| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu May 28, 2015 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:50 am 
Offline
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:38 am
Posts: 159
10 days to!

Anyone getting? Would like to order, but a bit pricey for me- living in Australia ($40 with shipping from Book Depository), but probably will still get it. Tried her blue ribbon cake, which turned about great (got recipe from preview on Amazon)

Vegan Without Borders shares Robin Robertson's favourite dishes from the great cuisines of the world and shows how cooking vegan makes borders disappear. Whether the recipe hails from Ecuador or Ethiopia, these plant-based dishes invite you to travel the culinary world and sample 150 of Robin's all-time favourites. This mini-immersion into global cooking also reveals that many international cuisines are naturally free of the meat-and-potatoes constraints of the typical Standard American Diet (SAD), and food-loving vegans will delight at the dishes Robin places on her table at home. The recipes are healthy and accessible but without compromising on flavour. The recipes include family-style comfort foods, global ethnic favourites, and creative new dishes inspired by the classics, all developed to satisfy a variety of mealtime desires. The result is a bounty of mouth-watering recipes that span the globe, representing the cooking traditions of more than twenty different countries of Europe, the Americas, Africa, the Middle East, India, and Asia.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:46 am 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 am
Posts: 612
I pre-ordered. I love Robin's recipes and I love international cooking. i'm excited that this is a colour hardcover :)

_________________
A Vegan Julie/Julia Project: This Cycle: Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats! http://veganlydelicious.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:46 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 am
Posts: 367
Looks like a good cookbook. I tried the tamarind chickpeas and they were ok. R liked it more than me.

_________________
http://tastespace.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:59 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 6218
Location: United States of New England
i just saw this on facebook and am intrigued. i think i shall get it from the library when it comes out

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:29 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1014
I'm a big fan of Robin's Quick Fix cookbooks (especially Quick Fix Vegan) but her other cookbooks can be time consuming for a slower cook like me. So I don't make things out of them as often. (With 1000 Vegan Recipes, the fast recipes are marked and I do make some of those). For that reason, even though I'm very interested, I think I'll wait a few weeks and see what people think of this book as far as the quality of the recipes and also how long they take to make.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:14 am 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 am
Posts: 612
I actually cancelled my pre-order. (it didn't arrive on release day). and i think i'm actually going to wait to see it in person.

_________________
A Vegan Julie/Julia Project: This Cycle: Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats! http://veganlydelicious.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:08 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1014
Once again the "Look Inside" section on Amazon does not include the recipe table of contents. Why?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:36 pm 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:12 pm
Posts: 20
I just looked on Amazon; the table of contents and index are both included in the 'look inside' feature. Maybe they just updated this?

I ordered it on my kindle, and love what I see so far. The recipes seem uncomplicated yet delicious. Unfortunately, I've been working way more than any human being should as of late, and don't have time to make anything. I've bookmarked several recipes I'm looking forward to making, though, including Umbrian Lentil Salad, Jackfruit Gyros, Halushki (a noodle and cabbage dish), Portobello Pasties, Chickpea Nuggets w/Buffalo Sauce, Red Bean Stew with Mango, Za'atar Roasted Cauliflower, to name just a few.

My first impression is that this book contains many easy to prepare vegan comfort foods from around the world. As soon as I have time to actually make the recipes, I'll post reviews of those. I also plan to buy a hard copy of the book once I won't have to wait 1-3 weeks for it to be shipped. I like having the kindle version to peruse on break at work, and the hard copy for actually making the recipes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:26 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1014
Grateful wrote:
I just looked on Amazon; the table of contents and index are both included in the 'look inside' feature. Maybe they just updated this?

I ordered it on my kindle, and love what I see so far. The recipes seem uncomplicated yet delicious. Unfortunately, I've been working way more than any human being should as of late, and don't have time to make anything. I've bookmarked several recipes I'm looking forward to making, though, including Umbrian Lentil Salad, Jackfruit Gyros, Halushki (a noodle and cabbage dish), Portobello Pasties, Chickpea Nuggets w/Buffalo Sauce, Red Bean Stew with Mango, Za'atar Roasted Cauliflower, to name just a few.

My first impression is that this book contains many easy to prepare vegan comfort foods from around the world. As soon as I have time to actually make the recipes, I'll post reviews of those. I also plan to buy a hard copy of the book once I won't have to wait 1-3 weeks for it to be shipped. I like having the kindle version to peruse on break at work, and the hard copy for actually making the recipes.


I don't know when they updated the "Look Inside" on Amazon but when I looked it was just the introductory chapters with no list of recipes or index. It's good to know that's changed!

Thanks for your first impressions. I for one would love to read your thoughts on the recipes when you have time to get to them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:43 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1014
I still don't see the index on Amazon.com (US Amazon). There is a table of contents included in their preview but it just lets us know the chapter headings and not the recipe names.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:25 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 11:42 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Oklahoma
LFL wrote:
I still don't see the index on Amazon.com (US Amazon). There is a table of contents included in their preview but it just lets us know the chapter headings and not the recipe names.


I wonder if it's your browser? I can see it on the US Amazon page just fine and I'm using Safari.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:21 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:47 pm
Posts: 325
Location: Kansas
Is this an updated version of any of her older books? I already have Vegan Planet and several of her other books, so I only want this if it's completely new.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:05 am 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 am
Posts: 367
I think this is brand new

_________________
http://tastespace.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:20 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1014
Iselia wrote:
LFL wrote:
I still don't see the index on Amazon.com (US Amazon). There is a table of contents included in their preview but it just lets us know the chapter headings and not the recipe names.


I wonder if it's your browser? I can see it on the US Amazon page just fine and I'm using Safari.



I figured out what it was! I was looking at the preview of the kindle book, and not the preview of the print book. They are different.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:01 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:17 pm
Posts: 344
It looks like the Amazon Prime price has dropped a bit, from $30 to $25.40. Temptation is setting in. I wish there were a few recipes available on the look inside feature, though - the only one I see is for vegetable broth.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:06 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1014
zinnia wrote:
It looks like the Amazon Prime price has dropped a bit, from $30 to $25.40. Temptation is setting in. I wish there were a few recipes available on the look inside feature, though - the only one I see is for vegetable broth.


There are a couple recipes posted on Robertson's website -- hopefully she'll post more.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:18 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:42 am
Posts: 753
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
It's funny how you look forward to buying a certain cookbook, but then find when you first flick through it that nothing really inspires you. I felt that way recently when I bought Vegan Tacos. I'm sure I'll eventually make something, but it hasn't been love at first sight. In contrast, I bought Vegan Without Borders a couple of days ago and have already made three things: Umbrian Lentil Salad, Orzo and Chickpea Salad, and Chickpea Nuggets. All have been absolutely delicious, and there are many more recipes I'd like to try. The chickpea nuggets have a really great texture, it's a very good seitan recipe, and the lentil salad is very tasty (I served it at a family dinner and even a staunch lentil-hater loved it). The orzo salad is in the fridge waiting for tonight's dinner.

I really like the accessibility of Robin's books. Most times the recipes are uncomplicated, and the ingredients easy to find - unlike some of the other cookbooks I have with an international focus - without the authenticity being too comprimised. Also, I'm really happy to see the recipes sorted by region. I find Robin's recipes to be very reliable and solid. My only peeve has been the recipes in Fire & Spicy that aren't very hot at all, so I'll be interested to try the Asian recipes in VWB. Actually, some of the recipes in Nut Universe are nice and spicy, so I'm hopeful these will be too.

Weirdly, I own pretty much all of her books except Vegan Planet - everyone seems to have that! One of my very favourites is 1000 Vegan Recipes. It's the most comprehensive cookbook I own, and I've yet to make any dud "filler" recipes, they're all good.

I have the Kindle edition of VWB and it's easy to navigate and linked throughout, including the index. It boggles my mind when new books are released without a linked index, or worse, no index at all.

Tomorrow I might try the Pate au Champignon as I have some mushrooms I need to use, and I love French food. I'm still pretty much lingering in the European section.

_________________
Magic Jelly
Vegan Jamboree


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:19 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:42 am
Posts: 753
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oh I forgot! Lots and lots of gorgeous colour photos - although I'd still love to see a cookbook with full page glossy photos for every recipe.

_________________
Magic Jelly
Vegan Jamboree


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:29 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1014
Karena wrote:
In contrast, I bought Vegan Without Borders a couple of days ago and have already made three things: Umbrian Lentil Salad, Orzo and Chickpea Salad, and Chickpea Nuggets. All have been absolutely delicious, and there are many more recipes I'd like to try. The chickpea nuggets have a really great texture, it's a very good seitan recipe, and the lentil salad is very tasty (I served it at a family dinner and even a staunch lentil-hater loved it). The orzo salad is in the fridge waiting for tonight's dinner.

I really like the accessibility of Robin's books. Most times the recipes are uncomplicated, and the ingredients easy to find - unlike some of the other cookbooks I have with an international focus - without the authenticity being too comprimised. Also, I'm really happy to see the recipes sorted by region. I find Robin's recipes to be very reliable and solid. My only peeve has been the recipes in Fire & Spicy that aren't very hot at all, so I'll be interested to try the Asian recipes in VWB. Actually, some of the recipes in Nut Universe are nice and spicy, so I'm hopeful these will be too.

Weirdly, I own pretty much all of her books except Vegan Planet - everyone seems to have that! One of my very favourites is 1000 Vegan Recipes. It's the most comprehensive cookbook I own, and I've yet to make any dud "filler" recipes, they're all good.

I have the Kindle edition of VWB and it's easy to navigate and linked throughout, including the index. It boggles my mind when new books are released without a linked index, or worse, no index at all.

Tomorrow I might try the Pate au Champignon as I have some mushrooms I need to use, and I love French food. I'm still pretty much lingering in the European section.


Thanks Karena. I'm really tempted to purchase this now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:33 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:38 am
Posts: 75
I'm so excited about this cookbook. Just made the Chickpea and Kale Wat with pearl couscous. Delicious! And it's the first proper food (rather than processed garbage) I've had in weeks. It's a new and special feeling. I love RR's cookbooks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:39 am 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:38 am
Posts: 75
Have made the Tuscan White Bean soup and the Stay-In Fried Rice also. Both excellent!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:40 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 6218
Location: United States of New England
i got this for Xmas and have already bookmarked a bunch of things i want to make. it's such a pretty cookbook.

im not sure how i feel about the layout. at first i didnt like how it was divided by region (though i understand why it is based on the title). i usually look for things based on what they are (app, meal, veg, etc). i dont ever really think "i want to cook some Mexican food tonight!" usually that's how i feel when i want to go out to eat. that being said as i flipped through it i definitely got more of an appreciation for the layout and enjoyed seeing foods from each region of the world.

cant wait to try some things

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:33 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 6218
Location: United States of New England
i made the panang curry from this last night and something wasnt quite right. i LOOOOVE Thai curries but something was off. i think it was my fault though. instead of white mushrooms i used cremini mushrooms i had leftover from something else. after much though i think the sauce tasted too mushroomy. i would definitely recommend NOT subbing different mushrooms.

ive also never used dried chilies before and i used only one since i am a spice wuss and was nervous it would be too spicy but i think i could have put in two.

other than that it was good. i pan fried some tofu instead of using jackfruit since i have yet to find young jackfruit.
i also added broccoli which was yummy. i added extra soy sauce and sriacha to my portion which helped cover up the extra mushroomy-ness

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:22 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1014
After asking for it for Christmas, I was given Vegan Without Borders as a holiday gift, but I think I may have reached a point of saturation with Robin Robertson's cookbooks. She's very prolific, and I own a number of her works, including:

Vegan Planet
Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker
1000 Vegan Recipes
Vegan Fire and Spice
Vegan on the Cheap
Nut Butter Universe
Party Vegan
Quick Fix Vegetarian
Quick Fix Vegan
More Quick Fix Vegan
Vegan Without Borders


As I paged through Vegan Without Borders, I felt disappointed. It wasn't that the recipes didn't look good. They did. It's just that they were in the style of other recipes I already have in her earlier cookbooks. I had expected the book to be more authentic to the cuisines surveyed in it, but instead it's more of the fusion cooking style she always uses. Which is a very good style, but I think I may finally be tired of it.

I'll add that I find myself cooking out of her "Quick Fix" cookbooks, Quick Fix Vegan especially, more than the others. If she comes out with another of those, I may purchase, but otherwise, I'll try to stick to the ones I already own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Without Borders
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:25 am 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 6218
Location: United States of New England
here's what ive made from this book so far. i also have a bunch of stuff bookmarked for this week.
i dont know what's going on with me lately but ive been off my cooking game so all the screwups i note are mine and not the recipe.

winter vegetables with horseradish sauce-yum! really good, pretty simple and easy to make. i would add more horseradish to the horseradish sauce for more of a kick

migas burritos-good. i dont know how authentic migas is or whats in it or how it tastes but we likes this. our only complaint is the filling was a bit bland. i would kick up the seasoning and salt on the seasoning next time.

mojito roasted sweet potatoes-good and easy to make!

manchurian cauliflower-good! i would say dont cut the cauliflower too small or it will fall apart in the batter. same thing with steaming. dont steam it too long or it will fall apart in the batter. these came out super nice. im not good at frying things with batter so i was pleased when these came out like described.

bangkok street cart noodles-good! i think i put too much tamarind in the sauce and it was more tangy than i wanted but overall good.

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], psbot [Picsearch] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer