| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:21 am 
Taco Scientist

I think we are going to celebrate Hanukkah this year so I can make all those latkes!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:26 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I haven't been feeling like planning for Thanksgiving this year, so I'm pretty behind. I was scanning this gorgeous doorstop on Friday and boom!, Cauliflower Casserole. Perfect to bring to the big family get-together. It looks so good. I will also be making the Chocolate Pecan pie. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:09 am 
Total Hoover

Cauliflower casserole? I'm intrigued. Everything I hear makes me think maybe I do need to get this book.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:42 am 
BAD PASS

It's online here: https://munchies.vice.com/en/recipes/ca ... -casserole

I made the Double-Batch Chickpea Cutlets last night and am about to reveal the terrible secret that I had never made Chickpea Cutlets before.

Is there a baked version in one of the books? My stove is terrible -- I had them on medium-low-low and kept needed to add more oil so they didn't stick. Maybe my pan is terrible. Regardless. They weren't as done as I'd like but I didn't want them to burn (I did try covering them). I put them in the oven for a while, but by then they'd already soaked up a lot of oil and are a little on the greasy side now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:09 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes Hollie! The directions in Vcon are to bake them at 375 on a lightly oiled sheet, brushing both sides with oil, for 20 mins, then flipping & baking another 8-10 minutes until firm & golden-brown. I've done this plenty of times and they turn out great! They're just a bit firmer and less crispy than using the stovetop. I really don't think I usually brush them with oil either, maybe just spray very lightly...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hollie wrote:
It's online here: https://munchies.vice.com/en/recipes/ca ... -casserole

I made the Double-Batch Chickpea Cutlets last night and am about to reveal the terrible secret that I had never made Chickpea Cutlets before.

Is there a baked version in one of the books? My stove is terrible -- I had them on medium-low-low and kept needed to add more oil so they didn't stick. Maybe my pan is terrible. Regardless. They weren't as done as I'd like but I didn't want them to burn (I did try covering them). I put them in the oven for a while, but by then they'd already soaked up a lot of oil and are a little on the greasy side now.

Yes, I never fry mine and I make them all the time with the directions Zula gave. Frying is such a mess in my kitchen so I really try to avoid it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:02 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Zula wrote:
I haven't been feeling like planning for Thanksgiving this year, so I'm pretty behind. I was scanning this gorgeous doorstop on Friday and boom!, Cauliflower Casserole. Perfect to bring to the big family get-together. It looks so good. I will also be making the Chocolate Pecan pie. :)

The cauliflower casserole is a standout to me as well. I'm not going to be able to make it for Thanksgiving, but I can't wait to try it soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

I simply don't know where to start! I want to make soooo many of them! :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:41 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Is the cranberry orange cheesecake on page 410 supposed to be a no-bake style? The ingredient list makes me want to bake it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:35 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Rohai you're right, it is not no bake: "Planning to make the cranberry orange cheesecake. Is it really no bake--the cornstarch is throwing me a bit!"

"Isa Chandra: That is the one recipe with a mistake in it!!! It is not no bake. It has to bake for 40 minutes. Thanks so much for asking, I am going to put an errata page up on the website. But like I said, that's the only mistake that's been found." (In the comments https://www.facebook.com/IsaChandraMoskowitz/photos/a.295040598667.145931.41121168667/10154229032918668/?type=3&theater )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:46 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Ratefüchsin wrote:
Rohai you're right, it is not no bake: "Planning to make the cranberry orange cheesecake. Is it really no bake--the cornstarch is throwing me a bit!"

"Isa Chandra: That is the one recipe with a mistake in it!!! It is not no bake. It has to bake for 40 minutes. Thanks so much for asking, I am going to put an errata page up on the website. But like I said, that's the only mistake that's been found." (In the comments https://www.facebook.com/IsaChandraMoskowitz/photos/a.295040598667.145931.41121168667/10154229032918668/?type=3&theater )

Thank you!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:33 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

This book is so beautiful! I made two recipes out of it for Thanksgiving. The corn pudding is amazing and so easy. And then I made the cranberry orange cheesecake which is also delicious. However, it came out so soft. It's more like pudding. I really feel like it was supposed to bake before the cranberry topping went on. I even thought when I was making it that it seemed odd to be putting cornstarch in and not baking it. But I just followed the directions. Can anyone confirm whether the recipe is correct as written? I definitely want to make it again, but I want the texture more like cheesecake.

ETA: Never mind about the cheesecake! I just saw the other post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks so much for posting that i just wrote teh correction into my cookbook but does anyone know what temp it's supposed to bake at?
the facebook post doesnt say and i dont see an errata page on her website yet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:51 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

LisaPunk wrote:
thanks so much for posting that i just wrote teh correction into my cookbook but does anyone know what temp it's supposed to bake at?
the facebook post doesnt say and i dont see an errata page on her website yet

There's a pumpkin cheesecake recipe on the blog that has similar ingredients and bakes at 350

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

cool thx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:17 am 
BAD PASS

I somehow managed to screw up both the Corn Pudding, and to a lesser extent, the Caulifower Casserole. I was making the corn pudding late on Wednesday night and misread cornmeal as cornstarch. DERP. I didn't realize I had done this until the next day. It tasted fine, though. (But it made A TON, and there were only three of us, so most of it went to waste)

Then with the Cauliflower Casserole ...I forgot that I'd used all my breadcrumbs to make chickpea cutlets a few nights prior. After a huge freakout, I used ground tortilla chips and pretzels. It was't the worst, and was honestly pretty great...but I want to make it again so I can do it the right way.

The Chocolate Raspberry Mini Cheesecakes were a huge hit with my friends' 4 (5?) year old. And also everyone else.

I wish I hadn't made the Firecracker Greenbeans for Thanksgiving, because they're not very Thanksgiving-y but I still liked them a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

I have now spent some more hours drooling over that book but still can't decide what to start with!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:48 am 
Level 7 Vegan

So far I've made the chipotle Mac and cheese with brussel sprouts, traditional stuffing, seitan loaf with leeks and shiitakes, and white bean and sage gravy. It's all been fantastic! (Like it could have been any other way?)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:29 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Here's what I've made so far:

-Gingerbread waffles: Great! Same recipe as Vegan Brunch
-Dragon green beans: Loved these, such an easy & quick side dish. (Hollie, are these the same as the firecracker beans you mentioned?)
-Pastry crust: It went okay I guess, but I kind of suck with pie crust. The flavor is good, but mine did turn out a bit hard to cut through with a fork.
-Chocolate Pecan Pie: Amaaaaaazing!
-Onion & Cauliflower Casserole: The flavors were good, but I wanted the filling to be chunkier I guess. Also, it kept losing heat quickly and I think it would've tasted better warmer.
-Traditional Stuffing: Very good, but dries out quickly on repeated servings. Makes a ton!
-Pumpkin Pie: Delicious, same recipe as on the blog? vpits? I've made it before I know.
-Pumpkin Cornbread: Fantastic & easy. Tastes more like cake than cornbread, very moist.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:46 pm 
BAD PASS

Oh! Maybe I called them the wrong thing! Firecracker, dragon...totally the same. haha.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:46 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

The white bean broccoli quiche made the BEST filling work lunches this week, and it's delicious both warm and room temp.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:03 am 
Smuggling Raisins

My copy finally arrived yesterday, I'm so excited. Most of the holiday themes don't really apply to my life, but the recipes all apply!

Some things I recognised in the book that I've made from the website are:
Sweet potato soup with vanilla & ginger
Thanksgiving burgers (perfect for an Aussie Xmas dinner)
Seitan roast with shiitake & leeks (I made this at a time of year when leeks had finished, so I had to hunt all over town for some)

They were all delicious!

My first pick for what I absolutely must make, the Chocolate Raspberry Buche de Noel. My next pick, Cauliflower Tikka Masala and Pistachio Lentil Biryani. That's my Christmas sorted. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:11 am 
Saggy Butt

Just picked this up on Kindle for $4.99!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:21 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

So far everything I've tried from this book has been amazing; sesame noodles, baked tofu ham, peanut butter brownies, eggnog pancakes, and stuffing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:43 am 
Tofu Pup

I just bought the Kindle version December 6, but it has no index of recipes!!! How can this be? No way to look up a particular recipe, ingredient or type of dish without paging through the whole thing! Very disappointed!!!