 pm 
Offline
Married to the wolfman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm
Posts: 5981
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
On the upside, I didn't notice a single one in the veggies chapter that was missing carb info. (All of those are great on points too, by the way. You know what else is great on points? ALL of the dressings except for the romesco.)

ETA: Main Event Beans are complete too, and also awesome. Most of them are 5 pts for a hearty serving.

Tofu & Tempeh is complete except for one recipe, and also mainly super awesome pointwise. I love this book more with every chapter I calculate points for.

I figured out points for some of the missing ones, but uh, only the ones I really want to eat soon, heh. I listed them per serving as outlined in the book. They are:

Caulipots - 5 pts
Brussels Sprouts-Potato Hash - 4 pts
Cranberry-Cashew Biryani - 8 pts
Scarlet Barley - 4 pts
Unfried Fried Rice - 5 pts
Tamarind BBQ Tempeh & Sweet Potatoes - 10 pts (making this the single most pointful recipe I've noticed so far. New WW system is really hard on tempeh.)

_________________
"Hummus; a gentleman's vice." -- Mars

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!


Last edited by coldandsleepy on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction nutrition info
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:45 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:40 pm
Posts: 3
So, here's how you can figure out how many grams of carbohydrate there are in a recipe:

Keep in mind that:
carbohydrate = 4 calories/gram
protein = 4 calories/gram
fat = 9 calories/gram

So, if a recipe such as Caulipots has 190 calories and 35 calories from fat and 6 g of protein we would figure out carbohydrates like this:
1) subtract the fat calories from total calories: 190-35= 155 calories
2) calculate the protein calories by multiplying grams of protein by 4: 6 g protein x 4 calories/gram = 24 calories from protein
3) subtract the protein calories from remaining total calories: 155 - 24 = 131
4) the remaining calories are from carbohydrate, so if you divide that number by 4 you will get grams of carbohydrate:
131 calories / 4 calories per gram = 32.75, which is about 33 g of carbohydrate when rounded.

I hope that this helps everyone when calculating total carbohydrates. When it comes to calculating amounts of fiber and sugar that becomes a bit more tricky. We would have to go back to the original nutritional information from each ingredient.

_________________
'Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner,
That I love London so,
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner,
That I think of her whenever I go.

I get a funny feeling inside o' me
Just walking up and down.
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner
That I love London Town.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction nutrition info
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:55 pm 
Offline
Venomous Head of Veganism
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 8592
I'll get up the missing carb info soon! Not sure why it was omitted on some recipes. But yeah, if you enter the recipe into the recipe builder you can get it for now.

_________________
"You guys are a little bit fast to identify as not-mumbles. " ~ mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction nutrition info
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:21 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 5
Thanks so much for that carb tutorial! Awesome!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction nutrition info
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:45 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:20 pm
Posts: 728
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
am i crazy or do the calorie counts not match up to the derived calorie count amounts....i know you round most of the time but is fiber taken into account nowadays? How do you calculate it now?
I don't mean to be anal I'll still use the listed calorie counts, but i'm just wondering if it changed (calculating) and i missed the memo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction nutrition info
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:11 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10737
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
phee wrote:
am i crazy or do the calorie counts not match up to the derived calorie count amounts....i know you round most of the time but is fiber taken into account nowadays? How do you calculate it now?
I don't mean to be anal I'll still use the listed calorie counts, but i'm just wondering if it changed (calculating) and i missed the memo.


what do you mean by derived calorie count amounts? are you saying the calories listed for each nutrient don't add up to the total amount of calories for a serving?
can you give an example from the book of what you're talking about?

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction nutrition info
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:44 am 
Offline
Venomous Head of Veganism
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 8592
ijustdiedinside wrote:
phee wrote:
am i crazy or do the calorie counts not match up to the derived calorie count amounts....i know you round most of the time but is fiber taken into account nowadays? How do you calculate it now?
I don't mean to be anal I'll still use the listed calorie counts, but i'm just wondering if it changed (calculating) and i missed the memo.


what do you mean by derived calorie count amounts? are you saying the calories listed for each nutrient don't add up to the total amount of calories for a serving?
can you give an example from the book of what you're talking about?

I think they're talking about the weight watchers recipes, which makes sense.

_________________
"You guys are a little bit fast to identify as not-mumbles. " ~ mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction nutrition info
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:50 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:37 pm
Posts: 1347
Location: Foresaken Desert
I use livestrong.com to track my intakes and they don't match either, so I just try to estimate.

_________________
Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction nutrition info
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:08 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10737
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
IsaChandra wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
phee wrote:
am i crazy or do the calorie counts not match up to the derived calorie count amounts....i know you round most of the time but is fiber taken into account nowadays? How do you calculate it now?
I don't mean to be anal I'll still use the listed calorie counts, but i'm just wondering if it changed (calculating) and i missed the memo.


what do you mean by derived calorie count amounts? are you saying the calories listed for each nutrient don't add up to the total amount of calories for a serving?
can you give an example from the book of what you're talking about?

I think they're talking about the weight watchers recipes, which makes sense.


oh, ok!

Phee, i hope I didn't sound mean there. I was just really curious because I really like figuring out calorie stuff, so if there was a mystery I wanted to solve it.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction nutrition info
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:09 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:20 pm
Posts: 728
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
You didn't sound mean, i just didn't respond because i haven't been on since i posted


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer