| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: paleo vegan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Has anyone looked through this book? There's no look inside feature on amazon and I'm wondering if it's just simple whole food vegetable side items, a bunch of raw desserts, or other no-brainer stuff. I'm looking for entrees and non-raw desserts.

I have no interest in paleo, but we sell a lot of paleo food at work, and a very high percentage is not vegan, so I'd like to bring that number down a bit.

Post subject: Re: paleo vegan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:14 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I haven't seen the book, but I can offer a veggie paleo dinner idea if that's what you mean. My brother is paleo and my family is veg*n... we say there has to be a joke out there somewhere about a paleo having dinner with a bunch of vegetarians. :)

Anyhoo, we make it work. His favorite thing I make for him is a pav bhaji without the potatoes. Pav bhaji (I hope I'm spelling it right) is an Indian street food--basically a cauliflower and potato stew that is scooped up with a yeasty bread. So the paleo (and vegan) version is cauli mashed up in a tomatoey tangy amazing sauce with bell peppers. He scoops it up with low-carb tortillas or cloud bread that I make for him when I'm feeling generous. If you're interested, I can post or message you those recipes.

Edited to say... I guess my brother is low-carb rather than strictly paleo... I'm not really sure what paleo is, except I have a vague suspicion any bread-type thing isn't kosher... or paleo... whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:45 am 
Saggy Butt

I quickly looked at this yesterday. Their concept is using up to 20% cheats with grains/legumes. The recipes are vegetable heavy, some with grains, few with beans. Not that many desserts. They scream mostly sides to me (salads, cooked vegetables), but that's because anything without beans is not an entree. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:55 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

That's disappointing that it uses cheats and sounds lame. Perhaps the author is trying to convince people that 100% paleo is not a great idea? At my job, a tiny bit of quinoa wouldn't fly in a paleo dish...but yet we mark stuff paleo that has chocolate chips in it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

There are dishes without grains or beans but they are veg heavy instead.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:53 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'm on the fence on whether I should order this. The reviews I've read have been positive but I could only find one photo and sample recipe. I'd love to see a list of recipes.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:15 am 
Impressive boner

AnnaP wrote:
I'm on the fence on whether I should order this. The reviews I've read have been positive but I could only find one photo and sample recipe. I'd love to see a list of recipes.

Sorry to interrupt on a totally unrelated subject, but who are those little sweeties in your profile picture?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:48 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Aww, those are my adopted guinea pig sons, Rolly and Poley. They've both been gone for over two years now but I still miss them every day.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I got this and I'll start trying recipes tomorrow. It's not blowing my mind just by looking at it, but the recipes are very veggie-forward, and I tend to eat very fried-potato-forward when left to my own devices. I will report back.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Okay, I tried my first two recipes.

Quinoa with Garnet Yams and Morrocan Spices: I had to sub standard-issue sweet potatoes for yams. Very good. It's simple, reasonably fast to prepare, and I really like this one.

Allium Rich Lentils: Tastes fine, but it is boring. There are like 10 million onions in this, so I really thought it would be more flavorful. I wonder if having to use more onions since I couldn't find leeks was an issue?

So far I'm happy. I'll just keep reporting back in case anyone else ever cares.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I care! The book is at home, waiting for me to come back.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:41 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

BluePooh wrote:
I haven't seen the book, but I can offer a veggie paleo dinner idea if that's what you mean. My brother is paleo and my family is veg*n... we say there has to be a joke out there somewhere about a paleo having dinner with a bunch of vegetarians. :)

Anyhoo, we make it work. His favorite thing I make for him is a pav bhaji without the potatoes. Pav bhaji (I hope I'm spelling it right) is an Indian street food--basically a cauliflower and potato stew that is scooped up with a yeasty bread. So the paleo (and vegan) version is cauli mashed up in a tomatoey tangy amazing sauce with bell peppers. He scoops it up with low-carb tortillas or cloud bread that I make for him when I'm feeling generous. If you're interested, I can post or message you those recipes.

BluePooh, I'm not paleo but that recipe sounds amazing. I would love it if you posted it or linked to it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:39 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i just got the book last week from the library. i see a bitter melon salsa i want to try.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Though I basically liked what I tried from this cookbook, it is really not suitable for people in small towns. There is way too much specialized produce for where I live. I'll try it again when I move to a larger city next year.