| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joy of Vegan Baking
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

cstadt wrote:
My favorites from this book are the corn bread...

I actually have all the ingredients to make this! Have been tidying my books and realised a friend gave me this book and I've never made anything from it. Good to get all the tips from this thread, will report back when I have some to add.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:03 am 
Saggy Butt

I just made the banana chocolate chip muffins. They were pretty good, rose nicely and very fluffy, but I think the outsides were just too soft for my liking. I'm used to muffins with a crunchy outside. Maybe I should have cooked them longer, although they were golden brown; I think it might be because there was so much baking soda and no baking powder. I'll see how they are tomorrow, maybe the soft exteriors will be good in the long run. Also there were too many chocolate chips for me. But it's a good recipe if you have a bunch of over-ripe bananas, because it uses 4! And my dad asked me if I used eggs in them, I said no, and he said "well how did you get them to rise then?" Even though he knows I've been vegan for years and everything I bake is vegan. His verdict: "Grade A vegan muffins". hehe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:32 am 
Nooch of Earl

lavegan wrote:
I just made the banana chocolate chip muffins. They were pretty good, rose nicely and very fluffy, but I think the outsides were just too soft for my liking. I'm used to muffins with a crunchy outside. Maybe I should have cooked them longer, although they were golden brown; I think it might be because there was so much baking soda and no baking powder. I'll see how they are tomorrow, maybe the soft exteriors will be good in the long run. Also there were too many chocolate chips for me. But it's a good recipe if you have a bunch of over-ripe bananas, because it uses 4! And my dad asked me if I used eggs in them, I said no, and he said "well how did you get them to rise then?" Even though he knows I've been vegan for years and everything I bake is vegan. His verdict: "Grade A vegan muffins". hehe

Agreed - I made these with half the called-for chips because my husband's not a big chocolate fan, and they still seemed like they had a lot of chocolate in them to me. I only had a couple of bananas so I subbed a one-serving container of apple sauce for the rest and they came out well. I really make the muffin and pancake recipes in this book more than anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:49 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'm thinking of buying this book, and I see in this thread that there are lots of positive reviews but also quite a few negative....would you all recommend I buy this book, or not? I have a selection of cookbooks I want to buy but I have quite a limited amount of funds so I want to make sure my purchase is as informed as it can be!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

I would recommend it, but I haven't tried any of the recipes that others had trouble with. I've only made a few, but they've all come out great: lemon bars, crepes + blintzes, and the banana chocolate chip muffins. I think the lemon bars alone are worth the price of the book, although supposedly you can find the recipe on google books or amazon. I think if you stay away from the quick breads, you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:28 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I haven't had a problem with any of the recipes, so go for it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:12 pm 

Excellent, thank you for the advice!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:18 pm 
Cranky

There are more consistent vegan baking books out there. I don't like buying books when I'm not confident the recipes will turn out well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:23 pm 

What other ones are there that are good? I have Isa's cupcake and cookie books, but obviously those are all cupcakes and cookies, so I am wanting to branch out a bit!
(Sorry, I'm not trying to derail the thread, I can start a new one if this is derailing it too much!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:08 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

We're making the pumpkin cheesecake from JoVB for thanksgiving tomorrow - hope it's good. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm a huge cookbook nerd and i'm (you're going to think i'm neurotic when i say this) currently cooking all of the recipes in this cookbook. I have had success with about 3/4s of the recipes in this book. My rugelach SUCKED, and the cheesecakes so far have been cracking on top like crazy, BUTTT on the other hand, my tofu-phobic boyfriend has yet to even question whether or not something was vegan, even though the cookbooks have been living out on my counter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:57 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I made the apple pie for Thanksgiving, and while the taste was good, it had issues. You are supposed to bake it at 425 for a while, then turn the heat down to 350 for 30-45 minutes more. When I went to turn the heat down, the crust was already burning so I had to cover it with foil (I suppose that's a fairly common problem), and even though I did only 30 minutes for the second part, the inside was basically apple sauce. Maybe it's supposed to be? But I like when the apples stay as apples.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ashley wrote:
I LOVE the bran muffins in this book. That's actually the only recipe I've tried, but I've made it multiple times. I always have to add a lot more liquid than the recipe calls for, though.

I'm rescinding this comment because I just tried to make these muffins using the weights given in the book, rather than volume measurements (as I've always used before), and the amounts did not work AT ALL. 250g of bran does not equal 2.5 cups. Not even close!

Either this is a typo or the author didn't bother to test the recipe this way. Either way, I'm irritated. Don't include the conversion unless you're sure it works both ways!

Still haven't made anything else from the book.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:33 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

ashley wrote:

Either this is a typo or the author didn't bother to test the recipe this way. Either way, I'm irritated. Don't include the conversion unless you're sure it works both ways!

Unfortunately it is not a typo. There are several mistakes when it comes to weights. I don't think the recipes were measured that way. I always use the cup measurements.

We recently made the so called German apple cake. It was a huge hit and it is also great with pears.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mihl wrote:
ashley wrote:

Unfortunately it is not a typo. There are several mistakes when it comes to weights. I don't think the recipes were measured that way. I always use the cup measurements.

Good to know, Mihl. If I make anything else from the book, I'll be sure to measure by volume (not that the volume measurements are even necessarily correct, as is the case with the bran muffins!).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I edited the apple cobbler recipe a bit this weekend to make maple-apple-fig cobbler and it was a success! Nom.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just came looking for a thread on this, I made the chocolate peanut butter pie using the weights given and ended up with a pie and a half worth of filling. Luckily I had an extra pie crust so I was able to change it to two slightly under-filled pies, but I'm glad to know it's likely the weights are off, and not my error.

Making a mental note to use volume measurements next time.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:47 am 
Saggy Butt

i made the hearty spiced cocoa muffins yesterday. HOLYYYYY these are amazing! i used dark chocolate baking cocoa, and had just bought new cayenne and cinnamon from penzeys, so the spice combination is out of control! i also used an entire bag of chocolate chips and no nuts. so maybe a little overboard. if i had one complaint, it would be that this is definitely more cake or cupcake than muffin.

i also made them half as regular sized muffins and half in a mini muffin tin, because it's HILARIOUSSSS watching my 6'6" boyfriend eat tiny muffins.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've made a lot of recipes from this cookbook.

I make the hearty spiced cocoa muffins as a Christmas present for the people I work with every year, it's an office tradition now. They always report back that they've shared them with family and everyone's loved them.

I've made the banana chocolate chip muffins and blueberry lemon muffins, subsituting soy yogurt for the oil in the recipe and they've both been really good. I always use half whole wheat flour and half white too.

The chocolate cake is really good and was my daughter's birthday cake a couple of years in a row. I double the recipe and bake it in a 9x13 pan.

I made the blueberry orange bundt cake for a party a few years ago and it was fantastic. Everyone raved about it (they didn't know it was vegan).

We had the cinnamon coffee cake for Christmas brunch last year and it's amazing. I left off the crumble topping to make it quicker and lower in fat and just sprinkled it with cinnamon-sugar instead.

I liked the strawberry cupcakes but my daughter didn't.

The chocolate peanut butter cupcakes are delicious.

I made the chocolate brownies (with lots of chopped up chocolate and pecans) for my birthday last year and they are incredible. They use applesauce instead of oil or margarine and you wouldn't be able to tell. They're huge and so rich-tasting.

I've been meaning to try the waffles for ages. I bought a waffle iron at least 5 years ago and still haven't used it!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:23 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Amy wrote:
I made the apple pie for Thanksgiving, and while the taste was good, it had issues. You are supposed to bake it at 425 for a while, then turn the heat down to 350 for 30-45 minutes more. When I went to turn the heat down, the crust was already burning so I had to cover it with foil (I suppose that's a fairly common problem), and even though I did only 30 minutes for the second part, the inside was basically apple sauce. Maybe it's supposed to be? But I like when the apples stay as apples.

I find this recipe, and the recipe for whole wheat bread are like that. Just bake it for the first part, omit the "turn down and keep baking" part. Otherwise you'll end up with burnt pie and rock hard dry bread.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:08 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the banana choco chip muffins yesterday because I had a bunch of almost rotten bananas and I strangely couldn’t find a banana bread recipe in any of my cookbooks. They came out really great. They are super moist and yummy. I like the texture because it’s not super dry and “muffin-y” it’s nice and moist and yummy.

I will say though this book seems like it was thrown together.
The directions say “bake for 20-30 minutes” that seems like an insanely huge margin of error. I mean who gives a 10 minute window?
And then it says to fill the muffin tins halfway and it will make 12 muffins. I found that nearly impossible. Since the batter was chunky with bananas, walnuts, and choco chips it ended up being like ¾ full for each tin and I think I ended up with 18 muffins (not a complaint!) and they were all pretty small so I feel like I could have filled them all more.
Ive also had nothing but serious issues with the pumpkin pie recipe in this book, I tried it several times last year and everytime it needed to cook WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY longer than the receipe said and it still never really came out right. im not using the pumpkin pie recipe again because it was so frustrating.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:03 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Meccabell wrote:
This book is a go-to for me on a bunch.

This is a go-to book for me, too. Some of the recipes I make often include the Chocolate Mousse (with or without optional ingredients and sometimes served as a pie in a graham cracker crust), Flaky Pie Crust, Raspberry Oatmeal Bars, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and Peanut Butter Cookies. For what it is worth, an omnivore friend of mine who is a trained pastry chef asked for the PB cookie recipe after I served them to her!

Thus far, the only thing that I have tried in the Joy of Vegan Baking that I've not cared for is the Mediterranean Olive Bread. The recipe turned out fine but I guess I prefer those flavors in yeast risen bread.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:23 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Has no one made the melonpan? I made it ages ago when I had this book out from the library http://veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com.es ... onpan.html

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:40 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I made the date bars, which were good. Looking forward to trying more from this cookbook

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Melopan! That makes me wish to get the book. I mean, how many baking cookbooks have melonpan?

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next