| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 500 Vegan Recipes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:00 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I love the seitan crumbles...not only do they taste good, any easy means to seitan is all right with me. The Asian ones are the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:10 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I had the red meat lasagna today. Amazing! I ate 1/3 of it in one sitting and the leftovers will disappear quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The salsa fresca is fantastic! I loved it when I tested it, but then I forgot about it. I just brought it to a potluck, and every single person there sought me out for the recipe. It is SO easy and totally delicious.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:12 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the cauliflower pasta crisp for the second time, and it's still awesome. One of my favorite baked pasta dishes!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:13 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made one recipe from this book. Now I'm kind of scared of it. I got my bingey tendencies under control ten years ago, and now I can always bake a lot & stay within a pretty healthy eating plan - two, three cookies and I'm done. And then I met the Butterscotch Pecan cookies from this book, and I spent Christmas attempting to hostess while fixating on the cookie tray and trying to calculate how many I could shove in my mouth before people started noticing.

They were really good cookies.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:57 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I am having the craziest time with the independence day weiners. They've been in he oven for an hour plus and still are gooey. I followed the recipe to a T.
I turned the oven up to make fries so hopefully they finish

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:56 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Update: it took an hour and twenty minutes, and I had the oven at 450 for twenty minutes, but they were ok...my boyfriend loved them but I found them too sweet. Are the others like this?

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:21 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I put it on hold at the library. First up shall be Caramelised Onion Tart with a Sweet Potato & Sage Crust then maybe some seitan crumbles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:12 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I make the Protein Quick! Seitan Bites at least once a week. Seitan, but more like a little muffin. They're perfection.

I actually like to use the seasonings in them from VWAV's tempeh sausage crumbles the best, but love them as printed and also with just some caraway and salt and pepper as seasonings. I often make a double batch and have three with the teeniest bit of EB right out of the oven for breakfast every day until they're gone.

Did I mention that they're perfection? Such a genius recipe, to me.

I know I've made a couple other things I love, but can't remember which at the moment. Just the bites. YUM!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:49 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the blueberry pecan cornmeal bread. I make it about 3 times a month. It is amazing, and to me, worth the price of the book on its own.
However, though I have made a handful of other recipes out of the book so far, none of them has been quite as good/sucessful. I like the cinnamon bread, but it is a little too sweet for my regular rotation. The March of the Figs bread felt as if it was missing something. The chana masala with red lentils was okay enough to eat, but I probably won't make it again. The faux ham and grandma's meatloaf for me, had an unpleasant aftertaste. It could have been the TVP in the meatloaf that offed it for me, and I've considered trying it again with bulgar instead.
I really want to love this book more. Are there any recipes in particular I should try next?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:57 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

the smoky potato wedges are great. I love the pumpkin barley bars and make them often.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:18 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I think the wedges are in Vegan Substitutions (but make them anyway; they're amazing).

The Reuben Monte Cristo is SOO good. The barley risotto is good, easy and adaptable to different veggies. The seitan en croute has been our Christmas dinner the last 2 years and is amazing. Cauliflower pasta crisp is yum. I love the curry cashew tofu especially with the sage gravy, but it is very rich. I've made the tequila cranberry cake for different sets of omni co-workers with great results. I don't have the book in front of me but I'll be back with more when I do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:50 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I lost this book. I can't explain it and I've looked everywhere. It hasn't left the house.

How does one lose a large cookbook with a bright pink cover?

Maddening!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:56 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The Eggplant, lentil, and rice pilaf from 500 Vegan Recipes looks disgusting but tastes amazing, especially with a little vegan raita swirled in.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:37 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Im ording their new book heart vegan meals on amazon and i wanted to get another book so i would get free shipping but i'm seeing so many mixed reviews of this book so i dont know if its a handfull of good recipes and then a bunch of fillers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I haven't made much from this book, but it has a lot of unique looking recipes--definitely not filler.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:07 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

veggiegurl wrote:
Im ording their new book heart vegan meals on amazon and i wanted to get another book so i would get free shipping but i'm seeing so many mixed reviews of this book so i dont know if its a handfull of good recipes and then a bunch of fillers.

I think most of the mixed reviews are based on the fact that the book is huge and the recipes are for different tastes and for people with different cooking or baking skills. People have different expectations, too. Personally I think that is the reason why the book got mixed reviews and not because Celine and Joni worked with "fillers". They spent a lot of time to come up with the recipes plus they had a bunch of testers. I was one of them and I can recommend the book!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:43 am 
Cranky

I don't have this or Vegan Substitutions, but I'm guessing the mixed reviews come in part from the very different styles/tastes of the authors.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:19 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Dr. Apricot wrote:
I don't have this or Vegan Substitutions, but I'm guessing the mixed reviews come in part from the very different styles/tastes of the authors.

A lot of the flavor combinations sound quite strange, but I don't think this is at all bad. Even if you end up not liking it, you've tried something different. Best case, you end up with a lot of new and different favorite meals.

I think this is why I find the book overwhelming. I just need to be told what to make from this one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:29 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

lavawitch wrote:
A lot of the flavor combinations sound quite strange, but I don't think this is at all bad. Even if you end up not liking it, you've tried something different. Best case, you end up with a lot of new and different favorite meals.

I agree. What I like about the book is the fact that many recipes/flavour combinations are new and unique. When I buy a new vegan cookbook this is an important factor for me. It's nice to know three different mac and cheese versions, but it's nicer to make something that I haven't made before or to get to know a new flavour. But the book also has a lot of variations on old favourites, too (like mac and cheese). So there's something for everybody, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:02 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Mihl wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I agree. What I like about the book is the fact that many recipes/flavour combinations are new and unique. When I buy a new vegan cookbook this is an important factor for me. It's nice to know three different mac and cheese versions, but it's nicer to make something that I haven't made before or to get to know a new flavour. But the book also has a lot of variations on old favourites, too (like mac and cheese). So there's something for everybody, I think.

Thanks for the help, i like to try new things and a was looking through it on amazon and their are a lot of interesting sounding recipes. I really like the vegan substitutions book so if it's anything like that then i"ll definetly love it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:21 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

As someone who has given it mixed reviews, it's definitely worth buying. There's no filler in it at all. Just not every recipe will appeal to everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:18 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the Independance Day weiners today, and they were a little gooey after 45 minutes. But I cooked them up in a skillet and they got a nice crust and firmed up. Did taste a little sweet, I would cut the agave in half and maybe add some sea salt next time. But once in a bun with plenty of mustard, they were good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:26 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I downloaded this on my Nook over the weekend. I looked through it page by page and bookmarked so many recipes! I was very impressed by the unique recipes. Can't wait to try some of them! I think I will try making the jam-filled soda rolls first.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just finished making the Spicy Gumbo Z'Herbes tonight and it was really, really good. This is coming from someone who was born in Louisiana. Next time, I might try adding some more greens (why not?). I used one teaspoon of cayenne, though, and it was plenty hot, so err on the side of caution there. Also, I didn't have any Old Bay, so I subbed that with some Tony's, since Tony's makes everything better. Oh, and I processed a sheet of nori into powder instead of using dulse powder, since I couldn't find it in the regular grocery and didn't want to drive across town to the Asian grocery store.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next