| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:12 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I tried out the toasted coconut cupcakes with coffee buttercream and found they were indeed dense and didn't really rise. They are basically half-cupcakes. The icing was awesome though! (And I didn't have coffee extract so I just used the same amount of espresso powder - turned out perfect!) I'm going to just do basic chocolate with that icing.

Has anyone had good results with making the golden vanilla or basic chocolate, or any other recipe in this book, as minis? I would like to try them but am not sure how long I would need to bake them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:26 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I made the s'mores cupcakes as minis last week. I generally bake all minis for 15 minutes. If it's a thin batter, you can check after 12 and see how they're coming along.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:37 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Thanks, I'll give it a shot! :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:40 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes ... made a batch yesterday as a friend came round mid afternoon for a cup of tea (and some advice on getting central heating for his house) ... I ate two, my husband & the aforementioned friend ate the rest ... they were delicious ...

he wanted to know if I had bought a pumpkin from the market but I advised that one can get tins of pumpkin from Waitrose ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:03 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the lemon macadamia a few weeks ago with the white chocolate chips. So good! I think I didn't grind the macadamias enough (the ones that go in the batter) because I had a lot of chunks of nuts and that made the overall product super crumbly. But they were really good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:15 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

One of my favorites is the Chai Latte Cupcakes recipe - simply perfect!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Did anyone here catch John Oliver's Last Week Tonight on HBO this past Sunday? It was a great show except that he dissed vegan cupcakes. I wish I could remember the crack he made, and I can't find it online. But I really wanted to send him a copy of VCTOTW!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:11 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The other day I made the chocolate cupcakes and frosted them with the fluffy peanut butter frosting (I don't remember the exact name). I doubled all ingredients for the frosting except the powdered sugar and that gave me a perfectly fluffy, not too sweet frosting that fit 12 cupcakes just perfectly. Of course in this case it was not neccessary to add any liquid. Oh, and I also added some cinnamon and that is a really great match. Also, it works with chunky PB just as well (that's all I had).

Also, those chocolate cupcakes are perfection!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:20 pm 
Semen Strong

LFL wrote:
Did anyone here catch John Oliver's Last Week Tonight on HBO this past Sunday? It was a great show except that he dissed vegan cupcakes. I wish I could remember the crack he made, and I can't find it online. But I really wanted to send him a copy of VCTOTW!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:22 pm 
Semen Strong

"Let's just agree that "Breaking news out of Ferguson" has become one of the most dread inducing phrases in the English language, along with "Dr Phil Sextape" and "Vegan Cupcakes." :)

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Okay, rude. If you don't have good vegan cake in your town, just tune into Cupcake Wars. I swear 4/5 episodes feature a vegan baker and the judges always comment that they're so good you'd never know something was "missing." Sigh.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:39 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Does anyone know if I can sub applesauce for yogurt in these recipes without affecting the texture too much? I'm wanting to make the Rosewater Pistachio cupcakes NOW, but don't have any yogurt around.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:28 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Too late to help you yesterday, but if you have extra milk you can curdle it with vinegar as a sub for yogurt. I'm not a fan of baking with applesauce (gummy) so I wouldn't risk it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:32 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The Peanut Butter Bombs are life changing. I made them for my birthday and no one could believe they were vegan. And then people tried to ruin it by asking me how I made them and I just kept mumbling "I followed a recipe..." because everyone starts looking like I poisoned them whenever I mention apple cider vinegar and curdling soy milk. Just...don't ask, you don't understand, just eat your cupcake.

But seriously, I'm in love with these cupcakes and can't wait to come up with an excuse to make them again!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

femmefocale wrote:
The Peanut Butter Bombs are life changing. I made them for my birthday and no one could believe they were vegan. And then people tried to ruin it by asking me how I made them and I just kept mumbling "I followed a recipe..." because everyone starts looking like I poisoned them whenever I mention apple cider vinegar and curdling soy milk. Just...don't ask, you don't understand, just eat your cupcake.

But seriously, I'm in love with these cupcakes and can't wait to come up with an excuse to make them again!

Agreed. Other than the Tiramisu Cupcakes (the only recipe in the book that I like better) the Peanut Butter Bombs are probably the recipe I've made most often. And they're even better with the optional chocolate extract! Since I discovered this, I've been making a habit of adding chocolate extract to chocolate cakes.

I've also twice made the PB Bombs recipe with hazelnut butter substituted for peanut butter (not chocolate hazelnut butter, plain, natural hazelnut butter). It is a big pain to get the frosting texture right when I do this, though once I do, the results are yummy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12