| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Boyfriend and I have a silly tradition where when one of us travels for work, the other bakes a welcome home cake- it works out well for me, since I travel more than he does! I had an interstate trip last week and when I came home he'd made the peanut butter cupcakes. They sank a little, but that was because he opened the oven to look at them (he's still learning a few of the baking no-nos!). They still tasted great though! I was suitably impressed, and they more than made up for me not getting anything to eat at the catered work lunch nor on either of the two flights I had to take to get home.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the golden cupcakes (with added cocoa powder) with coconut oil frosting (I used the books chocolate butter icing but subbed coconut oil for the fat). I baked it 30mins instead of the 20 recommended. I think it's the best cake I've ever made, pregan days included. It was for my boy's 8th birthday so that was a relief!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Erinnerung wrote:
Boyfriend and I have a silly tradition where when one of us travels for work, the other bakes a welcome home cake- it works out well for me, since I travel more than he does! I had an interstate trip last week and when I came home he'd made the peanut butter cupcakes. They sank a little, but that was because he opened the oven to look at them (he's still learning a few of the baking no-nos!). They still tasted great though! I was suitably impressed, and they more than made up for me not getting anything to eat at the catered work lunch nor on either of the two flights I had to take to get home.

That's an awesome tradition!

We've made the peanut butter cupcakes so many times, and they've never sank for us. They're so delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:20 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

The chocolate cupcake recipe is the best cake I've ever made! I can't wait for my birthday so I have an excuse to make it again:D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made my first recipe from Isa (about time too): Green Tea Cupcakes. I put half whole-wheat flour and used coconut yogurt and soy milk, and they're both delicious and pretty!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:58 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm wanting to make a carrot cake today, and the only recipe books I have with carrot cakes in are this one or The Joy of Vegan Baking. I've been scouring the forum and it seems like everyone recommends the VWaV carrot cake but I don't have that, although I understand it has lots of add ins and I'm just looking for a simple carrot cake, which this one looks like, however one post mentioned an error with the liquids? Any input before I start grating would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:16 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I used to love this book but haven't used it since I went gluten free! Has anyone had any success converting the recipes to gluten free?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:42 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

VeganBeckles wrote:
I used to love this book but haven't used it since I went gluten free! Has anyone had any success converting the recipes to gluten free?

I made a gluten free version of the tiramisu cupcakes once, and they were good but not great. I used one of the gluten free versions of the basic vanilla cupcake with the corn flower. The corn taste was a bit strong for me, and if I had to do it again, I would use almond meal instead (another suggestion in the cookbook). I've also made the tiramisu cupcakes using the usual (wheat flour) recipe, and they have come out sublime -- my favorite cupcake in the book of the ten or so I've tried. So I'd say if you like tiramisu, it's worth it to try the GF version using almond meal, but at least for that particular cupcake, I'd stay away from corn flour.

Incidentally, on another occasion I've also discovered that for the tiramisu flavor to come out right, I have to use real Kalhua -- another coffee liquor didn't work as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the gluten free chocolate cupcakes from this book and they were good. It was my first time with gluten-free baking and everything went as planned, so I was mighty impressed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:38 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Me too. I just made the chocolate GF cupcakes last week, and they came out great. They are a little dried and denser than the classic chocolate ones, but I think I actually might like the taste more! That might just be because I made them mint chocolate though (essence in the cupcakes, and frosted like the mint chocolate cupcake recipe in the book). I've done a bit of GF baking but never cupcakes so I was really happy with how they turned out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:41 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'm looking forward to trying the GF chocolate cupcakes now!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:33 pm 
Semen Strong

How far in advance can you make cupcakes? If I want to serve them on Sunday at 4, could I bake them the night before and just frost on Sunday?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:38 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yes, definitely. you could frost them the night before, too. just refrigerate and then let them come back to room temp before serving.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:42 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Definitely! Even two days ahead isn't crazy with some of them, I've found.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks! I am a really nervous baker, and having a cushion of time will be crucial to my mental health :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:40 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

so far I have made the chocolate and vanilla basic cupcakes - both winners. I have also made the vanilla with added orange zest (to both the cupcake and frosting) for a creamsicle flavor - those were my favorites so far!

would like to make the pumpkin cupcakes minus the chocolate chips for Thanksgiving (chocolate and pumpkin does not do it for me). will that mess up the yield at all?

also, not sure if I want to use the cinnamon frosting recipe it suggests (sounds like more of a glaze). thinking of either using a cream cheese frosting or adding cinnamon to the regular fluffy vanilla buttercream.

any suggestions are welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:05 pm 

There's a lot of chocolate chips, so it might yield a cupcake less. . . Or produce more shallow cupcakes.

When I made them, I added the recommended cinnamon from the cinnamon frosting to the cream cheese icing. It was DELICIOUS.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:33 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

oddspongeout wrote:
There's a lot of chocolate chips, so it might yield a cupcake less. . . Or produce more shallow cupcakes.

When I made them, I added the recommended cinnamon from the cinnamon frosting to the cream cheese icing. It was DELICIOUS.

Yes to all of this. However, I recently made these with a cinnamon-y fluffy vanilla frosting and that was really good! So I don't think you can go wrong with either that or the cream cheese icing!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:31 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

beethecookie wrote:
oddspongeout wrote:

Yes to all of this. However, I recently made these with a cinnamon-y fluffy vanilla frosting and that was really good! So I don't think you can go wrong with either that or the cream cheese icing!

so do you recommend these as far as pumpkin cupcakes go? the other recipe I was looking at was the one from 500 Vegan Recipes.

(and does everyone like them with the chocolate chips? since I am making for the holiday if everyone does seem to like them, maybe I should give it a shot...)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:59 am 

Yes, I totally recommend these pumpkin cupcakes! I have 500 VR but I've never made pumpkin cupcakes from it. I think the chocolate chips do add a fun twist and I personally love them in this. But if you think it's too out-there I think they'll still be good without them!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:12 pm 

They were delicious with them! It's a combo you might not expect to work, but it definitely does.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:46 am 

oddspongeout wrote:
They were delicious with them! It's a combo you might not expect to work, but it definitely does.

Yay!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:11 am 
Inflexitarian

on Monday last I took into work to cheer up a colleague from Hungary who boyfriend (also Hungarian) was away on business for a week the Hazelnut Cupcakes with Mocha Hazelnut Mousse Filling ... they are a bit fussy to make (or it might just be me being lazy) but I had bought all the non-standard ingredients so it was in the nature of a test run as I am going to make them for the birthday of my dear mother-in-law whose name is Hazel ... she says a CAKE is too much bother but cupcakes will shine.

oh, the cupcakes were a big hit at work ... all 12 gone before 11 o'clock coffee ... 5 of us in my team ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:35 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

jennifer6789 wrote:
beethecookie wrote:
oddspongeout wrote:

so do you recommend these as far as pumpkin cupcakes go? the other recipe I was looking at was the one from 500 Vegan Recipes.

(and does everyone like them with the chocolate chips? since I am making for the holiday if everyone does seem to like them, maybe I should give it a shot...)

Those pumpkin cupcakes are really good! I haven't made them in a while, but made them for a Halloween/pumpkin carving party a few years ago and frosted them with the cream cheese frosting. I was the only vegan there and they were a huge hit! (I didn't do them with chocolate chips as for some reason as much as I love chocolate I just don't love chocolate chips in non cookie baked goods)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:15 pm 
WELFARIST!

My guy has requested the pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes as his birthday cake, but I want to make them into a layer cake to make it a little more special for him. I've already successfully made a cinnamon buttercream (uh, just added cinnamon to the regular buttercream recipe) that I'm going to use to ice it. But I can never remember (I swear I will write it down this time!) - what's the baking ratio here? Double the recipe for a layer cake? Same temperature, but how much longer in the oven?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next