| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:28 am 
Saggy Butt

It was my birthday yesterday and my Mummy made me a chocolate cake with the VCTOTW mocha mousse topping (variation on the chocolate mousse). It is totally delicious, I just wish she'd used the cake recipe from the book too instead of some random internet one she found.

It was her first time baking vegan though so I was rather proud of her!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:53 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

lauuren wrote:
Has anyone had good luck with the blueberry mousse?

I couldn't get it to stay solid - even after setting up in the fridge a few hours, the liquid all separates out... Help?

Sounds like what's going on here is syneresis, which is the seepage of liquid from an agar gel. This happens when you refrigerate or otherwise chill an agar gel before it's fully cooled to room temperature. If you just let it sit out at room temperature longer next time, you shouldn't have a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:17 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate ganache yesterday and they are SOOO GOOOOOD!!!

originally i was going to make the tiramisu ones at my husband's request til i realized they were alot more complex than where i feel i am as a baker. i wanted to try out with an easier recipe.

they came out amazing!! im going to be the fattest vegan ever!!!!
yum yum yum!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:37 pm 
Tofu Pup

Has anyone made the Banana Split cupcakes and just omitted all the 'split' stuff from them? In other words, just made them into plain banana cupcakes? I'd like to make these for my birthday boy to take to school tomorrow, so I'd love input. Also, if I double the recipe exactly, will the measurements work out and have everything come together? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:01 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Sandra wrote:
Has anyone made the Banana Split cupcakes and just omitted all the 'split' stuff from them? In other words, just made them into plain banana cupcakes? I'd like to make these for my birthday boy to take to school tomorrow, so I'd love input. Also, if I double the recipe exactly, will the measurements work out and have everything come together? Thanks!

Yep! made them without the preserves and they were great.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made my first vegan cupcakes last night - just the basic chocolate with choc buttercream frosting - and I am AMAZED at how good they are.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I've made almost all the cupcakes from VCTOtW, but I hadn't bothered with the chocolate stout ones because they sounded boring. WELL, I made them last week--they are awesome! One of my favorite recipes from the book, I think!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:15 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

oh man best cake bonus ever: I doubled the basic vanilla recipe to make a double-layer cake. I had read somewhere (I think) that the vanilla recipe tends to dome a little as a cake, and that definitely happened..sooo I cut the dome off the bottom layer and hot damn I made the dome part into cake balls! I haven't eaten any yet (after all, we have a double layer cake to eat!) but they are in my freezer and one of these days I'm gonna be sooo stoked to have instant dessert.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:14 am 
ugh

I'm making the peanut butter cupcakes, chai latte cupcakes, and cookies 'n' cream cupcakes this weekend for a bake sale. I've never made any of these before soooo wish me luck!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:57 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I made the Basic Chocolate Cupcake recipe in Mocha variation in cake form. I tripled the recipe for two cake pans, but it turned out to be very thick. I cut each layer in half and made two separate cakes. I iced it with coffee buttercream and the filling was chocolate buttercream. I topped each take with a bit of chocolate ganache. Everyone at my school loved it! One of my friends called it orgasmic.

My sister graduated from the University of Miami last night, so I took the other cake for her at the restaurant after dinner. She was very surprised. She said, "This is actually really good." I think she's finally understanding that vegan baking is awesome (I didn't know it, but when I was experimenting with fat-free baking, she would try it. If I had known I would have told her not to, because that was her first impression of vegan baking), and not tasteless. My family said that it was really good, but really rich.

All in all, everyone loved it. Even my sister's friend, who is a coffee hater! (Can you tell I'm excited?)

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:34 am 
ugh

b.vicious wrote:
I'm making the peanut butter cupcakes, chai latte cupcakes, and cookies 'n' cream cupcakes this weekend for a bake sale. I've never made any of these before soooo wish me luck!

The cookies 'n' cream were most popular because they're so cute (and tasty). I thought the peanut butter cupcakes could have been more peanut butter-y - maybe I'll try a peanut butter frosting next time? My favorite was the chai, though, and I plan on trying the earl grey variation in the future.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:22 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Last month, I celebrated my blog's 2nd birthday with Golden Cupcakes. Oh boy! they were SO soft and delicious cupcakes ever! My hubby and friends couldn't believe that it's free of butter and eggs!! :D I was so happy with my result and definitely making all cupcakes from your suggestions.

http://www.7spice.net/recipe-index/baking/celebrating-birthday-for-two/

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

b.vicious wrote:

I love the peanut butter ones, I've been meaning to make them again for ages. I found the cookies and cream ones too sweet for me, but everyone else who tried them loved them.

Post subject: FROSTING - Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

I was just curious if any of you don't mind sharing with me your secrets with the vegan cupcakes (...take over the world) that you had made.

I tried making them at least twice now but I can't make the frosting to look nicely without making it a bit wet-looking ( because I microwave them to make it easier to whip, otherwise it's too hard) or pipe.

What's your secret? :D Do you use a frosting piper?

If you don't mind sharing, I would extremely appreciate it! They taste so yummy, but they don't look half as good as yours!

Thank you so much in advance.

P.S.: My favorite is Cookies N' Cream Cupcakes. The only ones I've tried. Here's my post:
http://www.vegtaste.com/pages/posting.php?articleId=343

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:15 pm 
Tofu Pup

I LOVE cupcakes. This book inspired me to start experimenting with her recipes and creating my own flavors and variations. I have even started to build my own cupcake business around it! it is http://www.simplydivinecupcakes.com and http://www.facebook.com/simplydivinevegancupcakes

To answer the recent fosting question, you should definitely not microwave the frosting. I had the same problem with it being hard to pipe (too thick). it was because the frosting was not at room temp or freshly whipped. (I was making the frosting ahead to save time and piping the next day, so the frosting had been refridgerated and was therefore too stiff). I dont know if you are ecountering yur proble for that same reason, but i discovered it is best to pipe riht away. Anyway, hope it helps...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:05 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I made the Banana Split Cupcakes!

So freakin' good! I've been sharing them with everyone I can, and the boyfriend and I have eaten three each so far. YUM!

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

vegetalion wrote:
I've made almost all the cupcakes from VCTOtW, but I hadn't bothered with the chocolate stout ones because they sounded boring. WELL, I made them last week--they are awesome! One of my favorite recipes from the book, I think!

Secret: they are one of my favorite cupcakes too. Beer cupcakes!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:53 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I added blueberries to the lemon variation of the golden vanilla cupcakes with lemon buttercream and a ton of blueberries on top. They were SO GOOD. Holy cow. My BF's band and mom was over that day. They loved them, and the guitarist ate two.

I'm making them again this week for a work friend who's been on medical leave for a while. She's loved all my cupcakes in the past, so I hope she likes these too. Who am I kidding? She totally will.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:41 am 
Inflexitarian

I only got the book a few weeks ago, so I've made just one batch, but they were so delicious. I made the basic chocolate cupcakes, with peanut butter frosting, except I added a couple of tablespoons of cocoa to the frosting, to make it chocolate-peanut butter. It tasted like something Reece's-ish, which was great, since that's the only non-vegan chocolate/candy that I ever really miss. And the cake bit was so moist and yummy. They had a thin kind of still slightly wet/tacky layer on the top, I'm not sure if I under cooked them a bit, or they were meant to be like that but, either way, I liked it.

I ate half the batch, though (over a few days) and literally gained about 6 lbs. I've lost it again, now... as I both gain and lose weight quite easily... but, I think I'll have to stay away from the book for a little while.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i made the chocolate cupcakes with peanut buttercream frosting and chocolate ganache on top for a friends birthday party on friday. OMG!!!! they were seriously the yummiest cupcakes i have EVER made. the sounds coming from people were orgasmic! luckily i made a double batch, because the praise i received was totally worth it. complete strangers who arrived long after the cakes disappeared said "oh, you're jane who made the CUPCAKES." upon meeting me. hahaha, i am now some sort of legend and most people had no idea they were even vegan!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the S'mores cupcakes last night and they are great!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:24 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I decided to go outside my usual choc or vanilla comfort zone and make the lemon macadamia cupcakes and wow am I glad!! they have a really nice flavor; I was a little bummed 'cause i thought I had some white choc chips to add in as suggested but I must've used them some other time...but this is definitely a great flavor combo even without 'em, and a real butteriness from the macadamias!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:32 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Terry wrote:
vegetalion wrote:

Secret: they are one of my favorite cupcakes too. Beer cupcakes!

Vegetation, I made them on your recommendation and they are wonderful! The people I fed them to loved that they had beer in them, too.

It also helps that I then get to drink the rest of the stout.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:02 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've only made the low fat vanilla cupcakes with chocolate mousse frosting. They were delicious! I want to bake the green tea and coffee flavored cupcakes, but they ask for soy yogurt. Soy yogurt isn't carried in the grocery stores where I live now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yesterday I made the peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate ganache. Holy freaking yum! I ate two right away, good thing the recipes in that book only make 12.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next