| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aquafaba by Zsu Dever
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:22 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Otherdimension, your yield sounds about right then. I'll get to that vid this week.

Terrific on the mousse! Thank you!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hi Zsu

Thanks for all your help to date!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:01 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Absolutely my pleasure! I really want all the recipes to work properly, but I realize that aquafaba can be a more challenging ingredient to work with. It's much better that I can actually help out than frustrate you guys with missed dishes, such as the mayo you experienced. We'll get that straightened out, too!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:00 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

OMG, the brownies! They were so good. I have to say how much I appreciated the video. I think watching that before I made them really helped because I knew what the batter should look like after everything was blended. My kids are begging for more. I doubt there will be any left tomorrow.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMFYbI9D8Kt ... davi_on_ig

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:41 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

That is wonderful, DEG! I am so happy to video helped. Meringues are such a new technique to many of us and I think seeing it being done takes the mystery out of it. Thank you for letting me know!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:43 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the brioche and it was delish!

Although mine only got about half the rise as compared to the photo. I'm guessing this was- due to-after two hours it had not doubled. Guess I should have waited longer!

Also humid day in Sydney, so I'm guessing that could be a factor to?

Made a new batch of aquafaba via the slow cooker. Got a yield of 2 cups this time, so added a half cup of water per instructions. My last two batches I was getting 4 cups yield and then had tor reduce. The book does address this changeability quite clearly which is helpful!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:23 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Otherdimension, the brioche is certainly a time investment! Yes, wait until it at least looks to have gone a good distance toward doubling. Weather can certainly affect things, although with this one, I'm not sure it was the humidity. If it was also warm then it should have doubled quicker, but maybe coming out of the fridge the doubling was affected. Did you try the finger test (on page 166)? That along with the size of the dough is the best determination whether it is proofed enough.

I just got 5 cups of cooked chickpeas and 3 cups of aquafaba, whereas last week I got 5 3/4 cups beans and 2 1/2 cups aquafaba. Also, I am finding that my beans need to cook an hour longer than for the last 9 months. So odd! If I let it, all these variations with the same bag of beans would drive me bananas. I am so glad you are finding use for the yield guide, too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:50 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks Zsu!

Missed that pinch test.... with try with my other half (in the fridge) soon.

This is a seriously delicious bread! I ate half the loaf in one sitting!

Nice to have brioche again!

I'm wondering if a pinch of turmeric would make it look like traditional brioche?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:56 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I think this is an awesome bread, too. When it rises properly for you, it should be even better. Yes, you can add a pinch of turmeric, but don't add more. Turmeric brightens up a lot after it bakes. Originally I had 1/4 teaspoon in the challah and it came out neon yellow. A pinch will be enough to give it a nice color.

And it isn't a pinch test; it's a finger test. I realize how awkward that sounds, but there it is. : D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:00 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Zsu:

How would you recommend melting the everyday cheese for pizza? ?I see you recommend moist heat. Would putting it under the toppings help?

Thanks Zsu!!

:)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:03 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

For the pizza the heat is so high that it should work no problem. But definitely add cheese first and then the toppings so they can cook better and not steam. Temp of your oven should be at least 450F.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:52 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Attempted the butter and I think it worked! I made in vitamix on speed three. When I had about a little less than 1/4 cup left the vitamix seized up at this point as it was so thick, I panicked a little as I didn't want it to split so I added the remainder a little quicker.

Chilling now in the fridge.

How does this look Zsu?

Regardless this tastes amazing!!! I was literally licking the blender clean! This brought me back to thinking of "buttered popcorn". Wow this really tastes like butter!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:01 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

This is my brioche after two hours, not sure if its quite doubled. Gonna leave it another hour.

What do you think Zsu?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:33 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

oops forgot to do the poke test, hole did not slowly fill, so will proof longer!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:18 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Third attempt at mayo...... (in the vitamix) I nearly had it!

Mayo thickened to perfection, but I still had a little oil left, got up to speed 4 and was using the tamper as the machine struggling a little, then it split! I guess could have added the oil quicker at this point, think I had a couple tablespoons left when the machine was struggling.

Darn, was so close, a little less time and adding that last oil I think I would have had it!

Zsu: when the vitamix thickens the product into those 'four sections' and you still have some oil left, can you add it all at once? I think the margin of time left when it reaches that stage--to when it splits is not that long.....?

Thanks Zsu!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:00 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Success with the mayo! It's light and airy! Was a little to tangy for my liking, but easily fixed by adding less acid next time!

Think I kept it on about a 2-3 on the vitamix this time and used the tamper.

Thanks Zsu!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:11 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

That sounds great! Butter looks good, too, maybe a little too thick, but I think that is because of the Vitamix. I have the mayo video almost done and I'll post it tomorrow.

How did the butter turn out after chilling? And the brioche; did it double properly?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Can a Vitamix be used instead of a mixer to whip up the aquafaba in most recipes? Or is it only recommended for certain recipes?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:15 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

LFL, if you are asking if you can whip it into meringue using a Vitamix, no. It can be used to emulsify, but not to make meringue because the blades are too small to whip air into the aquafaba. You really need something with a whisk or egg beater, even, type of attachment. The egg beater would take a lot longer, though, than a whisk attachment to get stiff peaks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

DeverZsu wrote:
LFL, if you are asking if you can whip it into meringue using a Vitamix, no. It can be used to emulsify, but not to make meringue because the blades are too small to whip air into the aquafaba. You really need something with a whisk or egg beater, even, type of attachment. The egg beater would take a lot longer, though, than a whisk attachment to get stiff peaks.

Thanks! That answers my question.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:08 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

DeverZsu wrote:
That sounds great! Butter looks good, too, maybe a little too thick, but I think that is because of the Vitamix. I have the mayo video almost done and I'll post it tomorrow.

How did the butter turn out after chilling? And the brioche; did it double properly?

Hi Zsu, the butter turned out great, though it doesn't appear as hard as yours in the photo. I'm happy with it! So a little too thick? Will try the hand blender next time! A little too much turmeric too I think.

Brioche doubled (let it go about 3.5 hrs) and poke test suggested it was right and not overdone. I didn't get much rise this time either. It was still DELISH and wonderful dark crust.

Is my pan too big? I think I used a standard bread tin. I'm wondering if I did just one loaf next time, instead of dividing in two?

Someone at work asked " if he could put on order in" (for those who don't know Zsu does mention you'll be asked to make it again!)

How does this look Zsu? It's not big enough to be sandwich loaf, but taste and texture are spot on IMO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:11 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

With my leftover chickpeas I made Zsu's spicy ginger polenta bowl with chickpea and bok choy (from Vegan Bowls) I'd be eyeing off the recipe for months and I'm glad I finally made it!

SO GOOD! creamy gingery polenta, crunchy bok choy and toothsome chickpeas made for great texture and taste. A good weeknight meal and lots flavour!

Thanks Zsu!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:18 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yes, I was wondering if your pan is a bit big. Is it a 9-inch loaf pan? I believe the measurement is from the outside, not within the pan. The photo is of mini brioche, baked in these pans: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I agree, try making the whole dough in that pan if it is considerably bigger than 9-inches, say 10 or more, because your texture looks right. If you compare the inside of the dough with mine, it looks pretty much the same. If you are planning to make this again, consider slashing the loaf before baking. There are multiple ways to slash the bread, so I didn't include this option. You can go straight down the middle (like the pic) or you can go from corner to corner (making an X). This will also give the loaf the opportunity to rise further because the loaf has somewhere to go immediately once it hits the heat.

The butter: I found that if it mixes too fast, it becomes thick very fast and then has a harder time melting when you cook with it. Not sure why that happens, but if I use the immersion blender the blades don't go as fast as the Vitamix and this doesn't happen. It's an anomaly. As for how the picture looks versus how yours looks, I took the picture early in the process and during testing the testers said that they didn't like how hard the butter became so I adjusted the recipe to be more spreadable, more like Earth Balance spread not the sticks. If you want to have thicker butter, let me know and I can dig up the original recipe. Anyway, after a dozen or so renditions, I settled on this one because it solidifies but still spreads. I think the color looks good based on the photo, but you can certainly cut back if it is too bright in real life.

In this same vein, someone let me know that I completely omitted a key person in my credits for this butter. I feel terrible about it and I'll have it fixed if a new printing comes up, but for now, I can let everyone I talk to know that the original vegan butter was first and originally discovered and researched by Mattie Hagedorn of Veganbaking.net (http://www.veganbaking.net/) way back in 2011. I have no excuse for such a blatant oversight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:58 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Otherdimension, here is the mayo video:

https://youtu.be/15_6-i1cNUc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:50 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks Zsu! Good idea putting the jar in a pan of beans!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next