| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Party Vegan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well it's a bummer you paid full price, but it will be worth it, it's one of my favorite cookbooks!

i need to see if my library has vegan on the cheap, i've heard the "pepperoni stick" is supposed to be pretty amazing!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie: it IS. I only had the real stuff once. (before I knew we weren't really supposed to have pork (religious reasons) and it tastes EXACTLY the way I remembered it. and It "pizzas" up really well. :)

and on a happy note - I was able to cancel it, and get the discount price (and it tossed in vegan on the cheap) as well. slowly, building up my Robin collection :D (I just need realistically, unless someone says different - Quick Fix Vegan, and Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well i hate to be an enabler but the 3 robin cookbooks i have are PV, QFV, and VM&T, I love them all. I checked out her 1000 vegan recipes, vegan planet, and quick fix vegetarian cookbooks from the library but didn't love them as much as the other 3 so i have not bought them -- i did, of course, xeorox some recipes from those books though ;)

i do want to get vegan on the cheap, it seems cool, if only for the pepperoni stick recipe.

i'm not supposed to eat pork either for religious reasons but i grew up in a lax household so i'll be able to make a good determination as to how the pepperoni stick compares to the real deal. i've always been fascinated by people who (due to religious or food allergies or whatever) have never experienced eating certain foods.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

Oh you don't have to worry about enabling. I've cooked through QFV, and WANT IT (it's in the next few paycheques). the Library doesn't have vegan meat and potatoes though.

I've cooked for my friends some recipes in vegan planet. (the lemon risotto was awesome). if you serve it up with Isa's chickpea picatta, it's the best thing you ever put in your mouth, ever.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yes QFV is a much used cookbook along with VWaV. The Vietnamese Tofu Wraps in QFV is one of hubby's fave quick dinners. Actually I think that was the first tofu dish that I cooked for my hubby since I went vegan, so Robin & that recipe very dorkily have a special place in my heart ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:57 am 
Nailed to the V

Hm. Everything showed up. Party Vegan again is stumping me. (I'm pretty sure there are going to be 16 + recipes I'm going to like) (My rule of thumb is i have to like double the amount of recipes per book. yeah it still ends up being a touch more expensive, but it balances out).

is there anywhere I should start with this? (I'm not going to return it, for 8 bucks, I'll keeep it. and I know when I stop being a hermit I'll entertain more people).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

okay, i have some posts on my blog about party vegan.....
http://bookwormbethie.wordpress.com/?s=party+vegan

i do adore this cookbook...... and while it is a party or entertaining cookbook, i have yet to use it for that purpose. i use it more like an everyday cookbook. i do like how the cookbook is organized so that i can make a "main" dish and already have appropriate themed/coordinating "side" dishes to serve with.

some of the things i have made are:

page 48 fava bean hummus, although i used chickpeas and left out the parsley and olives since we didn't have any on hand. i really liked it but did leave myself a note on that page to have a heavier hand with the spices next time

page 50 spiced pita dippers, they are yum and hubby has made his own spice blend and has re-made this recipe a couple of times

page 129 brown rice with pineapples and green onions served with page 131 szechwan green beans and shallots. (we halved both recipes) and with the green beans and shallots we did add in some extra veg like broccoli, carrots, onions

page 189 spinach -potato quesadillas, yummy

page 194 the romaine and avocado salad with cilantro-cumin vinaigrette was awesome

page 216 the corncakes are awesome, we just used yellow cornmeal and i used a 1/4 cookie scoop to make the corncakes
(although next time i might try baking them to be a bit healthier)

the pan gravy on page 233 is freakin' amazing

i have a list of other recipes that i want to make but just haven't had the chance yet. LMK if you make anything anytime soon ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

OHo. that's how I should look at it - a built in "meal" book (with sides, and stuff) rather than bits and bobs to entertain with. (I just have to switch my perceptions). :)

I have to nab some book tabs to go heavy duty on 1000 Vegan Recipes, but I think Party vegan needs it too! :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yay!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:46 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Is there another thread on this book somewhere? I swear I've posted more about the things I've made...

But loved, loved the pair of fruit dips! So easy, and the chocolate one is very allergy friendly.

The chickpea bites were good (and the aioli with them was a huge hit) but I found they really needed to be kept hot, which made them not great for a potluck. Also made the antipasto skewers and....something else I don't remember. A'ight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:38 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

For you Canucks, I just picked up a copy of this book at Winners for $3.99! I can't wait to try out some of the appetizers for parties coming up this season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yeah i got mine as a bargain book too.... the book is still worth it at full price though ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:43 pm 
Nailed to the V

von m wrote:
For you Canucks, I just picked up a copy of this book at Winners for $3.99! I can't wait to try out some of the appetizers for parties coming up this season.

Me too! Just found one when I was cruising winners. Major deal and there are several nice looking recipes I am looking forward to making.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:49 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i'm making the sundried tomato olive biscotti. they are good, but i have no idea how anyone could cut them into 24 slices. I got 16! biscotti aren't easy to cut perfectly, especially with all the little bits in these.