| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:34 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

So I offered to make 100 cupcakes for my sister's wedding reception even though I have never made that many before! I was thinking of making the pineapple right side up, the coconut lime and one other that's more kid friendly. Any ideas?

Also, tips on doubling or quadrupling these recipes?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:42 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i would go with something basic for the last one like chocolate with vanilla frosting or something. coconut tends to be a polarizing ingredient. some people hate it (why?????)
plus you have 2 tropical flavors. or maybe something with the peanut butter frosting that i think is in the book somewhere (i think it's a variation) ITS SO GOOD. just dont be a dolt like me and use chunky cause the chunks will clog up your piping bag :-P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:08 am 

Oh yeah, I've got the two tropical ones because the food is going to be Cuban, I should have mentioned that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:13 pm 
And you never will.

Go you! My tips:

In my experience, I regularly get 16 cupcakes out of each batch of cupcakes from this book (with a few exceptions, such as the carrot or banana cupcakes), so don't be afraid to factor that in, and don't be tempted to over-fill your cupcake liners. Not only will you get bonus cupcakes, but they won't bake over the edge of the liners and get stuck to the top of your pan. Get yourself a #24 portion scoop (available online or in any food service supply store) and use it for filling the cupcake liners.

I have tripled and quadrupled loads of the recipes from that book, so that shouldn't be a problem at all as long as you have a large enough mixing bowl. Just try not to over mix, which is the only thing that can go a bit wrong when multiplying recipes.

Thankfully cupcakes cool quickly, so by the time one batch is done baking, the previous will be cooled and you can go ahead and stick them in your containers for transportation, so you won't need a million cooling racks.

I agree that a chocolate-based cupcake would be a good third option, but I would steer clear of peanut butter. Honestly, I would go with chocolate cake/chocolate buttercream for the final choice. You could even do a chocolate ganache drizzle if you're feeling extra-fancy.

Hmmmm... I can't think of anything else, other than you've got this! 100 sounds like a ton, but I think you'll be surprised at how fast you can knock it out once you get going!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:04 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

jojo wrote:
Star wrote:
Does anyone know, regarding the Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting, would one batch be enough to frost (top and sides) a 9 inch double layer cake or would it be worth doubling the recipe?

I would probably do 1 1/2 times the recipe but to be on the safe side you could do 2 times, it freezes well or you can just eat it with a spoon!

Thankyou!! I ended up using just one batch which was enough but was quite stiff and ended up damaging the cake (didn't help that it was 9inches which made the sponge a bit thin).

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:37 pm 

Thanks poopiebitch!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:03 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the lemon variation on the basic vanilla cupcakes with lemon-y cream cheese frosting and candied lemon peels.

Everything was seriously SO good and I usually don't go to lemon desserts. The only flaw was that I tried the sugar + blender = powder sugar trick and it. . . it did not work. My frosting is a bit gritty. The recipes are good enough that I don't CARE.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:10 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My only attempt at the sugar + blender trick yielded the same results - and I left it in there for like 20 minutes! It just strengthened my resolve to always have powdered sugar on hand, really. Those cupcakes sound amazing, grit or no grit!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:36 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Has anyone ever run into problems with the texture of the peanut butter frosting? I haven't made it in years because my kid hates nuts, but I decided he doesn't need to like EVERYTHING I bake, dammit. It tastes amazing and I think I followed the recipe exactly, but it never got stiff and it's not fluffing up at all; it's more like cookie batter before you add the dry ingredients. I tried adding more powdered sugar a bit at a time - was that the wrong way to go? I so rarely have frosting fails I don't remember how to fix 'em.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm totally gonna put it on cupcakes anyway.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:13 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Answering my own question because I believe I've had an epiphany. I stuck the frosting in a tupperware container and the oil totally separated out, and I realized this is the first time I've made it using Miyoko's vegan butter (which has a lot of coconut oil in it) rather than Earth Balance. It's worked fine in other frosting recipes, but I bet the peanut butter (even though I used no-stir) and the coconut oil combined were too much oiliness to handle on such a hot day. Maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I had the same problem with peanut butter frosting when I used earth balance. I drained the oil that separated and beat in vegetable shortening instead. It worked ok, but the texture wasn't as good as batches I have made in the past. I think my problem may have been using a natural peanut butter. I think when I have made PB frosting in the past I used commercial ones that have stabilizers, and I think those are really helpful for the frosting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:12 pm 

In my experience, junk food appreciates junk food peanut butter (though if I remember right, the recipe states to use natural? odd).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:08 am 
Nailed to the V

I've had the problem with the peanut butter frosting too. I don't know what cased it but I used Earth Balance and natural peanut butter. I think I added more sugar and it eventually got better, though still not perfect texture wise--but of course by then it was very sweet.

I would never have thought to use peanut butter with artificial ingredients but maybe I'll try it next time. I do so love making the chocolate peanut butter bombs (a variation on the chocolate cupcake), and they're even better with a little chocolate extract in the batter to make them extra-chocolatey.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:16 pm 

The vanilla cupcakes, using margarine, makes a mean "cookie dough" type cake. I just halved the sugar, replaced the second half with brown sugar. . And went crazy with the finishing touches. Cookie dough filling, vanilla buttercream (from the book/basic buttercream instinct), and mini chocolate chip cookies on each cake. I had another frosting fail in that I was impatient and it melted. Ooooops. Still forking delicious. Best cake I've ever had or made. Yummm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11