| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Joy of Vegan Baking
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:37 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

The banana chocolate chip muffins were awesome! Brought half a dozen to work today and they were very quickly scarfed down by my very non-vegan colleagues (who didn't even guess that they were vegan)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:24 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've discovered another recipe that doesn't need to bake nearly as long as it says in the instrustions- fig date bread. I set the timer for 55 minutes, and after 30, it smelled like burning.
It was supposed to be in for another 25 minutes. Glad I was paying attention.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:54 pm 
Chip Strong

I've made a few things from this book and they've all turned out to be edible, but not great. I also don't like the fact that the recipes call for commercial egg replacer so often as well as it's not something that's easy or cheap to come by where I live. I have a couple of other vegan baking books that I much prefer so I think I'll be getting rid of this one.

I know I've not done a great job of talking it up, but if anyone wants to buy my copy off me (£5 + P&P to wherever you are in the world from Scotland) send me a PM.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:56 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I should have read this thread before getting this book. Now Im really not so sure if I want to use it at all :/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:23 am 
Nooch of Earl

Egg replacer is more or less tapioca starch, so I just sub that. Or cornstarch in a pinch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:55 am 
Bathes in Braggs

So I gather I should make the corn bread and the apple cake?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:25 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I always make cornbread using this recipe. I think it's great, although I do add a bit more oil. The apple cake is also quite nice. Simple but good.
Other hits have been the pear tart with shortbread crust, banana muffins, both of the chocolate no-bake mousse pies, the baklava, I think there's a good orange cake, the sauces (fudge, lemon..)...and I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of.
Yeah, I like this book, but I avoid the egg-replacer recipes. There is still plenty to make.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:25 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I loved the chocolate mousse with almond extract.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

There is a blueberry bundt cake in that book which is our goto entertaining recipe. Everyone loves it. I have made most of the pies and they all work and set properly and are very tasty. Really never had a fail from that book. Usually if I am making cookies or cake I will consult that book or VCTOTW/ VCIYCJ and just make whichever recipe has the shortest list of ingredients or comes together faster. I don't mind commercial egg replacer, although it probably would've been more user friendly to suggest a starch product in those places + more leavener instead. I find that product pretty helpful and accessible for non-vegans, though. Even my mother keeps a box of it around and can bake from that book easily.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My mother-in-law bought this book with the intention of, someday, baking me stuff - but she never cooks, so after like 3 years I swiped it. I probably wouldn't have bought it myself, having read mixed reviews on here and on Amazon - it's certainly never going to be a book I cook my way through, but having paid attention to said reviews and steered clear of the recipes people didn't seem to like, I probably have it out once a week, usually for muffin purposes. My kid would eat nothing but her banana muffins given the choice; I really like the spiced cocoa ones (I add nuts and a chocolate glaze) and I think there's a coffee- or mocha-flavored one that's really good too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:55 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Imogen wrote:
I've made a few things from this book and they've all turned out to be edible, but not great. I also don't like the fact that the recipes call for commercial egg replacer so often as well as it's not something that's easy or cheap to come by where I live. I have a couple of other vegan baking books that I much prefer so I think I'll be getting rid of this one.

I feel the same way about this book - it was a christmas gift from my mom quite a few years ago now, and I've barely used it and what I have made has been pretty bleh. There's a lemon bundt cake in there, maybe with some coconut? that I tried once instead of the one in veganomicon (which is amazing). It was so bland and gross and just tasted kind of like cooked flour. The one exception for me is the Mexican wedding cookies - I make them every christmas - and that recipe is really just butter, pecans, flour and sugar. I should really just copy that page and get rid of the book because it's just taking up space.

Side note on the commercial egg replacer, I feel the same away about recipes that list it. I was all for commercial egg replacer when I was first learning to bake vegan in 2002 (to this day my #1 favorite vegan chocolate chip cookies are from the recipe on the back of the tollhouse chocolate chips bag, just veganized with soy milk, egg replacer and earth balance) but now it just feels like lazy recipe writing. Two christmases ago I was given not one but TWO copies of that vegan christmas cookies cookbook and it seems like every single recipe lists ener-g egg replacer. Blah.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:27 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Has anyone tried the Strawberry pie with pecan crust? I'm looking to make it because it sounds good and I love strawberry pie.

I've only made the banana chocolate chip muffins. They were delicious.