| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue May 24, 2016 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Silk Road Cooking
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:30 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

So, I finally got this book! It is beautiful and I am very intrigued by the many recipes that use pomegranate in some form or other.

Any recommendations? I'll also try and post reviews when I make recipes from it.

Post subject: Re: Silk Road Cooking
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!
I have made a zillion recipes from it!! The stories, the pictures, the recipes are all just so mesmerizing. I occassionally find that her recipes are a bit off (too much liquid, not enough, etc), so it definitely helps to be an experienced cook in the kitchen, and to trust your own culinary judgment along with following her recipes. I have made - and loved - so many recipes from this book, I can't even share them all. I don't want to be all "linky-linky," but if you want to see some of what I've made, here's a link to the tagged blog posts from my blog:
http://veganeatsandtreats.blogspot.com/ ... ilk%20Road

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:49 pm 
Semen Strong

Wow!!!! Amey I superpuffyheart love your blog posts the recipes look amazing!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

<3 Thanks Tofulish!! I am SUCH a sucker for unusual (to me) recipes from around the world, but the flavors of the silk road countries are definitely my most favorite. This book is such a dream come true for me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:15 pm 

Wow, thank you!!! Your blog is adorable and I love your enthusiastic descriptions of everything. Now I can't wait to start cooking from this book!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ha ha - you're welcome, Lily! When I started reading through my old posts, I got all jazzed up and wanted to make everything all over again! I'm inspired to get it out and look up some fun new recipes. <3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ooo, this is one of my favorite cookbooks. The Yazdi Polow with any variation is a house favorite! The Persian Squash Braise is also good and very seasonal. Anything with fresh favas is great, though I have noticed she likes her favas cooked more than I do - I like them to stay a emerald green rather than cook down to a khaki, so I add them later. I know there's a persimmon dessert I've made and just left out the feta, it was still tasty.

Amey, I've wanted to make a vegan version of the cauliflower kuku, so I'm excited you made a kuku with the Vegan Brunch omelette recipe! I feel like one of the Silk Road recipes is maybe how I discovered your blog in the first place! And your "happy birthday daddy" in Persian looks great! Totally readable. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:29 am 

So, I made my first three recipes from this book for a mezze style dinner:

Sicilian roasted pepper & eggplant salad: Now this one was just fantastic! I did use the amount of oil given (1/4c) which was pretty generous for the amount of veggies and it made them so silky, slurpy and wonderful! But I am a huge sucker for roasted pine nuts and I like eggplants and bell peppers a lot so I kind of knew that this one was going to be a winner! I chose parsley over cilantro but I imagine that this salad would also be fantastic with fresh basil. (The recipe has you add some crumbled cheese right before serving but it really doesn't need it)

Alexandrian spicy dried fava bean spread: This one was just okay. But I think I just don't like dried fava beans much. It also made a ton (starting with 2 cups of dried beans), much more than 4 servings if you really use it as a spread. I thinned leftovers with water and made them into fava bean dal the next day for dinner which worked really well. One more thing: the directions for cooking the fava beans were kind of confusing because they implied that if you soak the beans opver night, you don't need to cook them any more and I really don't think that would work.

Kurdish chickpea, cilantro & cumin salad: A good one, not spectacular but really solid. It was generous on the cumin and cilantro and that is what I liked. I did leave out the tomato though because I didn't have any left and also served it just by itself and not on a bed of greens which might have kicked the whole thing up from good to very good.

So, this was a pretty good start into the book I think and I am really looking forward to try out more!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The Sabzi Polow on your blog looks really awesome, did you ever get the recipe up?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:07 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm bumping this because I made the Persian Polow with Green Beans and Tomatoes. The recipe doesn't called for parboiled rice but it needs it. I didn't realize it until I realized the recipe called for no water. I added water and it came out fine but could've come out a lot better if the directions were a bit better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:26 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I got this cookbook as a holiday gift and tonight I made the Cauliflower and Potato Curry. It was good, though if I make it again I might use a little less water-- the sauce was a little more liquid than I wanted it.