| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 500 Vegan Recipes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

mollyjade wrote:
As someone who has given it mixed reviews, it's definitely worth buying. There's no filler in it at all. Just not every recipe will appeal to everyone.

I agree with this completely.

To be honest, I've not liked most of the things I've made, however that is because there are a lot of really interesting, unique recipes that appeal to the same part of me that has to try ever weird exotic fruit I see even though I know I really don't love fruit. They aren't bad recipes, they are just not ones that are sure things for me to like, but I have no doubt someone else would love them.

If I cook more sensibly out of it, I know I'll make some really good things. If I don't, well it isn't a cookbook that bores me! I just get overwhelmed with large cookbooks and end up going for the most eye-catching.

The recipes are all well-written and simple/straightforward, plus most use basic ingredients (usually inexpensive).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:16 am 
Tofu Pup

I just have to say, the Cheezy Quackers might be the most addictive things ever! I usually make a double batch them, and it's dangerous how quickly they disappear. Haven't tried anything else from it yet, but these are amazing. My dog loves these too!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The Kale Tofu Spread is really awesome! I find myself munching on it with cherry tomatoes, carrots, and pretzels throughout the day. The only problem with this is I think the kale may be upsetting my tummy because I've had some, er, problems I think digesting it. The recipe calls for wilting it, so it's not completely raw, but I guess it's not cooked enough for my delicate constitution. It's like my body is like "Ew, no! Not leafy greens!" Haha. So far this hasn't really stopped me from stuffing myself with the dip, though, so I guess that's a pretty good sign of deliciousness.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:33 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I tried the Meximeat tonight and really liked it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:57 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

The coconut peanut sauce is the shiitake. I ate it with a spoon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:28 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the Cranberry Chili (p.132) the other night, and it was awesome! My parents loved it too!
(There's quinoa there, somewhere underneath the chili!)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Last night I made the chili con queso from the dips and spreads chapter. It was pretty good, but I think it makes even better taco filling the next day since it thickens up so much because of the TVP. I also had to add extra salt to it as well, since the soy milk/creamer I used in the recipe wasn't unsweetened (it was regular plain). Once I did that though, it was really good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:24 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I love your bowl, Teddyplanet!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:38 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I made Grandma's Meatloaf from this book, broccolipots (from AFR) and roasted green beans for lunch w/my mom yesterday. I was impressed with myself for serving her what I call "a plate" - all organized and grown-up. She liked everything, until I told her that I had almost made the Carmelized Onion Sweet Potato Sage Crust Tart thing. She made me promise to make that for her next time. Kinda took the wind out of the sails of the lunch I had already prepared!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:39 am 

I made the eggplant marinara pizza & whole wheat crust yesterday and it was SO good!!! I was sure that the crust would be soggy or something, I've never made pizza crust before and the marinara is pretty chunky & wet. But the crust was just perfect. The marinara mixture smelled exactly like Gino's East Pizza, which I found to be very interesting. :) I sprinkled a little Daiya & nooch on the top because it didn't seem like pizza otherwise. I will definitely be making this again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:43 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I loooove the black bean chimichangas. They freeze really well, and the cheesy-salsa portion of the recipe is now a kitchen staple for us as a topping for broccoli, potatoes, beans and rice, whatevs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:48 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

junalou wrote:
I loooove the black bean chimichangas. They freeze really well, and the cheesy-salsa portion of the recipe is now a kitchen staple for us as a topping for broccoli, potatoes, beans and rice, whatevs.

YES YES YES!!!! I love them too, I've eaten them I don't know how many times since I first made them (which is only a couple of weeks ago!). And yes, the cheesy salsa is so awesome.
You could fill those chimichangas with cardboard as long as it's covered in that salsa.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been totally overwhelmed by this book too, I've had it for months but hadn't made anything. But I made the tempeh and spinach pie (as three small pies) during MoFo, using puff pastry because I was lazy, and leaving out the marmalade because I didn't think I would like it (I was right, the amount of orange in the finished pie was good, but any more would have been too much for me). Good stuff! I have one pie left in the freezer and I'm excited for the next day when I'm too lazy to cook and I get to eat it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:24 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I really enjoy this cookbook. I think it's got a lot of variety going on that is a little intimidating at first glance.

"That" Broccoli Salad recipe is a total hit. I took it to a house warming and I've been told that I HAVE to bring that dish with me whenever I show up at my friend's house. I get asked all the time for that recipe. Only problem with it is, it's a little involved. I recommend making it over a couple of days so it's not as big a deal to make it all at once. It's worth all the drama tho.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:16 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the balsamic onion focaccia the other night and despite being scared of potatoes on bread it turned out really yummy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the cranberry chili last night and although the basis of it was good, I think maybe a little more agave nectar would have made it better, since the cranberries made it pretty darn tart. When I eat the leftovers, I'm going to try adding a little more of the agave to see if I can balance it out without making it weirdly sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:53 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Have had this book for over a year and just finally making recipes from it (lack of pictures was very uninspiring).

Huge thumbs up for the Pumpkin Spice Coffee and the Mexican Hot Chocolate. Both were super yum, and the Pumpkin Spice Coffee beats the pants off of Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte. I have a new favorite drink :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:00 am 

I made the spinach quiche yesterday and it's really good! But I didn't roll out the crust thin enough. It's got peanut butter in it, so when it's thick it's almost like there's a quiche on top of a pb cookie. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:27 am 

I made the spinach quiche again, but this time I used the basic pastry crust from VB. SO much better!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:14 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I swear I remember lots of love for the blooming onion rolls, but I can't find it. Maybe on the old boards? Anyway, mine didn't come out so good. I'm not a great baker, so I'm very willing to believe it's human error. Should they be at all light and fluffy? Mine were pretty dense and hard, but maybe I'm not used to working with whole wheat flour in yeasted recipes?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:17 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i made the frittata tonight. i filled it with broccoli and bacon seitan crumbles (also from the book). the chickpea flour really gave it that eggy bite. omni husband approved. it may be my new favorite "eggy" bake.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:09 pm 
Saggy Butt

Bumping this post. What have you made and enjoyed?

It's a fairly new member of my cookbook collection and need some help with what to make. So far I've made the barley chili, cinnamon quick bread, presto pesto and cannellini salad, carrot cumin soup and apple sage fauxsage. I loved everything but the soup which was just ok for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:56 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

greenknittinggal wrote:

It's a fairly new member of my cookbook collection and need some help with what to make. So far I've made the barley chili, cinnamon quick bread, presto pesto and cannellini salad, carrot cumin soup and apple sage fauxsage. I loved everything but the soup which was just ok for me.

My favorites from this book are the baked chimichangas (I ate variations of those several days a week for months), mushroom lasagna, red meat lasagna, cauliflower pasta crisp and peanut coconut sauce. And, of course, everything from the faux meat chapter.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:46 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Love Child wrote:
greenknittinggal wrote:

My favorites from this book are the baked chimichangas (I ate variations of those several days a week for months), mushroom lasagna, red meat lasagna, cauliflower pasta crisp and peanut coconut sauce. And, of course, everything from the faux meat chapter.

Are you me?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:55 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Efcliz wrote:
Love Child wrote:
greenknittinggal wrote:

Are you me?

If being you means having good taste in food, then probably!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next