| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:26 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I'd used canned coconut milk, the drinking kind is a relatively new thing (and not available here yet anyway).

I'm making lemon-macadamia and chocolate peanut butter for a bakesale coming up. I want to eat that peanut butter frosting as is! With a spoon!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can only get canned coconut milk here. Sometimes they have a lower-fat kind which is nice for baking.
I love baking with coconut milk (just wait till you see my MoFo recipes!) - everything turns out so fluffy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:23 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

rain wrote:
I just got the book and saw that most of the frostings are made with margarine. For I don't like to use margaine, do you think I could replace it with coconut oil or something like that?

I just tried one of the chocolate frostings with coconut oil and it turned out great!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:24 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

rain wrote:
rain wrote:
I just got the book and saw that most of the frostings are made with margarine. For I don't like to use margaine, do you think I could replace it with coconut oil or something like that?

I just tried one of the chocolate frostings with coconut oil and it turned out great!

I still use margarine but I usually replace the shortening with coconut oil. Of course there are other options if you're not into big fluffy buttery icing, like the glazes and ganache. A few of the flavours I can think of to try are: rosewater pistachio (delicious), apricot almond, green tea (if you can get the matcha powder), chai (also beautiful), boston creme, peanut butter...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:16 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

rain wrote:
rain wrote:

did you change the recipe - as in, the amount of fat? I'm not too fond of using margarine in frosting either and would love to try it.

PS: Yay, another German!

PPS: "Yay, another German" as in, more Vegans in Germany, not as in - you know.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:22 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

jerusha wrote:
rain wrote:

did you change the recipe - as in, the amount of fat? I'm not too fond of using margarine in frosting either and would love to try it.

I used nearly the same amount of fat.
By the way, I made the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting and replaced both, margerine and shortening, therefore I made it with 1/2 cup of coconut oil. Maybe I still should mention that I reduced the powdered sugar from 2 1/2 cups to 1 1/2.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:45 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Made the chocolate peanut butter bomb cupcakes this weekend, and they were AMAZING. I halved the amount of sugar in the peanut butter buttercream frosting, and it was perfect for my palate. I'd only ever made the vanilla buttercream in the past, and it was tooth-achingly sweet. Less sweetness really allowed for the salty-peanutty flavor to come through.

So good!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes, or I should say that I tried making them. My mom was "helping" me, and I was distracted. I was making mini cupcakes and I opened the over door like 2 minutes after I put them in (to put something else in). And I was like "NOOOOO!!!!" Needless to say they totally fell. I was like I know better than to do that! My mom ate the messes that they were when I took them out, and she said that she really liked them. I will make them again, this time following the rules! It was kind of embarrassing, but my mom knows I know how to make great cupcakes. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:05 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The gluten-free chocolate cupcakes with chocolate buttercream frosting are delicious! I didn't make any revisions to the recipe - they came out great.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:44 pm 
Tofu Pup

Okay, so I tried to cheat and make a chocolate cake box mix for cupcakes and made them vegan and they were a DISASTER!!! So, I got out my favorite vegan author/cook's cookbook VCTOTW!!! The chocolate cupcakes just came out of the oven and turned out DELISH!!! The peanut butter frosting is in the fridge! I can't wait!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi! I've read the cupcake recipes can be made as a cake @ 1.5 the recipe. Can I use a loaf pan for these recipes?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:41 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My book just arrived :)

I live alone and only go into the office few times a month, so have emailed the local church to see if they need any extra bakers for fundraising events, figured can slowly convert the religious folk :) either that or I get really fat eating the cakes I feel compelled to make...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:45 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Once you make a batch you're going to realise that eating them all yourself is actually the only option. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:50 pm 

AusFox wrote:
Once you make a batch you're going to realise that eating them all yourself is actually the only option. ;)

now I'm scared!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:53 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I made the golden vanilla cupcakes with fluffy buttercream frosting. Yum, they were delicious.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:51 pm 
Huffs Nooch

This finally came in for me at the library so the next three weeks are going to be all cupcakes, all the time! Yay!

Last night I made the Red Velveteen cupcakes. They turned out perfectly, BUT I had to bake them for about 25 minutes instead of 18-20 like the recipe states. My (non-built-in) oven thermometer read a steady 350F and I didn't peek at all until 18 minutes, when I quickly tested the cupcakes. Is this something to be worried about?

The cupcakes are so beautiful and delicious!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:36 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I often have to cook cupcakes and muffins longer than the recipe. I have an accurate oven thermometer, so it's altitude, flour, air humidity, or my cooking vibes, who knows? I don't worry about it if they turn out fine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:33 am 
ugh

Man, that peanut butter frosting/filling is killer. I have some leftover in my fridge, along with some chocolate ganache - time to make some peanut butter truffles!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:39 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Just used the golden vanilla cupcake recipe as a base for jack fruit cupcakes! I accidentally bought jack fruit in syrup, so I needed to find a yummy way to use it! I doubled the recipe and used a mixture of half oil, half jack fruit puree. I also added a cup of chopped jack fruit. Instead of almond extract I added juice and zest from one lemon. They are sweet and delicious! Now I just need to figure out a nice icing for them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:11 am 

how do UK folk make their frosting?

I have trex and pure and have tried following various combinations in the book and the frosting always comes out awful, looks fine in the bowl but then splits or slides down on the cake. I leave the cakes to cool for 2 hours, its not heat.

I make sure the cupcakes are cooled. I leave out the pure and the trex to room temperature and follow the recipe. I use cup measures.

I'm expecting the fluffy standup icing you get in the pic's and end up with a sloppy mess :( heartbreaking as the cakes them selves are sooo good.

But wondering if the pure isn't suitable? Double the about of icing sugar?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:48 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Tiramisu cupcakes! I am in love! It's mine and the hubby's anniversary today so I wanted to make a special dessert. I used to adore tiramisu but haven't had it in years. I've looked at this recipe before but for some reason thought it was too much work or something and never made it (even though it really isn't any more work than just baking cupcakes and frosting them). They are amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ninjablossom wrote:
how do UK folk make their frosting?

I have trex and pure and have tried following various combinations in the book and the frosting always comes out awful, looks fine in the bowl but then splits or slides down on the cake. I leave the cakes to cool for 2 hours, its not heat.

I make sure the cupcakes are cooled. I leave out the pure and the trex to room temperature and follow the recipe. I use cup measures.

I'm expecting the fluffy standup icing you get in the pic's and end up with a sloppy mess :( heartbreaking as the cakes them selves are sooo good.

But wondering if the pure isn't suitable? Double the about of icing sugar?

I'm not in the UK but have you tried reducing the liquid in the frosting, or else adding more sugar? I always add the liquid (usuallly soymilk) very gradually and don't use it all if the frosting achieves the right consistency before it's necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

rohai wrote:
Tiramisu cupcakes! I am in love! It's mine and the hubby's anniversary today so I wanted to make a special dessert. I used to adore tiramisu but haven't had it in years. I've looked at this recipe before but for some reason thought it was too much work or something and never made it (even though it really isn't any more work than just baking cupcakes and frosting them). They are amazing!

The Tiramisu cupcakes are my favorites of all the ones I've tried. Agreed, amazing. My second favorite are the Chocolate Peanut Butter Bomb Cupcakes (a variation of the Chocolate Cupcakes). Also amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:49 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Made the apple cider cupcakes with homebrew. I like them, they taste very strongly of cider... They came out a bit like sponge pudding too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

:) We also made cupcakes!

we made smore cupcakes. (these were modifed with almond yoghurt because my friend is woefully allergic to soy). these were very moist. (I added liquid to dry, instead of dry to liquid). w/vegan fluffy icing. ehhhhhhh (on the icing).

my personal favourite (and I got left w/all of them) was the pineapple right side up cupcakes. oh. DELISH.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next