| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Vegan Stoner
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:22 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Has anyone purchased The Vegan Stoner cookbook? Or even seen it in person? I know it's not high-falootin' fare, and I'm sure many of the recipes aren't news to anyone here, but I've been looking at the blog today and the little stoned vegetables are so cute and I'd like to support the authors. Plus sometime I need ideas for fast, throw it together type food and some days attempting something from Vcon is like asking me to step in as head chef of a fancy restaurant.

So I'm just curious if the content comes across as adorable in person as it does online.

Post subject: Re: The Vegan Stoner
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:33 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I have this book right now. It's cute and very artistic. There is so many cool drawings to keep your attention, in fact the book is in my 7 year old daughters room right now because he love the pictures. Does that make me a bad mom? In my defence she thinks the joints are hot carrots (she told me this).

However the recipes don't impress me. They are more like non-recipes. It might give a new vegan or a college student some ideas but the recipes are very basic and in my opinion are for very new and inexperienced cooks. There are in no way comparable to anything in Veganomicon or even Isa Does it, not even close

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:46 pm 
Chard Martyr

It's so cute! I'd buy it to support the artist but maybe not for any culinary purpose. I feel like it is great for kids and no, I don't think anyone would be a bad mum to use it for children's cooking projects. It's not like they call for pot!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

I love it for what it is! I haven't bought it yet, but I use the website all the time, and I flipped through the book last time I was at a bookstore. It's super cute, and great if you need ideas for a really quick meal. Sometimes, even IDI type meals are too much, and all I want is to throw a bunch of shiitake in a pot.

My square self was a bit surprised, though. The website doesn't really reference anything pot-related except "stoned soy" products and what-not. . . And of course, the name. But the book has joints everywhere and even a recipe for "herb oil"!! I found it highly amusing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:37 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I ordered it for my boyfriend for Christmas. I think the the blog's cute even though it's not exactly complex. While the boyfriend can cook, quite often when he gets home from work, if we're not hanging out, he won't make a proper dinner just for himself. Plus, he kind of is a vegan stoner so I thought it'd be funny.

Anyway, it hasn't arrived yet, but I'll let ye know what I think of it once it does.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:10 am 
Cranky

I saw it in a bookstore. The illustrations are cute, but the recipes weren't interesting to me and I'm predisposed to dislike anything with "stoner" in the title. I can imagine it would be good for lots of other people, though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I want it, but not enough to buy it. I think it would be a cute Christmas gift.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:42 pm 
Chard Martyr

My mother is obsessed with the Vegan Stoner blog and likes to make me stuff from it for our Sunday dinners. I'm all for anything that makes my mom want to cook for me!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:17 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

it is cute, the recipes are simple (some too simple & need extra spices)....most of te recipes if not all are on/from the blog.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:16 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I just bought the Vegan Stoner Snack Book. I'd recommend that if you're looking for short and simple, but just as cute as the website. I'm going to give it to an omni friend for solstice. You can get it through their website.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I like how accessible the recipes are to people who don't cook. And I like that Urban Outfitters carries their cookbook. I agree that it's not *that* great but it's better than anything my friends are cooking. Good for college kids.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:23 am 
Baking In The Flavor

It's one of my favourite blogs! When I first became vegan, I couldn't cook AT ALL and I don't earn much money so it was a lot more accessible than recipes calling for 20 different ingredients just to make a burger. I love the illustrations and that's what first drew me to the blog. I agree it's ideal for college kids, or those of us who are a little lazy in the kitchen.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:22 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

julialegume wrote:
I like how accessible the recipes are to people who don't cook.

Rosie wrote:
It's one of my favourite blogs! When I first became vegan, I couldn't cook AT ALL and I don't earn much money so it was a lot more accessible than recipes calling for 20 different ingredients just to make a burger. I love the illustrations and that's what first drew me to the blog.

Reporting in to say I ordered this for my brother and SIL for xmas; neither of them are seasoned cooks, both are omnis, and both lean increasingly toward a vegan lifestyle (especially when they come visit me and enjoy all my offerings, thanx to Isa, Terri, Julie Hasson, etc).

My SIL immediately fell in LOVE with this book! It's so engaging, adorable, the illustrations are so funny and creative, and the recipes are each on ONE PAGE, which a photo of the completed recipe, illustrations of each ingredient, and some basic steps (and premade/store-bought conveniences). She told me several times that she was SO excited for the book, that this was her kinda food and cooking style - just a few ingredients, not complicated.

While a few of the recipes are, indeed, something one could only enjoy in an, um, altered state (banana hot dog? blech), I think this is a fabulous choice for any novice cook with an eye toward veg cooking. So charming, there is no room for intimidation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

I bought this, as some people have said its a beautiful book, some recipes are great and others leave a lot to be desired. I made a few things from it on my blog: http://vegan-fire.blogspot.co.uk/2013/1 ... toner.html

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Facebook

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:50 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I got this for my uncle. Is it bad that i made a recipe from it before giving it to me? I was looking through it and saw the frosted animal crackers. I had to make them, as frosted animal crackers are one thing i miss a lot. It was very tasty and easy.
It's cute for sure. He said the recipes were right about his caliber.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]