| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aquafaba by Zsu Dever
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:53 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Zsu, I was wondering if I could double the chickpea/aquafaba recipe without it messing up the yield ratios. My slowcooker is 6 quarts and I'm supposed to keep it half full, so I usually cook a pound of beans at a time & freeze them.

I wanted to make some aquafaba to use in brownies this weekend, so I went ahead & followed the recipe for 2 cups yesterday. Everything turned out fine, but you could tell around the edges that my slowcooker wanted more liquid. Any thoughts? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Zula wrote:
Zsu, I was wondering if I could double the chickpea/aquafaba recipe without it messing up the yield ratios. My slowcooker is 6 quarts and I'm supposed to keep it half full, so I usually cook a pound of beans at a time & freeze them.

I wanted to make some aquafaba to use in brownies this weekend, so I went ahead & followed the recipe for 2 cups yesterday. Everything turned out fine, but you could tell around the edges that my slowcooker wanted more liquid. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Doubling should be fine as long as you check the viscosity via the recommended guide. I've done the doubling and it yielded slightly different results. By that I mean that I cooked 2 batches of different quantities (one single and one double) at the same time (I have two Instant Pots) and I used the same beans (same bag) and same amount of water and I got two different amounts of aquafaba (after adjusting for the doubling). Then I reversed the cookers (one with the single and the other with the double) to adjust for the differences in cooker temperatures (just in case they cook at slightly different temperatures) and again the doubled chickpeas came out with more liquid. I did it this way to account for the ambient temperature differences that might occur at different parts of the day and on different days.

Long story made short: make sure the aquafaba to bean ratio comes out fine, adjusting for the doubling. You might need to add more water or reduce the aquafaba, depending on your results. And make sure the beans are cooked to tender but not overcooked.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:10 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

If/when the forums go away, you can always contact me via Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ZsusVeganPantry/

or via my blog:

http://www.zsusveganpantry.com/

or you can email me:

zsu@zsusveganpantry.com

or Instagram or Twitter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks so much, that's great info!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:45 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Zsu is also very active on insta :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:56 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I managed to get the brownies in the oven, but I'm pretty sure I could've just gorged myself on the batter all morning.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:53 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Zula wrote:
I managed to get the brownies in the oven, but I'm pretty sure I could've just gorged myself on the batter all morning.

Hope the final product was half as good as how you described the batter : D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:30 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So, I, uh...of course, have another question. :p

These brownies are just tongue-wagging, so dark & delicious. I'm in the minority I know by preferring a cakey brownie, but these were little devil-liscious bites of fudgy heaven. They're so good, I'm making up words! https://www.instagram.com/p/BL1N3KKFN_6/

Anyway, I was bit confused by the directions. After making the meringue and adding the other ingredients, are you supposed to continue to whip them together or should you fold in the cocoa mixture, then fold in the oil, milk, etc? I continued to whip which deflated my mixture somewhat. I'm just wondering if I did something wrong because the brownies are extremely sticky, like you have to use some tongue force to even get bites off the fork. They're crazy delicious, just super-sticky. I will, however, be making them again & again. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:14 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Zula, have you seen my video of the brownie recipe?

https://youtu.be/G9cSQVCHMyE

They are moist but they shouldn't be that sticky. Watch the video and let me know if you still have questions. After you add the flour, oil, etc, no more whipping, just folding. I bet it deflated too much and that's why it was so moist.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:33 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the everyday cheese and it was quite easy! It's chilling now. The flavour is wonderful! Like a mild mozzarella, or even a bit swiss cheese like.

Can't wait to try!

I'm curious to see what added inherent benefit the aquafaba adds to this, as there are many agar based cheese recipes out there that don't require aquafaba.

I'm guessing that it just help to emulsify everything better???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:03 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yes, it helps it smoothly emulsify. It also changes the texture of the final cheese to some degree. If using kappa, it is extra helpful because kappa and oil tend to repel each other and then the cheese breaks and it can be frustrating to get it back together. So, emulsification and texture are the biggies for aquafaba in cheese.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:56 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I just got this book last week. I have already made the basic waffles and the toasted oat waffles. I forgot to put the sugar in the toasted oat waffles, but a bit of syrup on top fixed that. :)

Both waffles had great texture and I really liked them.

Right now I have my first batch of dry chickpeas in the slow cooker for some homemade aquafaba. I have never cooked chickpeas this way. I love that the book has a yield guide. That is so incredibly helpful!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:58 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thank you, DEG! It's an adventure, for sure! Let me know if you ever encounter any hang-ups.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:59 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Thanks! So far, so good. I meant to take pics of the waffles for instagram, and both times I couldn't because we ate them all. So that should tell you something. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:00 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

DEG wrote:
Thanks! So far, so good. I meant to take pics of the waffles for instagram, and both times I couldn't because we ate them all. So that should tell you something. :)

That is, indeed, a good sign! :D Thank you!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My cheese turned out great! wonderful taste and texture.

Thanks Zsu!

Out of curiosity-- what affect does aqauafaba have on bread dough? I've see your videos for: pizza, breadstick and focaccia, buy have yet to try.

Does it make it spongier?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:17 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Otherdimension, no. It helps with adding moisture, it tenderizes the dough, but more importantly, it creates an amazingly crisp crust. And because of aquafaba, the dough is a dream to work with.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:49 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Everyday cheese!

There's a subtle yet complex flavour to this.... and it's ultra smooth. Very easy to make as well!

A tip (from Miyoko)- which I learnt- is to sprinkle outside with salt to prevent mold, so I do that will all my vegan cheese.

Zsu: I'm guessing this might develop more flavour/culture over time due to the addition of the yoghurt?

Thinking this would make a nice Alfredo sauce!

Onto the mayo next for me!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:21 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Okay two flops for the mayo (probably my error) as I don't think I followed recipe close enough.

aqaufaba reduced to a thick gel (cooled)l and oil was cold

Tried first batch in vitamix... think I may have added oil to quick, the machine laboured a bit (whilst on medium) and a few thick streaks formed on the sides , but stayed liquidy. I increased speed to high thinking I could save it, which did nothing but heat it up.

Tried a second batch with immersion blender, but this time I did not use chilled oil. Also a flop. I found it a bit tricky to hold blender and poor oil at the same time. It didn't thicken either.

Guessing these were probably both my errors.

The other thing I think might have been a factor is that tablespoons are 20ml's here in Australia and not 15 ml, but didn't think this would make a big difference.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:31 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Otherdimension,

Cheese: Really nice looking! It will not ferment any longer because the yogurt was cooked over boil and therefore killed the culture. Good thinking, though, because that is part of the reason that the aged cheese gets sharper. The salt is a great tip. I have her book(s) and completely missed that tip.

Mayo: The immersion blender is definitely the way to go to get the thickest mayo. Troubleshooting, let me go over a few things just to make sure we are on the same page. The aquafaba was so thick that you couldn't pour it? It clung to the container and had to be scooped out? The thickness of it won't affect the emulsion, but it will affect the final mayo thickness.

5ml can add up, especially in the liquid department because it is adding more liquid to something that needs as little added liquid as possible. I wish we would just all use metric, it would be so much more helpful, but I had a hard time getting the publisher to include the small amount of metric weights I did manage to get in there. For the AF, can you just use 30ml? And the lemon and vinegar, 15ml each instead of using the tablespoons? This could affect the emulsion but probably not. But it would definitely make a thinner mayo once it all works properly.

When using the emulsion blender you move the stick and up and down to create a vortex and then add the oil in a pencil lead thin stream to the vortex. Put the oil in the freezer for 20 minute before using it. That will chill it enough to last throughout the process, which will take quite a while to emulsify.

Your container: are you using a mason jar? Pint size is best. Those tend to be a bit heavier. You could put the jar or your container into a medium pot and add dried beans around it to hold it in place. I realize this does cause some difficulty with people the first few times as they aren't sure how to handle three things with two hands.

I will create a demo video for the mayo this week to help clear things up. In the meantime, it is very similar to the Italian dressing emulsification but the oil is added MUCH slower than for the dressing. In addition, the dressing uses 1/4 of the oil so it goes even faster. As long as the oil is cold and it is added in a pencil thin stream, it should work. Here is the Italian Dressing video, but like I said, I'll make a mayo video this week. Hopefully it will help because winding up with a puddle of oil-aquafaba is extremely unfun:

https://youtu.be/KLvsfrAp9Cc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:35 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks for reminding me about the video series Zsu. I had completely forgotten about it!

You're absolutely right, I just over-whipped my batter. Completely spaced out on that one. I'll definitely be making these again & again!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:38 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Zula wrote:
Thanks for reminding me about the video series Zsu. I had completely forgotten about it!

You're absolutely right, I just over-whipped my batter. Completely spaced out on that one. I'll definitely be making these again & again!

I think meringue is just so new to many of us that it's a learning curve. Believe me, I had a lot laps around that track! I'm glad you think you've got it sorted out!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:10 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hey Zsu!

Thanks for your reply! The reduced aquafaba was jellied and thick but pourable.

I used a wide mouth measuring cup to whip it in (with the hand blender)

I'll try again using the exact measurements and see if that works!

One another note (we cannot get kombu here in Australia-- or some I'm told) so I used kelp when cooking chickpeas in slow cooker... I'm hoping this would be okay??? It looks quite similar to your photo of the glass pitcher.

Thanks Zsu! This a fun experiment! I'm a pretty good cook, but find this new adventure challenging! I think you are right in noting all the possible variables!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:15 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I think the most important things to do are:

1) Chill the oil in the freezer
2) Add the oil very very slowly
3) Move the stick and up and down as needed to form a vortex

I don't think your AF is reduced enough, though. When reducing the AF that you are using in the book's yield guide, you are concentrating the aquafaba so much that it actually gels completely once cold. I'll try making the AF with kelp. I don't see any problem with it, except for maybe flavor. Kelp is a very assertive sea flavor so I think it calls for using a lot less than kombu. I'll check it with my next batch.

Since you say the color is good, I think your concentration is fine, but it's odd that it doesn't completely gel. Are your beans tender but not mush? That could affect how much starch and saponins leach into the aquafaba.

And, yes, it is a very challenging ingredient, mostly, because of all the variables. Now I understand why the Sriracha guy buys all the chiles from only one farmer...consistency in product. Wish all chickpeas behaved the same!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks Zsu!

My aqaufaba yield after 8 hours slow cooking is about 4 cups liquid and chickpeas cooked well (not mush)

I reduced down to 2.5 cups as per directions.

Then 1 cup reduced by half, for "reduced aqaufaba".

Good success with the feather light mousse! Was really feather light as described! I could have easily eaten the whole thing!

Thanks Zsu!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next